Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Apr 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2447668)   #1201
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
And look at what happened to Jag? Did more harm than good!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2447699)   #1202
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Whilst I would agree, in principle, I sense Richards is looking to make the Aston Martin brand accessible to more people with lower priced entry level models. An F1 programme may better serve his marketing objectives, especially at a fraction of the current cost.
My comment was clearly tounge in cheak, but brands like Aston, Jagaur and Porsche have have played long and hard on past LM success. Few brands have been able to do that with F1 success in recent times,

I accept F1 has a better 'now factor' however a LM win lasts alot longer in peoples minds.

There is also a 4 x 4 under the brand lagonda being taken round the shows.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2447721)   #1203
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
My comment was clearly tounge in cheak, but brands like Aston, Jagaur and Porsche have have played long and hard on past LM success. Few brands have been able to do that with F1 success in recent times,

I accept F1 has a better 'now factor' however a LM win lasts alot longer in peoples minds.

There is also a 4 x 4 under the brand lagonda being taken round the shows.
Lagonda F1!?.
sounds good!, to bad the Lagonda is an 4x4!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2447741)   #1204
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sportscar racing is for Gentleman, Astons are brought by Gentlemen.

F1 is for Oiks

Aston if they know their market should stay in GT racing, leave F1 to the Oiks

Simple really.
excellent comment........along with the one about Jaguars F1 nightmare.......Don Panoz quote a few years back about endurance racing being like a fine wine is also relevant.......I think he said other series are like fizzy-pop....anyway, personally I cant honestly see AM entering F1 in the current financial climate. They need to prove themselves in LMP1 first, and that will take a minimum of 3 years.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2447763)   #1205
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Oh the irony.... 20 years ago, FIA tried to destroy sportscar racing by making it as expensive as Formula 1, this time they try to make F1 as (relatively!!) inexpensive as sportscar racing...
Old 23 Apr 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2447811)   #1206
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Oh the irony.... 20 years ago, FIA tried to destroy sportscar racing by making it as expensive as Formula 1, this time they try to make F1 as (relatively!!) inexpensive as sportscar racing...
lol

I read somewhere FIA (?) wants a budget cap of 30m Pound. If they can manage that I can understand AM and Lola want to enter F1 but I don't think that's realistic. The big factory teams like Ferrari and Mercedes will never agree with that.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2447838)   #1207
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Media just jumping on the topic?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...in-formula-one

While Autosport is talking about Prodrive obviously and a deal with Cosworth or one of the current engine suppliers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74707
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74709

Only bit about Aston Martin:

Q. You are the chairman of Aston Martin and Aston Martin Racing. Is it safe to assume the new Formula 1 team would be branded Aston Martin or at least the engine?

DR: It is too early to say at this stage as there are number of different routes we could go. There are many discussions to be had in the coming weeks once the regulations have been published. We will then make a decision.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2447840)   #1208
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Boohoo.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2447937)   #1209
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe , and will join the LMS series of series !!! .....
Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2448053)   #1210
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Your not going to see Aston Martin in F1, it's an even worse fit than Jaguar, a sporting mistake the company is still trying to recover from.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2448386)   #1211
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Your not going to see Aston Martin in F1, it's an even worse fit than Jaguar, a sporting mistake the company is still trying to recover from.
It depends who is footing the bill. IF the sponsors say here is the money lets go to F1 they will do it. Remember it is not Aston Martin that is paying for the Sportscar programme - it is effectively a good privateer effort with a manufacturers branding.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2448413)   #1212
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just by making a comment AM hit the headlines and get free publicity, there was even a feature on the news, whether they do go into F1 or not the excersise was a success. Astons like Jaguar and Bentley will always be linked to sportscars racing but so to is ferrari and anything that can get your name out in the public glare but not linked to redundancies or losses has got to be a feather in the Gap of Mr Richards and as yet it has cost him nothing.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2448494)   #1213
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
No. It's a brand marketing nightmare.
Does any glamour rub off from the MILLIONS Toyota has spent thus far to finish 8th? Er, no. Toyota got WAY more bang for the buck from TTEs rallying efforts. Until Turbogate, that is!
Mercedes are trading on the Lewis effect, rather than specific results.
I don't hear folks buying BMWs because Robert Kubica won a race in F1 in one!

F1 is a black hole in corporate financing, and it sucks money into Bernieland.

