Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Nov 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2795808)   #76
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well let my type slower for you

skaife made some fancy comment about having to re-join by the next corner, the rule you quoted does not support that, it just says may re-join safetly, no mention of where. Another example of this happening was at the indy round where Jamie and the Giz both cut the chicane, in that incident at Indy, neither driver joined the track by the next corner, yet skaife did not mention that rule then. I think he is making that up. It is a quite common occurance for drivers to re-join the track at the 3rd corner at Sandown

i'm aware what you were referring too when you mentioned GT, and if anything what i said supported you, it showed GT as a DNF not a DNS, it just recorded him as having completed negative 1 lap

the mention of the figure 8 is a poor example, you are suggesting that a car that goes off the track , no matter how minor should wait to all the cars go past and then re-join. that doesnt happen in any form of motorsport. the normal procedure is you enter towards the edge of the track and not cut accross in front of people, this is what Dumbrell did. he was safe and the stewards support what i am saying in this case. GT made multiple contact with Dumbrell, he was aware where Dumbrell was and had the opportunity to make the corner safetly and without contact, but the red mist was on and he made an error of judgment.

Im sorry motor racing is not safe enough for you
Old 25 Nov 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2795819)   #77
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To quote an example using Winton, if you leave the track at the Sweeper (Turn 6)you should rejoin prior to Turn 7 (The Tank) but so long as you don't make up ground you tend to get away with rejoining at Turn 8. Rejoining onto the back straight (T9-10) is frowned upon as you're short cutting nearly half the track.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2795852)   #78
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
If a driver goes spearing off the track at 200ks or more I can't honestly imagine him driving back 100m off track against the flow of traffic just to rejoin at a specific corner........on most occassions they're probably just happy to get out the kitty litter.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2795934)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Story Here
Old 26 Nov 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2796008)   #80
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on whether that car is shagged?
Old 26 Nov 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2796049)   #81
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love balanced journalism. 'Horror collision... smashing across concrete ripple strips... slammed into the tyre wall... thudding into the ground'. I thought I was reading a 'Boy's Own' annual. A big shunt then. Actually, how do you 'smash across' anyway? That'd be a slide, presumably.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2796119)   #82
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Well let my type slower for you

skaife made some fancy comment about having to re-join by the next corner, the rule you quoted does not support that, it just says may re-join safetly, no mention of where. Another example of this happening was at the indy round where Jamie and the Giz both cut the chicane, in that incident at Indy, neither driver joined the track by the next corner, yet skaife did not mention that rule then. I think he is making that up. It is a quite common occurance for drivers to re-join the track at the 3rd corner at Sandown

i'm aware what you were referring too when you mentioned GT, and if anything what i said supported you, it showed GT as a DNF not a DNS, it just recorded him as having completed negative 1 lap

the mention of the figure 8 is a poor example, you are suggesting that a car that goes off the track , no matter how minor should wait to all the cars go past and then re-join. that doesnt happen in any form of motorsport. the normal procedure is you enter towards the edge of the track and not cut accross in front of people, this is what Dumbrell did. he was safe and the stewards support what i am saying in this case. GT made multiple contact with Dumbrell, he was aware where Dumbrell was and had the opportunity to make the corner safetly and without contact, but the red mist was on and he made an error of judgment.

Im sorry motor racing is not safe enough for you
To continue this debate would be pointless, because you and I clearly differ on fundamental concepts such as "safety" and "lunacy".

I'm sorry too - that you have an 'anything goes' attitude to racing etiquette.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2796198)   #83
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It was overshadowed by Will's situation but if you can watch a replay take a look at just how hard Caruso hit the tyres as well.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2796227)   #84
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On this one, I agree with Pecky. Of course you can feed in without the entire field passing. Join off line, and accelerate up to speed and rejoin the pack, just as you will when getting onto the motorway from the hard shoulder.

Of course, haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if that's what he did, but the fact is it's possible with a bit of common sense. Like most things motorsport, it's only dangerous when you do it badly or thoughtlessly.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2796367)   #85
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
it's only dangerous when you do it badly or thoughtlessly.
And I don't think it was either Woolley. It reminded me of Tanders desparation move at GC. "I can't let him get in front of me". Oops shouldn't have done that again.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2797231)   #86
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
On this one, I agree with Pecky. Of course you can feed in without the entire field passing. Join off line, and accelerate up to speed and rejoin the pack, just as you will when getting onto the motorway from the hard shoulder.

Of course, haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if that's what he did, but the fact is it's possible with a bit of common sense. Like most things motorsport, it's only dangerous when you do it badly or thoughtlessly.
Ah yes, but you come from a country - dammit, an entire region - where rulebooks are only used for doorstops. Exhibit A: the 1987 Group A Eggenberger Sierras and factory BMWs (the Aussie scrutineers pinged them at Bathurst).

