Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Sep 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3672943)   #1201
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm thinking IMSA has hired a brain to share and are willing to allow an engine with bodywork to come. And they have mentioned a few companies are working toward introduction at a later date. I know we all dismissed it but maybe there's something there with Nissan and not as much coming from HPD. But with the NSX coming in 2017 any HPD kit could be delayed and ESM needs something sooner than 'in the future.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
I'm deeply confused by this, I thought "DPi" required custom bodywork...
Me too. I know Nissan gas said nothing about an official DPi, But I also wonder if Nissan would let them use a racing engine without approval. I guess it is safe to say there will be more info forthcoming.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 02:55 (Ref:3672946)   #1202
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
I'm deeply confused by this, I thought "DPi" required custom bodywork...
They do. And although there's been a rumor of one-year delay being talked about for it, it is not looking likely that IMSA will be shifting their position anytime soon.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 03:52 (Ref:3672953)   #1203
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe we'll just see a red Ligier with Nismo gtr lights and a big Nissan sticker on the fin.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 05:39 (Ref:3672956)   #1204
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I think he's just referring all IMSA P cars as DPi's instead of splitting them to DPi and P2.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3672991)   #1205
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's just the way the article is written. It's really a non-issue except for people who obsess over crapping on IMSA.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3672993)   #1206
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think he's just referring all IMSA P cars as DPi's instead of splitting them to DPi and P2.
That doesn't clear up the matter AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Yeah, it's just the way the article is written. It's really a non-issue except for people who obsess over crapping on IMSA.
Wanting clarification of what's going on with this equals crapping on IMSA? That's an interesting way to view things.

The article as written implies that it's engine only, which goes against IMSA's stated plan: Either engine AND bodywork, or you run the Gibson V8. It's not at all strange to want more information to clear up this matter, and it's certainly not "crapping on" anybody to point out the reasons it doesn't make sense.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3673001)   #1207
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Either engine AND bodywork, or you run the Gibson V8.
That's my understanding as well. I tend to call the members of the DPi platform which opt for the former a "DPi" and the latter a (ACO) P2. So I'm surprised to see someone announcing (maybe) running with a different engine without mention of bodywork from said engine manufacturer as well. It is my understanding that IMSA will not accept such a "DPi". Mentions that I've seen so far say that going for a P2 is a good thing, as it can be "easily" converted into a DPi, but that does require installation of a different (non-ACO-spec Gibson) engine as well as custom bodywork that is "recognizably" different (I seem to remember a statement from within IMSA saying that just minor aesthetic rebrushes aren't good enough for qualifying for manufacturer-cued styling). So I end up confused by the ESM story.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3673005)   #1208
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On another hand, if any team was going to get a rules break, I could see it being the team which is funding the North American Endurance Cup ....

It was my understanding that the "custom bodywork" had to come from a manufacturer, thus a company which had paid the "partner's fee." I didn't think just anyone could create some custom bodywork and call the result a "DPi."

It would get pretty hard for IMSA of aero-BoP all the bodywork if any shop could produce "custom" DPi panels. Also, I think the whole point of the rule was to force factories to pay to play---so if Nissan wanted to brag about winning and IMSA race with its Nissan V8-Ligier or Nissan-Oreca, it would have to pay the fees and submit the bodywork Like all the other manufacturers in DPi.

What a storm it would set off if Nissan could claim victories with its independently built "Nissan-Ligier" while GM had to pay big bucks to enter its "Cadillac DPi."

Sadly we will have to wait not just for the details of this rumor, but also to see if this rumor is even true, or if it is a rumor based on an exploration which will not pan out.

I've got to say, 2018 is looking to be a really big year for IMSA ....
Old 17 Sep 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3673010)   #1209
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
(...)
It was my understanding that the "custom bodywork" had to come from a manufacturer, thus a company which had paid the "partner's fee." I didn't think just anyone could create some custom bodywork and call the result a "DPi."
(...)
I've got to say, 2018 is looking to be a really big year for IMSA ....
From Panoz' statement on the DPi progress (won't happen, because other manufacturers don't see Panoz as manufacturer, and partner fee) that seems to be the case, indeed.

And can we agree that "the year after" will be a really big year for IMSA as we keep updating the actual number for some years now already
Old 17 Sep 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3673015)   #1210
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe we'll just see a red Ligier with Nismo gtr lights and a big Nissan sticker on the fin.
That certainly brings up an interesting point... how involved does the manufactuer bodywork need to be? If the Ligier, for example, has the aero they like with some improvments, could it be just as easy as stylizing the headlight bucket and changing the taillights?

I mean, thats a pretty cheap way to get around the manu specific aero kit.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3673019)   #1211
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
That certainly brings up an interesting point... how involved does the manufactuer bodywork need to be? If the Ligier, for example, has the aero they like with some improvments, could it be just as easy as stylizing the headlight bucket and changing the taillights?

