Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1428631)   #76
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
It stands to reason that in a one make series if there's a problem with wheel changing due to equipment it'll affect a lot of cars!
No doubt, but Champ Car is a one-make series now, and IndyCar close to being one. I don't notice such problems affecting many teams there.

Surely most teams, especially the top ones from GP2 and F3000, would have already done numerous practice pitstops. I can't help but feel the equipment's not exactly up to the job of being suited to quick changes, for whatever reason that might be.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1428633)   #77
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
No doubt, but Champ Car is a one-make series now, and IndyCar close to being one. I don't notice such problems affecting many teams there.

Using cars, equipment and teams who've been around for years.

A1 is still very new.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1428646)   #78
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont know about the equipment in CWS and IRL being around for years KB, I would think the equipment is changed yearly, things like air guns and fuel rigs I mean. Really a lot of the teams in A1 GP have no real excuse IMO for some of the errors that we saw today in the pitstops as many of them race in GP2 which of course as everyone knows incorporates mandatory pitstops too and other teams like Dams and WSR have experince in pitstops both in sportscar and GT racing, yes its not open wheel racing but the pitstops are the same, only 4 people allowed to work on the car at any one time.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1428686)   #79
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great entertainment this afternoon.Well done Robbie and team GB. TV coverage is getting better and i thought our other driver Alex Lloyd aquited himself well in the studio although i am sure he would rather be out there. It's shaping up quite nicely now.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1428699)   #80
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
AFAIK, most of the cheap ticket deals kick in for race day.

It's also very diffcult to make the EuroSpeedway look full, even with lots of people.
AR1 claims that there were only 3,400 spectators?!
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1428730)   #81
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, scratch that, A1GP.com says its 34,000 which is more believable...
Old 9 Oct 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1428764)   #82
DucatiThrust
Rookie

Kuwait
Kuwait
DucatiThrust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Congratulations to France, GB and Canada
Loved the strategy of the GB’s team. Anyone knows why didnt the russian team participate in this race?
Thanks
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1428800)   #83
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go the Kiwis!
14th on the grid to a pair of 4ths is a great result for Black Beauty & Jonny Reid.
And to be tied for second without having been out of Europe yet is awesome!
Beware of the Dark Horse, literally!
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1428819)   #84
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DucatiThrust - according to the Sky coverage in the UK Russia did not take part because they are doing a driver "evaluation". Apparently they are due to rejoin the championship at the next round in Estoril.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1428828)   #85
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised at the apparent lack of tyre degradation. The tyres are obviously good for a couple of laps, hence maximising them in qualifying, but after that they seem relatively constant. The pit stops, so far, seem to have turned a race into a bit of a lottery (farce, others have called it) instead of a tactical element in the race. There must be a reason why 90% of teams spent hours in the pits, trying to correct sticking wheel nuts. I question why pit stops are mandatory, if the cars are designed to allow overtaking ... whilst being desperately partisan and applauding team GBR for a good strategy in bringing our car in after just one lap, giving us clear air to circulate until the others all came in and got stuck in the pits, I'd prefer to see racing.

If there are to be mandatory pitstops, it would be so much better to see tyres that will only last for roughly 2/3 of the race. Soften the compound. Then, if you decide to pit early, you know your tyres will be shot at the end, and you'll have to do a Gilles Villeneuve. And the sticking wheel nut problem has to be cured. Sure, we have the best team in terms of pit stops, but it is a bit daft for teams to lose MINUTES in the pit stops with all these problems.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1428840)   #86
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m just wondering… Could it be that the pit stop problems are caused by the regulations? I mean, the team is supposed to wait in the box until the car comes to a complete halt. Because of this(?), the wheel nuts are more or less melted to the wheels by the time the mechanics are there to change the wheels. The heat builds up and there is no cooling from floating air, hence the wheel nuts won’t come off. Is this a shortcoming in the regulations and should it be repaired? And if so, how? Should there be more mechanics allowed to work on the car during a pit stop (max. two per wheel instead of just one) or should the team be allowed to stand ready in front of the box with new wheels and their tools? Your thoughts, please! Could this be the answer or am I completely wrong?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1428933)   #87
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're completely wrong. The wheel nuts are no harder to get off no matter how quickly you do it. And one guy should be more than capable of changing a wheel, especially a nice light open wheeler unit.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1429137)   #88
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fact that some of the teams, and nations competing are new to this level of competition and this year means there are bound to be techincal & strategical foul ups
If its still happening come the end of the season thats another matter of course
Old 10 Oct 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1429156)   #89
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Christan Jones should be sacked !!!!!! ok Will&Alex where busy for god sake put Peter hackett in the car or Ian Dykeson anyone but Jones
Thanx Christan we where 2nd in the comp ....... what a waste
god help me if he races again .......daddy's little boy
Old 10 Oct 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1429316)   #90
dh01
Rookie

dh01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pitstops are crap, but that's down to the teams. Those same hubs and wheel nuts have been running in F3000 for years, and they were ok. Team Australia and GB, who have experienced staff haven't had problems. Other teams with crews of ring in's are having problems. I saw one team (was it Germany?) where the left front wheel man struggled for ages before getting up, running into the garage and returning with a new nut. Why the hell wasn't it in his pocket or on his belt?

