Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jun 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2714903)   #101
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Slow burn for me.

M20 to tunnel was surprisingly absent of Le Mans bound exotica, as was the crossing itself - a lot quieter than in previous years (as was whole event according to my wholly unscientific observations) and then I cheated by taking non-peages down to Condeau, which although in east striking distance of Le Mans, is out of the usual English route. From lovely hotel on Weds night over to Le Mans on Thursday did skip out a lot of the traditional LM related excitement builders, such as the previously mentioned brown sign - this was the first year we missed out on them.

Combine all this with the downpour on Thurs afternoon, when we had a momentary 'water in the people tank' moment all postponed a lot of the excitement. First time the really big involuntary smile crept across face thinking 'this is it' was probably at about 2300 on Thurs, standing at the apex of Tertre Rouge, glass of wine in hand, and hearing one of the Aston Martins go past sounding like a Spitfire (Supermarine rather than Triumph just to be clear) looking all John Wyer. At that point everything else fell away and I was sure I was at Le Mans.

Worth waiting for, roll on Silverstone.

Last edited by isynge; 20 Jun 2010 at 00:27. Reason: grammar
Old 20 Jun 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2714964)   #102
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too many goosebump moments to mention in one go but this year was very emotional for me for the main reason being, my Father.
He has never been and the moment we came to the top of the Mulsanne as it starts just out of Tetre Rouge, he turned to me and said he was glad I knew where we were as he didnt have a clue, I simply said to look around and see. Indescribable emotion, just to say its hard to drive with tears in the eyes. tears of joy, for a promise long held and finally realised.
Truely one of the most treasured moments in my life to date.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2714966)   #103
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice one Justin
Old 20 Jun 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2714987)   #104
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Plenty of usual moments passing well known signs and seeing familiar places on the way down, but that amazing moment when having arrived at the tertre rouge enterance I got out of the car to purchase a ticket to be greeted by the sight and sound of a group C rothmans jag. Like the car I was back were I wanted to be and I could not stop myself from giving a muted "yes" that perhaps puzzled those around.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2715252)   #105
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a first timer my special moment came a lot sooner than expected. I drove down from Leeds to London on the Wednesday night, and on the M1 somewhere in the midlands passed a camper van with Gulf stripes over the top of it, number 007 and a big picture of Steve McQueen on the back, and a map of the circuit stuck on the side.
Well done, that man!
Old 21 Jun 2010, 01:37 (Ref:2715441)   #106
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
For me, it's that period when I've found my place up in the stand... right up to the point when the cars leave on that final reconnaissance lap. That period, for me, is gold dust. In a rather silly way, I almost (I did say almost...) regret the race having started!
I had a lot of "goosebump" moments on this, my first trip to Le Mans and I especially had this feeling at the start. I got a thrill on Friday too, just from my first glimpse of the empty stands along the start-finish straight. Here are a couple photos.

Old 21 Jun 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2715475)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From the angle of the first shot Bob, you must have been sitting not all that far away from Bentley03 and our other mate Tony......?
Old 21 Jun 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2715515)   #108
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
opening the door to the TGV at 7:24 AM on Wednesday and stepping on Le Mans soil ..
and especially the first time I hear the "Destination Antares"

Ciao Marco
Old 21 Jun 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2715690)   #109
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From the angle of the first shot Bob, you must have been sitting not all that far away from Bentley03 and our other mate Tony......?
I was in Tribune number 16, "Sommer."

Here are more photos and a link to the rest of them:

24 Hours of Le Mans Photo Gallery

Another "goosebumps" moment, thanks to the "Jett Girls"

Old 21 Jun 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2715925)   #110
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I had my annual 'anti-goosebumps' moment today. Back to work for the first time after my Le Mans 'holiday'.....
Old 21 Jun 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2715933)   #111
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
I can feel with you .For me it was also the first Day on Work after Le Mans and the Eifelrennen on the Nürburgring .
Old 21 Jun 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2715936)   #112
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
damn .. I missed the Jett Girls
first day at work was also the day I resigned .. new job in 2 weeks

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Jun 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2716135)   #113
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gorgeous orange McLaren pictured, had a sublime Ferrari F40 parked behind it in Arnage town, when we drove through Sunday morning, fever !

Almost a Goosebumps moment, was opening Autosport on Thursday, flicking straight to the Le Mans report and just about seeing us under the podium waiting for the Champers to be sprayed !