At least here there's usually someone who isn't afraid to speak up when someone's 'bending the rules'.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2797514)   #87
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
Ah yes, but you come from a country - dammit, an entire region - where rulebooks are only used for doorstops. Exhibit A: the 1987 Group A Eggenberger Sierras and factory BMWs (the Aussie scrutineers pinged them at Bathurst).

At least here there's usually someone who isn't afraid to speak up when someone's 'bending the rules'.
Don't forget Exhibit B, '88 TWR Commodores.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2797634)   #88
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post

Swiss and German, IIRC, nothing to do with us fair-minded Poms! Even TWR is Scottish so I can disociate myself from them as well, not that any of those Rovers or Jags were ever illegal, of course...

I'm not sure GrpA ever had a proper rule book, I suspect they made it up as they went along.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2797824)   #89
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't see a problem with what PD did, or anyone else at that spot either.

If you apply the arguement offered up by some trying to judge him I wonder what they make of all the guys who over shoot the back straight at Sandown, cross the grass and rejoin down at the bottom of the hill at Dandenong?
Old 1 Dec 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2798037)   #90
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
I have actually closed the book on that one ! odds on favorite

After the hours of delays for fence repairs at the recent Shannons round, Sandown is proving to be quite fragile it seems.

The very old armco is almost past its use-by date.

Makes you wonder how they get past the CAMS Safety inspection ?
Sorry to re-quote myself, but after two red flagged races in two days, tyres into the crowd on Sunday, and a combined delay of nearly 3 hours, surely the Elephant in the room isn't that invisible ?

Or has this place been reduced to bickering about an alleged dangerous re-join, and trying to blame PD for Garth's flat tyre ?

I simply cannot understand how a track with fences built 25+ years ago, can still be considered safe ? (100 million bonus points to the first correct answer to the following)

Who signed off on the CAM$ track safety inspection prior to the Sandown event ?

But seriously, how many times do cars have to crash before someone is seriously injured....

And then watch the Sunday Afternoon experts come out in condemnation of the place.

Old 1 Dec 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2798315)   #91
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saftey can always be looked at but from the incidents that happened you'd probably be hard pressed to ask for a better out come.

Three major crashed Bright, Tander, Davison & Caruso, no one hurt, cars repaired for next days racing for the first two, a delay in proceedings (maybe better training to put things back together or a second set of tyres ready, I don't know but read the part about no one hurt so does it matter), tyres into the crowd.

Even F1 have tyres go into the crowd and that's with an eloborate retension system on the suspension that is suppose to stop/restrict this happeneing. They have a greater run off area in most cases and also use tyres to absorb inpacts around the track barriers.

With what we have to work with at most OZ tracks, Sandown seems ok, not perfect but as good as anything else.

You could stop people spectating in certain spots and maybe put some concrete there like they have at street cuircuts but I'd bet that most of the people involved in these events would prefer the 25yr old armco.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2798352)   #92
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
(maybe better training to put things back together or a second set of tyres ready, I don't know but read the part about no one hurt so does it matter)
Knowing the guys involved in the repairs as well as I do and knowing how often they have to fix the guard railing and tyre walls they've got plenty of practice and are really quick at the repairs.

You have to remember that events other than the V8's are run at Sandown and what happened over that weekend was not the first time it has happened, it's just the first time it's been on national TV. Actually it's not the first time but you get the idea, people are getting excited because a couple of big name V8 teams are involved for a change.

Quote:
Even F1 have tyres go into the crowd and that's with an eloborate retension system on the suspension that is suppose to stop/restrict this happeneing.
Except you're talking about race car wheels not tyre wall tyres so it's a mute point.

Quote:
I'd bet that most of the people involved in these events would prefer the 25yr old armco.
Anyone who actually looks into the options with an open mind would rather have a decent concrete wall set up with tyre bundles as required but Sandown over the top does not really need tyres if the wall angles are done correctly.
Old 5 Dec 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2799914)   #93
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have actually closed the book on that one ! odds on favorite

After the hours of delays for fence repairs at the recent Shannons round, Sandown is proving to be quite fragile it seems.

The very old armco is almost past its use-by date.

Makes you wonder how they get past the CAMS Safety inspection ?

I had a thought today, during one of my more lucid moments...how will the track pass a FIA inspection next year? I can't see Timmy S being able to influence a FIA steward in the same way CAMS stewards could be "leaned on"
Old 6 Dec 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2800260)   #94
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I had a thought today, during one of my more lucid moments...how will the track pass a FIA inspection next year? I can't see Timmy S being able to influence a FIA steward in the same way CAMS stewards could be "leaned on"

You Blue Devil !