Also those rear wheels in particular look really heavy. Maybe there should be two guys per wheel out there?

And Australia? Those guys are clueless. Will Power did a great job. I heard Alan Jones and his mates pi$$ed him off to the point where he didn't want to do it any more. Davo was busy, OK, there was also Peter Hackett who has tested the car already, Then guys like Michael Caruso, who has driven F3000's before, Bart Mawer who could handle himself 20 times better than CJ, Karl Reindler and James James Courtney, Brisco, there are loads of decent guys out there.

Jones is unfit, overwight, smokes, drinks, and is wasting Australian time and money. If he is allowed anywhere near that car again the whole Team Aus management should be shot.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1429322)   #91
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Did seem rather a waste of a drive didn't it?

Overall though we've seen good perfromaces from drivers who we already knew had it in them, but just hadn't had the equipment or money to prove it the last couple of years, ie, Lapierre was faultless and has suffered appalling relaibilty in GP2 and Kerr who drove a demon race from the back in R2.

Jonny Reid and Sean McIntosh look like drivers we'll hear a lot more of in the future too...
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1429411)   #92
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
That Adam Kahn bloke does not belong on the track.
Completely agree. That outrageous lunge took a number of cars out and I was very surprised he was not punished by the stewards. Also what was he thinking holding up faster cars and staying on the racing line when his car was clearly damaged.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1429499)   #93
Druid
Rookie

Druid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol

Mbathshah you are being really harsh on adam khan . Adam khan is a fine young driver. and it was't his fault in the Sprint race(it was other car's that hit his car). and the other guy who said he doesnt belong on race trrack? WTF. This guy showed his talent in Brand's hatch sprint race and finished seventh in that race and left lots of very experienced drivers behind. and was very unlucky in the brand's hatch feature race. he was running 4th when he took the pitstops and came back 10 min later because he had some problems in the pit stop. that cost him feature race. also in Germany he was unlucky to be taken out by other car's in the spirint race. After his distrastrous sprint race he had to start from 21th and he managed to finish 12th in the feature race. So IMHO you guyz should stop critisizing this very young(hes the youngest driver in the series) and very talented driver.

regards
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1429546)   #94
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well said druid......

unlike a lot of other drivers, Khan wans't put in a kart at the age of 8, he started in cars at 16 in f.ford and has done 3 part seasons of british formula 3 with some podium places.

He outqualified alvaro parente the 2005 british formula 3 champion and could have had a podium at brands but was hit by a pitstop problem....

quite outstanding achievements so far......
Old 10 Oct 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1429592)   #95
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope certain members aren't starting to degrade the series slightly because their son's aren't getting a look in to a certain drive
Old 10 Oct 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1429648)   #96
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
With all due respect Khan just managed to finish ahead of a lot of non finishers so that is why he came 12th. Look at the lap times he was 18th quickest in the feature race at a circuit where he has raced before. The race was a bit of a joke with drive through penalties ruining lots of top driver's races and loads of pit stop problems.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1429683)   #97
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know about other people, but I'm getting a bit bored of bashing of certain drivers in this thread. Genuine comments about their driving ability is good, it's a discussion forum after all - but when the whole point of a post appears just to be to post negative and even offensive comments about driver X, I really don't think it's worth it...
Old 10 Oct 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1429697)   #98
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid
(hes the youngest driver in the series)

regards
Don't want to nit pick but Nelson Piquet is younger!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1429992)   #99
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh01
The pitstops are crap, but that's down to the teams. Those same hubs and wheel nuts have been running in F3000 for years, and they were ok. Team Australia and GB, who have experienced staff haven't had problems. Other teams with crews of ring in's are having problems. I saw one team (was it Germany?) where the left front wheel man struggled for ages before getting up, running into the garage and returning with a new nut. Why the hell wasn't it in his pocket or on his belt?

I believe that the nut was stuck in the gun probably cross threaded and he ran into the pit to get a screwdriver to release it! No radio contact between mechanics like F1 then. I like the idea of the mechanics waiting behind the line before the car stops, although one or two jumped the gun there.

F1 pit stops were always a blur so you couldn't see what was going on, at least now you can see the pressure on each mechanic.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1430214)   #100
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh01
Will Power did a great job. I heard Alan Jones and his mates pi$$ed him off to the point where he didn't want to do it any more.
ah, i was wondering where on the Aussie A1 Power went to... the driver lineups change to Will Davison and Jones