Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2142284)   #976
Geva-Nelson
Racer

Netherlands
Geva-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oddly enough their website boasts 2 drivers, including dan eaves, and 2 definite lacetti's
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2142286)   #977
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geva-Nelson
oddly enough they're website boasts 2 drivers, including dan eaves, and 2 definite lacetti's
It's said that since the end of 2006 though.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2142408)   #978
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
kingo86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished watching the 1st race of the WTCC on my Sky+. Watching the Seats power in a straight line pulling away worries me as a Vauxhall VXR supporter. If Plato and Turner get the same sort of performance from there Leon's then Vauxhall could have problems keeping there title.

Also Chevy team mates taking each other out, scary but i think that it has Gio and Neal written all over it.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2142445)   #979
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingo86
Just finished watching the 1st race of the WTCC on my Sky+. Watching the Seats power in a straight line pulling away worries me as a Vauxhall VXR supporter. If Plato and Turner get the same sort of performance from there Leon's then Vauxhall could have problems keeping there title.

Also Chevy team mates taking each other out, scary but i think that it has Gio and Neal written all over it.
Thing is Vauxhall already started development on a diesel Vectra two years ago - they may yet surprise and finish it off and shove it in.

I can indeed see Giovanardi and Neal becoming a troublesome team duo.

Very few BTCC circuits will allow the drive of the diesel to work in SEAT's favour though. What will be the main problem for SEAT's rivals will be their torque, but the extra weight on the tyres does help take that advantage away by the ends of the races.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2142568)   #980
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally I think that the Vecrta is at least as good as the BMW, and that took the fight to SEAT at Curitiba, and the BMW teams should be able to challenge.

As for Gio vs Neal, I can't see Gio being stupid enough to get into a stupid battle with his team mate. He's too sensible, experianced and freindly to let that happen.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2142600)   #981
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
As for Gio vs Neal, I can't see Gio being stupid enough to get into a stupid battle with his team mate. He's too sensible, experianced and freindly to let that happen.
You could say the same about Yvan Muller and Jason Plato. It only take one of them to be an idiot. And in the above example, I'm sure Neal's that idiot.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2142637)   #982
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
I agree Gio is not stupid enough to get involved in stupid off the circuit battles with Neal. Like the Neal vs Plato contests over the past couple of years. How ever on the track Gio will use the Vectra's build and strength to defend his track pos. Unfortantly going on the past couple of seasons as examples Neal will try to bully his way up the grid, and i feel he could end up losing vital points for himself, Gio and Vauxhall.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2142654)   #983
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
You could say the same about Yvan Muller and Jason Plato. It only take one of them to be an idiot. And in the above example, I'm sure Neal's that idiot.
Muller and Plato was only really an issue because they were both fighting for the title and there was little opposition to worry about. I think this year Gio and Neal will have their hands full dealing with SEAT, RAC, Halford, etc. If they start in-fighting there will be any number of teams and drivers ready to pick up the pieces and snatch the title from under their noses.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2142656)   #984
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree on Hazard that it only takes one of them being an idiot to spoil the race. Gio can be as mature, friendly, out-of-trouble as he can be, if Neal gets the hippy shakes that all doesn't matter anymore.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2142709)   #985
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal cannot count on his dad for support this time although a seat back at Team Dynamics is always there should he need it.

The Turkington car must Indicate another sponser, as its white background would BMW be too long a shot in the dark?
Old 3 Mar 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2142887)   #986
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldnt be too worried about Gio, he is second to nobody when it comes to saving the car from a crash and in the race weather from an own mistake or from the oh so common bullying in BTCC. If Neal tries to resort too much to showing people of the track, Gio will run away in points laughing.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2142985)   #987
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Fiona not making the grid and struggling with sponsers should be no suprise based on last years performance, are any of the MG's for sale form Fiona and Kartworld.
I guess ideally, her dad would want to cut back on sponsoring the entire car of Fiona's. Is the UK economy the same, getting worse or better?
Old 3 Mar 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2142990)   #988
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
It was me that wrote that, on the basis of the story that 888 were "told to drop the Holiday Inn" sponsorship as it was reducing the impact of the promotion of the Vauxhall brand...
I felt that Vauxhall had equal impact as Holiday Day Inn based on last year's paint scheme. If Vauxhall did drop Holiday Day Inn, I think they were stupid.

OTOH, was Holiday Inn actually paying money or were they just providing "services in kind" (IE: no money, just free hotel rooms for 888 staff at each racestop?)

But me, I always like to see touring cars and F1 follow the Nascar formula of getting more recognizablea and everday household sponsors like Nestle, Lipton, Harolds, etc instead of Castrol/manufacturer branded entries.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2143002)   #989
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Muller and Plato was only really an issue because they were both fighting for the title and there was little opposition to worry about. I think this year Gio and Neal will have their hands full dealing with SEAT, RAC, Halford, etc. If they start in-fighting there will be any number of teams and drivers ready to pick up the pieces and snatch the title from under their noses.
If you're Vauxhall though, that's exactly the problem- the last thing they want is to see the championship heading off to SEAT because of infighting between the team-mates. I could be wrong, but somehow I don't see this pairing lasting much beyond one season.....
Old 3 Mar 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2143012)   #990
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vauxhalls potential for in-team fighting is also present in SEAT. Last season, Shedden managed to outscore Neal for various reasons. Neal then left and has moved to another team. In the SEAT camp, Turner has the potential to outscore Plato. How will Plato react if Turner is regularly outscoring him?

