Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:01 (Ref:951994)   #76
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Doing a little research indicates Christian won at Road America in 1998 in his first Champcar race with one pole and 2 wins prior to the 2002 season.

He was never quite the same after getting both legs broken in a Champcar accident.

Not exactly sensational but good stuff nonetheless. Way better than many on the grid today for sure.

Haven't quite figured out how consistent Top 5's and a few wins at places like Road America make him "a waste of a good seat."

Last edited by JohnSSC; 26 Apr 2004 at 10:05.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:24 (Ref:952021)   #77
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Christian Fitipaldi wouldn't be an ideal addition, as he's had his chances and didn't really prove worthy of the family name, but I can't think of anyone being linked with a drive who would be as worthy.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:43 (Ref:952252)   #78
JonnyT
Rookie

JonnyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian had his chance in CART and proved to be a moderate talent at best. He had the ride, but never (even when healthy) really delivered. The CCWS field is shaping up pretty well, I think.

Sure the bigger names are in the IRL, but are they really better or simply more established? Are Herta or Barron(sp?) any better than the fillers in Champ Car? They're good drivers, but so are a lot of others in the sport.

I hate to see Dario, Helio, Kanaan and Dixon wasting away on ovals and would love to see them in Champ Car. Those are the guys I KNOW can drive. At least Dixon is working towards F1 and Dario has made clear his desire to go road racing again.

As time goes on and teams settle, we'll see who has the goods. Jourdain will be back up there and Wilson is on his way. Don't forget about AJ, Sebastien, PT, Bruno, etc. The future is good.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 14:22 (Ref:952299)   #79
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyT
and Dario has made clear his desire to go road racing again.
Right now much is pointing towards him doing so next year.

Edit: On a side-note, welcome to the forum

Last edited by rustyfan; 26 Apr 2004 at 14:23.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:09 (Ref:952364)   #80
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
We need a place that shows our races... LIVE..everywhere!!!!
I'd like that,too, Mags, but it's not what they want. PG said he wants it at the same place, at the same time, every race weekend. Also, doesn't want to run head to head with NASCAR. He compared it to prime time TV. When you have a #1 show, at one day & time, you don't put it up against another networks #1 show, on another day & time. Obviously, he doesn't watch much TV, because they do that a lot. I didn't have the heart to tell him. I thought his model was a better idea, as oppossed to the network model, that means a death sentence to the show, for the most part.

Jeff
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:20 (Ref:952374)   #81
Superunknown
Rookie

Superunknown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

except we're not NASCAR, and the races are back on basic cable, which beats the hell out of speed, so I'm satisfied, not happy, but content
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:58 (Ref:952415)   #82
Superunknown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Doing a little research indicates Christian won at Road America in 1998 in his first Champcar race with one pole and 2 wins prior to the 2002 season.

He was never quite the same after getting both legs broken in a Champcar accident.

Not exactly sensational but good stuff nonetheless. Way better than many on the grid today for sure.

Haven't quite figured out how consistent Top 5's and a few wins at places like Road America make him "a waste of a good seat."
easy, he had a Newman Haas Racing seat, he should've done more, damatta won with that seat, and no he wasn't the same after he demolished his car in testing spurring on all the aero band-aids which ruined the oval racing
Old 26 Apr 2004, 15:59 (Ref:952417)   #83
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Superunknown

except we're not NASCAR, and the races are back on basic cable, which beats the hell out of speed, so I'm satisfied, not happy, but content
Good points, superunknown. When I first heard the TV package, I didn't like it, at all. Still don't, to a certain extent, but the logic behind it is sound. Now they need to get the message out to race fans. We, hard core fans, know where & when, but fans that don't visit forums, Champ Cars web site, or even have Internet access (hard to believe, but true), have no idea, where to look.

OWRS is in a rebuilding phase. Give them a few years & I'm sure (read: I hope)they will be live & network.

Jeff
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:12 (Ref:952507)   #84
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In many ways the field in 2002 had competition problems due to the disparity between engines and teams. Christian seemed to step up a bit, but he really didn't do much in his CART career. He legitiamately deserved his RA win and he drove very well. After watching the 93&94 F1 decade races, if I had to pick someone who was good but not in a good car, Christian clearly stands out amoung the rest. I don't know why he couldn't do better in CART. (granted I have serious doubts about the depth of field in F1 back then) Maybe it was the accident.

Easily half of today's field is better than Christian. Servia is a guy who IMO is the new Christian. Clearly showed massive promise earlier in his career but just doesn't have top form.

I really do not think the IRL has more big names than CART. Both series have made names of their own since the mass defection. For the IRL Hornish obviously, but now Weldon appears to be the real deal (although who knows, Tomas appeared to be the real deal a couple years ago and has flopped since). IMO one of the most impressive things about CART seems to be its ability to pull in drivers.

