Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Dec 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2593585)   #76
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
If it really gets that bad, perhaps they should consolidate the series back into a European-only (plus Macao, possibly) series and scrap the proposed four race ETCC. There are teams that are interested in a European campaign as evidenced by the interest in the new ETCC-format, so decent numbers of cars on the grid could probably be maintained. Nothing worse than touring car racing with miniscule fields.
What about going for an 8-round European Championship which, when combined with 4 flyaways, becomes the 12 round World Championship? The ETCCup could be scrapped entirely, or stay as one round. The flyaways being US (San Jose street circuit?), Mexico, Japan and Macau. Admittedly a new set of technical regulations would be a good idea before it goes to the US.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2594007)   #77
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Duke, how would you fill the grid of non-European races? My answer is attracting non-European teams with a World Touring Car Cup. It would run in counter-season with a shorter calendar and very few European circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
2010-2011 FIA World Touring Car Cup calendar proposal:

September 2010 - Race of Germany, Oschersleben (BMW rules)
September 2010 - Race of Spain, Cheste (Seat rules)
October 2010 - Race of Japan, Okayama
November 2010 - Race of Macau, Guia
March 2011 - Race of Brazil, Curitiba
March 2011 - Race of Mexico, Puebla
April 2011 - Race of Italy, Imola / Monza (Alfa rules)
May 2011 - Race of Morocco, Marrakech

The ACO Int'l Trophy could join them at Okayama and Monza. Possible future venues: Shanghai, Australia, United States, South Africa, Middle East.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2594623)   #78
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Confirmation from BMW.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4259

Farfus and Priaulx will drive for RBM in 2010 as only works team.

Schitzer will run Dirk & Jorg Muller in European Sportscars (VLM, Nurburgring) in the M3 GTR - no longer in the WTCC.

ROAL no longer BMW backed.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2594633)   #79
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ROAL won't be in the WTCC anymore I doubt. Zanardi (they're only consistent driver for years) gone, no BMW Italy-Spain branding anymore, I think there gone.

Fields looking a bit thin next year isn't it...

2 BMWs (RBM - Priaulx & Farfus)
3 Chevvys (RML - Muller, Huff & Menu)
2 SEATs (SEAT Sport - Tarquini & Gene)

Which is a very weak field. Sure, in the european rounds there will be a lot of privateers, but for those early fly aways in Brazil & Mexico could be dire.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 04:47 (Ref:2594724)   #80
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
...but for those early fly aways in Brazil & Mexico could be dire.
Not good at all, as if the series starts with looking abandoned, neither drivers nor their sponsors might show interest by the time they get to Europe.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 05:39 (Ref:2594729)   #81
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
3 Chevvys (RML - Muller, Huff & Menu).
I've heard Chevy want to increase their team. They talk about 5 cars, isnt it?
Old 6 Dec 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2594811)   #82
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was if BMW and SEAT had kept their number of cars up I believe.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2594819)   #83
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
ROAL won't be in the WTCC anymore I doubt. Zanardi (they're only consistent driver for years) gone, no BMW Italy-Spain branding anymore, I think there gone.
Zanardi hasn't necessarily left ROAL or retired. He was asked if he would be in WTCC next year and he said 99% he wouldn't - meaning that BMW would pull some of the cars rather than he wanting to leave. He has since said that he hopes to still be racing for BMW in some form next year.

I agree that ROAL won't be in WTCC next year, but not that Zanardi has gone. If he's racing anywhere next year I expect he to still be with ROAL - he not only has a good relationship with the team he also has a family connection.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2594823)   #84
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok View Post
That was the early rumour but looks very unlikely now. There is a suggestion of a fourth car if the Chinese or East Asian division of the company can find a budget - currently the whole operation is funded by Chevrolet Europe.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2594824)   #85
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Not good at all, as if the series starts with looking abandoned, neither drivers nor their sponsors might show interest by the time they get to Europe.
Only 7 factory cars which means opportunities for privateers to score top 5 results or even podiums. Less factory cars so more TV coverage for the front running privateers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok View Post
Because the decreased involvement of BMW and Seat they stay with 3 cars. If this is true I don't know.

For me this is a weak excuse. For years BMW and Seat both entered 5 cars. Why can't Chevy increase their lineup to 4 or 5 cars?

It would not surprise me to see Zanardi in a ROAL BMW in Superstars next season.

Last edited by FIRE; 6 Dec 2009 at 19:06.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2594891)   #86
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
For me this is a weak excuse. For years BMW and Seat both entered 5 cars. Why can't Chevy increase their lineup to 4 or 5 cars?
Your kidding, right? The motor industry is currently going through its worse period ever, GM (Chevrolet's owner) has just gone through bankruptcy and is losing billions and laying off tens of thousands of people. Manufacturers are pulling out or reducing in all forms of the sport - but you think Chevrolet are being weak and should spend more money by running 5 cars???

