Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 Jul 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1035851)   #101
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Am I alone in thinking that Formula Woman has generated enough positive PR now,
Positive PR? The only people putting that out seem to be those running FW - opinions of the concept and the horrible TV show seem to be pretty one-sided in the motorsport world just now...
Old 13 Jul 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1035941)   #102
sidsideways
Rookie

sidsideways should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect this year will be a one off -- can't see any worth in continuing into 2005. But then I thought Big Brother would be killed off!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 23:39 (Ref:1035956)   #103
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent seen it, Im getting from this discussion that she was sacked for grabbing the steering wheel. That cant be right, that is a normal thing that you do when instructing, they are taught to bring the car and billy back in one piece and to do that they risk a lot. Many instructors break their fingers just stop billies hurting themselves, quite heroic really.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1035992)   #104
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe how nasty some of the people have been on here, and how bitter some people are too.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is what I worked out from the TV show:

1) Formula Woman was never designed to be an all out racing series. It is designed for women who would simply like the chance to drive a car in a race series, with other women who are the same.

2) The whole thing about about an MSA License is easy to understand. The rules were that no one with any previous license could enter. What's the problem with that? That's like saying that only people between 30 and 40 could enter - if you were 41, you'd realise that you were too old and couldn't enter, therefore you dont. That's not all that difficult to get your head round is it?

3) Someone said something about there are more talented women who could be driving in the series - that totally defeats the point of FW though! It's for women who wouldn't normally, and wouldn't normally know how to, get into a race car and drive it, as well as sorting out the sponsorship! If it creates two or three great women racing drivers, then I think FW will have served its purpose. For all the others, it has given them a bit of TV exposure, which I am sure the women will not be complaining at.

I personally thought that the show was great. I wont have chance to get to see this in action, but it would be great to see it on the BTCC support package. That would give the women more exposure, and the chance to hang around with some experienced racing drivers, who could possibly help them more.

Give the show a break, and let's see what happens with it before we say that it's the worst thing since Max Mosely getting involved in F1.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 01:47 (Ref:1035995)   #105
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, and Toria to win! (I met her at the motorshow, and she's a lovely person)
Old 14 Jul 2004, 05:52 (Ref:1036055)   #106
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mackmot my impression from watching the show (mainly the comments by Harvey and others) were that Legge didnt do enough to prevent incidents
Old 14 Jul 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1036106)   #107
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for talking sense, 100%VauxhallFan!

For some reason there are too many people wanting Formula Woman to fail. While I'd be the first to admit that the races at Oulton were poor, I think that's largely because the competitors were not ready to race; I would also question the choice of cars.

I'll make my judgement at the end of the season.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 09:10 (Ref:1036159)   #108
Webber45
Rookie

Webber45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest FW offered an opportunity to girls to get into motorsport who may not have otherwise had a chance.

Finanacial reasons aside, if they were that keen there are plenty of ways in. I was rather sceptical when I read the ads looking for potential contestants about what FW would involve.

Why can't girls race with the boys? Could they not have found some girls, trained them and put htem out with the boys?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1036189)   #109
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, and called it Formula Man, in huge V8 RWD beasts. I think they have that in Australia already...

I don't see anything wrong with the idea myself, everyone needs a leg up in to motorsport somehow. It's usually because daddy has a big chequebook, this is just another way.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1036277)   #110
Derek Legge
Rookie

Derek Legge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my profile is not available it would appear that 10-tenths are not as impartial as they make out.

Could it be because a poster last night suggested i pm everbody and that they want to prevent this.

do i smell a conspiracy?

I expect they will prevent me from posting soon.

And i havnt even said anything controversial yet.

Someone must be worried !!!

Last edited by ss_collins; 14 Jul 2004 at 12:01.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1036307)   #111
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the heck is going on here.I clicked on Derek's name and get a 'site not responding' message? Unless this is sorted out pronto this site might as well be closed.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1036308)   #112
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
edited dereks post, no point in puuting you e-mail address up there - just get loads of junk mail.

the profile - I have no idea about but takes ages to load so might be a problem with the site.

I'm also having loads of problems accesing bits of the site at the minute so its not just dereks profile!

Last edited by ss_collins; 14 Jul 2004 at 12:06.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1036314)   #113
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam is correct - this seemed to be an intermittent fault, probably due to the volume of use of the forums!
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:11 (Ref:1036315)   #114
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just accessed Dereks profile, took absolutely ages to load tho'

Steve McQueen
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:16 (Ref:1036320)   #115
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFAIK our e-mail addresses are on our profiles? yes I get lots of junk mail delete from to contact me.
Seeing as you seem to part of the (miss) management Mr.Collins,perhaps you could solve a few more mysteries?
Why when I click 'go to latest unread post'does it go to the last post,period?
Why do I sometimes get an e-mail advising me someone has posted on a thread I have previously posted on,and sometimes not?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1036328)   #116
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my two penneth worth......

I only saw the FW program last night and as a woman I was completely insulted by it. I appreciate that it is partly designed to be sensational, reality TV but how are you supposed to take it seriously AT ALL?????

Two comments from participants spring to mind.....(not exact quotes you understand, but you get my gist)

"it's about time there was a category specifically for women"

Why? A number of women are doing very well in existing series where they are competing against men. Susie Stoddart for instance.

"motor racing is my passion, I'm gutted to be eliminated"

This was from the lady that was excluded because she had previously held, but never used a licence.

