Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1412172)   #101
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex
Yes it was reported to 2 senior officials, tho I found out that i should also have informed Echo 61 at the circuit who would have got security to deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, at least i know what to do in future, if i decide to continue being an observer or continue marshalling.
Darrin,

There is a way to deal with these parasites, who are thankfully rare, but irritating nonetheless.

1. Never rise to their bait. You'll find their lack of self control and arrogant temper will ultimately undo them.

2. Disregard any critcism of your performance unless it comes from your Chief Marshal or Clerk of Course, they are the only people at the event who have the authority and information to adequately advise you on your performance.

3. Never be intimidated. It is suprising how much support you'll get if you only stand your ground. No one, anywhere, is indespensible. Even paying spectators, if there is somebody making life miserable for enough people who are actually contributing constructively, eventually the mindless critics will be dispenced with. The nice part is that if you follow tips 1 and 2, the dirty work of the removal of these fools is generally done by somebody else
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1412188)   #102
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: the various niggles about the weekend (not including sinex's experience).
I think it boils down to expectations. I don't regard Goodwood as a motor race. It's a show - a kind of Disney for classic racing car buffs and nostalgia freaks of which I am one. So I thought it was brilliant and I want Laurel & Hardy (because they made people smile) and I want spitfires because they're stunning and make me feel proud. And nearly everyone dresses up. They're not all public school toffs out posing. They're from everywhere at all levels, rich and poor, having a great day where dressing up makes you part of the show. It's a great show - with great racing. As a marshal I felt great to not only be part of the show but also to have contributed to the weekend.
If you amend your expectations of the event, and see it as 'show time', I think you'll love it for what it is, and long may it go on.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1412243)   #103
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbersix is quite correct in his/her comments but the feeling, for us and friends, was that the show element was starting to increase to the detriment of the racing.
My 'ideal' programme might be 2 races - 10/15 minutes display - 2 races - display + car feature for 1.5 hours approx covering a lunch break followed by a repeat of the morning events. When all is said and done the racing must take precedence over anything else.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1412252)   #104
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
numbersix. 100% right. I am old enough to remember seeing most of the cars when they first raced. I do enjoy the cars and seeing them still on track where you can really see the driver at work and not hidden by the body worK. We owe a great deal to those who keep these cars running and the drivers who race them in competition.
They are part of our history and not in a museum but out doing what they do best.
I lived through the blitz and did my National Service in the RAF, therefore the sound and sight of the aircraft does stire the blood. As a marshal I now feel proud not only of being part of making it happen but proud that we can be part of the show.
For those who were upset about those idiots made the comments, please dont let it spoil your weekend, just think of the pleasure it gave to many thousands who would not be seeing it without your efforts.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1412302)   #105
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLoads
Numbersix is quite correct in his/her comments but the feeling, for us and friends, was that the show element was starting to increase to the detriment of the racing.
I tend to agree with this although I also fully understand and support the position Gridlock takes in his subsequent post. I love and enjoy both the cars and the planes but there are certain other aspects of the 'show' (if we must call it that since there is no doubt in my mind that most of the racers are trying pretty hard) which some of us consider unnecessary. And isn't it the very 'show' aspect of the revival that draws the less than savoury element that abused the marshals? In nearly 40 years of watching motor racing, I've never come across that before. This feeling of mine is further enhanced by an unpleasant confrontation that I witnessed between two spectators leaving the circuit in their cars. The language from one of them was absolutely disgraceful and very loud; more the sort of thing I would expect to hear outside a rough pub at closing time. Perhaps, we just have to accept that this is an inevitable consequence of catering for all people rather than just the enthusiasts. Still it does seem to be moving away from Lord March's original objective.

Whatever, I sincerely regret that the marshals were subject to such abuse and I'm sure that they conducted themselves with dignity under such provocation.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1412518)   #106
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another fantastic Goodwood weekend in my book. Really enjoyed it again. Some great racing even though the flow of Sunday was lost with all the incidents and then on track displays. But still think it's by far the best event I attend and have some superb memories to take away..

Expectations of the event is a difficult one - even the first year was unbelieveably great, and it's very difficult to build on that every single year.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1412541)   #107
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BIG THANK YOU to all the Pits/Startline marshals for the excellent "joined up"team work over the three days.Having to deal with such things as bands ,road bikes,racing bikes, poodles(in the Chrysler parade)models,real Police,pretend Police,Peers of the Realm,Knights of the Realm,road menders,starters,non starters,oil leaks,water leaks,red flags, green flags,chequred flags,winners cars,loosers cars,cars that made a noise,cars that didn't and get the grids and pit stops in order,with no dramas.THATS TEAMWORK.
Well done all.Same again next year?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1412630)   #108
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi marshal type people,

Posted this in the racers forum already, but just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the marshals at Goodwood.

This year was my first year at the revival as a competitor (Fordwater trophy in my Alfa Giulietta SZ), and I had one of the best weekend's racing of my life!!

My wife, who isn't usually given to notice or comment on such things, remarked on how friendly all the marshals were. The perfect example was when we stood by the back pit wall to watch the TT race. My wife thought the marshal was coming up to tell her off for standing too close to the track, but the (female) marshal actually came up to say sorry that the wall was a bit dirty, but if my wife wanted to borrow the marshal's jacket to site on, she was welcome! my wife was truly chuffed!!

Every other steward or marshal either went out of their way to help or be friendly, usually with a smile.

Although I was towards the rear of the field in my race (although I beat the other two Alfas which was what mattered to me!), I made a point of waving at every single marshals' post on the slowing down lap.

Thanks, guys (ang gals!)!!!