Last edited by Snrub; 26 Apr 2004 at 17:18.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 21:53 (Ref:952868)   #85
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 20+ car ChampCar GRID Shaping Up ?!?!

UPDATE:

Latest from the Grapevine is that sometime by next week Ron Hemelgarn is expected to make an announcement regarding his Champ Car team.

Here's how the line-up scenario looks like now:

1. FORSYTHE - #1 - Paul Tracy
2. FORSYTHE - #3 - Rodofo Lavin
3. FORSYTHE - #7 - Patrick Carpentier
4. NEWMAN/HAAS - #2 - Sebastien Bourdais
5. NEWMAN/HAAS - #6 - Bruno Junqueira
6. WALKER - #5 - Mario Haberfeld
7. WALKER - #15 - Rafael Martinez and/or Luis Diaz or Ralph Firman
8. HERDEZ - #4 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
9. HERDEZ - #55 - Mario Dominguez
10. COYNE - #11 - Oriol Servia
11. COYNE - #19 - Tarso Marques and/or Jaime Melo or Ralph Firman or Tomas Enge
12. KALKHOVEN - #12 - Jimmy Vasser
13. KALKHOVEN - #21 - Roberto Gonzalez
14. GENTILOZZI - #8 - Alex Tagliani
15. GENTILOZZI - #17 - Nelson Philippe
16. RUSSO - #9 - Michel Jourdain
17. RUSSO - #10 - AJ Allmendinger
18. BACHELART - #14 - Alex Sperafico
19. BACHELART - #34 - Justin Wilson
20. FITTIPALDI - #20 - Gaston Mazzacane or Ricardo Sperafico or Christian Fittipaldi

Possibles:

21. KALKHOVEN - #22 - Josh Hunt, Christian Murchison, Seung Yin Lee, Townsend Bell, Jaime Melo, and/or Michael Valiante
22. HEMELGARN - #18 - Michael Valiante or Townsend Bell or Richie Hearn
23. FORSYTHE/LEBERLE - #24 - Townsend Bell or Jonathan Macri or Jaime Melo or Ralph Firman

btw, for the updated picturesque version go to www.champcarfan.com and click on the "Line-up" thingy ?!

zerO
Old 26 Apr 2004, 21:59 (Ref:952874)   #86
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That seems to be the word on the street here....

Allegedly, Forsythe is "leasing" him two Reynard chassis for $1 each...

sounds like a "deal" to me...if it is true...

Also...Luis Diaz took a "Rookie Test" here today courtesy of Gnnassi Racing...

Thus the possiblity existis that Ganassi could sign Diaz as a "Test Driver" of some sort or to some sort of contract other than his ride in Ganassi's Grand Am car...

If he does, it could nmean that he might not be available for a Champ car seat....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:03 (Ref:952878)   #87
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
That seems to be the word on the street here....

Allegedly, Forsythe is "leasing" him two Reynard chassis for $1 each...

sounds like a "deal" to me...if it is true...

Also...Luis Diaz took a "Rookie Test" here today courtesy of Gnnassi Racing...

Thus the possiblity existis that Ganassi could sign Diaz as a "Test Driver" of some sort or to some sort of contract other than his ride in Ganassi's Grand Am car...

If he does, it could nmean that he might not be available for a Champ car seat....
Isn't Diaz driving for Target in the Indy? I swear I got a press release on that yesterday.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:24 (Ref:952895)   #88
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He took the "Rookie Orientation Test," but the team has not confirmed that he would be driving in the race itself, and from what I read, they are not necessarily planning to run or to field an additional car to put him in a seat for a 3-car team....

I could be wrong....but that's the way it was reported here...

Old 26 Apr 2004, 22:37 (Ref:952912)   #89
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
He took the "Rookie Orientation Test," but the team has not confirmed that he would be driving in the race itself, and from what I read, they are not necessarily planning to run or to field an additional car to put him in a seat for a 3-car team....

I could be wrong....but that's the way it was reported here...
I'm sure you are right. The report said they have 4 cars ready to field but I believe they only have plans for 2 drivers at the moment.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 00:46 (Ref:952994)   #90
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Tim it was on ESPN.com today (or Speed) that Forsythe is indeed leasing 2 Reynards to Hemelgarn for $1 each. Diaz is also taking his rookie test through the fill-in-the=blank offices of Floyd incorporated.

Now, I apologize for getting Christian's credentials wrong. Here is what I found:
1990 - 4th in the British F3 Championship.
1991 - F3000 Champ
1992 - 1994, F1 scoring two fourths in the Minardi and 2 4ths in the Footwork car.
1995 - comes to America - no full time ride but does manage to finish second in the 1995 Indy 500.
Moves to CART in the subsequent years getting his first win in 1999 at Road America.
1999 - 6 Top 5s, 12 Top 10s.
2000 - Wins at Fontana. 5 Top 5s, 9 Top 10s.
2001 - 4 Top 5s 8 Top 10s
Ran out of time for researching 2002 and as you know he did NASCAR last year.

