Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Jan 2004, 21:03 (Ref:833015)   #76
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Matsuura now confirmed at SAFR, in place of Yakusawa. The team is also switching from Dallara to Panoz/G-Force.
Indyracing.com is reporting this. Good news for him, but news for Yasukawa though. I hope he can get a ride elsewhere.

http://www.indyracingleague.com/indy...?story_id=2206
Old 12 Jan 2004, 09:17 (Ref:835087)   #77
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Latest update, including some confirmations over the past 3-4 days (the primary sponsor of Franchitti's car being one of them, which I had completely missed earlier) plus some rumors (some mild ones and some wild ones heh).

(Bold text denotes most recent confirmed change/addition/confirmation - including wild rumors.)

Access Motorsports
-----------------------------------
#1 - Greg Ray, USA
#2 - ?

(Renovac Systems Inc. announced as associate sponsor. Reports suggest the team would like to field a second car if possible.)

Team Conseco Foyt Racing
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA

(Seems the troubles for the NEXTEL Cup team hasn't affected the IndyCar effort, which will be back in full swing for 2004.)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Some rumors suggest, however, that Franchitti is desperately trying to get out of his contract. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver. Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) announced as primary sponsor of the #27 driven by Franchitti.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA?

(Robbie Buhl and Purex Detergents (primary co-sponsor) secured for 2004. Some reports suggest that Fisher, granted sufficient sponsorship can be found, will be back with the team for 2004.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - Richie Hearn, USA?

(Lazier out. Hearn in? Sponsor out? Team stepping down to a partial schedule?)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA
#2 - ?

(Scaling back to a one-car team for 2004. Hoping to find funding for a second car?)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - Tora Takagi, JPN
#2 - ?

(Giaffone and Hollywood out. Scaling back to a one-car operation? Mo Nunn leaving IndyCar for CART? Tora Takagi set for 2004, according to article in AutoWeek (no official announcement as of yet, however).)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

Patrick Racing?
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA?
#2 - ?

(Reports suggest Pat Patrick is looking at selling off his CART team to Emerson Fittipaldi, while launching a new IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004. Perhaps even be a two-car effort, with Giaffone driving the second car?)

PDM Racing
#1 - ?

(Ed carpenter is off to Team Cheever. Partial schedule most likely. Driver unknown at this point.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - Ed carpenter, USA

(Going back to a two-car effort for 2004. Alex Barron and Ed Carpenter signed.)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing
#1 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN
#2 - ?

(Matsuura confirmed - Roger Yasukawa out. No word on whether SAFR still are hoping to enter a second car (depending on sponsorship). Team switches to Panoz/G-Force.)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from CART.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Buddy Rice, USA
#2 - ?

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas - Buddy Rice will sub for Kenny until he returns. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured. Argent Mortgage steps up and becomes a primary co-sponsor alongside Pioneer. Yasukawa talking to Rahal?)
Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:21 (Ref:840023)   #78
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not much in terms of news perhaps, but it might still be of interest - after firing off an email earlier this week, I got this reply from Kathryn Nunn today;

Quote:
Thanks for your note and your concern. We have no final plans for 2004 except that Tora Takagi will be in one of the cars. We are working hard to keep Felipe but are still in negotiations. Thanks again, K. Nunn

Last edited by rustyfan; 16 Jan 2004 at 07:22.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 22:56 (Ref:841032)   #79
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting atricle posted on IndyRacing.com today, about some of the new and not-so-new faces for this year. Also has an offical entry list, which hopefully has a few more cars yet to go

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=2219
Old 20 Jan 2004, 21:48 (Ref:844643)   #80
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Roger Yasukawa in Team Rahal for Indy 500 and Twin Ring Motegi
Old 20 Jan 2004, 21:57 (Ref:844653)   #81
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's still driving? He was terribly slow in Atlantic and generally ate his teammate, Ryan Hunter-Reay's dust... He's in trouble if he ever has to do a road/street course. I guess the IRL is the place for him.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Jan 2004, 22:33 (Ref:844702)   #82
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K
Roger Yasukawa in Team Rahal for Indy 500 and Twin Ring Motegi
Where di you hear that, Alex K? :confused: Don't suppose you could link us to the story?

Edit - I found the story on Indystar.com. Does this mean that Buddy will only do one race at Homestead, hand over to Rodger then Kenny comes back? Story.

Edit 2 - Rodger will be in a second car for the two races. Story.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 20 Jan 2004 at 22:48.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 00:12 (Ref:844793)   #83
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport.com
Team Rahal has announced that it will run Roger Yasukawa at the Indianaplis 500 and the Motegi Indy Racing League races this year.

