Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Sep 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1408594)   #76
scary mini
Rookie

scary mini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all looking forward to this yet again ! Will be on post 9 this year .
Does anyone have a spare ticket as just realised lewis will need one this year!

I wont be able to check email so if you have please look out for my car in the campsite silver audi sc53rxw

many thanks
Steve Howard
Old 19 Sep 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1411115)   #77
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a mere spectator at Goodwood this weekend I would just like to say a very big "THANK YOU" to all the marshalls.

I alternated between the Lavant Bank, where I had the car parked, and the chicane grandstand over the three days and was most impressed by the professional and efficient way all the marshalls carried out their duties.

Even Wiilie Green's horrific looking accident was dealt with calmley and efficiently with not a sign of panic.

All you marshalls deserve a medal, without you the meeting just could not have run or have regained so much of the time lost through incidents.

I for one applauded you from the Lavant Bank as you were being bussed back on the Sunday evening

Congratulations!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1411122)   #78
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needless to say I was pleased with the professional way in which my crew dealt with the Willie Green incident. They know I would hate to embarrass them with this more public accolade ( after personal thanks at the incident debrief) ...........but they deserve it! Well done again , boys..................
Old 19 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1411211)   #79
steviec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton, UK
steviec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman
I for one applauded you from the Lavant Bank as you were being bussed back on the Sunday evening!
Thanks, I was on post 4 however it was pretty uneventful until the last but one race of the day when we had 3 cars in! We also had a little event with one of our marshals ending up with each leg in between the tyres, unfortunately for him the camera was pointing directly at the incident!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1411231)   #80
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman
As a mere spectator at Goodwood this weekend I would just like to say a very big "THANK YOU" to all the marshalls......
All you marshalls deserve a medal, without you the meeting just could not have run or have regained so much of the time lost through incidents.

I for one applauded you from the Lavant Bank as you were being bussed back on the Sunday evening

Congratulations!
yes, many thanks. several people were waving and it was most appreciated, so we waved back.

Post 7 was excellently staffed and we handled our share of incidents well and professionally, despite being buzzed by the yanks! - friendly fire or what???

A brilliant weekend, great cars and racing. great air displays - the Spitfires and the Lancaster fly past were very evocative and made you proud to be British, and NO I am not ashamed of that.

Well done everybody!!!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1411265)   #81
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Weekend, Excellent Cars and Racing, friendly spectators, non-motor racing enterainment gave a very pleasent break to stock up on the packed lunches. The organisation as ever seemed seemless. (Thanks Trevor and BARC). Great team on post 9. Thanks guys and gals for making the weekend so enjoyable. Even the team of the Two Dicks and Willie?
Sun even came out on Satuday and Sunday to thaw us out from two very cold nights.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1411293)   #82
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a great weekend. Thanks to Lord March, BARC, all the drivers and spectators, and of course all the other marshal's, particularly those down post 13 way with me, for once again providing the highlight of my marshalling year.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1411318)   #83
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I also pass on the thanks of Nigel Challis who crashed at Madgwick in practice for the Earl Of March Trophy on Friday. He picked up a broken nose & thumb, a sore shoulder, and a night under observation, but was back at the circuit by Saturday afternoon ("the wife would kill me if we missed the ball!").
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1411399)   #84
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I also want to say "WELL DONE" to all the marshals and officials of the meeting. From my vantage point, I was able to see and hear how things went on, and it seemed everyone kept control of all the difficult situations at all times.

Only major difficulty seemed to be John Felix constantly losing his trumpeters ................................!

Also, on a personal front, thanks to those marshals and friends I personally met over the weekend, either in the pits/paddocks or on the campsite. Was great to be back amongst friends after 2 spells in hospital this year. At least the last one (for now) this year should happen over the winter and I can then look forward to a better 2006 and beyond.

Steve
Old 19 Sep 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1411509)   #85
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to have to say this but the meeting is getting a little predictable. One or two races were ok but the rest a little processional. The slick presentation seems to have gone, perhaps they need a good stage manager.
The Marshals worked well in the incidents.
Laurel and Hardy NO
Roadmenders NO
Staged invasion of the grid by scooters NO
The slow moving Ferrari road block - yet again NO
Replica Vickers Vimy Yes
Certain 'entrant' not driving YES
Interminable air displays NO
The barriers across viewing areas at the behest of the Civil Aviation Authority relating to air displays. It seems, however, that it is ok for planes to come over the crowd at Madgwick and helicopters at Woodcote. The classic sign was along Lavant straight strictly banning viewing when 20yds later was a well populated enclosure for members of th GRRC.
The latter caused many disparaging comments in the crowd.
Overall it is the first time that we have been disappointed. I read recntly a report that it is in need of a revamp, perhaps they were right.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1411558)   #86
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the hell is wrong, will people never ever stop moaning, it was a bl**y brilliant meeting enjoyed by thousands, I am sick to death of winging, just go away - Balders
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1411582)   #87
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
Great Weekend, Excellent Cars and Racing, friendly spectators, non-motor racing enterainment gave a very pleasent break to stock up on the packed lunches. The organisation as ever seemed seemless. (Thanks Trevor and BARC). Great team on post 9. Thanks guys and gals for making the weekend so enjoyable. Even the team of the Two Dicks and Willie?
Sun even came out on Satuday and Sunday to thaw us out from two very cold nights.

