Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1419886)   #76
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I read the Chrnelich transcript, I got the distinct impression that the general manager (promoter) named by the Mayor and investors was fired some time ago and was not replaced, so nobody was steering the boat over there. That ain't gonna be cured by "promoter school." What went on within the city/promoter camp over that period is a matter of total conjecture because we'renot hearing a word from across the pond.

Boots, not second chance, THIRD chance, although the fact that '04 was a different Koran site might make it a second chance. IMO, it'll stay on the schedule till sometime next year and quietly go away for good or it'll go away if CC signs another race and just consider it a replacement. It's obvious they didn't have the money, either to finish the course, pay the freight or promote the race and internally, they're in disarray. It's a boat anchor on CC's credibility and will remain a Hawaiian Super Prix of the current time of greater magnitude.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1419903)   #77
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been an embarassment from the word go. Even if they do manage to hold a race next year, will anybody in Korea care? Why don't they just concentrate on tehir traditional markets instead of these pie-in-the-sky ideas?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1420095)   #78
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Korea is an emerging market, and they are hoping to bank on a Malaysia-like success.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1420117)   #79
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question is, how many times do you "hope?"
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1420188)   #80
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Malaysia F1 race isn't a huge success - most of the audience are form Australia and Japan, and have gone either to see a seocnd race, or because in many cases it is cheaper to attend than their own home race. The masses in Malaysia are either unwilling or unable to attend the race.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1420275)   #81
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Hey I'm with you all on this. And this is very frustrating. Sometimes its best to stick with what you got and develop that. Champ Car is trying very hard to enter new markets, and I don't see a problem with that. But entering new markets in other countries is a different animal. You have to determine culturally if the people would want to see an auto race.

I don't know, but perhaps Koreans aren't interested in auto racing? You'd probably have better success in India than in Korea because at least in India there is a growing interest in auto racing. Don't know about Korea. And this isn't a criticism of Korea - perhaps auto racing is just something that the people don't care for.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1420507)   #82
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But really, since champ car isn't really throwing money at them to make this event happen, they aren't losing much money when it doesn't happen. The Koreans are building a permanent road course for this event, so I think champ car might as well try to race on it when it does get finished. It's likely that they realise that they let this one slip and they'll be watching it closer next year. Hopefully...
Old 30 Sep 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1420530)   #83
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Omega there's no conclusive proof that the Koreans don't have the resources or money to hold the event in the future, plenty to suggest that the organisation of those resources need to be examined and improved.

There is a cost to CCWS reputation to consider though. Money maybe not, but rep maybe.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1420534)   #84
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A month between Montreal and Vegas.
A month between Vegas and Australia.

They're doing this just to teach me a lesson for subscribing to RaceDirector on a monthly basis!

Kidding aside...
Old 30 Sep 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1420597)   #85
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Snout is right... even if Champ Car does not lose much money on the event, CC's reputation is on the line, especially considering that CC is trying to bring itself back to its former glory.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1420679)   #86
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not like it's the first time Champ Car has botched up a race on the calender either... And yes, I do include the fiascos at Texas and Fontana (sure, it was due to a fire, but cancelling the race outright was a disgrace - you think NASCAR would have done something like that? NO, they would have rescheduled, just like they with the also fire-affected Pepsi 400 as a matter of fact), despite those happening under the CART-rule.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1420688)   #87
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
<snip>You have to determine culturally if the people would want to see an auto race.

I don't know, but perhaps Koreans aren't interested in auto racing? You'd probably have better success in India than in Korea because at least in India there is a growing interest in auto racing. Don't know about Korea. And this isn't a criticism of Korea - perhaps auto racing is just something that the people don't care for.
I've been to Korea for racing, (the F3 superprix held for 5 years down south in Changwon). A lot of the locals were really interested, but even with an entry ticket that us used to US/European racing would regard as ridiculously low, talking to my Korean crew, it was obvious that ticket prices were a bit out of the normal person's reach. Still got massive crowds, thanks to freebies I guess.

Korea has a massive auto manufacturing base - ok its Daewoo(Chevvy) and Kia and that sort of thing and pimping your car is a big thing with the well to do local lads. There's also been a massive investment in internet technology - think as a country it had the highest levels of broadband availability/usage in the world 4 years ago. And then electronic gaming - very very popular - thats how my guys knew all about F1 ...

The really,really big cultural problem with Korea is that everyone only does what the man above tells him to do, and if anyone screws up, then keeping quiet (the losing face thing) is the usual course of action. And of course if the man at the top screws up.....
Politicians also like to be closely involved, but you can't really say how involved on a public board.

Guess these things might be what buggered up Ansan

better luck next year.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1421059)   #88
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
That's what gets me, Bodysnatcher. Korea is a very modern country and an economic powerhouse. It is interestng to see that there is a lack of interest here.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1422974)   #89
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It appears that the race has now been cancelled. I noticed at the ChampCar website that the next race is Australia, not this one. There is no other news on the website that confirms this, though. Hmm...
Old 3 Oct 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1423132)   #90
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It was cancelled on Sept. 28.
And there is news on the website. Here and here.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1423211)   #91
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Now that we know that the race isn't going to happen this year, can we please close this thread? I feel as if we're all beating a dead horse.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1423231)   #92
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why amar?

it leaves the opportunity to stand up for another oversea race , eventually not in asia.
I´m still for at least 1 or 2 races in europe although the previous legs were under bad banners.

What would be wrong suggesting Spa or Brands GP for example?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1423240)   #93
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Old 3 Oct 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1423249)   #94
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
There you go, macdaddy!

Andy, I agree that we should talk about having more races, both overseas and in North America, but as for Ansan, lets not talk about it anymore for this year.

We can definitely have another thread that addresses having overseas races. I'm all for that. And since you want to talk about having some European races I feel that it should be discussed in a new thread.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1423259)   #95
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I agree that such discussion should be confined to a new thread.
However, I'm not convinced that this thread should be closed.