The 26-year-old Californian, who ran the full IRL series with the Super Aguri Fernandez team last year, will race alongside Buddy Rice, who is to replace the injured Kenny Brack until the Swede is fit to race again.

“Being able to run the Indy Japan and Indy 500 with Rahal is a fantastic opportunity for me and I really want to thank Honda for helping me put the deal together,” said Yasukawa.“

“I am hoping to learn a lot from Bobby's experience as a former Indy 500 winner. The team obviously has a first-class operation.”

Team owner Bobby Rahal added: “Roger showed plenty of potential last year in his rookie season. His working with Buddy and Kenny for two of the most important races of the year will help both him and the team.”
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=2231
Old 22 Jan 2004, 12:21 (Ref:846721)   #84
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So Kenny defiantely won't be fit in time for the 500? Or, if he is, which two would run that race?

It's a shame if neither Buddy nor Roger can get a drive for the full season, as they are both promising young American talents. Roger's ethnicity got him the drive last year, but he didn't attain popularity with the Japanese fans they were aiming at because he was seen as too American - hence Matsuura coming in this year - and his chances of securing a ride where the sponsor wants an American are lower than for a Caucasian guy, which is unfortunate.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:45 (Ref:846876)   #85
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So as of right now there are only 19 cars entered fulltime for the 2004 season. Hope we get a few more. That makes 20 for Motegi and Indy. That leaves 13 cars to fill out the field for the 500.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:02 (Ref:846995)   #86
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you will see some of those other seats get filled based on what takes place in court tomorrow on the CART/OWRS thing....

and some of these "question marks" that have been posted in lists on this thread...some of those, inf not all, will come through...

I anticipate Sarah racing...

I anticipate Pat Patrick hooking into it with Little Al...

and there will be others....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 24 Jan 2004, 13:57 (Ref:849299)   #87
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Arie Luyendyk jr. has got himself a personal sponsor. No word if he's staying in the IPS, not that I've heard anyway. Might he find a IndyCar Series team now?

http://irl.autoracingsport.com/2004_...k_sponsor.html
Old 24 Jan 2004, 17:44 (Ref:849453)   #88
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

OK, now I'm going to play "Devil's Advocate" here:

IF TG buys CART/OWRS and IF there's a merger/unification,
do you see any CART teams filling this grid? If so, who? Or would there be 2 separate rosters? Will there be enough time to even get teams/sponsors together?

Last edited by MLM; 24 Jan 2004 at 17:45.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 18:13 (Ref:849466)   #89
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the IRL wins this thing, then personally, I'd like to see a CART farewell tour for 2004. It was mentioned here before by someone else, and it would be one hell of a good will gesture by TG.

Make it a shortened season of 6 to 10 races, 1 each in Mexico, Canada, and Australia, and the rest here in the states. It would give the CART teams something to keep them busy and driving, and earning some money, while they sort out what they would need for an IRL 2005 season.

I'm not sure there would be any CART teams that could ready themselves in time for a 2004 season. Unless there are some that are working behind the scenes as we speak, to ready themselves for just such a scenario.

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:849484)   #90
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

I'm not sure there would be any CART teams that could ready themselves in time for a 2004 season. Unless there are some that are working behind the scenes as we speak, to ready themselves for just such a scenario.
Newman-Haas?
(remember, I'm just throwing out questions)

Last edited by MLM; 24 Jan 2004 at 18:39.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:850807)   #91
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Realized I hadn't added the latest about Roger Yasukawa.

(Bold text denotes most recent confirmed change/addition/confirmation - including wild rumors.)

Access Motorsports
#1 - Greg Ray, USA
#2 - ?

(Renovac Systems Inc. comes aboard as associate sponsor. Reports suggest the team would like to field a second car if possible.)

Team Conseco Foyt Racing
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA

(Seems the troubles for the NEXTEL Cup team hasn't affected the IndyCar effort, which will be back in full swing for 2004.)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Some rumors suggest, however, that Franchitti is desperately trying to get out of his contract. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver. Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) comes aboard as primary sponsor of the #27 driven by Franchitti.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA?

(Robbie Buhl and Purex Detergents (primary co-sponsor) secured for 2004. Some reports suggest that Fisher, granted sufficient sponsorship can be found, will be back with the team for 2004.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - Richie Hearn, USA?

(Lazier out. Hearn in? Sponsor out? Team stepping down to a partial schedule?)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA
#2 - ?