Underachiever? Yeah, a bit but less talented than half the current field? Not so sure about that. Remember, the field was deeper when he had his best results.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 27 Apr 2004 at 00:47.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 05:57 (Ref:953104)   #91
Superunknown
Rookie

1. it's "indy" not "the indy," "the indy" is our term, "indy" is theirs, which is why we need to find a way for molson to phase out that term so that champcar is the sole beneficiary of public recognition of that term

2. chip will run however many drivers he wants to, he has run 4 in the past, and when tony needs him to run 5, as long as Penske's running 4, he will...

what's with the look-up of christian's results, you're disappointing me man! where were you the past years? anywho, for his pedigree, and having the car he did, those top 5's he racked up consisted of a sore paucity

also, the big indy teams have many cars to field, the journos know that... chip always having 4 entries registered, big surprise there...

you register cars or entry numbers at indy, you don't register drivers, the big teams can afford to register 4-5 entries so that their drivers have more opportunities to make bump day if they need it, or in cheap's case in 2001 he ran stewart, junkie, minassian, and vasser, not that Indy has any risk of having a bumpday anymore seeing as 33 is only a number now, f'ing TG...
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 27 Apr 2004, 06:02 (Ref:953107)   #92
Mags
Veteran

Is there EVEN a "bump" day anymore since TG has said "33 is just a number??"
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:17 (Ref:953237)   #93
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Gee Superunknown, I can't keep everything in my head!

If you look at the earlier parts of the thread the question was asked if Christian had even won a race so I was trying to respond accurately to the question.

You should also note that I did agree that he under-achieved during that span.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:19 (Ref:953240)   #94
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
"Bump Day" will occur if there are teams that still want to get into the field. It is not clear yet exactly what the number of team/driver combinations we have yet.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:28 (Ref:953470)   #95
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 4 Ganassi cars are theoretically 2 race cars (for Darren and Scott), and their 2 spares. However, it's not unusual for a team to gvie on of their spare cars to another driver for Bump Day, assuming both regular drivers have safely qualified. I believe that will happen. Could be that TG has a hand in it, trying to get a second Mexican for the 500, to increase the chance of it taking off there.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 14:25 (Ref:953579)   #96
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
The 4 Ganassi cars are theoretically 2 race cars (for Darren and Scott), and their 2 spares. However, it's not unusual for a team to gvie on of their spare cars to another driver for Bump Day, assuming both regular drivers have safely qualified. I believe that will happen. Could be that TG has a hand in it, trying to get a second Mexican for the 500, to increase the chance of it taking off there.

That's genrally how this works, N I Tram...hope it answers issues or questions raised by others....

Ganassi could in fact take a backup and put Diaz into it...but the team has stated that entering a 3rd car to compete is not in their current plans...

However, since Diaz has passed the Orientation, Ganassi has indicated that he will be able to "shop for a ride" if someone wants to put in in the driver's seat of an entry....

Now for Some Speculation:

I have no facts to back this up, but how about this "What If" for a scenario:

Since Hemelgarn will run Champ Cars, and has an entry filed for the Indy 500....

Could Diaz be his Champ car driver and also be his pilot for a "one-shot" at Indy????

Intersting prospect, isn't it???

Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:15 (Ref:953794)   #97
zerO
Veteran

...but, in order for Ganassi to stick a driver in one of his spare cars he first needs to get an engine for that car ?! - and engines are assigned to primary cars as per driver... and there aren't enough engines to begin with... (insert "idea" emoticon)...

zerO
Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:18 (Ref:953798)   #98
zerO
Veteran

btw, even though it seems very unlikely that we'll see Luis Diaz in CCWS this year - the Mexican media is still adamant that it will happen... :confused:

Personally, I doubt it very much.

zerO
Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:19 (Ref:953799)   #99
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
...but, in order for Ganassi to stick a driver in one of his spare cars he first needs to get an engine for that car ?! - and engines are assigned to primary cars as per driver... and there aren't enough engines to begin with... (insert "idea" emoticon)...

zerO

I don't think Ganassi will put him in there anyway....

But since this is a "Champ Cars" Forum.....

How far "off-the-wall" do you think the Diaz and Hemelgarn speculation could be (Diaz in the $1-leased reynard and in whatever hemelgarn "might" run at Indy?)????

At least there would seem to be a possibility of this...however remote it may seem at this time....

We've seen stranger things over the past 6 months...

Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:24 (Ref:953805)   #100
zerO
Veteran

Valiante has 50ยข to add towards that $1 and Diaz doesn't ?!

zerO