Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jan 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3351413)   #1026
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RoC is quite an achievement to be invited to also.

Lets not forget that whilst these guys all love racing cars, it is also their job. Work can be draining. As far as JW & MW are concerned maybe they just don't want to come back from holidays early.

By not actively pursuing a drive it give the up and comers or part timers a chance at a decent seat that they may even get paid for rather than having to bring money.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3351449)   #1027
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jono Lester tweeting that his 12 hour hopes took a hit today and he may have to wait another year. Anyone know what happened ?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3351463)   #1028
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
jamie seemed to have no issues doing race of champions
No, but arguably Mr Whincup went over there underprepared. He told the media on his return that he hadnt spent any time in a LHD race car before going over there, yet knew that almost all of the European cars would be LHD...

Perhaps that talks some to what ff was getting at... some of the V8SC guys just havent tried different types of cars.. so its hard to think they would do totally brilliantly first up in a LHD GT3 with paddle shift, sharing with 3 other pilots equally desperate to get seat time.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3351464)   #1029
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
No, but arguably Mr Whincup went over there underprepared. He told the media on his return that he hadnt spent any time in a LHD race car before going over there, yet knew that almost all of the European cars would be LHD...

Perhaps that talks some to what ff was getting at... some of the V8SC guys just havent tried different types of cars.. so its hard to think they would do totally brilliantly first up in a LHD GT3 with paddle shift, sharing with 3 other pilots equally desperate to get seat time.
It's a number of factors that make me form my view on certain drivers.

The two VRR are using show interest, and remain accessible, and drive a varied assortment of cars.

People like frosty and whincup have never been seen (by me) at the miriad of events where they could have been, and they've show no interest.

Which, to me, makes them at least appear to be more or less disinterested, or perhaps mercenary.

Dunno. Don't care. Got what I want and happy with it.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3351476)   #1030
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
It's a number of factors that make me form my view on certain drivers.

The two VRR are using show interest, and remain accessible, and drive a varied assortment of cars.

People like frosty and whincup have never been seen (by me) at the miriad of events where they could have been, and they've show no interest.

Which, to me, makes them at least appear to be more or less disinterested, or perhaps mercenary.

Dunno. Don't care. Got what I want and happy with it.
I agree with this, also , Lowndes, Bright, Gis and couple of others are keen to race others, and not limit htemselves to V8 taxi's. If I was in the position of having a car to enter I would be looking at drivers who want to as opposed of chasing someone who doesnt seem to be interested in expanding their CV of racing, even if they have raced on the circuit upteen times.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3351479)   #1031
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I agree with this, also , Lowndes, Bright, Gis and couple of others are keen to race others, and not limit htemselves to V8 taxi's. If I was in the position of having a car to enter I would be looking at drivers who want to as opposed of chasing someone who doesnt seem to be interested in expanding their CV of racing, even if they have raced on the circuit upteen times.
But isnt that different. Thats a decision on if you would have them in your car.

I on the other hand think it would be great to watch them in the race because they would add to the race if they were there
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3351481)   #1032
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

fast race car drivers are fast race car drivers, period. They're not going from a GT3 car to a taxi, which is way harder to do than the other way round. I'm sure whincup and winterbottom could entertain the 12hr, but would want to be 100% confident they'd be in a car that could win and with a team that could win. They'd want to make sure the amateur driver was quick enough too. That's the most important thing out of the whole event, a quick slow guy gives you plenty of options on race day during the race. Why they haven't joined a team, I don't know nor care but it would help the event with the aussie fans in gaining further support no doubt. Seemed ok for Lowdnes and luff to hop on board the first Audi year, and then happy to return with salmon, not the quickest slow guy around. There's too much horse 5hit being posted in here for me to remain silent any longer. It's groundhog day all over again.

Last edited by scudd; 8 Jan 2014 at 08:27. Reason: Add a e
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3351482)   #1033
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Murphy cops craap from all kinds of corners for his recent form, and just being himself, but he steps into an older Corvette that isnt filled with the latest European works bits, or the fastest of copilots, but just gets on and does the job

Is there a difference between enjoying driving & taking a paycheck....?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3351484)   #1034
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
fast race car drivers are fast race car drivers, period. They're not going from a GT3 car to a taxi, which is way harder to do than the other way round.
Well, which is it?

You contradict yourself.

Can you clarify.

I think you mean, a quick v8 driver will be quick in anything, which I disagree with to a point but a GT driver may not be quick in a V8. Which I agree with. Fully.

Simonsen is perfect case in point. A class above in. GT. And good enough in a V8, without being as dominant.

Whincup and frosty, and others, simply chose their focus ages ago. They're not interested in the pro/am formula, or exotic cars.

