Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Sep 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2285057)   #101
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks andy_b. that is my corolla at Spa. Its almost back together.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 06:08 (Ref:2286242)   #102
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The CHMS post was published on Speedhunters the other week. No info, that you guys didn't already know, but a larger version of the black and white pic.
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...uring-car.aspx

If your interested, I have a larger version of it, but its b&w
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2286312)   #103
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had that picture on my bedroom wall back in the day as well... great photo. It was either a colour centre spread in Autosport, or one of the pull-out posters.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2286368)   #104
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah!! I had something similar up on one of my walls too!

BTW, I've still got to dig out that John Nielsen TT pic as well so I can scan and post it on here!! If I recall there's one or two oher cars around it like a Jag and a smart looking Bosch liveried Golf.

OT for a second; I used to divide my 3 bedroom walls into posters for Group A, F1 and F3000/F3!!! I also had a 'centrespread' width section to the right of a book shelf and anything I fancied went on there like Group B/A rally cars, Group C, prodsaloons and anything else!!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2286453)   #105
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a teenager I divided my bedroom walls up for posters as well... motor racing on one side and women on the other ! To appreciate the nostalgia, I suggested to my missus that we decorate the walls of our house in a similar manner and having been released from hospital in the last few days, I'm recovering well from my injuries
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2286460)   #106
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hahahah!!

Yes me and my missus have had a few discussions and then she's picked me up off the floor, agreed who'd pay for what etc.....
Old 16 Oct 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2313998)   #107
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Bit disappointing but the old pic I thought I had of the John Nielsen Castrol car only features it behind the Jag and the Golf!!

Here it is anyway:

parc ferme '84 TT
Attached Thumbnails
Jag, Golf Corolla TT 84.jpg  
Old 17 Oct 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2314570)   #108
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Bit disappointing but the old pic I thought I had of the John Nielsen Castrol car only features it behind the Jag and the Golf!!

Here it is anyway:

parc ferme '84 TT
Actually that's quite an interesting pic, as it shows the Corolla loaded up on the trailer- these days, even at the back of the grid it would probably be a 12-metre artic and a big motorhome rather than a Merc van and a trailer...

Going a bit off-topic, the other interesting thing is that Golf.... (another shot, on track: http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-09-068.jpg )
The Mk2 Golf was always a rare bird in the ETCC as it was heavier than the Mk1 and the 1.8 engine (still in 8-valve form) put it into Class 2 against the 2.5 litre Alfas etc.
Apart from the RAS cars (The Bosch-backed car in '84, one in 'Monroe' colours in '85, and a 'Drakkar Noir'-backed car appeared at Zolder '85:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-29-054.jpg -I wonder if these were all the same car?) about the only other I can think of is Alan Minshaw's 'Demon Tweeks' car which appeared at the TT.

It only really came into it's own as a touring car in 16-valve form when the BTCC added the 1.6 to-2-litre class around 1987/8- and then of course Vauxhall turned up soon after with the 2-litre 16v Astra.....

Last edited by KA; 17 Oct 2008 at 10:07.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2314578)   #109
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a lot of Golfs in Production Saloons then and I think "Mable" Minshaws might have been a Group N one as he was in Prod Saloons in it in '86.
Funnily enough I don't remember any Corollas in Prod Saloons though, strange, I'm sure there must have been but I can only think of Astras, Novas, Stradas and Golfs in the smaller classes.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2314579)   #110
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks KA

That Bosch livery was certainly striking and when I was little my 'toy car' Group A racing team featured that same livery although 'I' didn't run Golf's but big class entries!!! Er herm....

Anyway back to topic, nice point you make about the trailers - quite nostalgic seeing an international entry with a trailer as you say. The only chance we get to see International entries like that these days is dummy or spare cars being rushed about to a meeting or a test or something!!!
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2314581)   #111
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
There were a lot of Golfs in Production Saloons then and I think "Mable" Minshaws might have been a Group N one as he was in Prod Saloons in it in '86.
Funnily enough I don't remember any Corollas in Prod Saloons though, strange, I'm sure there must have been but I can only think of Astras, Novas, Stradas and Golfs in the smaller classes.
Minshaw's was a Group A car, and he originally ran one late season in 1984 in 8v guise, it disappeared and may have been the same car albeit with a 16 valve engine installed when he returned to BTCC full time in 1988?

