Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2933766)   #1201
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a cheap one on ebay, an Omega one, it was massive and a load of rubbish. It was trying to be a jack of all trades and pick up everything and so picked up nothing with any clarity or accuracy.
I'm thinking that unless you spend the right amount of dough on one you will be wasting what you do spend. So the question would be how much to spend on one?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2933777)   #1202
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
The only other advice that I can give is that as you are a trainee you should not take your new scanner onto the bank, Fine if you are speculating though. On the bank the pc will have one and they will take a dim view of your having one, you will need to concentrate on the circuit and not on gathering information that you cannot act upon. Get a small FM radio and listen to the commentator if you like, still do not act on what you hear and don't believe what you hear.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2933778)   #1203
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive also just got one from ebay and its excellent,yes its a bit big compared to newer ones but for £30 i dont mind
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2933779)   #1204
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrawlings View Post
Hi all, I'm posting this question instead of searching on forum as browsing via phone an won't let me search. What's the cheapest scanner to pick up all the marshal info on circuits ? My main one is going to be Thruxton. Looking to spend £50 max. If that means fleebay then so be it! Cheers lee
Try the Maycom AR-108 and is around £65 ish. Picks up most transmissions on circuits the only exception I have found is Goodwood as it does not cover the frequency used.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2933784)   #1205
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that. Radio would be used for when spectating to start with. Annoying thing is I did have one but hadn't used it for 5 yrs so binned it! Doh!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2933787)   #1206
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lovelock View Post
Try the Maycom AR-108 and is around £65 ish. Picks up most transmissions on circuits the only exception I have found is Goodwood as it does not cover the frequency used.
Thanks Roger will look it up ;-)
Old 31 Jul 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2933796)   #1207
BIGPAUL
Racer

England
Braintree
BIGPAUL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a result here & got a maycom AR108 from flee bay on a buy it now for £23 + p&p so they r out there with in your price range
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2934073)   #1208
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
Ive also just got one from ebay and its excellent,yes its a bit big compared to newer ones but for £30 i dont mind
what make an model was that socko?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2934087)   #1209
socko
Rookie

England
Commtel com306
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2934102)   #1210
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
Commtel com306
cheers
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2934122)   #1211
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my Maycom AR108 from Maplins online it was a "b grade" under 50 quid with a Maplin 6 month warranty, though I think it was new.

Maplins b grades don't hang around for long so you may have to wait a while until you see one, then buy as soon as you see it!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2934196)   #1212
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
The only other advice that I can give is that as you are a trainee you should not take your new scanner onto the bank, Fine if you are speculating though. On the bank the pc will have one and they will take a dim view of your having one, you will need to concentrate on the circuit and not on gathering information that you cannot act upon.
I'm not sure that many Post Chiefs would "take a dim view" of trainees using scanners. I prefer people in their first year or so not to use scanners - it's a steep enough learning curve without unnecessary distractions - but would never stop anyone from using one unless it became obvious that it was diverting their attention from what's going on around them.

Quote:
Get a small FM radio and listen to the commentator if you like, still do not act on what you hear and don't believe what you hear.
NO! I've never marshalled at a meeting where radio commentary has been available, but if it had been I would not want marshals listening to it. We ban the use of mobile phones & cameras on post; listening to a radio is just as big a no-no.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2934216)   #1213
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

NO! I've never marshalled at a meeting where radio commentary has been available, but if it had been I would not want marshals listening to it. We ban the use of mobile phones & cameras on post; listening to a radio is just as big a no-no.
Taken on board, Yes, Phones and cameras obvious, but the radio is of course simply a repartition of the p.a. which may or may not be audible, (some places all to audible) But if the pc says they have a problem with simply having a clearer version of what we can usually hear then it gets put away, no question.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2934244)   #1214
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
listening to a radio is just as big a no-no.
Unless you're flagging something long distance at Silverstone where it's invaluable. On the whole I'd agree, though.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2934617)   #1215
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure that many Post Chiefs would "take a dim view" of trainees using scanners. I prefer people in their first year or so not to use scanners - it's a steep enough learning curve without unnecessary distractions - but would never stop anyone from using one unless it became obvious that it was diverting their attention from what's going on around them.

I'd be interested to know more about the reasons why radio is such a bad thing. I have used a radio at the grand prix - so did many other people on post - and at Le Mans Series events, otherwise I would have had no chance of being able to follow the race. Maybe I shouldn't have done, so I'd like to know what people think the problems are.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2934650)   #1216
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
I'd be interested to know more about the reasons why radio is such a bad thing.
OK, here's a question for you. Would you have been happy for me to have been listening to the cricket commentary on post last Saturday?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2934674)   #1217
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OK, here's a question for you. Would you have been happy for me to have been listening to the cricket commentary on post last Saturday?
I am not sure people are suggesting they listen to another sport - I think the suggestion was that they were listening to Race Radio?