Either way it doesn't matter.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3351486)   #1035
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But isnt that different. Thats a decision on if you would have them in your car.

I on the other hand think it would be great to watch them in the race because they would add to the race if they were there
Valid point , promoters dream, great marketing for sponsorship, publicising see the battle of bathurts champs in GT cars, but no use in chasing them if they show no interest of driving or competing.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3351488)   #1036
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Mr Murphy cops craap from all kinds of corners for his recent form, and just being himself, but he steps into an older Corvette that isnt filled with the latest European works bits, or the fastest of copilots, but just gets on and does the job

Is there a difference between enjoying driving & taking a paycheck....?
The reality is that most GT teams are self funded gent outfits, and they just want to have some fun and have a fighting chance.

And the Murphy/Manolios pairing had a rocky time in Qld, so may not be as you think.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3351490)   #1037
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Valid point , promoters dream, great marketing for sponsorship, publicising see the battle of bathurts champs in GT cars, but no use in chasing them if they show no interest of driving or competing.
agreed. Would still like to see them in a car they werent used to
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3351491)   #1038
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Patrick long set to come down.....

http://sportscar365.com/gt/patrick-l...rst-12h-debut/
Old 8 Jan 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3351497)   #1039
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post

looking forward to seeing Patrick race
Old 8 Jan 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3351583)   #1040
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The reality is that most GT teams are self funded gent outfits, and they just want to have some fun and have a fighting chance.

And the Murphy/Manolios pairing had a rocky time in Qld, so may not be as you think.
as in Spud won't be driving the Vette?

if so i don't see Spud in the race i think he will do SuperTourers.

cheers FF.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3351785)   #1041
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it some what unusual that neither Whincup or Frosty have pursued a drive. The majority of top Australian drivers have always expressed an interest to race overseas at events like Le Mans or Daytona particularly later in their career. The 12hr gives them perfect experience to make this happen.

Why would you not want it on your resume so that if you have the desire later it is a whole lot easier? Or perhaps it is a contractual restraint?

PS Stop being quiet Scud, we enjoy the pre race build up (and banter) each year between you and FF.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3351789)   #1042
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
I find it some what unusual that neither Whincup or Frosty have pursued a drive. The majority of top Australian drivers have always expressed an interest to race overseas at events like Le Mans or Daytona particularly later in their career. The 12hr gives them perfect experience to make this happen.

Why would you not want it on your resume so that if you have the desire later it is a whole lot easier? Or perhaps it is a contractual restraint?

PS Stop being quiet Scud, we enjoy the pre race build up (and banter) each year between you and FF.
I wonder if there is something in their contract with their team that stops from doing things like this.

However it is , as someone else mentioned, the holiday period and maybe they just want to relax and focus on the year ahead. Maybe competiing in the 12 hour cost Lowndes the championship this year.

Also based on what Frosty said in October, at Bathurst, He has a 3 month pregnant wife Just wanting to spend "more" quality time with her

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2014 at 21:23. Reason: fix up left out word
Old 8 Jan 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3351793)   #1043
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if there is something in their contract with their team that stops from doing things like this.

However it is , as someone else mentioned, the holiday period and maybe they just want to relax and focus on the year ahead. Maybe competiing in the 12 hour cost Lowndes the championship this year.

Also based on what Frosty said in October, at Bathurst, He has a 3 month pregnant wife Just wanting to spend quality time with her
But hasn't he already spent quality time with her
Old 9 Jan 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3351851)   #1044
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
as in Spud won't be driving the Vette?

if so i don't see Spud in the race i think he will do SuperTourers.

cheers FF.
I didn't and don't say he won't drive. Just that he would have a different reason for driving than suggested earlier in the post quoted
Old 9 Jan 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3351853)   #1045
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
I don't and it's a losing battle, hence why I try and not post.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3351880)   #1046
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will the rules cap the fastest lap to 2:06 again this year?
Old 9 Jan 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3351884)   #1047
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Will the rules cap the fastest lap to 2:06 again this year?
No limit this year and a special GT3 only qualyfying session
Old 9 Jan 2014, 04:53 (Ref:3351898)   #1048
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't and don't say he won't drive. Just that he would have a different reason for driving than suggested earlier in the post quoted
thanks for the clarification FF.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3351962)   #1049
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No limit this year and a special GT3 only qualyfying session
Yay!! What's the estimate on pole time and race pace? Pole must be looking good for a 2:03, surely?
Old 9 Jan 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3351969)   #1050
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Yay!! What's the estimate on pole time and race pace? Pole must be looking good for a 2:03, surely?
with the resurface it has to be a chance

however remember the cars are in 12 hour mode