Another factor still to consider is the third driver situation. With Gio being the reigning #1, and obvious team leader, then Vauxhall have the opportunity to move Neal to third driver slot. A move that would surely bring him back round to 'team spirit'.

IMHO, the best positioned team-mates on the grid are in Halfords and RAC. Both teams have a clear team-leader, and will be supported by a less-experienced team-mate.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2143052)   #991
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
How can you say Halfords have a clear leader and an in experianced team mate?

Gordon Shedden has been there for two seasons and IMHO is a contender for the title this season. Which must make Tom Chilton an in experianced number 2, LOL.

He spent two seasons with the best teams team on the grid. Ok i must admit he didn't do as well as he should have, but he won't roll over and let Flash walk all over him
Old 3 Mar 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2143062)   #992
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Exactly what I was going to ask. I think those 2 might in fact be the 2 most evenly matched drivers of any team. Both good drivers that used to have a clear leader in their respective teams. They must both be itching to show both the team and the world that they are the 1st driver of the team. However they both strike me as nice non pompous non a-holes, so they might be able to sort it out on the track in a fair way.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2143070)   #993
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
I think Dynamics are in a better pos than 888. Both drivers as Stedevil says are normally number 2's so if Neal snr says TOm or Flash let your team mate past, they are more likly to do it. 888 have two stronge team leaders in Gio and Neal and neither will want to drop points that they know they can hold on to.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2143091)   #994
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Ok i must admit he didn't do as well as he should have, but he won't roll over and let Flash walk all over him
I didn't mean any slight on Chilton, just that for the last two seasons, Flash has got to know the team and spent all last year getting to know the car. At the end of the season, Flash was clearly faster than Neal, even though he was the number two driver.

Both drivers are sensible enough and mature enough to drive cleanly and fairly, and IMHO Shedden will be a contender for the title. I see Flash taking an early lead in the 'ship with Chilton consolodating his position.

Steve Neal does say that both drivers are free to fight for the title, it's just that Flash knows the car well and has probably been responsible for a lot of it's development whereas Chilton is changing vehicle so will need a small amount of time to adjust.

BTW, does anyone have times for the Civics from any of the recent tests?
Old 3 Mar 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2143099)   #995
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
I agree with what your saying there Flash has got an advantage over Tom with not only the fact he knows the car but also the rest of the team members. It will be a very intresting season.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2143105)   #996
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
It is noticed in WTCC that high-torque cars seem to hold an advantage (a la SEAT), and last years BTCC VXR appeared to hold higher speeds through straights.
How will this affect BTCC this year?
SEATs previous strength seemed to lie in car handling on the twisty UK circuits. This strength may be countered by high tyre wear, which the VXRs suffered from at Thruxton.
Could the Halfords Civics be in a prime position to dominate with a developed car that has been shown to be capable of pole position times and hopefully will have some of the Integra's reliablility?
Old 3 Mar 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2143130)   #997
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
If you're Vauxhall though, that's exactly the problem- the last thing they want is to see the championship heading off to SEAT because of infighting between the team-mates. I could be wrong, but somehow I don't see this pairing lasting much beyond one season.....

Plato will play a big part in splitting Neal and Gio with his usual wind up's, agree it could all end in tears at 888 putting two champions together.

If there is any weakness in the top line up's I would single out Turner who has not really been consistant and finished way of Plato points wise at the end of the season.

I hear a bid was made to Turkington and Thompson for the second Seat drive but both declined.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2143147)   #998
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I hear a bid was made to... ...Thompson for the second Seat drive but both declined.
As he should. He is definitly a contender for the WTCC crown, why should he play second fiddle to Plato in BTCC?
Old 3 Mar 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2143149)   #999
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Plato will play a big part in splitting Neal and Gio with his usual wind up's, agree it could all end in tears at 888 putting two champions together.

If there is any weakness in the top line up's I would single out Turner who has not really been consistant and finished way of Plato points wise at the end of the season.

I hear a bid was made to Turkington and Thompson for the second Seat drive but both declined.
SEAT have hit the hurdle of finding a partner before with Plato. The third driver required at Thruxton was turned down by a few WTCC drivers. If Turner is the weakness, then he still appears to be SEAT's only option. All the other top teams appear to try and find drivers that complement each other. If Neal and Gio can do this remains to be seen but SEAT have definitely struggled in the past to find a willing partner for Plato.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2143162)   #1000
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to predict which Halfords driver will be on top - Sheddon has the advantage of being the incumbent, but Chilton has impressed in the past.

Turner has been very unlucky in the past, but it's hard to say that he's definitely a weaker prospect than Neal, especially if he and Plato get on well. As long as Jason stays fit and committed all year, having a single lead driver might suit them best. Vauxhall could even feasibly have 3 contenders if OC improves further.
Closed Thread