Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Dec 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2801565)   #76
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cant agree,you guys obviously enjoy the lower end of spectating..,muddy bank,deck chair,crap view.Back in the day when the grandstand was at the bomb hole it was always full(you could actually see half the circuit sitting in it),at big meetings it was difficult to get a seat in it.Places thoughout the world where ive watched motorsport are far more comfortable and enjoyable with spectators needs in mind.Snetterton could be great with a bit more consideration for spectators,apart from the die hard fans theres no way they are going to atract new spectators with such lack lustre facilities no matter how much money they throw at the track.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2801573)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda View Post
Cant agree,you guys obviously enjoy the lower end of spectating..,muddy bank,deck chair,crap view.
Really? Surely being able to move around is an advantage? Granted its nice to be covered from the weather but I think static tends to dull the experience.

Quote:
Back in the day when the grandstand was at the bomb hole it was always full(you could actually see half the circuit sitting in it),at big meetings it was difficult to get a seat in it. Places thoughout the world where ive watched motorsport are far more comfortable and enjoyable with spectators needs in mind.
Do you watch club motorsport or international (F1/GT, etc.) events at these international venues?

Quote:
Snetterton could be great with a bit more consideration for spectators,apart from the die hard fans theres no way they are going to atract new spectators with such lack lustre facilities no matter how much money they throw at the track.
If you are a die hard fan presumably you'll be at the 360 meeting 30 April. If so do pop in to the garage. You may even get a bacon sarnie.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2801662)   #78
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thankyou very much Peter I might take you up on that.All I am saying is that 4 or 5 30 seater stands around the track would be great,I`m not expecting Silverstone,but It would be great to settle down and take in the whole event in comfort.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2802004)   #79
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thankyou very much Peter I might take you up on that.All I am saying is that 4 or 5 30 seater stands around the track would be great,I`m not expecting Silverstone,but It would be great to settle down and take in the whole event in comfort.
Having long campaigned for better stands at snetterton,I would just comment that I can remember when the many stands were comprising scaffold pole framing with "bucket"seats made from old school plastic seats,usuall carved down so as to fit the poles!
Yes,I normally frequented the Bombhole stand,but things have to move on,and as long as the racing is good.............
Carrotcruncher.
p.s.what the h***l is Facebook?
Old 9 Dec 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2802019)   #80
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember well the old scaffold and corrugated iron stands at the Start Line and Riches. At large meetings when they charged for the seats I worked in the little "wooden box" taking the money- getting paid to watch the racing instead of paying !!!. If they do put up grandstands I bet they will not be free !!! Lets see what the new banking is like - I suppose they could bed some seats into the high banking
Old 9 Dec 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2802049)   #81
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In general, the circuits are looking much better than they did 10 or 15 years ago - but stands do seem to have disappeared. Oulton's have gone (but Cadwell's are still there) - it is an H&S issue? I think what we're talking about is free (or at least reasonably priced) stands - its rather galling to pay £12 to get into a clubby at Thruxton, then be asked for another £8 to get into a stand!
Old 9 Dec 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2802165)   #82
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thruxton Grandstand admission is a joke, the thing is always empty when they are charging, make it £3 and pack it out! Unless on the occassions they do open it for free and i am sure i have been in there in the last couple of years.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2802196)   #83
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if there are no grandstands, only bankings, the usual crowd will get there at 6am and stick all their folding chairs and fishing tents at the front so nobody else can see.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2802402)   #84
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
As ever. The best I saw last year was at Castle Combe. 4 Welsh guys with scaffolding, tarp, and a LARGE comfy sofa! The tarp was over the scaffold, to keep the weather out...

Some folk seem to choose to sit just where there's a photo oportunity 'gap' in the fence, and seem surprised when folk get upset that they have occupied this spot for the whole day... It's not just in the UK, they do it at Spa, too!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2811474)   #85
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that there is a simulation Video on what it should look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DgSw_EARM
Old 5 Jan 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2811510)   #86
diddy100
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
I see Autosport.com has also picked this up - I like the trees !!!

