Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1707737)   #76
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Swallow
Had a great time on post's 20 and 21 was a good stint through the night. Things was harder than i thought as i had never done a 24Hr before. Plenty to do all through the weekend. My partner was Pete he had the lyons shair of sleep through the night i got up at 5.30 ish he said he would go for a walk for a bit didnt see him till 8 ish he went back to bed i was not that botherd, The fog was bag on my stint but when racing was restarted all was great.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1707906)   #77
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Got home rather late last night, (considering what time I left) Had something to eat on the way, and then sat in traffic on the M1, was tricky staying awake.

A fine weekend, this event has a lot of promise. JT announced that the EERC has a deal for 5 years. Roll on the 2007 race.
Shows how awake I was, I wasn't marshalling the event and still posted to the thread!

SS, good to talk to you Sunday morning

To all the marshals and officials who were there, you guys did a good job and worked hard all weekend.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1708113)   #78
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Had an enjoyable weekend working the Flag points at Maggotts and Becketts apex
Thanks must go to the rest of the Flag team of Mike and Dave,I think the rota worked quite well through the night.
...and Mike,we definately made the right choice of post to man during the night,hadn't realised how much damage had been inflicted on it till I got back there
Martyn
Thanks mate. Looks like my crash magnet qualities from Knockhill had diminished to a delayed action (thank goodness). Just as well we moved to the outside flag point for the night session as I think we would have been injured had we stayed there. If I can sort out my camera I will try and post the photos.

Once again James Tucker, the EERC and the BRSCC came up trumps. For those of you that did not do the 24 hours we got a goodie bag (DVD, Tee shirt, cap, badges,key ring) , programme, breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, packed meals each lunch time, hot meals Friday and Saturday evening, a pie on Saturday night (some hot!) and a FREE bar (yes you did read that correctly!) on Friday night from the finish of the night session at 22:00 till the bar shut at 23:59. We also had a raffle with 101 prizes. The raffle was drawn by James himself so the distribution of prizes seemed to go OK.

Please guys and gals, give this meeting a go last year. We were short of marshals again this year and could do with some extra help next year. I will be in Zandvoort in 3 weeks time for the A1GP so I will be trying to drum up some support from the marshals of the OCA.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1708129)   #79
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Please guys and gals, give this meeting a go last year. We were short of marshals again this year and could do with some extra help next year.
If it doesn't clash with one of my favourite meetings of the year (750mc) then i probably will. Sounds like it was a blast and built on a decent foundation from last year, glad it went well.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1708160)   #80
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Thanks mate. Looks like my crash magnet qualities from Knockhill had diminished to a delayed action (thank goodness). Just as well we moved to the outside flag point for the night session as I think we would have been injured had we stayed there. If I can sort out my camera I will try and post the photos.
Here's a couple
http://grandslammer.fotopic.net/p33928444.html
Are you sure you wasn't lurking around here in the night wearing that wig
http://grandslammer.fotopic.net/p33928445.html
Old 11 Sep 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1708182)   #81
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great pictures all mine haven't worked at all not in focus any of them! anyone else take any?
Old 11 Sep 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1708222)   #82
bill.turnbull
Rookie

bill.turnbull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only got time for one post, as Shelagh says my dinner is ready.....

To James Tucker : Hope all the good feedback goes some way to balance the negative stuff beforehand - thanks for a great meeting and for your generosity to the happy band of marshals. It was really good of you to turn up at signing-on each day to say a few words.

To Brian Degerlund : Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye at the end - I was keeping an eye on the "guest starter" with a view to recruiting him as a marshal.

To Mike Newton : Congratulations again on overcoming your mechanical difficulties and scoring a decent result. Thanks for your first question "Were the marshals well treated" - yes they were - better than any other meeting this year - and certainly better than any other 24 hours I've attended.

To Terry & Sue Mullen - you missed a good 'un! You could have turned up for a stint during the night!!!!!!!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1708238)   #83
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
If it doesn't clash with one of my favourite meetings of the year.
Shelsley in my case. I really want to do this meeting next year. I shall watch for the dates with baited breath.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1708314)   #84
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First weekend in September (2/3 Sept) was mentioned by someone for next year, but wait for the official line on that

Al.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1708328)   #85
DavidBritainUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
DavidBritainUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I sat in the office today, feeling just a little tired from the weekend, but what a weekend!

Many thanks to my teams at Club (daytime) and Vale (at night). Another great 24hr race weekend.

Lunch each day, pies at night, and vouchers for the Diner. A truely great weekend.

As for next year........................bring it on!
Old 11 Sep 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1708344)   #86
Julian
Racer

United Kingdom
Towcester
Julian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,
Well where do I start!
Thank you all for doing such a first class job over the weekend, it was a pleasure to work with you all. This was one of those events that demonstrated the best in British motorsport.
Many of you arrived to find that you were doing different jobs to usual or to what you were expecting, you all did those jobs in a very professional manner.
Without any doubt, the Britcar 24 Hour was the highlight of 2006, please spread the word and lets make it even better in 2007!
I can’t end without passing on a special thanks to Pam and Gary at Silverstone (along with their teams), their help both before and during the event was very much appreciated and without it my job would have been almost impossible.
If anyone has any suggestions for next year’s event, please email them to me at home@julian-floyd.com
Thanks again,
Julian
BRSCC
Old 12 Sep 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1708586)   #87
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my thanks to Julian, James Tucker and the rest of the team...