No there weren't many prodsaloon Corollas but Sean Brown ran one (to class title honours in '85 IIRC?) along with the likes of Terry Stone and Ray Calcutt.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2314589)   #112
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Minshaw's was a Group A car, and he originally ran one late season in 1984 in 8v guise, it disappeared and may have been the same car albeit with a 16 valve engine installed when he returned to BTCC full time in 1988?

No there weren't many prodsaloon Corollas but Sean Brown ran one (to class title honours in '85 IIRC?) along with the likes of Terry Stone and Ray Calcutt.
I remember the Minshaw Golfs being discussed on one of the Golf GTI enthusiast forums and I think the consensus of opinion might have been 2 Group A cars and a couple of prodsaloons- An ex-Minshaw Group A car was apparently alive and well and still competing in sprints and hillclimbs in Scotland a couple of years back
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2314593)   #113
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
I'm trying to remember what the class split was in prodsaloons- was it 1.8 or 2-litres? Either way, I think it put the Corolla up against bigger-engined (1.8 litre 8v Astra and Golf, 2-litre Strada) opposition. The Pug 205GTI appeared as well, but I don't think anyone ever had that much success with one apart from Kieth Odor taking the class one year in the Janspeed 205
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2314595)   #114
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, that's right I think? I was trying to think of what Sean Brown was up against myself!

I think that in '85 it was upto 1300; 1301 -2000; 2001 - 2500 and then 2501- 4000 or something like that?

I recall Brown often battling with Karl Jones' Ritmo, but I'm not entirely sure they were in the same class.

If it was in a 1300-2000 class then they would've been?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2314601)   #115
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd forgotten about Sean Brown in the FAI car and I think the Pugs were a bit later (along with the Hondas).
I can't remember the split either, as some of it was age/engine type as well as size related (hence the 3.0 Monza in class B in '86).
Dad ran three Stradas, one for Karl, one for Eric Cook and a spare; great little cars but a bit OT now!!
Old 19 Oct 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2315690)   #116
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
and the relevance of VW Golfs in a toyota thread is????????????????
Old 19 Oct 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2315716)   #117
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
I've comnfirmed that pic of the Bob Holden Sprinter at Spa is my car.

I'm still chasing pics of my AE82 front wheel drive Corolla that I believe raced at Spa 88-89. does anyone have any other links I can hunt thru??
Old 19 Oct 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2316117)   #118
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
and the relevance of VW Golfs in a toyota thread is????????????????

Well you know, it had the misfortune of being a damn fine liveried car in a pic that the Corolla was in!!
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2317290)   #119
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there's enough posts here about Golfs to warrant splitting them off into their own thread. Mods???
Old 21 Oct 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2317593)   #120
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Well if anyone wants to start one off, I will move the relevant posts, but the thoughts hadn't crossed my mind yet.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2318149)   #121
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Well if anyone wants to start one off, I will move the relevant posts, but the thoughts hadn't crossed my mind yet.
We could give it a go- the BTCC ones shouldn't be too difficult to make sense of, apart from 'where are they now?' The Euro ones might be more of a challenge- as I recall, there were hordes of them until the Corolla began to dominate the 1600 class- and even then the German ETC rounds seemed to bring them out in force...

If we do, maybe we should include the Sciroccos as well?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2342201)   #122
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Not a bad engine at all to use as the template I would've thought!!!

Back to the cars themselves, what was the deal with Tony Dolley and Les Liddiard's FXGT's in 1989. They only appeared for that season in plain white and red colours. Were they new or sourced from elsewhere and why were they so off the pace?