(Scaling back to a one-car team for 2004. Hoping to find funding for a second car?)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - Tora Takagi, JPN
#2 - ?

(Giaffone and Hollywood out? Mo Nunn racing are apparently talking to Giaffone and are trying to keep him.)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

Patrick Racing?
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA?
#2 - ?

(Reports suggest Pat Patrick is looking at selling off his CART team to Emerson Fittipaldi, while launching a new IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004. Perhaps even be a two-car effort, with Giaffone driving the second car?)

PDM Racing
#1 - ?

(Ed carpenter is off to Team Cheever. Partial schedule most likely. Driver unknown at this point.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - Ed carpenter, USA

(Going back to a two-car effort for 2004. Alex Barron and Ed Carpenter signed.)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing
#1 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN
#2 - ?

(Matsuura confirmed - Roger Yasukawa out. No word on whether SAFR still are hoping to enter a second car (depending on sponsorship). Team switches to Panoz/G-Force. Might be a split brewing between Fernandez and Suzuki?)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from CART.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Buddy Rice, USA
#2 - Roger Yasukawa, USA (signed for two races; Motegi & Indy)

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas - Buddy Rice will sub for Kenny until he returns. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured. Argent Mortgage steps up and becomes a primary co-sponsor alongside Pioneer. Yasukawa signs up to do two races with Rahal; Motegi & Indy.)

Other Notes of Interest
- Arie Luyendyk Jr. has gotten a personal sponsor - could possibly be stepping up from IPS?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 21:54 (Ref:851619)   #92
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Question:

Last fall, Richard Childress had been very public about possibly fielding an IRL team...felt that both his NASCAR and his IRL programs could benefit from some synergy and information....

Haven't heard a word about it since....

Anything on this????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:08 (Ref:853998)   #93
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Arie Luyendyk jr. has got himself a personal sponsor. No word if he's staying in the IPS, not that I've heard anyway. Might he find a IndyCar Series team now?

http://irl.autoracingsport.com/2004_...k_sponsor.html
Today in a Dutch newspaper was an interview with Junior. He lost his main sponsor (Meijer?) so he will NOT race in the Indy500. He hasn't the budget to do the needed 3 IRL races (he's a rookie) and Indy500. In 2004 he will probable do some IRL and Grand Am races. He will NOT race in IPS.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:11 (Ref:854002)   #94
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Thanks for the info, FIRE
Old 29 Jan 2004, 08:06 (Ref:854721)   #95
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
From an article at the Indianapolis Star site;

Quote:
One of the teams expected to remain on the OWRS side is Walker Racing. But team owner Derrick Walker said he is closer to moving back to the IRL in 2004.
Guess we'll have to wait and see what he, in the end, decides to do.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 22:20 (Ref:863258)   #96
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I miss something, or has Greg Ray and Access Motorsports disappeared, or are they only going part-time? I thought they were in for a full season with a new sponsor and all.

There not listed as a driver/team on the Indy Racing web site, and they weren't at Homestead. Any idea what happened?

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Feb 2004, 22:34 (Ref:863288)   #97
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Did I miss something, or has Greg Ray and Access Motorsports disappeared, or are they only going part-time? I thought they were in for a full season with a new sponsor and all.

There not listed as a driver/team on the Indy Racing web site, and they weren't at Homestead. Any idea what happened?
I was wondering that myself. As for the listing on the IndyCar site, I think they just took the teams that were at Homestead and added them for the sake of getting the site updated. And after all, they might be as clueless as we are at the moment to what Ray's plans are.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 22:53 (Ref:863328)   #98
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Greg Ray was supposed to take part in the Daytona 24hrs, but had to pull out for reasons that were never revealed. Apparantly, he was in some kind of traffic accident which forced him to pull out. I thought that was just a crazy rumour at first, but that would explain him not being at the Test In The West.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 22:58 (Ref:863334)   #99
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Greg Ray was supposed to take part in the Daytona 24hrs, but had to pull out for reasons that were never revealed. Apparantly, he was in some kind of traffic accident which forced him to pull out. I thought that was just a crazy rumour at first, but that would explain him not being at the Test In The West.
That would explain a thing or two, yes. I hope he isn't hurt bad enough to hamper his season.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 00:49 (Ref:863471)   #100
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I found some info on his web-site(duh, should have went there first).

The reason he couldn't drive in the 24, was because of a business conflict and the implications would have made things difficult. It doesn't say what the conflict was, but now that he is an owner/driver, its not so easy to move around, apparently.

No news about his IRL schedule, but it appears he will run the full season. Nothing said about an accident.

Danica Patrick