Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Jan 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2376605)   #76
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Astonished by Audi only taking up two works entries - unless they're reprising 2001 and running two works along with a pair of privateers.
This probably paves the way for 2 or 3 of the Audi works drivers to run LMS and Le Mans with Kolles - otherwise with 3 works cars at Le Mans, if Kolles ran works drivers in LMS he would have no drivers for Le Mans
Old 22 Jan 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2376640)   #77
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err, you guys do remember that Audi said this: "Audi Sport Team Joest will field three new R15 TDI prototypes in the 24 Hours of Le Mans." ?

If Audi had taken up that third automatic entry there would have been 2 North America cars and only 1 Team Joest. They know the ACO will accept a third R15 anyways, so they decide not to take up the second NA entry and apply for a second Team Joest car. (maximum number of cars per 'team' = 2)

If those Joest cars take first and second and North America car finishes outside the top 2 there is another problem solved as Joest will have two automatic entries and North America name is officially gone from Le Mans then.

(Ditto story for Team Goh mentioned before. Better to win Le Mans under your own banner than racing it and seeing "Van Merksteijn Motorsport" in the history books.)
Old 22 Jan 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2376675)   #78
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Err, you guys do remember that Audi said this: "Audi Sport Team Joest will field three new R15 TDI prototypes in the 24 Hours of Le Mans." ?

If Audi had taken up that third automatic entry there would have been 2 North America cars and only 1 Team Joest. They know the ACO will accept a third R15 anyways, so they decide not to take up the second NA entry and apply for a second Team Joest car. (maximum number of cars per 'team' = 2)

If those Joest cars take first and second and North America car finishes outside the top 2 there is another problem solved as Joest will have two automatic entries and North America name is officially gone from Le Mans then.

(Ditto story for Team Goh mentioned before. Better to win Le Mans under your own banner than racing it and seeing "Van Merksteijn Motorsport" in the history books.)
You are probably right - but it is not beyond possibilites that things have changed and when the opportunity to sell two R10's to Kolles came along they decided to save the cost of building one of the R15's. It all depends in what is in the terms of the 'Service agreement'
Old 22 Jan 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2376779)   #79
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if Creation plan to enter this year?
Old 22 Jan 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2376805)   #80
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure what their planning at all to be honest . They did write off the LMS saying that there was little chance , but said that they would more than likely do the ALMS , or at least some of it ..... but that seems to have petered out . Maybe they will just do the big events like Sebring and PLM ?

Do they deserve an entry at Le Mans ?

I think they bit off more than they could chew . Mignt be better for them to regroup in LMP2 ? Shame really ..... I loved it when that car went well .

About the 3rd R15 , if they enter one , can you see the ACO turning them away ?
Old 22 Jan 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2376846)   #81
Jennifer_ni
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally i do think they deserve an entry. Their car is always well preparedd and they are a very professional team and when it all comes together for them they have proved in the passt they can get the results.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2377127)   #82
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
I'm confused (not for the first time!)

GM were ion doubt because of the credit crunch, they's run out of money etc., but they have accepted their two automatic entries in GT1.

Aston, however, have remained silent, but have not taken up a GT1 entry. Does this mean no Astons in GT1, or will there be a works-supported private entry or two?

Conversely, does it mean that all of AM's efforts will go into P1? If so, will it still be with a Lola chassis?

Does anyone have any information/suggestions/wild guesses?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2377235)   #83
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
Personally i do think they deserve an entry. Their car is always well preparedd and they are a very professional team and when it all comes together for them they have proved in the passt they can get the results.
Yeah well , Le Mans is a little bit more special than an average LMS race . Would you turn away a better car to let a Creation in ?

Creation sadly , have lost their way , and as much as they might deserve an entry , they dont on past recent results ..... at all !!!

When was the last few times that it has come together for Creation ?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2377241)   #84
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux
I'm confused (not for the first time!)

GM were ion doubt because of the credit crunch, they's run out of money etc., but they have accepted their two automatic entries in GT1.

Aston, however, have remained silent, but have not taken up a GT1 entry. Does this mean no Astons in GT1, or will there be a works-supported private entry or two?
I believe AM have said they'd support GT1 teams capable of getting a result. That probably means Gigawave and possibly Jetalliance, at least there was some talk about them applying.

Quote:
Conversely, does it mean that all of AM's efforts will go into P1? If so, will it still be with a Lola chassis?
From what I've read: Built by Lola for Aston Martin. Different design than last year's.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2377447)   #85
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
I believe AM have said they'd support GT1 teams capable of getting a result. That probably means Gigawave and possibly Jetalliance, at least there was some talk about them applying.

From what I've read: Built by Lola for Aston Martin. Different design than last year's.
Thanks for the clarification Dead Eye
Old 23 Jan 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2377528)   #86
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So did AM give a statement about not taking up auto GT1 spots?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2377835)   #87
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
Anyone know if Creation plan to enter this year?
Both Le Mans and the ALMS are on their list as of a few days ago. Whether or not the ACO will grant the invite? Or they will actually make the ALMS grid? But I hope so!!