Lets hope building work is still on track after all the bad weather - they do appear to working late into the night. Also wonder when the new corner names will be released.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2811512)   #87
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
looks good, cant wait to get on it. WQe are there early next year bets we dont get the 300!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2811547)   #88
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
In general, the circuits are looking much better than they did 10 or 15 years ago - but stands do seem to have disappeared. Oulton's have gone (but Cadwell's are still there) - it is an H&S issue? I think what we're talking about is free (or at least reasonably priced) stands - its rather galling to pay £12 to get into a clubby at Thruxton, then be asked for another £8 to get into a stand!
Don't quote me but I believe the issues are both Health and Safety legislation (including the manning of stands with safety stewards) and the 'rateable value' of permanent structures such as grandstands being added to the business rates for the circuit.
I guess the H & S issues are the result of the number of tragedies and disasters at grandstands (not as far as I can remember at motor sport venues) over the years and it's probably not cost effective to have them and comply with all the rules and regulations when set against the added revenue that they generate.
Maybe a real expert may be able to give us a more accurate view?
Old 5 Jan 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2811610)   #89
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
Actually driving round it (as it were) the feeling that they've crammed a lot in to a little bit of space feels more apparent. I will reserve final comment until I see it in the flesh - but I'm now more aprehnsive than I was before, as there are a load of hairpins and it's not quite as flowing as it was.

In other news - why does that F2 have an old bed spring in the gearbox for down-changes?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2814806)   #90
diddy100
Racer

England
A few pictures of the current status of development - as per press day today. Development on target - will need a lot of grass seed !!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5820555...7625682718411/
Old 12 Jan 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2814814)   #91
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard a lot of drivers complaining that the new layout will ruin Coram, but I thought everyone's biggest issue with Snet was Russesls and now it's a proper corner? Must say I've never liked watching at Russells, The Esses is always the place to be.

Also, that looks like very little run off at the new Russell considering modern OTT run offs! All looks good though, thanks for the photos
Old 12 Jan 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2814876)   #92
diddy100
Racer

England
the run off area at Russel is bigger than previous as the barriers have been moved back - picture does not show this well- lost a bit of spectator banking depth but the bank has been longer.
Also one of the new corners will be named BRUNDLE - final names to be released in a month or so
Old 12 Jan 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2814882)   #93
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some great old footage on ITV 'About Anglia' tonight...they showed club racing from 1970 with FFs and F100s. The BBC Look East footage showed brief clips of Clark winning the 1963 Autosport-3 hours in the Normand racing Lotus 23. New track looks great! All the previous Donington operators managed to do in 12 months was build a faulty tunnel and dig some big holes. The guys at Snett have added another mile of track and loads of armco in less than two months...with Christmas hols inbetween too. Bravo.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2814922)   #94
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy100 View Post
Also one of the new corners will be named BRUNDLE - final names to be released in a month or so
I'm exicted by this, I'm kind of anxious to see if the corner name I put down gets used.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2814946)   #95
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there today as well, and I've very impressed with progress. What you don't see on the plan or the video is the camber on some of the curves
Old 12 Jan 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2814947)   #96
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bet most clubbies will be on the 200 anyhow so nothing much changes really.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2814961)   #97
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we've just been told that our 1st Superkart round on the April 16th/17th is on the 300!!! Im really looking forward to it, arent they resurfacing the whole rest of the track as well?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2814972)   #98
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes
Old 13 Jan 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2815134)   #99
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
Well, we've just been told that our 1st Superkart round on the April 16th/17th is on the 300!!! Im really looking forward to it, arent they resurfacing the whole rest of the track as well?
Really, are you on the BARC card then as we (CTCRC) are there the same weekend? I have just seen the Kumho Bimmers are also on the card and it definitely says the 300, looks a bit more expensive though to enter (£340 for a double header!!).

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Jan 2011 at 08:40.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2815173)   #100
diddy100
Racer

England
A few more pictures from the BBC Norfolk web of Wed press day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/norfolk/...00/9359827.stm