Yes it was a great weekend apart from a small band of spectators, who hurled abuse at myself and my team over the incident during the Glover Trophy.
I would like to say a BIG thank you to one of the drivers and his team for keeping me awake from 2am til 3.45am on sunday morning with their chat and shouting next to my tent!!!

Clive, Caroline & especially Lucy, thanks for your words of support at the end of the meeting, only time will tell if i decide to carry on marshalling in the future. Its just a shame that a small minority spoilt my weekend.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1411590)   #88
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
Yes it was a great weekend apart from a small band of spectators, who hurled abuse at myself and my team over the incident during the Glover Trophy.
I would like to say a BIG thank you to one of the drivers and his team for keeping me awake from 2am til 3.45am on sunday morning with their chat and shouting next to my tent!!!

Clive, Caroline & especially Lucy, thanks for your words of support at the end of the meeting, only time will tell if i decide to carry on marshalling in the future. Its just a shame that a small minority spoilt my weekend.
Sorry i type the above on steve's pc, not realising it was logged in his name (DOH!!!!)
Also forgot to say thanks to the crew on 3F, you did well despite the abuse from the crowd. Hope we meet again soon.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1411650)   #89
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M Greenslade
No whinge just sadness that after 6 successive superb weekends at the event we came away with that feeling. Having posted the original message we shall probably be their next year. See you at the NAAFI wagon when the gates open on the Friday.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1411997)   #90
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
sinex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Apologies to the administrators,
I posted to replies to this thread last nite, but as i was using Mr. Tarrant's pc, despite the fact i logged in on my own name, the last 2 replies from him were actually from me. (DOH!!!)
Old 20 Sep 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1412013)   #91
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was the 'hurled abuse' thing all about?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1412046)   #92
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
What the hell is wrong, will people never ever stop moaning, it was a bl**y brilliant meeting enjoyed by thousands, I am sick to death of winging, just go away - Balders
It was indeed great but not faultless and saying so, constructively, is not whinging. The emphasis seems to be moving away from its raison d'etre, the motor racing. That's why many of us who have attended from year one found some disappointment in the event this year. Take a look at the Historic forum thread to see why.

The Marshalls, as ever, did a great job. Their quality along with the cars and drivers remained at the very highest level. Congratulations and many thanks.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1412060)   #93
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
Numbersix
In answer to your question, certain elements of the crowd were "asking" (a) why didnt my team run into the track and pick up the debris in the Glover trophy race, and (b) why we didnt stop the subsequent race.
In addition to this they were questionning our parentage and using the "F" word.

if you want to know any more please PM me
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1412074)   #94
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex
Numbersix
In answer to your question, certain elements of the crowd were "asking" (a) why didnt my team run into the track and pick up the debris in the Glover trophy race, and (b) why we didnt stop the subsequent race.
In addition to this they were questionning our parentage and using the "F" word.

if you want to know any more please PM me

Were these idiots in the crowd reported to an official body at the time of the incident?

If not why not?

Doing so would no doubt have lead to their removal from the circuit.....A measure which from this distance anyway would seem appropriate.

The job is at times difficult enough without having to listen to abuse being hurled at you from the crowd.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1412081)   #95
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
Yes it was reported to 2 senior officials, tho I found out that i should also have informed Echo 61 at the circuit who would have got security to deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, at least i know what to do in future, if i decide to continue being an observer or continue marshalling.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1412083)   #96
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex
Yes it was reported to 2 senior officials, tho I found out that i should also have informed Echo 61 at the circuit who would have got security to deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, at least i know what to do in future, if i decide to continue being an observer or continue marshalling.

Perhaps you could contact the 2 senior officials and ask what action was/will be taken ....

No sense giving up on marshaling just because some idiots thought they had the right to critisise you......If they were that good at marshaling why are they not on the bank?........They obviously were not marshals as they wouldnt have been so publicly critical....

Dont let the grind you down
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1412089)   #97
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports officials are barracked by the crowd (and sometimes the participants) and many different kinds of event. That doesn't make it right, but by putting yourself in the public eye - which as a marshal you do - your actions are open to comment, and sometimes this may be in an unpleasant fashion. Of course I don't condone the actions described above.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1412129)   #98
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the complaints about moving the spectators at Lavant for the Air Displays the stewards did the best they could. Some problems were caused by over running the programme but they tried their best. However a point for the organisers of future events and members of the Goodwood Club. Some of the problems could have been solved by the existing notices on the areas being shorter and larger print. Second each fence panel in those restricted areas could have a notice stating. WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVIENIENCE BUT DURING AIR DISPLAYS YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE MOVED.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1412151)   #99
Marshalling Bag
Rookie

Marshalling Bag is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
Only major difficulty seemed to be John Felix constantly losing his trumpeters ................................!

I will be sure to ask him if he has recovered them when I speak to him later in the week
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1412153)   #100
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh

better than losing your marbles i suppose!!!!