I also recall the Ray Armes driven PG Tips Honda Civic V-Tec coming out late in the season and setting a new benchmark for cars in that class; then MSA adopted Class 2/SuperTouring and a very well sponsored and expensive motor car was instantly obsolete......
Just found a nice clip on YouTube- a bit under 10 minutes of BTCC action from Silverstone in '89. Mainly features a win by Rouse and a couple of entertaining scraps between the RS500s of Jerry Mahony, Karl Jones, and Mike Smith, but also a fair number of 1600 class cars, including the Honda, Crudgington's Corolla and all three of the fwd FX GTs- Dowsett, Dolley and Liddiard.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=esuNEx...eature=related

Last edited by KA; 26 Nov 2008 at 15:43.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2342742)   #123
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm having a bit of a BTCC / ETCC programme clearout, some of which are actually relevant to the topic of this thread.

If anyone is interested, here is the thread in question - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...80#post2342080
Old 5 Jan 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2365536)   #124
KA
Veteran

Spent some time looking at old Autosports over Christmas, and found some interesting Corolla bits, particularly a Tiff Needell track test at the end of '87 comparing the rwd CHMS and fwd TOM'S cars.

It also describes the Oulton BTCC 1 hour race where Tiff and Chris shared both Hodgetts Corollas in the race, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Apparently, Win Percy (otherwise sharing Graham Goode's Sierra) also qualified in the Corollas as a back-up in case the demon pitstop plan (basically, circulate in close company up to the pit stop, pit together and swap cars) went pear-shaped...
Old 5 Jan 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2365974)   #125
Eircamae86
Rookie

Eircamae86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys, Very new to the forum,
Very interesting Post, hope to be active on the site esspecially this particular thread.
This is my car, hopefully some of you kind folks might be able to spread some light on the Team,

Built from a brand new never registered 1983 Corolla GTV Levin.
The car was built by TOMs for Team Chowini in Hong Kong, the car was one of many AE86 in the Chowini Team.
The previous owner fitted the car with an up to date 8 point roll cage which is fully gusseted throughout.
All the original steel panels are in place, and the shell is fitted with lightweight glass.
The car is still in its original works colours, inside is painted metallic graphite grey.
It was intended to be used in the 1986 Macu GP, but the driver didn’t have the funds. So the car was tested and setup but then never used. Mileage on the clock is 17 miles.
Interior
• OMP bucket seat
• Schroth 6 point harness, 3 in belts (Brand new)
• Electric plumbed in fire extinguisher
• Alcantera covered dash board
• Modified steering column
• Quick release steering wheel
• Chowinis leather steering wheel
Engine
• Lightened and balanced throughout
• 40mm Crank
• TRD rods
• Arias forged slipper pistons 11:1cr
• Modified big port head
• TRD big valves & springs
• Underbucket shims
• Camshafts 320 in & 304 ex both 11mm lift
• Standard plenum (re-worked)
• Standard cast ex manifold (re-worked)
• Silicone Samco hoses
• New swirl pot
• New shorter height uprated radiator
• TRD ecu with removable eprom
• Toda chrome alloy lightened flywheel with integral ring gear.
• Reduction gear starter
• Paddle clutch
• Remote oil filter
• Large oil cooler
Suspension
Front

• Rose jointed TRD bottom arms and lateral rod
• TRD 2 ¾ coilover 8 way adjustable struts
• Adjustable top mounts
• Roll center adjusters
• Cusco quick rack
• K-Max uprated anti roll bar
Rear
• TRD rear springs (Light weight stressed versions)
• TRD blue 8 way adjustable dampers
• Std anti roll bar
• Rose jointed trailing arms and panhard rod
Brakes
• AP vented disks on aluminium bells
• AP 4 potcalipers
• Adjustable bias pedal box
• AP short cylinders with remote reservoirs
• Standard disks & calipers on the rear

Transmission

• TRD close ratio gearbox
• TRD quick shift
• 2 – piece propshaft
• TRD 2 way LSD (shimmed to 80%)
• 4.8 cwp
• Small halfshafts
Ive only had this car round the track for a few laps, due to noise restrictions, its an animal!!

A few pics from the Team, the only pics I had of my car died with my last pc

Tags
btcc, chms, chris hodgetts, group a, jtcc, toyota corolla ae86, toyota corolla gt16