I am going to claim the bonus points myself, seeing as noone was up to the R.R. challenge ! (what can I buy on Tenths with 100 million points?)

Mr enduro-driver/common-tater/top ten touring-car-driver-of-all-time finalist and all round nose guy Mark Skaife was the person charged with certifying the Sandown track as "safe"....

Now without casting nasturtiums at a bloke that was/is a very fine driver, what the hell would he know about track safety ?

If CAM$ were serious about this topic, a track safety inspection should be undertaken like any other form of risk assessment, in that it is performed by a panel of suitably qualified people.

Mark would add value, but for mine, an experienced civil/ roads engineer would be an essential member of the group; as would a CAMS steward, with appropriate TRACKSIDE and competition experience.

Throw in an OHS professional who understands both motorsport, and practical risk management (with experience in maybe Engineering or Civil Construction) not applied OHS and that to me would comprise a very competent, and capable group.

Things like information (engineering computations) about structures (catch fences & walls) and when they were constructed, and to what relevant Australian Standard would be essential, prior to passing a track fit for purpose (safe to race on).

And for all of you that will bleat about, " how much will that cost " or " geez, who should pay for this " i give you one simple reply.

If you are going to tout the Greatest Show on Wheels, then maybe you should have to back it up with proof that the arenas you pit your Gladiators against each other are the safest they can be.
For both drivers & the viewing (paying) public

And as for the FIA stewards, well what will make them any different from the current batch we have to put up with: hell, with the powers of delegation, they will almost certainly be the same individuals, just wearing newer shirts.......

Old 6 Dec 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2800262)   #95
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i might be confused, but aren't CAMS the FIA man on the ground in Australia.

i.e. dont CAMS do the bulk of FIAs work here in Australia
Old 6 Dec 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2800276)   #96
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i might be confused, but aren't CAMS the FIA man on the ground in Australia.

i.e. dont CAMS do the bulk of FIAs work here in Australia

Tats what i said, diddle I ?

Quote:

And as for the FIA stewards, well what will make them any different from the current batch we have to put up with: hell, with the powers of delegation, they will almost certainly be the same individuals, just wearing newer shirts.......

Old 6 Dec 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2800282)   #97
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
yes , you probably did mean that,

I just actually typed it out, rather than putting it in code
Old 12 Dec 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2803223)   #98
ernie endbert
Rookie

MagnetON
Parts unknown
ernie endbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry to re-quote myself, but after two red flagged races in two days, tyres into the crowd on Sunday, and a combined delay of nearly 3 hours, surely the Elephant in the room isn't that invisible ?

Or has this place been reduced to bickering about an alleged dangerous re-join, and trying to blame PD for Garth's flat tyre ?

I simply cannot understand how a track with fences built 25+ years ago, can still be considered safe ? (100 million bonus points to the first correct answer to the following)

Who signed off on the CAM$ track safety inspection prior to the Sandown event ?

But seriously, how many times do cars have to crash before someone is seriously injured....

And then watch the Sunday Afternoon experts come out in condemnation of the place.

Hey Rachel, we were in the crowd at dandenong road, about 200 metres from the crash, and yes some tyres did go over the fence.

My dad made a comment about the catch fence not being high enough, but when we got home and watched the replay, the crash didnt seem that bad, especially when skaifie talked about how well the tyres worked.

Although, i think you said that mark did the track inspection for cams or something.

How is he allowed to say that the tyres worked well, if some went over the fence & landed in the crowd ?

We saw one guy get knocked to the ground, he didnt seem too hurt, but the St Johns first aider people were looking after him, all the time the fence was getting fixed.

Our family love going to sandown, but my dad has said that he doesnt think we will spectate at dandenong road side next year, because, that is the third big crash we have seen there.
Simon Wills rolled the WOW commodore a few years ago, and then garth crashed on the saturday, and then the two guys on the sunday.

It seems like it is a dangerous part of the track, can anyone tell me if someone has died at that bit. I know Lex Davison died back near turn 4 or somewhere, but isnt he the only person to be killed there in a race crash ?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 07:57 (Ref:2803650)   #99
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
From memory Lex Davison crashed at Turn 5 (The back straight Kink), you may be thinking of the time he put a Gallaxie through the fence at what's not turn 4.

There was a fatal crash at turn 4 a long time ago but something in the back of my mind is telling me it was something like a heart attack that caused the crash.

There's been heaps of car vs guard rail crashes at various points around Sandown especially when you factor in events other than the V8's that most of you only see "cos it's on telly".
Old 13 Dec 2010, 09:52 (Ref:2803708)   #100
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were at the V8 round at Sandown in 2009 and I'm pretty sure Chris Alajajian had put a Mini over the fence in a similar spot on the Friday.....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19