Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3532015)   #976
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh, that's right. I remember hearing that they like tarmac, then a bit of gravel.

Would be good for F1, too! Well, at least from the fan's POV, anyway. Little bit of punishment there.

Selby
Old 30 Apr 2015, 01:32 (Ref:3532022)   #977
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Percentages.

If a bike runs wide (just like a car) on tarmac, the rider can throttle up if they can keep it upright and escape. In gravel they come to a rapid and grinding halt, if they don't flip. On grass, it's anybody's guess.

On tarmac, if they drop the bike then they continue to Brundle's "scene of the accident" very quickly; on gravel, they tend to stop before they get there - but have already come off the bike. On grass, it's anybody's guess.

The sliding-towards-the-wall aspect is one of the principal reasons I don't marshal bikes. *shudder*
Falling off a bike on grass you slide miles and only tend to stop when you hit something solid, the bike on grass digs in and gets airborne (usually), if you are out of luck that day it could easily come crashing down upon you from a dizzy height. Gravel is the best for bikes! Been there done that!
Old 30 Apr 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3532026)   #978
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Falling off a bike on grass you slide miles and only tend to stop when you hit something solid, the bike on grass digs in and gets airborne (usually), if you are out of luck that day it could easily come crashing down upon you from a dizzy height. Gravel is the best for bikes! Been there done that!
Solution:

F1 and Moto Gp share tracks. Moto GP uses Tarmac runoff, in case of a spill and for F1, Saferbarrier is brought in. That way, Moto GP riders can safely slide off and F1 drivers can't exceed the track perimeter.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3532204)   #979
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
In some cases, I think its better to have simply just a barrier to slide down until you come to a stop. Not all accidents are the same though, and of course in those cases you are inviting debris to be spread near the track, which isn't ideal. However having a barrier to glance off means that often the angle of impact is often quite shallow, then the car can brush off speed and come to a stop without any huge crash into an obliquely angled crash barrier where lots of energy is dissipated all at once.
Old 29 May 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3542561)   #980
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably could have posted this in a few different threads, but given whats happening with the FIFA right now, im curious to know will the authorities be turning their attention to another high profile sport which also suffers from a perception issue because of awarding events to places that have no business hosting events.

just speculation of course but bribery and kickbacks associated with F1 isnt exactly a stretch is it?
Old 29 May 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3542596)   #981
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
probably could have posted this in a few different threads, but given whats happening with the FIFA right now, im curious to know will the authorities be turning their attention to another high profile sport which also suffers from a perception issue because of awarding events to places that have no business hosting events.

just speculation of course but bribery and kickbacks associated with F1 isnt exactly a stretch is it?
If you had written "extortion", you would have been right on the money (pun intended). I have come to the sad conclusion the the obvious answer is that Mr E has been afflicted by the Napoleon Complex, and this would account for some of his bizarre pronouncements and his drive to control every facet of F1. He just gets his kicks from telling people to jump, and hearing them ask how high!
Old 29 May 2015, 18:28 (Ref:3542619)   #982
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If you had written "extortion", you would have been right on the money (pun intended). I have come to the sad conclusion the the obvious answer is that Mr E has been afflicted by the Napoleon Complex, and this would account for some of his bizarre pronouncements and his drive to control every facet of F1. He just gets his kicks from telling people to jump, and hearing them ask how high!
So, was that intended too Mike? (Sorry, but the Friday night after work glass of wine has kicked in already!)
Old 6 Jun 2015, 21:08 (Ref:3545637)   #983
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder will the cancellation of the Baku BSS have any effect on Bernie's plans for a GP there. It was cancelled due to economic reasons. If they don't have enough cash for Stephane Ratal where are they going to find $$$$$$$$$$$ for Bernie?

http://www.motorsport.com/bss/news/z...n-sprint-serie
Old 6 Jun 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3545652)   #984
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I wonder will the cancellation of the Baku BSS have any effect on Bernie's plans for a GP there. It was cancelled due to economic reasons. If they don't have enough cash for Stephane Ratal where are they going to find $$$$$$$$$$$ for Bernie?

http://www.motorsport.com/bss/news/z...n-sprint-serie
Maybe they cancelled it to pay for the GP?
Old 7 Jun 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3545910)   #985
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In an F1 Racing interview, did Bernie say that Argentina is one of the places he wanted to have F1 back? Interesting...
Old 7 Jun 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3545931)   #986
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
In an F1 Racing interview, did Bernie say that Argentina is one of the places he wanted to have F1 back? Interesting...
Now that I would like to see happen but like with anything Bernie says, I'm going to take it with a big pinch of salt. Remember what happened with New Jersey?
Old 8 Jun 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3546286)   #987
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tickets are still available for the Austrian GP with a crowd of only 60,000 to 70,000 expected. That's way short of last years sell out of 95,000.
Dr. Marko is not too happy blaming the current F1 for the situation.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31087.html
Old 9 Jun 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3546471)   #988
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Tickets are still available for the Austrian GP with a crowd of only 60,000 to 70,000 expected. That's way short of last years sell out of 95,000.
Dr. Marko is not too happy blaming the current F1 for the situation.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31087.html
"Everyone is talking too much and doing too little.

