Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Too late to say the same thing...
Damn you, Yoong!

Sorry ASCII Man
Old 5 Sep 2003, 10:38 (Ref:708968)   #77
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's a bit too soon to write Michael off. I think that he is probably passed his peak as a driver, but he is still capable of producing great races. Winning at Canada was pretty impressive, for example.

I don't think he has forgotten how to fight - in fact, I think we've seen more fight out of him this year than we have for a couple of seasons. The tyres are the main reason for his drop off in performance, though of course it is true that Rubens has compared well with him recently. That is a bit odd, because when the going gets tough, Schuey usually extends his advantage over his team-mates (that makes Divio's suggestion interesting).

If Michael and Ferrari had been on Michelins, they would have won the title (though I do believe that Williams have genuinely now caught up). However, they are not and Bridgestones, Schuey and Ferrari now have to do something pretty special if they're going to win this year. And that is good for F1.

Final note: I think Michael has proved he can win the title in not-the-best car. Noway was the B195 the best car all season. And, in any case, how many drivers have actually won the title with a car that isn't the best? Not many....Oh, and don't you think Michael deserves some credit for being one of the reasons for Ferrari being able to give him a great car?
Old 7 Sep 2003, 06:40 (Ref:710574)   #78
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the main reason wyou are not performing to your best get the manager to speak instead.

From F1central.com

Ross Brawn says Formula One has made redundant the concept of 'pushing like mad' in the quest for a good grid position.

Ferrari's technical director reckons new-for-2003 one-lap qualifying rules mean drivers now take it easier because they can't afford to make a mistake.

'They all see the consequences of falling off,' said the Briton, 'and as a result we're getting a bit of a tame qualifying.'

Brawn said Schumacher and his rivals 'still push hard' but it's not like the old 12-lap system where they put in some bankers and then 'really go for it.

'They could do that because they had nothing to lose,' he adds. 'They can't do it now. No-one can afford to make a mistake.

'I'm not sure that the one-lap qualifying is providing the spectacle we all imagined it to.'

Ross Brawn also criticised the other major change to the 2003 Formula One regulations; forcing cars to start the race with the fuel run in qualifying.

'It wasn't discussed and suddenly there it was,' he said. 'A regulation. It really restricts the strategies you can run.'

The burly Englishman acknowledges that the rule was designed to improve the show and give smaller teams a chance to earn better coverage by running light fuel.

'But we've all really had to adopt what I refer to as 'sensible' strategies so I really don't see what the rule does for Formula One.'
Old 7 Sep 2003, 08:52 (Ref:710615)   #79
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he hasn't lost his edge, the equipment he drives has. I doubt it has much to do with the chassis, more likely it has to do with those black, round boring things that no one really understands. Put all F1 teams on the same tyre again and remove another factor that clouds our perception of the ability of each driver.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 09:02 (Ref:710619)   #80
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie tips Kimi to win the 2003 Championship according to Planet F1

Ecclestone Believes The Crown Will Go To Kimi
06/09/03
Bernie Ecclestone has joined the chorus of voices putting forward their predictions for the 2003 World Championship, and has gone for the driver least favoured of the top three, Kimi Raikkonen.

advertisement

While many people are predicting that Michael Schumacher will be dethroned this season the majority of the paddock believe Juan Pablo Montoya will achieve the feat. The Williams driver is second in the Drivers' standings, only one point behind Schumacher.

However, bucking the trend, Ecclestone has put Raikkonen down as his favourite to win this season's title. The McLaren driver may be third in the Drivers' standings but he's only two points behind Schumacher.

"I'm one of Montoya's biggest supporters and we all know about Michael," he said.

