Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3409425)   #76
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That was the March 83G, which won back to back in '83 and '84 but that was a long time ago and a lot has changed since then, regarding car construction and PUs.
Funny you should bring up PUs, I was thinking what a big fan Adrian is of the things.

If the WEC came up with a decent superlight class; for proper cars, not Trabants; I think Adrian may be interested.

Audi oilers, or batteries, not so much!
Old 23 May 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3409537)   #77
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well in football if you get an announcement like that you know that time is ticking
Old 24 May 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3409621)   #78
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adian Newey to leave F1 at the end of 2014?

Looks like the answer to my question is, no. Adrian Newey will not be leaving F1 at the end of 2014.

Newey had previously assured that he will end his F1 career at Red Bull Racing. And has publicly said so. Back in late October last year, when I started this thread, I had heard from very reliable sources that Adrian Newey was having thoughts of - and could be planning on leaving Red Bull Racing at the end of 2014. This led me to the question if he would be leaving F1 altogether at the end of 2014. But it has been reported in the media recently that a switch to Ferrari could be on the cards.

Although - it must be said, as of today, Adrian Newey has no definitive F1 contract for 2014. He is yet to commit to Red Bull, or any another team in F1 for next year. No doubt in the next couple of months we would be able to get a definitive answer to the question I put in the thread title.

Meanwhile, Ted Kravitz from Sky Sports F1 interviewed Horner and Mattiacci from the Monaco paddock yesterday. Interesting replies.
Old 24 May 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3409646)   #79
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I liked Mattiacci statement that he did not have a shopping list as they already had the best people in place.
A refreshing change at Ferrari!
Perhaps he will be better than expected and will indeed have the skills necessary to spur Ferrari on to better things!
Old 24 May 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3409756)   #80
321Go
Veteran

Was that a slip up at 1:19 by Mattiacci when he said "yes", but then went on to clarify he wasn't the man making any offers to Newey?
Old 24 May 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3410042)   #81
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've merged the two threads about Newey's future.
Old 25 May 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3410098)   #82
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I've merged the two threads about Newey's future.
Wish you had corrected the spelling of Adian's name!
Old 25 May 2014, 02:56 (Ref:3410104)   #83
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Wish you had corrected the spelling of Adian's name!
Was correct before the merge.
Old 27 May 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3411255)   #84
321Go
Veteran

Question. What would stop Adrian Newey from going to Ferrari? Or to put it another way - why wouldn't he go to Ferrari?
Old 27 May 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3411269)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Question. What would stop Adrian Newey from going to Ferrari? Or to put it another way - why wouldn't he go to Ferrari?
He doesn't want to be in F1 anymore.
Old 27 May 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3411272)   #86
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would think that amongst his reasons to not join Ferrari would be the internal politics at the Scuderia, the Italian press and possibly the lack of freedom to work in his own way. These, amongst others, were the reason that John Barnard refused to base himself in Italy, and instead set up offices in the UK, different ones for the two times that he designed their cars.

Even then, Barnard was still hampered somewhat by internal in-fighting at the Scuderia, and I don't think that Newey would be able to work under de Monte...
Old 27 May 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3411280)   #87
321Go
Veteran

What if Newey was offered total control and freedom? A no questions asked freedom to lead and let create?
Which is exactly what he has at RBR now.

I'm sure Newey is aware of the politics and red tape involved when working for Ferrari. So if he was to be assured full control of his team, that would be a mighty big piece of the cake for him to digest. And I'm sure Ferrari would know what Adrian Newey needs to create a winning chassis. And would offer him exactly what he requires.

Last edited by 321Go; 27 May 2014 at 12:42. Reason: inkorect speeling
Old 27 May 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3411288)   #88
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't imagine Monty letting go of control,even to Newey
Old 27 May 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3411295)   #89
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems that Mercedes also made an offer to Newey. How many tech heads does a team need?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28121.html

Although if you had Newey on board I suspect some of them would have gone gardening.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3411302)   #90
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What if Newey was offered total control and freedom? A no questions asked freedom to lead and let create?
Which is exactly what he has at RBR now.