If you are THAT passionate about motor racing to the point that you'd already held a licence, surely you'd make an effort to USE the licence. It isn't that difficult to get yourself a car and race in a small clubbie event. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I think the program (especially the credits) portrayed a lot of the contestants as whinging, handbag wielding women who will probably stop mid way round the circuit to apply their lipstick.

I'm sure that this isn't the really case for any of them but that's how it came across. Like I said, I was completely insulted by it.

That's only my opinion though....maybe I took it too seriously
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1036377)   #117
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the above post from Red Barron is a good example of what is acceptable - but the recent posts by 'Derek Legge' have not been. They were stuff that shouldn't be on a public forum as they appear to be e-mails and detials that should be confidential - I am sure there would be legal implications for ten tenths if they were allowed to stay, Derek (and others) this is not the place to air dirty laundry. Its for discussion and opinion.

Last edited by ss_collins; 14 Jul 2004 at 13:05.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1036380)   #118
Derek Legge
Rookie

Post there one minute gone the next.

I hope some of you saw them before they were removed. I have copied all posts and will circulate to those that have my email or who can pm me if 10_tenths allow you access.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1036397)   #119
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't watch the first broadcast... fell asleep after the British GP... But I did catch the rerun and got sort of hooked in, against all my better instincts!

Despite my initial reservations, it was certainly decent television, whatever the pros and cons of the concept itself.

I heard about the races at Oulton, and suspect Dave Brand is right - they weren't really ready for it. Though I can understand a tight schedule and limited budget may have been factors.

My interpretation of the programme's concept is to find an overall winner who will then be pitched in to the BTCC to fight against the boys, rather than to create a women only series. I see no problem with that. I see no problem with the rules regarding MSA licences either, or the expulsion of one contestant for that reason.

With any 'reality' show of this nature there will be those who insist it's all a fix, or that the winners are selected for the wrong reasons. The FW programme was pretty up front in saying that they were looking for the right 'package' in the winner - not just the best driver, but also good with the media and strong psychologically. Seems reasonable - both qualities are certainly helpful in a professional racing driver.

Now the fly in the ointment. Irrespective of the details of consent forms, I have to question the editorial decision to include Katherine's sacking. Surely the programme is about the trials and tribulations of the competitors, not the staff. I'm not going to argue with the decision to let Katherine go - as senior instructor, that's Tim Harvey's prerogative, but it could have been done entirely invisibly. It was wholly unnecessary to show her in such a light - after all, unlike the competitors Katherine is trying to make a living in the sport.

Although I have no idea of the editorial control or otherwise that Glew had, I'm inclined to take ITV's apology and their associated excuse with a pinch of salt. It might have been a genuine cock up in editing, but it's obvious they'd decided to make it a part of the original show, which returns me to my question above.

Derek, I met Katherine a month or so ago in her capacity as a hostess/team leader at a corporate event at Silverstone. She was great fun, did a fantastic job, and helped make it a superb day out. That didn't involve any race tuition so I can't comment on that, but I hope the debacle with FW doesn't put Katherine off continuing to do this kind of work - she'd be a great loss.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1036403)   #120
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Don't know what is going on here.Think I will have to stop viewing this thread or I might have a heart attack.mention of a conspiracy increases my blood pressure!
I have been a fan of Katherine Legge for several years and wish her well.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1036404)   #121
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ss-collins - hope I've skirted the worst of any legal implications above, feel free to edit if not.

As for those who believe any 'lack of access' to profiles, or decisions to pull/edit posts, are tantamount to some kind of conspiracy, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

The mods don't have any control over the software, so you can't blame us for any bugs - hopefully those who can will iron them out. And quite often, we're a victim of our own success, and "server too busy" messages do tend to crop up when the site begins to creak...

As a fairly sizeable discussion forum, Ten-Tenths is obliged to tread very carefully when it comes to legal wrangles and any hint of libel - the site can be held responsible for anything written here by any member, and discussion forums have been closed down in the past. Unfortunately, this can sometimes restrict the discussion, but it's in all our interests to be careful.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1036418)   #122
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appreciate that this is a topic which does get quite heated, but i think we do need to give the mods a bit of support. I know I would rather have certain threads held within boundaries then the site become a free for all and risk being shut down. However, as a series designed to encourage women in motorsport and help promote their careers, the series could have had the opposite effect on one of the more promising female single seater drivers.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1036454)   #123
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derek,
I don't know you, but why not PM Sam your address and ask him to get your landline number from Directory. He can then ring you.
This won't work if you are ex Directory though.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1036464)   #124
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Not sure there is a 'prize' as such, other than to say you were the winner.
Following the opening credits of Formula Woman, VBH appears in pit-lane of Oulton Park.

"This is the grid for the Green Flag British Touring Car Championship, the most exciting saloon car racing in Britain, and they are about to go hammer and tongs round this Oulton Park circuit. But, there is one thing missing, women.
Surely there are women out there who can take on the men and beat them.
Well, that's the idea behind Formula Woman. Find some novice women drivers, give them a one-make series to find a champion, and then pitch her into the melee of the touring cars to see if she can mix it with the men."

It does not mention Mazda entering touring cars but it does infer a prize of a drive in the BTCC.

Last edited by carrera; 14 Jul 2004 at 15:04.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1036468)   #125
Derek Legge
Rookie

I have spoken to Sam and my posts should be up again when he has had the chance to check there authenticity.