Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2258873)   #76
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a fantastic weekend, weather was glorious... 1st in my class in Top Hat Saloons - even after a spin... Thought the track was great for the race, was worried is was going to be mega slippy... Thought the champagne reception for the drivers in the BRDC was a bit of a joke - Where was the champagne?????
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2258887)   #77
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola
I had a fantastic weekend, weather was glorious... 1st in my class in Top Hat Saloons - even after a spin... Thought the track was great for the race, was worried is was going to be mega slippy... Thought the champagne reception for the drivers in the BRDC was a bit of a joke - Where was the champagne?????
in the 2 liitre class? Congratulations. Until the pits stop it was a very entertaining race to watch afterwards it all became rather confusing. The white Giulia was getting ever more wild round Luffield!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2258899)   #78
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Funny - no I was very impressed with my newly built 1600 - alot better than the 2 ltr, revved to 8500+.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2258903)   #79
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just looked and saw you beat the Kremer Ti - is that an FIA 1600 class - because if so you presumably have to run at a 70kg penalty to them which is extremely impressive as I think they peddle that car well
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2258916)   #80
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Yes they are both very good drivers and an excellent prepared car. I did have a fuel problem all weekend which we didn't get to the bottom of properly - so very pleased that everything held together.. I am back at Silverstone again this weekend having been talked into doing the Bentley Drivers Club event!! Umm..
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2258969)   #81
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had a great time was allowed to keep the truck with preparers and i ahd 2 scooters "sorry all those moaning" when you are on the spanners ,driving and all the other jobs i get roped into they are a blessing.Me and Jim had 2 class wins in the Lotus 17 and i had just the best race on Sunday with a chap in his Rejo with him spinning out on the last lap handing me the class win.Great to meet SZ ,had a wave from Roger,cought up with John Gee for a chat and yes Terrance you could of borrowed the scooter . no probs.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2258974)   #82
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats very kind Iain,but I thought they had been banned.
Zola,my reference was "If it rained",then it would have been.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2258983)   #83
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
1. Some more 'period' themed signage etc. The modern logos and signage are fine for F1 (although maybe not in the future, eh?), but really detract from the feel of the meeting.

2. Maybe a pre-66 car park, a la Goodwood.

3. No post-1980 cars in the circuit at all - and yes, that means car clubs.

James
I think the change to the signs may happen for next year as the grand pprix wont be there the following year, and hey will have over a month to do it.

also, maybe more screens around(one in front of the hospitality so that the startline marshals can watch) so that you can see what the commentators are on about
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2259026)   #84
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with SZ about more screens and a pre 66 car park. I think its great to get the car clubs involved so sorry James the more the better.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2259040)   #85
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite the best efforts of the "Welcome Centre" (best oxymoron since "Microsoft Works", "Oldham Athletic" and "Vauxhall Frontera Sport" that) and the rent-a-goon Max-and-Paddy lookalikes who did their level best to prevent us from ever getting into the circuit.

Good to meet one or two 10/10ers and I'll post on here a bit more often.

JR, pm for you.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2259043)   #86
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Great to meet SZ ,had a wave from Roger,cought up with John Gee for a chat and yes Terrance you could of borrowed the scooter . no probs.
Good to meet up with all of you too . Isn't it strange that you say we could have borrowed your scooter......24 hours after we needed to! .
Get you - I mean see you! - at Castle Combe.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2259074)   #87
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from a spectators POV the event was great, however I have 2 comments:

At least 2 more screens are needed, one on the outside of copse (the infield grandstand was very busy) and another on pit straight area.

My other complaint is aimed at the commentators, please stop reminiscing and showing off and try to talk about the racing!!!

The Group C race on Sunday and the Touring car race were very difficult to follow. At one point during the Group C both Hindhaugh on 1602fm and Henry Hope on 87.7 were talking about their respective Le Mans memories, both failing to give a race order until the last 20 mins.

Please guys, think about your listeners!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2259077)   #88
simon drabble
Veteran

when I first read that I thought you meant the commentators on here!!!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2259087)   #89
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffiths
Thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite the best efforts of the "Welcome Centre" (best oxymoron since "Microsoft Works", "Oldham Athletic" and "Vauxhall Frontera Sport" that) and the rent-a-goon Max-and-Paddy lookalikes who did their level best to prevent us from ever getting into the circuit.

Good to meet one or two 10/10ers and I'll post on here a bit more often.