I'm sure Newey is aware of the politics and red tape involved when working for Ferrari. So if he was to be assured full control of his team, that would be a mighty big piece of the cake for him to digest. And I'm sure Ferrari would know what Adrian Newey needs to create a winning chassis. And would offer him exactly what he requires.
Which is what Barnard was promised. However, you would be dreaming if you anyone would expect Ferrari to act in a way that not in their DNA. Luca di Montezemolo has grasped the mantle that Old Man Ferrari left behind, and that is to never, ever give away authority whether you are right or wrong. The old man made many mistakes during his time, but although he may have regretted them deep down inside, he never admitted so in public. Luca di Montezemolo is exactly the same.
Old 28 May 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3411643)   #91
321Go
Veteran

James Allen seems to think there'd be no issues with Adrian Newey going to Ferrari. As long as he is given free rein.

I think given free rein, Adrian would be happy to go. There is absolutely nothing else that would stop him, or get in the way anymore.
Old 28 May 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3411709)   #92
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
How about a Ferrari swoop for Newey, Horner and Vettel...?
Old 28 May 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3411715)   #93
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Which is what Barnard was promised. However, you would be dreaming if you anyone would expect Ferrari to act in a way that not in their DNA. Luca di Montezemolo has grasped the mantle that Old Man Ferrari left behind, and that is to never, ever give away authority whether you are right or wrong. The old man made many mistakes during his time, but although he may have regretted them deep down inside, he never admitted so in public. Luca di Montezemolo is exactly the same.
Whilst I agree in many ways, I do think Ferrari are realising that they need to give autonomy to react quicker and allow the designers to spread their wings.

As James Allen's excellent piece suggests, the current culture of fear of failure coupled with impossible deadlines has led to a very conservative approach.
Old 28 May 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3411717)   #94
321Go
Veteran

As I tried to explain in another post, this is exactly why Domenicali exited. He was not allowed to do things he wanted to, and had one hand tied behind his back with expectations from others of winning the impossible fight.

Alonso has been credited by some for Stefano's exit. But Alonso is also frustrated with what was happening above and beyond Domenicali'. Not Domenicali. And Alonso too will soon walk out of the team.
Old 28 May 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3411719)   #95
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
As I tried to explain in another post, this is exactly why Domenicali exited. He was not allowed to do things he wanted to, and had one hand tied behind his back with expectations from others of winning the impossible fight.

Alonso has been credited by some for Stefano's exit. But Alonso is also frustrated with what was happening above and beyond Domenicali'. Not Domenicali. And Alonso too will soon walk out of the team.
Agreed, but there may be those in Ferrari that thought that it was all down to a Red Bull only factor, now that Mercedes are doing the same it may have made them think more about how to react?
Old 28 May 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3411819)   #96
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Easy to sign off formally on "free reign" for Newey.

But in practice when that volcano of politics erupts in Ferrari and in Italy he may very well find himself submerged in a lava of media hysteria Pompeii style.
Old 30 May 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3412567)   #97
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

From what I gathered Domenicali exited Ferrari on a plank with his hands tied behind his back and a sabre prodding him along!

It was a "resignation" in name only!
Old 8 Jun 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3416920)   #98
321Go
Veteran

Have an update. Adrian Newey will be staying with Red Bull with a new "multi-year" agreement. Official announcement.

Interesting to note the agreement is for Newey to be in a advisory role to the F1 team.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3416931)   #99
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosport are carrying this,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114345

The first two lines of the article are interesting in themselves.

''Adrian Newey has signed a new contract with Red Bull, but he will step away from his day-to-day involvement with the Formula 1 team to work on other projects.''
Old 8 Jun 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3416968)   #100
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Very shrewd move by Mateschitz and his advisors; if we can't have Newey, we'll make damn sure that nobody else will either. Newey has an incurable itch to design (and build) an America's Cup racing yacht for many years (this was why he originally wanted to leave McLaren, before he was poached by Red Bull). It is not beyond the realm,s of possibility that he has been offered the opportunity to design one for a Red Bull sponsored Team Austria as one of the "projects".

Whatever, the way that I read it is that he had decided to leave Red Bull Racing, for whatever reason, contrary to what others on here have said, and this will stop him joining any of their rivals. As I say, shrewd!