Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Dec 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3178426)   #1176
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I think the livery was more in reference to the Le Mans/ Mobil One they used.
Yeah that was the livery on the 98 winning car that I was referring to. White with blue and red. It certainly stands out for me. Would've loved to see it on the RS Spyder, from memory one of the test cars had something similar but I'll have to look that up.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3178435)   #1177
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
from memory one of the test cars had something similar but I'll have to look that up.
This? http://www.gotbroken.com/2006-porsch...ing-at-estoril
Old 14 Dec 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3178512)   #1178
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Sorry , but this has gone right over my head ..... Mr.D ?

Do I have a prostate issue and need to pee in a bottle !!!
I was referring to Aysedasi's joke about you being Mr. Depardieu. Nothing to be ashamed of.

In all seriousness, I hope July comes before you know it. Take care!

Old 14 Dec 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3178527)   #1179
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The 911 GT1 98 was their best looking car IMO, I'm just a big fan of that era's homologation cars, CLK-LM R390 F1 GTR, too bad Grand Am can't be that!
Old 14 Dec 2012, 03:22 (Ref:3178551)   #1180
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Car Business, a TV show here in Canada, had an interview with one of the top guys at Porsche at the LA car show. They got into the LMP project and part that caught my attention was he said there is a brand new shop and 200-250 people just for this project. They once again reiterated they will be racing against Audi and the goal of the program is to be the best overall.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 03:25 (Ref:3178553)   #1181
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A brand-new shop and its own project director---it isn't under the normal Porsche motorsports guy, it is a separate program.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 05:13 (Ref:3178575)   #1182
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fritz Enziger (ex BMW F1)

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/u...tm_source=t.co

They have also brought in the following people:

Alex Hitzinger - recently 'Head of Advanced Technologies' for Red Bull F1 and Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Urs Kuratle - Chief Mechanic at Sauber F1.

Mike Krack - chief engineer > Kolles and Heinz Union (F3) (but with lots of Sauber F1 experience)
Old 14 Dec 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3178714)   #1183
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
So does Olaf Manthey have anything to do with the 2014 works team, or is just they works-backed GTE team that will remain just that after 1 development year for 991?
Old 14 Dec 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3178716)   #1184
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Manthey will stay in GTE. They make a lot of money from the 911.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3178722)   #1185
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The 911 GT1 98 was their best looking car IMO
I agree with you there! I really liked the 911 GT1-98 also. Too bad it liked to fly. Would've enjoyed seeing it for a few more years.

You can tell from the number of shots I took the day it showed up for PLM 1998 Scrutineering that I liked this car!

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/plm_1998/scrut2.htm

Last edited by CyberMotor; 14 Dec 2012 at 17:26. Reason: Added link
Old 14 Dec 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3178734)   #1186
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I agree with you there! I really liked the 911 GT1-98 also. Too bad it liked to fly. Would've enjoyed seeing it for a few more years.

You can tell from the number of shots I took the day it showed up for PLM 1998 Scrutineering that I liked this car!

Great pictures! Thanks for posting.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3178740)   #1187
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Autosport magazine:

Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas have returned full-time to Porsche.

"Le Mans 24 Hours Winners Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas have ended their loan spells with Audi to return full-time to Porsche.

The duo have been on loan to Audi for prototype duties since 2009, the year before they won the 24 Hours together with Mike Rockenfeller. Both had to choose between Audi and Porsche as the LMP1 returnee gears up to take on its sister marque with its new hybrid in 2014.

Bernhard said: “We always knew we would have to decide in one direction by the end of Duo is ending Audi spell 2012. Porsche is in my blood. They gave me so many opportunities, which is why I want to stay loyal to them.”

Bernhard and Dumas will spearhead development of Porsche’s new P1 hybrid, which will run for the first time in mid-2013."
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3178749)   #1188
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which will run for the first time in mid-2013.

In a race? Or do they mean testing?
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3178751)   #1189
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Which will run for the first time in mid-2013.

In a race? Or do they mean testing?
The fact they keep mentioning this makes me wonder? It is built to the 2014 rules though.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3178754)   #1190
lucky snake
Rookie

lucky snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely 2013 will be a year of intensive tests for porsche. A race debut in the same year is unlikely. Watching the performances of 2012 audi lmp1 drivers, losing timo bernhard, audi loses one of their best drivers, second only to lotterer in my opinion. They need to find a way to make competitive for the victory also their second car... mcnish and kristensen never were competitive like lotterer and treluyer.
Old 14 Dec 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3178755)   #1191
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It is a real shame that it flew at PLM, as Porsche were going to allow Champion to run it the following season in the ALMS. :-(
Old 14 Dec 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3178786)   #1192
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Fantastic photos. I didn't realize they took the cars offsite for scrutineering that year!
Old 14 Dec 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3178808)   #1193
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
According to Autosport magazine:

Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas have returned full-time to Porsche.