But even with Race Radio, I can see the reasons why not to listen to it. Suppose the Radio says "oh thats a big accident they should stop the race for that" and you react by throwing a red. Somebody (you, post chief and race control) will be having an interesting discussion that not even the Post Chief's radio should be allowed to broadcast!!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2934697)   #1218
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I am not sure people are suggesting they listen to another sport - I think the suggestion was that they were listening to Race Radio?
In both cases, though, you're listening to something that's not happening on your sector of track (in the latter case, admittedly, not all of the time) rather than paying attention to what's going on around you.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2934851)   #1219
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can certainly understand why there would some issues with the use of scanners. But as I've already been told on post, as long as I don't react to transmissions and only to our PC then it's ok. I certainly believe I'm able to do that.

I have benefitted at most places I've been so far to be close enough to circuit commentary to be able to rely on that. But there have been occasions where communication on what is happening in the races, (and by this I mean green flag laps, chequered flags or safety cars) haven't been adequately communucated and leaves us somewhat in the dark. Not great when a race gets cancelled half way through!
With that in mind I can see the attraction of scanners so long as (as many people have already said) you remain attentive of what is occuring at your post.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2934875)   #1220
Glasscyclist
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East
Glasscyclist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
scanners

I’m a new contributor to the forum but regularly read the posts since becoming a Marshal last year through my son. The perpetual chattering about scanners repeats itself once again and I decided I wanted to add my thoughts.
Why do people think that someone with an earpiece in listening to race control or other posts transmitting messages will become an inattentive drone and not pay attention to his immediate surroundings? Are Post chiefs empowered with higher abilities than mere trainees and are able to listen and watch and react better than us? I accept a Post chief has more experience on the race track than many other Marshals through the ability and experience they have accrued to reach that position. But do people think that trainee Marshals come into marshalling without any knowledge and experience gained from the world outside racing.
Having been a Police officer for 30 years I believe I have the ability to listen to transmissions through an ear piece, assimilate what I am listening to, react if necessary to what I hear and respond to my immediate surroundings all at the same time. The brain after all is an amazing piece of equipment which allows the user to perform multiple functions.
I do not use a scanner personally but don’t see it as an issue if people on post do, sometimes it can be extremely helpful especially if the team has to spread to the other side of the track away from the Post chief with the only radio.
Please lets eventually put the discussion about scanners to rest, after all the original question at the top of this post was which scanner would people recommend and where could they get a cheap one.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2934877)   #1221
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasscyclist View Post
Please lets eventually put the discussion about scanners to rest, after all the original question at the top of this post was which scanner would people recommend and where could they get a cheap one.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2934942)   #1222
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In both cases, though, you're listening to something that's not happening on your sector of track (in the latter case, admittedly, not all of the time) rather than paying attention to what's going on around you.
Which is as much an argument against scanners as it is against listening to a circuit commentator on the radio.

The truth is you can't tell what radio station a marshal is tuned into, but equally the same is true of a scanner. They could be listening to the helicopter pilots coming in to land, team radios, spotters, all sorts of things that are of no value.

Basically, if marshals are getting distracted by an earpiece it doesn't matter what they're listening to, they should be asked to remove it by their post chief.

To answer the original question about the best scanner to get, I would agree the Maycom AR-108 is excellent, and the best way to get one for a budget of £50 is to wait and watch the Maplin web site until they have their next sale.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2934957)   #1223
socko
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post

Basically, if marshals are getting distracted by an earpiece it doesn't matter what they're listening to, they should be asked to remove it by their post chief.
I get distracted by the half naked pit girls can i get my post chief to remove there distracting clothing so i dont have to think about
Old 2 Aug 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2934967)   #1224
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Thanks all. Opened a can of worms there but have got the answers I'm looking for. ;-)
Old 2 Aug 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2935085)   #1225
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasscyclist View Post
I’m a new contributor to the forum but regularly read the posts since becoming a Marshal last year through my son. The perpetual chattering about scanners repeats itself once again and I decided I wanted to add my thoughts.
Why do people think that someone with an earpiece in listening to race control or other posts transmitting messages will become an inattentive drone and not pay attention to his immediate surroundings? Are Post chiefs empowered with higher abilities than mere trainees and are able to listen and watch and react better than us? I accept a Post chief has more experience on the race track than many other Marshals through the ability and experience they have accrued to reach that position. But do people think that trainee Marshals come into marshalling without any knowledge and experience gained from the world outside racing.
Having been a Police officer for 30 years I believe I have the ability to listen to transmissions through an ear piece, assimilate what I am listening to, react if necessary to what I hear and respond to my immediate surroundings all at the same time. The brain after all is an amazing piece of equipment which allows the user to perform multiple functions.
I do not use a scanner personally but don’t see it as an issue if people on post do, sometimes it can be extremely helpful especially if the team has to spread to the other side of the track away from the Post chief with the only radio.
Oh no!
What is the world coming to? I find myself agreeing with a policeman!!