Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Nov 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1167382)   #76
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
james is a good driver, but i'm not sure how good. he's probably one of the best drivers the uk can offer at the moment (yesyes, alex lloyd, bla bla) so in relation to everyone else that ran in the british f3 series, they've picked correctly.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1167390)   #77
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, K-B, in cars, but as I've said before, people do undervalue experience in international karting, where Button had done plenty. Rossiter competed in very few club events before cars. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Jenson, no-one knows yet, but as bella says, he's one of the UK's top prospects.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1167448)   #78
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think it will be too big a jump for carroll. i think its about time he got an f1 try out. vdm too. as for rossiter, so what? it wont be too big a culture shock.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1167492)   #79
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
incidentally, before anyone steams in and says we're talking like these lads are the next world champions, we're not

i don't think it's about time adam or james got f1 tryouts. neither have *really* done too much to warrant it (i may be contradicting myself there). then again, whatever this test is about, it's not about past acheivements, it is?
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1167497)   #80
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not about past achievements, no.

It's about evaluation - and they've picked the drivers they believe have most potential for the future.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1167732)   #81
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say well done to BAR on their choices for this one. Also wished people who didn't actually know the result would not spout off that they did, when clearly they didn't as Piquet and Rosberg don't even get a mention on this one!

Rossiter and Carroll have shown a tremenous turn of pace over the past two seasons and more than merit their chances. For AC this is exactly the try out his career needed and I think he'll take it brilliantly as will Rossi. Remember how quickly he seems to be able to adapt to formulae. Bang on the pace in Renault from the off and then the same in F3.

AVDM is a funny one really. He dominated British F3 in sensational style and some weekends made the others look very ordinary but he never seemed to have that sparkle. It seems to take him 2-3 years to adapt to formulae, but once he has then he's bang on it. Thats why I think he may struggle, although he does have experience of F3000 which is something the others don't as yet.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1167854)   #82
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if everyones read the fact that it's a 24 month driver development plan .
I think they got the right 3 out of the list

good luck to em all.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1167857)   #83
Shunt the Hunt
Racer

France
Paris
Shunt the Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Have to say well done to BAR on their choices for this one. Also wished people who didn't actually know the result would not spout off that they did, when clearly they didn't as Piquet and Rosberg don't even get a mention on this one!
All apologizes but that's Alexandre Premat who said that Piquet and Rosberg had been chosen. He told that to French sport daily newspaper L'Equipe and I sent him an e-mail for a confirmation and he told me the same thing, that's why I published thess news on my website...

...I don't think Premat he's a lyer and all the troubles (and wrong news) around this selection are linked to the Davidson's case, I think.

I'm deeply sorry.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1167947)   #84
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by foxy mole
but I do see a spark in Piquet, although it needs quite a lot of work done to it.
Problem with Piquet Jr was the fact that Piquet Sr had already commited his own team to be in the GP2 series with Hitech.

Good for Britain though

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 30 Nov 2004 at 11:48.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1168271)   #85
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
sorry but if you didn't notice, most of the drivers on the shortlist were ones who are british. hence the british angle on it.
Yeah. That's what I meant - if you want to be a racing driver, you're off to a VERY good start by being born in the UK.

p.s. Heh. Yes. But Mika also hit Senna at the start of the Aida GP and was involved in An Incident with Damon Hill at the start of Monaco.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1169188)   #86
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Well the times are in for today's test and it seems Van Der Merwe and Carroll both had run outs today whilst Rossiter will have to wait till tomorrow.

Carroll seems to have had a nightmare with a best time of just 1.28.885, well off Van Der Merwe's time of 1.23.730 anyone know what happened? Van Der Merwe's time racks up OK against Sato's 1.21.724 s but I reckon Rossi can get the job done on both these pair tomorrow (I mean VDM and Carroll, not Sato!)

# Just solved it - changeable conditions are the reason why Carroll struggled - Phew! Hope they give them both another run out tomorrow and the conditions are better

Last edited by Gaz; 1 Dec 2004 at 18:15.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1169229)   #87
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan van der Merwe drove this morning and Carroll this afternoon. Weathers rubbish tho!
Old 1 Dec 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1169231)   #88
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are they?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1169235)   #89
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Jerez mate
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1169236)   #90
Bobie
Racer

Thanks Gaz, it's happening today then at Jerez and Silverstone
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:09 (Ref:1169238)   #91
topgirl
Rookie

topgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to hear Rossi's response to the test (when it's all over), if hes quick he'll say it's cos he's amazing and if he's slow he'll most probably blame the car or the conditions, or anything except himself.

Rossi had the best car in britF3 this year, yet he would rarely, if ever, give any credit to this. When you speak to him he just goes on about himself and how great he is compared to anyone hes competed against. He may be good but he's not at Schumacher's level (yet, maybe never) so I wish he'd shut up and give credit where it's due. When he makes mistakes he should take it like a man rather than automatically blame the car or other people. Im sure me saying this will get peoples backs up but he needs to get over himself.

He isn't anything special in my opinion and I think its a shame that he's supposedly the best english single seater guy around. If this is all the english talent we have then the future doesn't look great. I hope for his sake he can prove me wrong. Personally I don't think he deserved to get this chance.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1169244)   #92
Bobie
Racer

At last someone who agrees with me Topgirl.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1169251)   #93
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were both miles of the pace! About 6 seconds off what the fastest guys were doing at the same time on the track!
Old 1 Dec 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1169325)   #94
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
wet changeable weather isnt the best conditions to be making an f1 debut. coupled with little track time and not knowing the circuit it wont be fair to judge at least until after tomorrow.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1170119)   #95
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
James Rossiter outpacing Enrique Bernoldi today in similar conditions - top job!

Also see Alan Van Der Merwe got himself up to fourth overall running in the drier conditions! The boys are doing a good job. Adam wasn't out today looking at the times
Old 2 Dec 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1170131)   #96
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
bernoldi crashed! and for some reason vdm got twice as much track time as rossiter and carroll put togetether which meant he got to make use of dry conditions!
Old 2 Dec 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1170142)   #97
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
in which case both carroll and rossiter should be out tomorrow which will hopefully make for dry weather!
Old 4 Dec 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1170498)   #98
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
well the weather wasnt dry. and it was monsoon in the morning. carroll only had 13 laps. rossiter did 40 somthing laps in the afternoon and obviously for those reasons was quicker.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1170521)   #99
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Rossiter was faster than Bernoldi on both his days, but both he and Adam spun off yesterday. Of the three who tested, van der Merwe looks to have done the best job.

Strangely, all the F1 websites are saying that Piquet will be testing for BAR next week, but I don't see how he can be because he is supposed to be in Bahrain for the F3 Superprix.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1170554)   #100
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of them are talented, but BAR had possibly made up their minds about who they want to help before the test even began.....