"Le Mans 24 Hours Winners Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas have ended their loan spells with Audi to return full-time to Porsche.

The duo have been on loan to Audi for prototype duties since 2009, the year before they won the 24 Hours together with Mike Rockenfeller. Both had to choose between Audi and Porsche as the LMP1 returnee gears up to take on its sister marque with its new hybrid in 2014.

Bernhard said: “We always knew we would have to decide in one direction by the end of Duo is ending Audi spell 2012. Porsche is in my blood. They gave me so many opportunities, which is why I want to stay loyal to them.”

Bernhard and Dumas will spearhead development of Porsche’s new P1 hybrid, which will run for the first time in mid-2013."
Great news, airbus!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 05:17 (Ref:3178840)   #1194
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Fantastic photos. I didn't realize they took the cars offsite for scrutineering that year!
Yes, for the first two years, scrutineering was held at Lenox Square Mall. When hearing this, many people asked, "A mall??!!"

Lenox is in the heart of the financial district, an entertainment district and is one of the most international areas in the city. I had received my first digital camera a few days before scrutineering occurred so I went down to Lenox which was about 15 minutes away and shot my first digital photos and posted them...

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/plm_1998/lenox.htm

Later, up at the track, I asked the Porsche team if I could enter their paddock and take photos of the 911 GT1-98? It was sitting with all the flaps down on the paddock and sitting as if it was a museum piece as the crew quietly worked on it. I went in and started taking photos with quite respect so as not to disturb the team as they worked on the car.

The next thing I knew, I felt someone looking over my shoulder at my new digital camera and it was Allan McNish and Yannick Dalmas! Next, the crew stopped working on the car and came over and everyone started looking at my digital camera as no one had ever seen one before. It was a bit surreal. I started to ask if they wanted to trade? They could play with my camera if I could play with their car!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3178909)   #1195
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
That´s a great anecdote Earl.

Would it be possible to look at the full pics instead of the thumbnails? Really appreciated if so.

Even if I didn´t attend the first 2 races, your reports surely helped wetting the appetite! Thanks for the great pics and stories, feels like a good trip down memory lane!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3178927)   #1196
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It is a real shame that it flew at PLM, as Porsche were going to allow Champion to run it the following season in the ALMS. :-(
Oh , I didnt know that . Would have looked brilliant in their livery .
Old 15 Dec 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3178948)   #1197
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Oh , I didnt know that . Would have looked brilliant in their livery .
I didn't know that either. That car in the Champion livery at night would of been incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
That´s a great anecdote Earl.

Would it be possible to look at the full pics instead of the thumbnails? Really appreciated if so.

Even if I didn´t attend the first 2 races, your reports surely helped wetting the appetite! Thanks for the great pics and stories, feels like a good trip down memory lane!
Thanks! When I find some time, I will dig into the archives and find the full resolution photos. There are a lot I didn't post. One specifically was of Dalmas while standing beside the car before the race. He looked a bit concerned about something while talking with his engineer. Before the PLM, the last race I had seen Dalmas, was at the Daytona 24 Hours where he was driving the Scandia Ferrari 333 SP.

At that race, I had gotten up in the middle of the night and was down in the pits around 3:00 AM. I watched the Ferrari come in for a normal pit stop, Dalmas got in and screamed off into the night with new tires and a full tank. I had my scanner with me and about 30 seconds later I heard a driver screaming, "I've lost a wheel, I've lost a wheel!!!" It was Dalmas and as he was approaching 200 MPH in the darkness on the back stretch, he had lost a rear wheel.

I was there as he brought the car back in riding on two wheels as the front left was off the ground and back right was scrubbing the track. Dalmas got out, was white as a sheet and looked like a man that had just escaped death. A new driver got in, they put a new wheel on and the car was off again as if nothing had ever happened. In the next race that I saw Dalmas, he had the blowover in the Porsche 911 GT1-98. Didn't hear much about Dalmas for awhile after those two adventures!
Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3178973)   #1198
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I did not know that. (meant to reply to your quote directly before, my apologies).

The Champion liveries were some of the highlights of PLM whenever they raced. Wish we could see them back. Champion racing the 911 GT1-98 would've been great.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3180359)   #1199
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
More on the driver front for the 2013 GTE campaign... Joerg Bergmeister lets slip on Twitter that he will be driving for the Porsche factory team in the WEC for the full season next year.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3180362)   #1200
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Romain Dumas has put on Facebook, that he is racing with Manthey next year with Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz.

"Pour compléter l'annonce d'hier, je vais rouler au sein du Porsche AG Team Manthey en FIA WEC avec Marc Lieb et Richard Lietz ;-)

To complement the announcement of yesterday, I'll ride in the Porsche AG Team Manthey in FIA WEC with Marc Lieb and Richard Lietz;-)"

*The above quote was translated using Bing

*I have also posted this in the 2 991 for WEC Manthey Racing thread*