L.P.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2377995)   #88
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Creation are one of the squads that I think warrant an entry. I know there'll always be a debate between people like me who like the diversity and romance of the enthusiatic guys who have a go and sometimes have things come good for them, and those who'd like another R15 or 908 on the grid, but Creation have been solid supporters of sportscar racing on both sides of the Atlantic for many years, and they deserve some credit for that.

There is also the issue that the CA07 isn't a bad car at all. It's clearly capable of lapping quickly, especially when you think about it being on Dunlops, and a lot of their on track problems in recent years can be put down to simple bad luck (JC-W's accident at Monza, Nakano's propensity to drive into things in 2007 for example) and while off track they've unquestionably had their issues I'd not hold that against them as far as letting them come along in June.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2378089)   #89
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Creation have been solid supporters of sportscar racing on both sides of the Atlantic for many years, and they deserve some credit for that.
They certainly deserve credit .

Overall , Le Mans is the biggest race in the world , and some level of success and reliability should accompany an entry .

I certainly dont like the idea of more than 2 Audi's & Pug's doing the rounds .

But I want to see a car that will be reasonably reliable and put on a good show ..... which sadly Creation cant do , or at least has never done up until now anyway .

Why not let in a Lavaggi then ..... and a customer one as well .
Old 24 Jan 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2378093)   #90
Sirius Motorspo
Rookie

Denmark
Odense, Denmark
Sirius Motorspo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like danish squad Poulsen Motorsport will be racing the Essex Porsche Spyder inthe 24H this summer with Kristian Poulsen, Casper Elgaard and possibly Sasha Maassen in the driver line-up and John Nielsen as Team Manager..

Maassen had an entry in his guestbook about this topic late yesterday evening, but it was gone this morning, so something is up, for sure..;-)

People very close to management i Essex Invest have already comfirmed the rumour on danish forum motorsporten.dk

http://www.motorsporten.dk/forum/Sho...stID=9523#9523 (Danish Only..)
Old 24 Jan 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2378105)   #91
The Badger
Veteran

Nice one ..... whats this Poulsen like ?

The car will still have to be entered under the Team Essex banner though . Porsche obviously are helping out a bit here , Maassen is a works driver , and up until last week his 2009 calender was still open .

Any word about that West-Tec Spyder rumour ?

Last edited by The Badger; 24 Jan 2009 at 09:40.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2378179)   #92
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
They certainly deserve credit .

Overall , Le Mans is the biggest race in the world , and some level of success and reliability should accompany an entry .

I certainly dont like the idea of more than 2 Audi's & Pug's doing the rounds .

But I want to see a car that will be reasonably reliable and put on a good show ..... which sadly Creation cant do , or at least has never done up until now anyway .

Why not let in a Lavaggi then ..... and a customer one as well .
In principle I wholly agree - I'd love to see a Lavaggi at Le Mans, although he's consistently said he can run a number of races for the price of a run at the 24 hours. In particular I can see this argument having validity for a 2nd Creation entry - in 2006 and perhaps 2007 an argument could have been made for them warranting a second car, this is much less strong a case now.

That said, Lavaggi aside, what car is being kept out by a single Creation? ECO Radical perhaps?

Aside from that I see Rollcentre have put an entry application in to run their Pescarolo (which clearly hasn't sold). Hope they get an invite (even if this does run contrary to my "oh no not yet another" argument) - another great team that's brought a lot to the race over the years.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2378275)   #93
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
That said, Lavaggi aside, what car is being kept out by a single Creation? ECO Radical perhaps?
Maybe a decent LMP2 , GT1 or GT2 .
Old 24 Jan 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2378424)   #94
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Confirmation of Creation's application for Le Mans. here

L.P.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2378556)   #95
The Badger
Veteran

Will they do a full ALMS campaign ..... hope so ?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2378557)   #96
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Will they do a full ALMS campaign ..... hope so ?
Seems to be their plans/hopes!

L.P.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2380411)   #97
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Memo Gidley joins Racing Box for Le Mans. Source: Marshall Pruett @ RLM
Old 27 Jan 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2380880)   #98
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Seems to be their plans/hopes!

L.P.
Don't get me started on that. Hopefully they return to the LMS soon though.

Anyway, i'm amazed Horag won't take up their entry. They have been one of my favourite LMP2 teams, so to see them not enter is dissapointing.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2381264)   #99
Jennifer_ni
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Confirmation of Creation's application for Le Mans. here

L.P.

Excellent!!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2381877)   #100
The Badger
Veteran

Im just wondering if we will see Fernandez at Le Mans with his Acura LMP2 ?

He says that he has the budget for ALMS from Lowes ..... Lowes sponsored him at Le mans in 2007 , and he says its basically unfinished business for him and he wants to do it again .

Be great to see that LMP2 car at Le Mans !!!

Tags
2009 le mans, 2009 le mans entries