Le Mans type racing is car v car. Manufacturers win it, not drivers.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2448584)   #1214
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston, Jaguar, Porsche and Ford etc should consider the money they spent on factory Sportscar teams in the 50's 60's and 70's etc as money very well spent.

The return they are getting on money spent 50 years ago should be a pointer where that money is spent now.

Few people know or care what make of car won the F1 WDC in in 69 for example, but there can be little doubt in most peoples minds that it was Ford that won Le mans.

I dont recal seeing a Lotus DFV or Stewart Ford F1 car on what was the most photographed centre piece at Goodwood a few years ago. It was the GT40. Still earning its keep after 40 years.

In F1, the drivers are the stars, in GT racing its the cars.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2448631)   #1215
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Aston, Jaguar, Porsche and Ford etc should consider the money they spent on factory Sportscar teams in the 50's 60's and 70's etc as money very well spent.

The return they are getting on money spent 50 years ago should be a pointer where that money is spent now.

Few people know or care what make of car won the F1 WDC in in 69 for example, but there can be little doubt in most peoples minds that it was Ford that won Le mans.

I dont recal seeing a Lotus DFV or Stewart Ford F1 car on what was the most photographed centre piece at Goodwood a few years ago. It was the GT40. Still earning its keep after 40 years.

In F1, the drivers are the stars, in GT racing its the cars.

I totally agree, Porsche made their name on the sportscars of yesteryear winning and dominating sportscar races, Jaguar on the c and d types and Bentley on the Le mans races from a time before most epole were born, even ferrari lives on the image of cars that have never seen an F1 race. Perhaps
the face of motor racing will return to those days rather than the legal rangling that sums up todays F1 debarcle.
Old 6 May 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2456552)   #1216
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
while I will openly admit I really couldnt care about driver line ups and the latest car colour scheme.........DSC is reporting that Stuart Hall and Anthony Davidson have just tested the LMP1 Lolas during the Algarve test........as well as Paul Drayson doing 10 laps........thats quite significant news isnt it???......sounds like there might be an all british squad in one of the cars
Old 6 May 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2456557)   #1217
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
while I will openly admit I really couldnt care about driver line ups and the latest car colour scheme.........DSC is reporting that Stuart Hall and Anthony Davidson have just tested the LMP1 Lolas during the Algarve test........as well as Paul Drayson doing 10 laps........thats quite significant news isnt it???......sounds like there might be an all british squad in one of the cars
That would be magnificent! But also baffling...

The only car left with seats is the Aston entered under the AMR Eastern Europe banner - so the only all-English driven Aston will be Czech entered!
Old 6 May 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2456574)   #1218
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are we certain that the driver line-ups are set in stone, maybe a reshuffle of the line-ups with the 3rd chassis entering???

L.P.
Old 6 May 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2456578)   #1219
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Are we certain that the driver line-ups are set in stone, maybe a reshuffle of the line-ups with the 3rd chassis entering???

L.P.
Wait, I just thought - Audi switched the #1 and #2 Audi line ups round.

Does anyone know why?
Old 7 May 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2457027)   #1220
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Wait, I just thought - Audi switched the #1 and #2 Audi line ups round.

Does anyone know why?
The retirement of Biela and Pirro!, and the fact that the former #2, won Le Mans, so there for can race under #1!
Old 7 May 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2457265)   #1221
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im surprised they let Drayson test the beast before Le Mans , what would they have done if a half blind dude had pranged it !!!
Old 7 May 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2457370)   #1222
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Im surprised they let Drayson test the beast before Le Mans , what would they have done if a half blind dude had pranged it !!!
I'm sure Paul was on his best behavior!
Old 7 May 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2457400)   #1223
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well, if, a mono-optically sighted driver pranged it, I would assume that they would of done the same thing as if a, stero-optically sighted driver had pranged it!!!!

L.P.
Old 7 May 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2457410)   #1224
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The retirement of Biela and Pirro!, and the fact that the former #2, won Le Mans, so there for can race under #1!
No, at Le Mans last year - McNish, Kristensen and Capello were entered for the number 1 car but they raced as the number 2 car.

I know because in a blind bid I bid for the McNish car - but it swapped, and the rules were it was the number not the drivers. So I didn't win.
Old 10 May 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2458906)   #1225
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just listening to Hindy on RLM from Spa..........

Direct injection engines for the works Aston Lola's at Le Mans. Is that the first time this has been mentioned? Significant piece of news!