Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2015, 08:37 (Ref:3563887)   #1051
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Erm, how long before the inaugural Korean GP was the Yeongam circuit approved???!!!

Baku is going ahead. Surely the most likely prevention would be if Azerbaijan politically implodes...

I am so glad that Bernie is bringing back more GPs to the European continent: Austria, Baku, hope Astana is next. F1 fans are really happy. Azeri politics are very stable. It's an oil-rich quasi-police state that's run by the president's clan. Azerbaijan is the only state on the post-Soviet space where one president (the late Heidar Aliev) was able to pass the rule to his son without much public objections, and the first lady already mentioned that her son also has the presidents blood in him or something along those lines. After all, monarchy is a true European tradition.

Last edited by JacobP; 5 Aug 2015 at 08:47.
Old 5 Aug 2015, 12:05 (Ref:3563934)   #1052
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I am so glad that Bernie is bringing back more GPs to the European continent: Austria, Baku, hope Astana is next. F1 fans are really happy. Azeri politics are very stable. It's an oil-rich quasi-police state that's run by the president's clan. Azerbaijan is the only state on the post-Soviet space where one president (the late Heidar Aliev) was able to pass the rule to his son without much public objections, and the first lady already mentioned that her son also has the presidents blood in him or something along those lines. After all, monarchy is a true European tradition.
All well and good but Baku is not in Europe but Asia according to my geography teacher.
Old 5 Aug 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3563989)   #1053
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound2 View Post
All well and good but Baku is not in Europe but Asia according to my geography teacher.
Well if it's in Eurovision it MUST be in Europe! (PS don't mention Australia)
Old 6 Aug 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3564184)   #1054
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Well if it's in Eurovision it MUST be in Europe! (PS don't mention Australia)
Israel are in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3564195)   #1055
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i cant say the naming is an issue for me given that the 'European GP' has always been a bit of a generic moniker anyways.

actually a bit curious as to why the Azerbaijanis are ok with it...i thought the whole point of paying a stupid amount of money was to promote/advertise your own country/city/region.

anyways, if they put together a good track and can draw a decent sized crowd and continue to build on that year after year i have no problem with them on the calendar.

dont get me wrong, i have human rights concerns as well but in fairness i already have the same ones about several other races on the calendar including those about my own country of Canada and still watch.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3564204)   #1056
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i cant say the naming is an issue for me given that the 'European GP' has always been a bit of a generic moniker anyways.

actually a bit curious as to why the Azerbaijanis are ok with it...i thought the whole point of paying a stupid amount of money was to promote/advertise your own country/city/region.

anyways, if they put together a good track and can draw a decent sized crowd and continue to build on that year after year i have no problem with them on the calendar.

dont get me wrong, i have human rights concerns as well but in fairness i already have the same ones about several other races on the calendar including those about my own country of Canada and still watch.
From a motorsport's perspective, it's about continuing to build on a year by year that bugs me.

No one went to the Turkish GP but FOM continued to flog a dead horse. China had threatened to quit for the same reason and because they were haemorrhaging money but despite a new deal with Bernie they still are haemorrhaging money. India and Korea are now afterthoughts. As for Yas Marina, they change the schedule or give it double points, so it remains the championship decider. Plus there is no grass roots motorsports development. I don't see Baku lasting beyond its current contract.
Old 6 Aug 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3564209)   #1057
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fair point. without first building at a grass roots level long term success is most likely not going to happen and certainly there have been more failures then successes.

Singapore has been successful though and more then in a novelty night race sense imo. it is a street circuit in a populated city so perhaps there is an argument to be made that street races have a better chance in places with limited tradition and domestic race series of their own. India and Korea, i feel, were more disadvantaged by track location rather then lack of motorsports tradition for example.

i go back and forth on this one though.

edit. forgot to add i loved the Turkish GP and was glad FOM carried it for so long (because Bernie owned it maybe?) as i thought it did provide a lot of entertainment.

Last edited by chillibowl; 6 Aug 2015 at 19:09.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3564436)   #1058
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie Ecclestone in talks about a Formula 1 GP in Helsinki.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3564449)   #1059
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I read of plans for a new GP and Bernie is the source that usually means contract time. I wonder who he wants to get more money out of Germany or Italy?

On the positive side Finland looks like a good place for a GP with a country that has produced numerous GP winners an d champions. However who is going to pay Bernie his 20 million + the cost of setting up a circuit etc.?
Old 7 Aug 2015, 19:35 (Ref:3564451)   #1060
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound2 View Post
However who is going to pay Bernie his 20 million + the cost of setting up a circuit etc.?
No one unless they'd use taxpayers' money. This rumour about Helsinki GP was actually written by a reporter who normally writes about celebrities. No one has asked Bernie, it was only one side story. I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie answered when questioned about Helsinki GP "Robert...who?".
Old 7 Aug 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3564461)   #1061
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Great if it happens. There hasn't been a race in Scandinavia since Anderstorp in 1978, when Lauda won in the Brabham Fan Car and with Finland's motorsports heritage and huge fan base, this should have been on the calendar year's a go. As ever though, with Bernie, I suspect an ulterior motive.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3564463)   #1062
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Finland's motorsports heritage and huge fan base
Despite that, administrative organs here have always had anti-motorsport and anti-auto agenda. You wouldn't believe if you heard how expensive cars are here because of the taxation.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3564734)   #1063
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
There are strong rumors out of U.S. sports car racing circles that COTA is in serious financial trouble and may stop holding races entirely in 2017.