James W
P.S. As i posted in the other forum, I thought there were too many drunk corporate types about, who weren't there to watch the racing, merely to get p*ssed and pose. Still, I guess it's the sponsors money that paid for most of the drivers hospitality and party, so can't really complain!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1412865)   #109
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyed my first Goodwood Revival, despite the arctic conditions on post 5 on the Friday! The racing, particularly on Saturday, was excellent.

I agree for the most part with numbersix - the Revival is as much about the nostalgia and atmosphere as it is about the racing. The air displays were great, and the little touches like Laurel & Hardy were great fun - shame we didn't see too much over our side.

I haven't got any complaints, just some 'opportunities for improvement'. Firstly, why can't all marshals be handed out white probans for the event? We stick out like a sore thumb in orange and you kind of feel out of place in amongst the rest of the period costumes. Since they had to be returned at the end of the meeting anyway, would it really be such a big expense, when they can re-use them the next year? Even the casual staff selling nuts and drinks behind us had white overalls, so I did feel a bit disappointed. Secondly, is there any chance we could have a better dispersal of toilets around the campsite? Marshals turning up on the Friday and Saturday mornings were all being directed to the far end, as far away from the facilities as you could get. Bl***y long walk to the loos on very cold nights! Just some portaloos dotted around would have been a bonus. And lastly, when we're already running behind time, why do we need 8 tediously slow laps of Jackie Stewart's cars or a handful of Chryslers? Everybody had seen them by the 3rd lap, did they really need to continue?
Just my two penneth

Looking forward to next year. Hopefully get a post nearer all the action next year so I can feel more part of it.

Oh, and did anyone get a picture of the almighty dust cloud at Fordwater in the penultimate race? It was scary seeing all those cars disappearing into the cloud and wondering which direction they would be pointing in when they emerged! The fact they all came through unscathed was more luck than judgement I think!

Thanks to everyone on post 5 for their company all weekend,

Phill
Old 21 Sep 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1412983)   #110
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Longest drive home?

Who drove the longest distance from home then?
I'll start the ball rolling with 6hrs - Stockport - Goodwood. If the locations on our postings are anything to go by, most of us were south of sunny Birmingham.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1413276)   #111
Pitlane Eddie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Pitlane Eddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Nick
It was good to work with you again, even though you were kept busy on the 'podium'. Hope that you had a relatively stress free time, and I'll see you again next year, same time??? same channel, if not before. Was the Champagne good? (Couldn't have any as I was driving home afterwards.)
Pit 'garages' 3-4.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1413349)   #112
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got home last night after ten days at Goodwood helping make it all work for you.
Eight days of fourteen hours, but worth every minute.
Have noted the bits you didn't like and will point them at the people that need to know.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1413451)   #113
digger
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire U.K
digger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent Sunday on the bank behind post 3 where i should've been marshaling - stroke put paid to that, bought a friend who sprint races at the circuit but has never attended a meeting there - he loved it.
Never heard of spectators getting abusive before, but leave them alone and they'll burn out, tell them its for their OWN safety, then leave them on their own.
The revival is expensive, for those that pay, but they can all afford it.
I enjoyed my day, and hope to see some of you next year - wherever i am.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1413710)   #114
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Digger - we hope that you improve in health.
'The revival is expensive, for those that pay, but they can all afford it.'
The visit cost us over £700 and as pensioners that is quite alot of money even with a good pension. This goes some way to explaining my original message. Hopefully Lord March and the organisers will listen to some of the many suggestions made on this thread and others and make it better. Mind you the revived Silverstone Classic looks interesting if one accepts the less than attractive background whilst Oulton Park might be a thought ???????
We shall start the saving now and, hopefully, return.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1413857)   #115
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
This may be going off thread and could go into a number of others but Floads comments and several others I have made me think. Once the useful days of marshaling or race officials comes to an end, what is left? There must be a number of our ranks past and present who have given great service but can no longer continue for many reasons. How about the clubs / circuits giving past official free access to meetings. Of course there would need to be criteria set, such as age and length of being involved etc. Just a thought?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1414289)   #116
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FYI
Sunday 25th - ITV1 - 1430 - Goodwood Revival.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1414324)   #117
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
Hi
This may be going off thread and could go into a number of others but Floads comments and several others I have made me think. Once the useful days of marshaling or race officials comes to an end, what is left? There must be a number of our ranks past and present who have given great service but can no longer continue for many reasons. How about the clubs / circuits giving past official free access to meetings. Of course there would need to be criteria set, such as age and length of being involved etc. Just a thought?
Sounds very good to me Les, but circuits giving something to marshals???????
(OK I know some do)
Old 22 Sep 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1414335)   #118
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown
Brian Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
Who drove the longest distance from home then?
I'll start the ball rolling with 6hrs - Stockport - Goodwood. If the locations on our postings are anything to go by, most of us were south of sunny Birmingham.
Just down the road, try getting from Northern Ireland,
Sorry, back here its known as (Norn Iron ).

But any way i had a ball on post 5 with pipsqueak and all the crew there!
Not a car was touched all three days, untill the last but one race on sunday.
Who dropped the driveshaft on the track and caused mayhem, OUCH????
a very big bill for a few drivers.
Yes i agree with Phill, the J.Stewart parade was a little lonnnnng winded.
as for the Chryslers Parade, what was the point of putting the top models in cars on the right hand side (in-field) when no one could see them
Old 22 Sep 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1414340)   #119
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mac
as for the Chryslers Parade, what was the point of putting the top models in cars on the right hand side (in-field) when no one could see them
I was lucky to see them lining up for parade.
Let me tell you VERY nice!!