"Montoya can be either fantastic or not. Räikkönen is more consistent so you would probably have to put your money on him."
Old 7 Sep 2003, 09:21 (Ref:710627)   #81
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bernie is just winding Max up. Remember Max's views on Kimi when he started at Sauber, something along the lines of "All F1 drivers are supreme beings so I doubt this youngster has a hope in hell. I expect him to be a liability because driving F1 is SO difficult with traction control, launch control, auto gearbox etc. he'll never cope with the extreme difficulty of choosing where to brake and turn in, I mean thats 2 things to do, really tough"

Old 11 Sep 2003, 03:33 (Ref:714632)   #82
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Nobody here seems to have brought up the subject that Rubens was ell ahead of SchM, and had Rubens's rear suspension not come adrift, SchM would not even have scored a point. Surely there must be an explanation for this lack of pace.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 04:40 (Ref:714650)   #83
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, after Silverstone Rubens seems to be doing better than MS. His quly performances are better and at Hungary he was 3rd when he retired so he could have scored some big pts.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 04:53 (Ref:714653)   #84
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Lets be realistic here, the only direction RB could go was up. This year he's been the worse performer of the top 6 (including DC) IMO.

That said, there are no excuses for MS at Hungary, it was a very poor performance. While tyres account for alot of it, the fact RB was miles in front and Heidfeld so close behind shoes it was'nt all that.

Pull your finger out Michael.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 06:23 (Ref:714682)   #85
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from a general point of view I agree with you Wrex; it'a however true, as Nigel Roebuck points on Autosport, that Rubens gave F1 the best drive of 2003, at Silverstone.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 11:31 (Ref:714920)   #86
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, RB did the best race of 2003, but overall it's a poor year for him, and unless he outperforms the 3 title contenders in the last 3 races, it will remain that way.

Now, I think old TGF can be a little shaken, but he still seems to have plenty motivation to win more WDCs...
Old 11 Sep 2003, 19:50 (Ref:715532)   #87
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, you can't write Michael off, or Ferrari's ability to use Rubens good driving to help Michael.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 21:28 (Ref:715659)   #88
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubens has had a bit of an inconsistent year, he shouldve won in Brasil but reliability or lack of fuel let him down, he was beating Mike in Hungary....reliability.

OK he pranged in Oz, his fault and pranged in Hockenheim (racing incident) but if he'd had Schumi levels of reliability he'd actually still be in with a shot of the title.

Which is a shame.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 11:45 (Ref:716224)   #89
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BS happens, but how often it can happen ?

If bad luck has a name, this name is Rubens.

Oh, and he has the bad luck of being inconsistent too...

Last edited by Bononi; 12 Sep 2003 at 11:49.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 19:51 (Ref:716874)   #90
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah he's had a few dull performances this year I'm not denying that, but if he had Schumis reliability they wouldn't be too far apart on points!
Old 12 Sep 2003, 20:31 (Ref:716919)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Silverstone onwards he has always had the better of Michael!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:54 (Ref:719516)   #92
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

...and now Michael has the best of all the rest...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:39 (Ref:720077)   #93
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just curious if people still think MS is losing his edge after this weekend?

He was perfect, and quite a bit faster the RB too...
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:14 (Ref:720443)   #94
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenw
I'm just curious if people still think MS is losing his edge after this weekend?

He was perfect, and quite a bit faster the RB too...
I do not think MS is losing his edge - he won on Sunday with a cold. He will go on to win the WDC this year, and Ferrari (after this years lapse) will provide him with the car for next year's WDC - no problem
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:25 (Ref:720450)   #95
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Look!! the guy went fact in practice, he qualified on pole, he led from start to finish, he had the fastest car, ........

I don't think there was ever a chance of anyone overtaking SchM once Ralf the Overtaker was sidelined

So let's not take away this great win from the guy, OK?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:29 (Ref:720453)   #96
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf the what?
It could have been more exciting, maybe even a different winner if it had not been for Frentzen and Baumgartner holding Montoya up.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:50 (Ref:720465)   #97
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Montoya was never going to win this race - he could not even get past with higher downforce and a lighter fuel load and Michellin boots on the first lap.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:58 (Ref:720477)   #98
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How do you know?
Anything could have happened.

They both could have crashed out in that last fight, giving the crown to Kimi.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:59 (Ref:720480)   #99
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Let's face it - the Ferrari was faster down te straight, and that eliminated any chance of overtaking by JPM's Williams.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 10:08 (Ref:720489)   #100
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
I agree it (Ferrari) was faster down the straight - but also it required great driver control all around the track because of the low downforce used.