Wish we could go back and do it all again .
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2716262)   #114
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post
The gorgeous orange McLaren pictured, had a sublime Ferrari F40 parked behind it in Arnage town, when we drove through Sunday morning, fever !
That's right, they were together. Here's my shot of the F40 with the McLaren. Seeing these two cars for the first time in my life was also a goosebumps moment for me.

Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2716425)   #115
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only at Le Mans eh !
Old 22 Jun 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2716505)   #116
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post

Almost a Goosebumps moment, was opening Autosport on Thursday.... .

Sadly not for me. It just left me wishing Le Mans still received the detailed coverage it used to get back in the Group C days......
Old 22 Jun 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2716528)   #117
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly not for me. It just left me wishing Le Mans still received the detailed coverage it used to get back in the Group C days......
How much more coverage did you want?

Live Timing and Twitter feed from Drivers/Teams/Everybody else: http://thomasbaekdal.com/mini-sites/lemans2010/

Live commentary: www.radiolemans.com
Relive the entire commentary from the start of first practice through to the presentations on Sunday afternoon by subscribing to the Radiolemans podcast

Fantastic coverage of the race on Dailysportscar.com (subscription required)

You would have had fantastic coverage of the finish of the race, had Peugeot not been sponsoring the TV feed!! I think they must have taken their toys home with them...
Old 22 Jun 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2716549)   #118
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I think Ayse was wanting something hardcopy in his hand while trackside, not what internet feeds are available (which if you are not there is the next best thing now). I tried using some of these feeds while marshalling in France and my phone bill is now 4 times it's normal monthly amount!!!!

The little booklet from Autosport doesn't match what was produced yearly back in the past, which is what we are lamenting.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2716904)   #119
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
I had some special Goosebump Moments this Year .Was on Thursday for a few Hours in the Group C paddock ,and just between 2 Jag V12 when they make the Engine Warm Up .On Friday are many People in the Pit Lane ,and I was one of the happy People who was invited to the Pit Visit .Than on Saturday for my first Meeting with very nice 10 tenths Members .Tuesday after Le Mans the Visit to Bryan Wingfields new Team Location in The Normandie .A lot of Things are in my Memories until the next Years Race ,and hopefully longer .
Old 23 Jun 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2716936)   #120
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I had my annual 'anti-goosebumps' moment today. Back to work for the first time after my Le Mans 'holiday'.....
Cheer up!

Only fifty weeks to go
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2716961)   #121
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
How much more coverage did you want?

Live Timing and Twitter feed from Drivers/Teams/Everybody else: http://thomasbaekdal.com/mini-sites/lemans2010/

Live commentary: www.radiolemans.com
Relive the entire commentary from the start of first practice through to the presentations on Sunday afternoon by subscribing to the Radiolemans podcast

Fantastic coverage of the race on Dailysportscar.com (subscription required)

You would have had fantastic coverage of the finish of the race, had Peugeot not been sponsoring the TV feed!! I think they must have taken their toys home with them...
How much coverage? Well, proper reporting coverage by Autosport. I wasn't talking about RLM, twitter, DSC or anything else. I know I dwell in the Middle Ages, but I'd like to see a report of the world's greatest sports car race which at least emulates the coverage given to an hour and a half GP - which extends to a substantial number of pages, with detailed explanations of the race for each car - or at least those of major importance, not just a thumbnail sketch of the race overall and brief (and not terribly detailed) thumbnails of each class.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2716963)   #122
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
I think Ayse was wanting something hardcopy in his hand while trackside, not what internet feeds are available (which if you are not there is the next best thing now). I tried using some of these feeds while marshalling in France and my phone bill is now 4 times it's normal monthly amount!!!!

The little booklet from Autosport doesn't match what was produced yearly back in the past, which is what we are lamenting.
Steve, I was actually lamenting the long past demise of the full race report in Autosport, but you're right, I don't have a high opinion of the dinky little offering we now get by way of preview. In fact, I can say that although I have a copy, I haven't had the inclination to read it.

But we digress.....
Old 23 Jun 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2717134)   #123
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans 2008. My only visit, to date. Life does not get better!
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0300.jpg   CIMG0298.jpg  
Old 24 Jun 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2717230)   #124
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Steve, I was actually lamenting the long past demise of the full race report in Autosport, but you're right, I don't have a high opinion of the dinky little offering we now get by way of preview. In fact, I can say that although I have a copy, I haven't had the inclination to read it.
I didn't even have the inclination to buy it.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2717272)   #125
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Le Mans 2008. My only visit, to date. Life does not get better!
Nice pics - I dont suppose you have the picture in the middle of that pair do you? Then i could point myself out!! I would have been in Stand 19 (one to the left of ACO as you are looking at it from Pitlane)