Unbelievable......
Old 6 Dec 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2594912)   #87
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would not surprise me to see Zanardi in a ROAL BMW in Superstars next season.
I think, Ravaglia need just to implant hand steering from Zanardi's WTCC 320si in his Superstars M3.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2594927)   #88
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's too late for new brands, isn't it? Alfa Romeo should be entering in 2011 with the Guilietta or the 159's replacement. Ford said that the Focus could race if the WTCC had the same regulations as the WRC. Honda, Toyota / Lexus and Mitsubishi are other brands that I believe could enter the championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
GM (Chevrolet's owner) has just gone through bankruptcy and is losing billions and laying off tens of thousands of people [...] - but you think Chevrolet are being weak and should spend more money
Not every GM division is broke. GM Latin America is more than healthy, for example. GM's main money drain are United States and Canada.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2594939)   #89
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not every GM division is broke. GM Latin America is more than healthy, for example. GM's main money drain are United States and Canada.
I think your missing my point. People should be thankful and congratulate Chevvy just for staying in the series when the other manufacturers are reducing or pulling out. But instead some people moan that they don't increase their costs by running more cars whilst they are losing heaps of money and putting people out of work!
Old 6 Dec 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2595007)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Your kidding, right? The motor industry is currently going through its worse period ever, GM (Chevrolet's owner) has just gone through bankruptcy and is losing billions and laying off tens of thousands of people. Manufacturers are pulling out or reducing in all forms of the sport - but you think Chevrolet are being weak and should spend more money by running 5 cars???

Unbelievable......
When you quote me than quote my full post.

If it's really true they had plans to increase to 5 cars but now stick with 3 because Seat and BMW enter less cars than I find that a weak excuse. Or would BMW and Seat have payed the bills for those 2 cars?
Old 7 Dec 2009, 00:28 (Ref:2595150)   #91
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Excuse? Why is it an excuse? FACTs are -

Chevrolet almost certainly expected BMW/SEAT to retain 4-5 car line-ups when they were planning to expand.

Now BMW and SEAT have announced/expected to announce vastly reduced programs, BMW to 2 cars and SEAT to 2-3 (or 0), Chevrolet don't need to spend the money to match BMW/SEAT team size anymore.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2595460)   #92
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the term would be ''Chevrolet using a hammer to crack an egg''
Old 8 Dec 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2596107)   #93
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
No, quoting only the fragment of text that someone wants to reply is right. That's what I did in this post, for example: leaving your comments about other stuff would confuse the reader.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2596195)   #94
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
No, quoting only the fragment of text that someone wants to reply is right. That's what I did in this post, for example: leaving your comments about other stuff would confuse the reader.
Your missing my point but forget it.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2597872)   #95
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

If it's really true they had plans to increase to 5 cars but now stick with 3 because Seat and BMW enter less cars than I find that a weak excuse. Or would BMW and Seat have payed the bills for those 2 cars?
Win by the smallest margin - Prost eh?

If it was still desperate megateam 5 car win-at-all-cost games then they would have to, but they don't have to, so they don't.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2597936)   #96
touring fan01
Veteran

The WTCC Bureau has been scrapped. There will be no balancing of performance during the season.

Good. But why did it take them so many seasons for them to realise that the constant fiddling was ridiculous!
Old 11 Dec 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2598202)   #97
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Excuse? Why is it an excuse? FACTs are -

Chevrolet almost certainly expected BMW/SEAT to retain 4-5 car line-ups when they were planning to expand.
do you know that for sure??? doubt it

It has been rumoured for quite some time in the paddock that both would slim down. Didn't ORECA or Muller also let that slip publicly a while back
Old 12 Dec 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2598391)   #98
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At last, there's some sence in predictions competition.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2598464)   #99
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
At last, there's some sence in predictions competition.
???
Old rules stand as they are, only there will be no new rules. How does that affect predictions in any way or form?
Old 26 Dec 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2605225)   #100
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Tiago Monteiro is hoping to continue his career with SEAT in the WTCC next year, despite uncertainty over the Spanish manufacturer's future, although he warns that the championship faces a "transitional season" in 2010.
"There are plenty of opportunities out there," he said. "Nothing is confirmed; everybody struggled to finalise their deals. For professional drivers, 2010 – if you want to get paid to drive – is going to be a tough year. But maybe in the Le Mans Series, or the new GT World Championship, there are some opportunities.

"I've also had some contact over the last two years with Superleague Formula and they have been putting a lot of pressure on me to move back to single-seaters, so that could be another option. I just need to be more confident that the championship will evolve. I'm pretty impressed with what they've done so far, to be honest."

The Portuguese driver is also considering offers from Japan after testing with the NISMO Super GT squad at Fuji earlier this month.

"They knew that I was interested in the GT1 championship, and they are preparing a new GT1 car," he said.

"They called me up to do this GT500 test in Japan, so I went over there and I tried the car, which was pretty impressive actually. It's a shame that in Europe we don't know that much about it – we know about it, we read about it in AUTOSPORT, but it's an amazing car and an amazing championship.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80680

Didn't he bring money with him last few seasons?