"Everyone thinks more about how to get his own advantage than what is really good for the sport," said Marko.

Pretty well covers it!
Old 9 Jun 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3546503)   #989
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
"Everyone is talking too much and doing too little.

"Everyone thinks more about how to get his own advantage than what is really good for the sport," said Marko.

Pretty well covers it!
Coming from the person who hasn't shut up since the start of the season, blaming Renault for their bad performance while struggeling to beat their small junior/sister team.
Seriously, this is pathetic. We'll have new rules for 2017, I think that's pretty certain by now as everyone, including the people running the sport are talking about how bad it has become. Before you can actually do anything, you need to have an idea what to do. So now is the time to talk while the doing bit should happen after this season.
But then again, if RB couldn't blame Mercedes, Renault or Bernie for 'ruining the sport', people could start thinking it might be their fault that they're not winning anymore?
Old 9 Jun 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3546512)   #990
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps everybody shouting about how bad Formula 1 is and exaggerating the situation to suit their own criteria has given everybody a negative image around the sport. That itself isn't helped by fans who won't shut up about how bad it is. And of course the continuing trend of seemingly trying to ignore any potential fans and the new generation, whilst trying to erase the history of Formula 1 from the calendar, doesn't help matters either.

In short, Mr Marko can blame whoever he wants, it's partially his own fault.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3546531)   #991
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah maybe he is partially at fault but that doesnt take away from the fact that he is also right!
Old 10 Jun 2015, 08:03 (Ref:3546765)   #992
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It looks like a New Jersey GP may not be completely dead as Bernie and Leo Hindery had a meeting over the Canadian GP weekend. The talks of 2017 being a possible earliest date.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...jersey-f1-race
Old 10 Jun 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3546819)   #993
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It looks like a New Jersey GP may not be completely dead as Bernie and Leo Hindery had a meeting over the Canadian GP weekend. The talks of 2017 being a possible earliest date.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...jersey-f1-race
How bizarre, I mentioned New Jersey as a comparison to the likely hood of Argentina holding a future GP in a previous post #986 and low and behold, it rears it head again.

New Jersey's always been a pipe dream for Bernie, with the Manhatten skyline in the background but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3547035)   #994
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
How bizarre, I mentioned New Jersey as a comparison to the likely hood of Argentina holding a future GP in a previous post #986 and low and behold, it rears it head again.

New Jersey's always been a pipe dream for Bernie, with the Manhatten skyline in the background but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Is that all that matters these days for an F1 track, to have a pretty skyline? What am I saying? Of course that's all that matters, who gives two damns what the track is actually like...
Old 10 Jun 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3547239)   #995
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Is that all that matters these days for an F1 track, to have a pretty skyline? What am I saying? Of course that's all that matters, who gives two damns what the track is actually like...
I believe Bernie likes the Manhattan sky line.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 02:38 (Ref:3547284)   #996
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I believe Bernie likes the Manhattan sky line.
Bernie likes a lot of things that are either superfluous or immaterial to enhancing the offered product.

I suppose though, when one gets as autocratically bereft as he is, and $$ dominates his withered thoughts, then he's incapable of delivering anything more tangible than a fancy skyline in the background ....
Old 11 Jun 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3547307)   #997
wnut
Veteran

Large affluent population in the world's richest city with the ultimate street cred, in a market he wants to be seen in.

Not much not to like!

$$$
Old 11 Jun 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3547343)   #998
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that allowing the press know that BCE had met Hindery and had been "discussing" a possible New Jersey race is all part of Mr E's psychological warfare battle plan. He uses this tactic every time that there are negotiations being conducted on the renewal of another venue's contract to place extra pressure on the talks, and in this case that would be Monza's turn.

However, as nothing much has been written about the proposed New Jersey circuit for some time, my memory is a little dim but I do seem to remember some of the details. If I am correct, around two years ago, the intended site had been already built upon, and because of the delays, a considerable number of very costly alterations would have been require. I think one such change would mean that the race promoter would need to build a bridge over the adjacent river, and they would need to find a new area in which to place the pits and paddock. The original plan was to use the ground floor of one of the buildings as the garages and F1 offices, etc., but that building is now in use and the ground floor is currently occupied by retail type businesses.

With all due deference to our American cousins, but as a generalisation, they don't share the same passion for Formula 1 as much as they do in many other countries, and I am sure that the administrative powers in New Jersey will be aware of how much government financial intervention would be required. They only have to look at the current US GP which is at the forefront of an legal dispute over subsidies, apart from the financial help that both Montreal and Melbourne receive from their respective local authorities.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3550769)   #999
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Classic Bernie trying to get more money out of Monza?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ex...ian-grand-prix
Old 15 Jun 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3550778)   #1000
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Classic Bernie trying to get more money out of Monza?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ex...ian-grand-prix
What does he need more money for?