I mean, thats a pretty cheap way to get around the manu specific aero kit.
Good point really. Do you even need to change the lights? The Alpine is just a chassis plate on an ORECA. Will we see that?
Old 17 Sep 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3673022)   #1212
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Good point really. Do you even need to change the lights? The Alpine is just a chassis plate on an ORECA. Will we see that?
AFAIUI, no.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3673029)   #1213
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am pretty sure the manufacturers (read: GM) who pushed for "styling cues" bodywork are not going to be pleased if any other factory gets to play for less pay.

This could mean a couple things, though; Maybe if Nissan ponied up the "Partner" fee GM would be okay with minimal mods ("Hey, it's their lost potential ad impact") or might demand a more sizable investment---but I have no clue what the fine details of the rules actually specify, so this is all "Ten/Tenths Fact"--that is, wild speculation.

I also don't know how long GM's lobbying arm reaches, nor how committed Nissan might be, if at all.

I am pretty sure GM doesn't want to be giving up wins to Nissan (a well-proven power plant) unless Nissan jumps through every rule book hoop GM can imagine or interpret (same thing, really.)
Old 17 Sep 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3673056)   #1214
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a very interesting situation, and I think it's a key point. If you ask me, I think the idea to force teams to use a bodywork with the shape of a manufacturer's brand isn't a good idea, because it close the door for projects like this (the ESM) because it's a lot more expensive to build a bodywork, than just to install an engine with their cooling needs on a chassis.

When all this of the DPi started, I thought that just manufacturers should be forced to use manufacturer's bodywork, letting the teams use the standard bodywork of the chassises with they prefered engine on the back, because it's a lot more simple, and we could see several different engines.

Now, what I have read some days ago, is that some manufacturers could start 2017 with the standard chassis bodywork, because time schedule issues. So, IMSA could allow teams (for some time) to use standard bodywork and DPi engines even for Mazda or GM at least for Daytona.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3673057)   #1215
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From sportscar365 this morning:

*Honda is unlikely to enter the DPi ranks next year, with the focus primarily on the Acura NSX GT3 development and factory race program. “Our focus is on getting this thing launched,” HPD VP/COO Steve Eriksen told Sportscar365. “That’s the key thing. The NSX is such an exciting vehicle that we want to make sure we get it right.”

Makes sense as to why ESM have a Nissan package, no word on how they could though.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3673061)   #1216
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I've texted a few friends in the journalism world, hoping for clarification. I'd imagine you won't be able to get away with running the pure stock bodywork and adding a sticker. But, how different it needs to be? That's the question.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3673070)   #1217
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I've texted a few friends in the journalism world, hoping for clarification. I'd imagine you won't be able to get away with running the pure stock bodywork and adding a sticker. But, how different it needs to be? That's the question.
I believe the series has the right to review and approve/disapprove any manufacturer suggested edits. So of the series doesn't think the changes are enough they can send you back to the drawing board.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:20 (Ref:3673077)   #1218
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Raffauf has said repeatedly it will require actual physical changes to the bodywork, just slapping stickers on a constructor chassis will not be acceptable.

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3673080)   #1219
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I believe the series has the right to review and approve/disapprove any manufacturer suggested edits. So of the series doesn't think the changes are enough they can send you back to the drawing board.
Yep, he has also stated this as well.

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3673082)   #1220
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yep, he has also stated this as well.
Right, see my post above.... it's a matter of how much.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3673083)   #1221
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Which, is really quite gray. Even changing just a handful of things will leave a ton of it open for interpretation.... this could get a bit interesting.

How does one clarify "what is enough"... It's an easy argument to say.

Well, Manufactuer A did XYZ to make their bodywork have "cues" We here at Manufactuer B think we have met our "cues" through this XYZ.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3673084)   #1222
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Which, is really quite gray. Even changing just a handful of things will leave a ton of it open for interpretation.... this could get a bit interesting.

How does one clarify "what is enough"... It's an easy argument to say.

Well, Manufactuer A did XYZ to make their bodywork have "cues" We here at Manufactuer B think we have met our "cues" through this XYZ.
Exactly what I was trying to say, it is up to the black box that is "series management".
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3673086)   #1223
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say, it is up to the black box that is "series management".
Luckily the "series management" has a history of making the right calls, treating every entrant equally and consistently, plus planning well and communicating clearly.

[/sarcasm]
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3673089)   #1224
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
You really think that the OEM's are not aware of the requirements or that they do not have to submit renders for approval?

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3673090)   #1225
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
You really think that the OEM's are not aware of the requirements or that they do not have to submit renders for approval?

L.P.
Did you read my previous post about the series getting to review and approve the plans?