Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2647818)   #101
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Picture showing the size of the Wider front tires on the RSR, there HUGE!

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...y_Jour2_01.jpg
Old 9 Mar 2010, 00:34 (Ref:2647843)   #102
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
GT2 in LMS won't be much behind GT2 in ALMS.
Schnitzer didn't start out that well. I sure hope they get their acts into it or else ACO and BMW will be a bit embarrassed that the 'new' team poked out Rahal and then couldn't handle it. Early jitters though. I think they'll eventually get there. Do we know if the Schnitzer BMW and Rahal's BMW are based on the same cars? I'd guess both are tweaked differently by each team, also taking into account the type of circuits in each championship.
I don't get your statement or your question. Schnitzer and Rahal-Letterman are both contracted by BMW to run their GT2 cars in separate series. Nobody poked out anyone else, so to speak, and furthermore it is Schnitzer with the far longer and more illustrious history racing BMWs.

The cars are definitely 'based on the same cars' as they are all GT2 M3s as built by BMW Motorsport. I believe the engine specs will be slightly different if they are running to different restrictors under IMSA vs. ACO rules, as last year the IMSA cars were given very generous ones at some points during the season. You would not really want to run the same mapping options on engines with different restrictor sizes.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2647858)   #103
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I don't get your statement or your question. Schnitzer and Rahal-Letterman are both contracted by BMW to run their GT2 cars in separate series. Nobody poked out anyone else, so to speak, and furthermore it is Schnitzer with the far longer and more illustrious history racing BMWs.

The cars are definitely 'based on the same cars' as they are all GT2 M3s as built by BMW Motorsport. I believe the engine specs will be slightly different if they are running to different restrictors under IMSA vs. ACO rules, as last year the IMSA cars were given very generous ones at some points during the season. You would not really want to run the same mapping options on engines with different restrictor sizes.
Well as to Le Mans, at this point, it sure seems that Schnitzer poked out RLR for entries when RLR has a full year running this car, Rahal has a long history with BMW, and is quite an accomplished race team also. But that is not on Schnitzer and we do not know the full lineup yet, so....

In the ALMS all of GT-2 is to run to ACO spec, except the Doran Ford, according to IMSA Comp. Bulletin #10-01.

Lets hope the malady was something abnormal and not indicitive of the engine's performance with this mapping.

L.P.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2647873)   #104
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, for all the sessions it ran, the Schnitzer BMW was the fastest GT2 in the speed trap. At the other end, I'd be a little worried if I was JMW, and consistently at the slow end down the straight in the Aston.

What car exactly is Bruichladdich running? They were the other crew with a P2 car topping 280km/h.

Whatever Rebellion is doing with those Judds, it's not showing in the top end, at least not yet. Signature Plus looks to have the legs on everybody down the straight so far.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2647879)   #105
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
BTW, what were the top speeds for the other classes?
They are all available on the LMS website.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2647896)   #106
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I got that sorted out from the link Bentley posted.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 04:05 (Ref:2647909)   #107
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Well as to Le Mans, at this point, it sure seems that Schnitzer poked out RLR for entries when RLR has a full year running this car, Rahal has a long history with BMW, and is quite an accomplished race team also. But that is not on Schnitzer and we do not know the full lineup yet, so....

In the ALMS all of GT-2 is to run to ACO spec, except the Doran Ford, according to IMSA Comp. Bulletin #10-01.

Lets hope the malady was something abnormal and not indicitive of the engine's performance with this mapping.

L.P.
Tom Milner made a comment at some point about having tossed his name into the hat for Le Mans, implying that driver lineups would be drawn from both sides of the Atlantic, at least in theory. It doesn't surprise me that Schnitzer is the chosen team though, with its European infrastructure. Some may see it as a snub, I guess, but I can't really say I follow that.

I'm still waiting for DSC's promised piece on the engine issue from Charly Lamm...maybe we will know more then. If the ALMS cars have been running to the same spec and mapping, though, then it can't be a systemic problem given their performance at Sebring during the test days.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2647962)   #108
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say, when I first saw the pics of the Rebellion testing a few weeks ago, I wasn't that big a fan of their new lviery. Now though, I'm a fan! It looks amazing! That's 3 years in a row for me where Speedy/Sebah (Rebellion) have created 3 fantastic liveries. Particularly liked the silver/red, sliver/blue colours of last year.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2647966)   #109
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schnitzer has a very long history running BMW cars succesfully, as both works and privateer team, reaching way back down into the 60s.
To me it seems rather logic that BMW uses the rich knowledge base of Schnitzer, very similar to the Audi & Joest connection.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2647979)   #110
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Schnitzer has a very long history running BMW cars succesfully, as both works and privateer team, reaching way back down into the 60s.
To me it seems rather logic that BMW uses the rich knowledge base of Schnitzer, very similar to the Audi & Joest connection.
There's no doubting Schnitzer's pedigree, but if this is a really serious effort, I can't help wondering why insufficient resources/spares weren't made available and taken to Ricard to cover all eventualities? Is this a BMW oversight or a Schnitzer one? Why no spare car?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2648019)   #111
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question noone asked here is: Was the BMW an LMS spec car or the test car
Old 9 Mar 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2648030)   #112
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Question noone asked here is: Was the BMW an LMS spec car or the test car
Ok.........