(On a related note, the rumors are also that the WEC round at COTA may go to Road America instead: See https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/s...87474736336896)
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3565983)   #1064
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
F3000 raced there in 1997... Race won by Soheil Ayari I remember.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 08:47 (Ref:3567649)   #1065
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I see where Bernie says Monza is less likely to get a new deal. With Germany also on the doubtful list that means there might only be 7 European GP's shortly (currently 8). I wonder how many GP's Bernie has to have in Europe as the numbers are falling.
If both Germany and Italy were to go then the only long standing European GP's left would be Spain, Belgium, Monaco and the British GPs. If one considers the major car manufacturing countries and markets in western Europe then the only one left would be England.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120405

I cannot imagine this would go down too well with Mercedes, Fiat and Renault none of whom would have a GP in their home countries.

It was also noticeable that Bernie did not use his usual trick of a possible GP in another location like Imola for example.

Last edited by wolfhound; 22 Aug 2015 at 09:10.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3567681)   #1066
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where Bernie says Monza is less likely to get a new deal. With Germany also on the doubtful list that means there might only be 7 European GP's shortly (currently 8). I wonder how many GP's Bernie has to have in Europe as the numbers are falling.
If both Germany and Italy were to go then the only long standing European GP's left would be Spain, Belgium, Monaco and the British GPs. If one considers the major car manufacturing countries and markets in western Europe then the only one left would be England.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120405

I cannot imagine this would go down too well with Mercedes, Fiat and Renault none of whom would have a GP in their home countries.

It was also noticeable that Bernie did not use his usual trick of a possible GP in another location like Imola for example.
This is not good, as potentially another European race risks being removed from the calendar but they've at least got a year to sort it out.

With regards to Germany, in that article Bernie says Hockenheim has a contract until 2018, so presumably they will race there from next year until that contract is renewed or expires?
Old 22 Aug 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3567708)   #1067
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
This is not good, as potentially another European race risks being removed from the calendar but they've at least got a year to sort it out.

With regards to Germany, in that article Bernie says Hockenheim has a contract until 2018, so presumably they will race there from next year until that contract is renewed or expires?
To the best of my knowledge Hockenheim has a contract for even numbered years which means that currently there will be no German GP in 2017 unless something has happened and no announcement as yet.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3567713)   #1068
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
To the best of my knowledge Hockenheim has a contract for even numbered years which means that currently there will be no German GP in 2017 unless something has happened and no announcement as yet.
It is even years. I should have known that, .
Old 7 Sep 2015, 19:49 (Ref:3572260)   #1069
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'm well pleased to hear Vettel's support for Monza.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120685
Old 7 Sep 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3572274)   #1070
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I'm well pleased to hear Vettel's support for Monza.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120685
I'm getting tired of these drivers sharing their opinions with the media and fans. FOM have a mandate to squeeze us for all our shitty money so they are just doing what they are told...and frankly they are doing a very good jobof it too!
Old 10 Sep 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3572929)   #1071
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
rumours of a possible return of the Turkish GP.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31862.html

it suggests they are waiting for government approval but that wont come after their upcoming election (presumably based on who wins).

i hope there is more to this then internal election maneuvering within Turkey as i have always liked the circuit and would like to see its return.

but if it does come back, which European track will be axed next?
Old 10 Sep 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3572938)   #1072
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that it is disingenuous of the spokesperson to say that they have to wait until after the election to get approval to host the race. What he actually means, I believe, is that he needs to wait to see of the incoming goverment will subsidise or pay for the race to take place.

Although the track is much admired by most of the F1 drivers, I don't believe that they and the teams like going to Istanbul for the race. The journey from the city to the circuit was a nightmare even though it isn't that far from the city centre, and there was no suitable accomodation anywhere nearer. And certainly the media hated it from that perspective.

No, like most of these newer tracks outside of mainland Europe ( I do believe that "technically" the circuit is in the Orient as it is to the east of the water that divides Istanbul) the race didnt attract enough bums on seats and has to rely on government assistance. I would have thought that with their participation in the Syrian conflict and the influx of refugees, and other migrants, that hosting a grand prix would come fairly low in their list of priorities.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3572946)   #1073
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
rumours of a possible return of the Turkish GP.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31862.html

it suggests they are waiting for government approval but that wont come after their upcoming election (presumably based on who wins).

i hope there is more to this then internal election maneuvering within Turkey as i have always liked the circuit and would like to see its return.

but if it does come back, which European track will be axed next?
I don't think we'll see the return of the Turkish GP, the political climate looks very unhealthy.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3572958)   #1074
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
an unhealthy political climate, or a level of violence within a nation, isnt necessarily a reason for FOM to not want to host a race there. if they can come up with the money they will race there.

Mexico has a race this year and its not a problem because the violence associated with the drug war happens far from the capital. the same could be said about the instability in Turkey is far from Istanbul.

anyways at this stage its just rumours, so an issue to be revisited if and when a race ever happens there again.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 18:28 (Ref:3572974)   #1075
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
an unhealthy political climate, or a level of violence within a nation, isnt necessarily a reason for FOM to not want to host a race there. if they can come up with the money they will race there.

Mexico has a race this year and its not a problem because the violence associated with the drug war happens far from the capital. the same could be said about the instability in Turkey is far from Istanbul.

anyways at this stage its just rumours, so an issue to be revisited if and when a race ever happens there again.
It is only a rumour. However, the problems in Turkey are of a political nature, quite different from drug barons in Mexico and Istanbul could easily be drawn into any potential, political instability. Only this year there were terrorist bombings in Istanbul and with renewed government attacks on the PKK, I don't think holding a GP there is a good idea but if FOM want to go ahead race there then more fool them.