JR, pm for you.
I had a similar experience and so nearly turned the trailer round but decided the best approach was to ignore the git on the gate and drop the car off. On Sunday I noticed it was the old team on the gate and they were very helpful as we went about our business. Didn't actually race this year so my focus was drinking and watching the racing (and some lovely ladies). A good time was had by all.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2259088)   #90
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
when I first read that I thought you meant the commentators on here!!!
Never!!! Reminisce away
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2259090)   #91
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford prefect
Never!!! Reminisce away
DON'T encourage them!!!!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2259111)   #92
simon drabble
Veteran

One or two ten tenthers really have something worth reading about - Peter Horsman's giant killing efforts in the 17 and his excellant FJ race on Saturday - Peter you really earnt your horlicks on Saturday and were unlucky in both races to finish 2nd. The Gentleman Drivers race was excelant on the telly and definately got me in the mood to go on Sunday (which sadly a bit samey with so much single seater racing - why have the 50's sport cars on so early - put the pikey porsche racing then and have the 50's stuff when we have settled down to be entertained....

Last edited by simon drabble; 28 Jul 2008 at 15:59.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2259174)   #93
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
John i wonder if you are doing breefings at Combe you could tell some of the dimwitts driving that they dont have to drive at 50mph when the safty car is out on track.Yes you must slow down before and going past incident but there after its my understanding that you want us to form the crocadile asap.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2259183)   #94
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
John i wonder if you are doing breefings at Combe you could tell some of the dimwitts driving that they dont have to drive at 50mph when the safty car is out on track.Yes you must slow down before and going past incident but there after its my understanding that you want us to form the crocadile asap.
I agree! There was one car with a novice cross on the back that would have been lucky to be going that quick behind the safety car in one race. Seems like a perfect situation for the COC to bring that car in and explain things in no uncertain terms!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2259195)   #95
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Oh right - everyone's an expert now you've got to know me then?

Seriously you're both absolutely right (how it hurts me to say that!) and although I have mentioned it in the past, I will give that a very high priority.....and, yes, I am doing the briefings at Combe and all the other Masters meetings from now on.

Believe it or not - I DO listen to your ramblings!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2259242)   #96
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a great time over the three days.

Glad to see some space behind the garages again, the price for that was some scooters were being driven by nutters whizzing about in amongst the spectators.

The rally stage was a bonus and the flying displays were better than normal.

Having two radio stations was a good idea but why have the "colour supplement" one broadcasting on the circuit PA during the races when that station didn't have continuous commentary ?.

On the racing front I can't see why we still have modern Porsches running at the meeting, we don't have N24s or DB9s running in the Aston race.
Some of the rolling starts were very poor with huge gaps between cars and talking of that, the gaps between cars behind the SC in the BRDC sportscars were so big that the leaders caught some of the backmarkers in the complex while they were still "under SC conditions".

Still, great weather, excellent racing and I can't wait for next year.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2259295)   #97
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffiths
Thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite the best efforts of the "Welcome Centre" (best oxymoron since "Microsoft Works", "Oldham Athletic" and "Vauxhall Frontera Sport" that)
Sorry, a complete tangent from the Silverstone Classic discussion, but while you mention the above, the most ridiculous example of modern semantics I've seen recently (and the wife and I were bent over double in hysterics) was in the window of a shop selling mobility scooters, where the top of the range model was called the 'Celebrity X Sport'.

SPORT???!!!

Lest you think I'm joking, see here: http://www.mobilitymegastore.co.uk/item2074.htm

WTF???!

Anyway (cue Ronnie Corbett voice) back to the discussion....
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2259317)   #98
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attended sat/sun and thought it was the best historic meeting I had been to and I have seen a few! Just one moan WTF is Judy Lyons still being allowed to start F1 races? The lady is clearly a danger to other competitors and at Silvertsone couldn't keep up with the Jaguar safety/fire car in her Surtees TS9. Shocking!
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2259349)   #99
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Oh right - everyone's an expert now you've got to know me then?

Seriously you're both absolutely right (how it hurts me to say that!) and although I have mentioned it in the past, I will give that a very high priority.....and, yes, I am doing the briefings at Combe and all the other Masters meetings from now on.

Believe it or not - I DO listen to your ramblings!
John out of interest since F1 have opened our eyes to the unlapping rule under a safety car is this the case with historics or is it something peculiar to F1?
Re the crossed car I am surprised the meeting wasn't National A licence - but Roger dont be too hard on novices we were alll one once and more importamtly my son will be one next season!
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2259354)   #100
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think many people who drive the old F12 acrs would be capable Simon

as for novices, most of us still are truth be told!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
John out of interest since F1 have opened our eyes to the unlapping rule under a safety car is this the case with historics or is it something peculiar to F1?
Re the crossed car I am surprised the meeting wasn't National A licence - but Roger dont be too hard on novices we were alll one once and more importamtly my son will be one next season!