What a great weekend, the goodies given put some other racing events to shame. Those marshall that were not there this year should really plan on coming next year, this event is going from strength to strength...

Julian, I have a suggestion for next years event, I'm not sure how other marshalls would view it but i would be interested to see it discussed.
At the start of the race have 2 green flag laps, the first one slower than normal, so that the marshalls can stand trackside and give the drivers a wave/thumbs up, the similar type of thing that is done at rockingham or most american oval events. our team stood close to the track at the end of the race and every driver waved. it would be nice to do it at the start of the event.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1708856)   #88
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like to echo the thanks to Mr. Tucker, Julian, Roy, et All for a great meeting, also big thanks to Ed, Ron, Ray, Adrian, Chris, and Fazza for all their great work on Woodcote gap over the weekend. roll on next year!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1708928)   #89
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=Alan Green]First weekend in September (2/3 Sept) was mentioned by someone for next year, but wait for the official line on that

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Please let it be a week later, or it clashes with the only weekend I have to work all year!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1709055)   #90
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Julian, I have a suggestion for next years event, I'm not sure how other marshalls would view it but i would be interested to see it discussed.
At the start of the race have 2 green flag laps, the first one slower than normal, so that the marshalls can stand trackside and give the drivers a wave/thumbs up, the similar type of thing that is done at rockingham or most american oval events. our team stood close to the track at the end of the race and every driver waved. it would be nice to do it at the start of the event.
We have a similar thing at the start of the Nurburgring 24 hours. The public are allowed trackside at certain locations (such as the British sector at the carousel) which are strictly policed by the marshals and safety car crews. I'm not advocating that we let the general public trackside at Silverstone (we had enough trouble with Irish clergy!), lets just leave it for the marshals.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1709206)   #91
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I will be back next year. nothing stops me just like this year with the wife in hospital.....
Old 13 Sep 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1709415)   #92
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.turnbull
I've only got time for one post, as Shelagh says my dinner is ready.....

To Brian Degerlund : Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye at the end - I was keeping an eye on the "guest starter" with a view to recruiting him as a marshal.

!!!
Thanks for your company Bill on the startline flag point, especially holding the Safety Car board for three hours in the fog. At least I could "rest" the yellow flag whilst the cars were not in sight. I hope you got the new marshal.

Thanks also to Shelagh for looking after us with coffee and the lunch bags.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1710163)   #93
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Proposed date for next year should fail to clash with Shelsley, but may be the middle of holiday. Ho hum. It's also going to be the first week-end after bank holiday which always has a surfeit of circuits in action and possibly some tired marshals after 3 days out and about. Not sure if that would have any effect on marshalling numbers for either week-end?

Perhaps picking a quiet date out of holiday season (in consultation with MSA so that a minimum of clashes can be organised - you need some choices for people who don't want to do 24hrs, but not so many that there's too much pressure given the larger than normal requirement for this event) could maximise the turn-out. With good planning it could become the party event of the year instead of that silly clubbie in mid-July that many of us don't want to go to...
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1710170)   #94
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, the proposed weekend clashes with a traditional Duxford airshow date. Oh well, I guess I'll miss Duxford.

The problem is always going to be fitting the event in with the other major UK series, Nurburgring24, Spa, LM etc.

But I believe Woolley has a point, if enough marshals attend, this could become one of UK motorsport's bigger events.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1711310)   #95
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund
Thanks also to Shelagh for looking after us with coffee and the lunch bags.
Lunch was by order, I admit the coffee was "feeling sorry for you". I believe Judith (working on radios) took the same view.

For me it was the realisation that, after driving round the perimeter roads for hours, I was "gasping" - so how did you feel, and I apologise for not providing the service I had hoped simply because I spent so long on those perimeter roads and wasn't around in race control to actually make the d**n stuff.

We can but serve................
Old 16 Sep 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1711653)   #96
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Shelagh.. You did a grand job....I was pleased to see you at Beckets with our lunch oh - and the t-shirt fits cheers
Old 16 Sep 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1711671)   #97
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Goody Bags and their contents (& size of T-shirts) - nothing to do with us. Packs were made up and we simply dished them out at sign on.

You may recall that we did not assume anything and just asked "do you want medium, large, X-L or XX-L?" (at least until we ran out of the latter) because we are very diplomatic.

However, I have pointed out to James that he seriously underestimated the average size of the marshallling community. (Say No More Scott!!!)

Thanks to Maz for her sterling assistance (I was the "face", she was the "worker") on Friday & Saturday.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1711964)   #98
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will certainly be an event I'll be putting my name down to marshal next year
Old 4 Aug 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1980952)   #99
peteh
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
peteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gravel monkey, Have just volunteered for the 7/8/9th. Can't wait for it.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1984422)   #100
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh
Hi Gravel monkey, Have just volunteered for the 7/8/9th. Can't wait for it.
Peter,

Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing you there.

BTW this is the 2006 thread, for 2007 you want http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97917