Was the BMW an LMS spec car or the test car?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2648065)   #113
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apologies if this has already been answered, but why isn't Oreca's pug the quickest? Are they just getting used to it still, or is it a characteristic of Ricard?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2648090)   #114
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
apologies if this has already been answered, but why isn't Oreca's pug the quickest? Are they just getting used to it still, or is it a characteristic of Ricard?
They're just getting used to it, plus the weather conditions may have also played a part.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2648127)   #115
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
AMR have 2 entries for Le Mans , so they need another 3 drivers .

Davidson is gone to Pug , Turner to JMW , Enge and Kox to Fischer .

Whos left ?

How about Wendlinger and Herbert ?
Turner was the first driver named on the LM entry list for one of the AMR cars, so IIRC can't be changed unless AMR can convince the ACO it's a case of 'force majeure'. With that in mind, I'd expect he'll do the LMS races in the GT2 car, and Le Mans for AMR....

Given Westbrook's apparent contractual issue, I wonder who's likely to get the 3rd seat at JMW for Le Mans?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2648133)   #116
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
What car exactly is Bruichladdich running? They were the other crew with a P2 car topping 280km/h.

Zytek, so possibly not too much of a surprise to see them strong on straight-line speed given that ASM were well up at the top end of the chart
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2648157)   #117
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure you guys are reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into what happened for Schnitzer at the test. First off, the BMW in ALMS GT2 had a 25 kilo weight break last year but otherwise met all other regulations.

Secondly, no one pushed out RLR from Le Mans. All the info that I have gathered was that RLR wasn't even thinking about Le Mans without BMW (and sponsors) funding it. Schnitzer works out for everyone involved, they are already based over there so it is cheaper for all parties, they are a German outfit that is accustomed to fielding factory BMW efforts and they have a good endurance racing pedigree. The majority of races RLR prepares for are sprint races. Who would you pick if you had budgetary constraints? It seems clear to me.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2648177)   #118
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I think some of you fail to see that Schnitzer is in fact BMW Motorsport.

They´re not just another-works backed team like RLR but BMW's main works team so they´re hardly on the same level when it comes to support and influence in BMW's motorsport activities.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2648198)   #119
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if it has been posted before:
Last year there were two different types of "Lola Aston Martin". The works team had a different front aero, and the swiss team had the old lola coupe nose.
Signature has what it looks to be a last year works car.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2648215)   #120
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Given Westbrook's apparent contractual issue, I wonder who's likely to get the 3rd seat at JMW for Le Mans?
Who's to say Westbrook wont still be with JMW for Le Mans, he wont be with Prospeed for Le Mans they have already announced there lineup and it is all paying gentlemen drivers.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2648220)   #121
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Sorry if it has been posted before:
Last year there were two different types of "Lola Aston Martin". The works team had a different front aero, and the swiss team had the old lola coupe nose.
Signature has what it looks to be a last year works car.
Last year Speedy Sebah ran the Lola B08 60 Aston Martin

Signature are running one of last years work Lola B09 60 Aston Martins or AMR1-2 whatever you want to call it.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2648241)   #122
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I think some of you fail to see that Schnitzer is in fact BMW Motorsport.

They´re not just another-works backed team like RLR but BMW's main works team so they´re hardly on the same level when it comes to support and influence in BMW's motorsport activities.
Although it will seem that I am disagreeing with you I am not. Schnitzer is as much "BMW Motorsport" as RLR or Champion and Joest have been with Audi in the past. In other words, they are fully backed and endorsed "factory" teams that are still independently owned. I don't think Schnitzer enjoys any more factory backing at this point than RLR does. It speaks volumes that BMW even chose RLR for the development year for the GT2 car. It also makes it very apparent that BMW intends to have "factory" teams in NA and Europe. I wouldn't be surprised to see one in Asia soon too.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2648244)   #123
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Speedy ran B08-60s and the LMP1 had the Aston V12, this year Rebellion have B10-80s with Rebellion badged Judd V10s. See the bodyside differences to highlight this.
Signature+ have a Lola-Aston Martin run by the Gulf Aston team last year. So it has the Aston grille up front, and subtly different aero front and rear. The current Gulf Lola-Aston is the same shape, but maybe with a few more Prodrive 'tweaks'...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2648319)   #124
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
RLR didn't develop the new M3, Schnitzer did.

They did all the testing before the car even was first shipped to the US. And the sole reason Schnitzer wasn't choosen to run the car in the US it that they were busy with WTCC last year, this year they aren't.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2648351)   #125
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
.Signature+ have a Lola-Aston Martin run by the Gulf Aston team last year. So it has the Aston grille up front, and subtly different aero front and rear. The current Gulf Lola-Aston is the same shape, but maybe with a few more Prodrive 'tweaks'...
And hopefully the same glorious engine note