Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jun 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4160028)   #101
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I thought this too. The way he went in R1 and R2 I thought he would probably win R3, but he made zero progress, which was a surprise.
Probably sandbagging to make Rowbottom/Focus look good
Old 5 Jun 2023, 14:42 (Ref:4160032)   #102
mick bennett
Rookie

England
mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or simply not risking damaging the car for a couple of points. Simply not worth it.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 16:44 (Ref:4160069)   #103
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'm not convinced on the Sutton sandbagging agreement. To me it makes no sense.

If the team were worried about adding more fuel to fire that they should be pegged back, would one race really make enough difference to swing the argument in either direction. TOCA already have more than enough data to make a decision, one more race isn't going to change that.

Going into race 3, Sutton was just 17 points ahead of Ingram. That's the sort of lead that could very easily disappear over a race weekend, or even over a single race. Would he really risk potentially losing the title over a couple of points simply because he didn't try hard enough at one race.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 17:15 (Ref:4160087)   #104
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something I came across earlier was that Ricky Collard was given a "formal written reprimand" yesterday for "excessive weaving on the way to the grid for race 3".

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ky-Collard.pdf
Old 5 Jun 2023, 17:19 (Ref:4160088)   #105
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Something I came across earlier was that Ricky Collard was given a "formal written reprimand" yesterday for "excessive weaving on the way to the grid for race 3".

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ky-Collard.pdf
Must be a conspiracy against him again… I don’t think I’ve ever gone from being so excited for a driver to get a seat to being so sick of them so quickly
Old 5 Jun 2023, 17:41 (Ref:4160092)   #106
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Must be a conspiracy against him again… I don’t think I’ve ever gone from being so excited for a driver to get a seat to being so sick of them so quickly
Yes, he is undoubtedly quick, and over one lap he does seem the fastest Toyota this year, but perhaps should take inspiration from the calm and consistent (and I think reprimand-less) Butcher who is 27 points ahead of him.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4160109)   #107
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not referring to any specific driver, but I must admit that for the last few years I have wondered about the extent of the weaving on non-racing green laps and when behind a safety car. I always thought that there were rules on weaving, and I thought that they were permitted to only weave on the middle half of the track.

It seems sometimes that some of the drivers use up to 80 to 90 percent of the track surface when weaving. I'm just surprised that it has only just come to the notice of race directors and/or clerks of the course.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 21:30 (Ref:4160137)   #108
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not the BTCC, but the old Lambo Super Trofeo race director specifically banned weaving on the out lap to form up on the grid after one of them very rudely interrupted my lunchtime cup of tea by chucking itself at the opposing barrier at Silverstone. The driver came hurtling down the Wellington Straight, diving from side to side and eventually dropped it going under the bridge. Neither me nor my oppo saw it because we were in the hut.

Total right off, tub cracked, driver taken to hospital. For the rest of that season their grid laps were far more sedate!
Old 6 Jun 2023, 06:39 (Ref:4160167)   #109
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Don't want to see Sutton/NAPA pegged back, and there's no cause to do that, but I'd like to see the RWD cars have their restrictions removed.
I posted similar in the Snetterton thread previously, with a look at how the 2nd and 3rd placed cars have scored. In that context, the BMW is now looking like the strongest car in the field:
Attached Thumbnails
Car Performance.png  
Old 6 Jun 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4160176)   #110
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I posted similar in the Snetterton thread previously, with a look at how the 2nd and 3rd placed cars have scored. In that context, the BMW is now looking like the strongest car in the field:
And there is the rub its not NAPA'S fault that they have stepped the game up and meanwhile others are making suspect tyre choices, crashing into each other and blowing up engines....
Old 6 Jun 2023, 11:52 (Ref:4160200)   #111
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor902 View Post
Absolutely huge crash in the mini challenge trophy due to pathetic tyre stacks at the chicane. Disgusting that they still insist on using them
https://youtu.be/kqwx1V-xrUE

Footage of that crash. Scary. Not sure what the NAPA car was thinking…
Old 6 Jun 2023, 12:23 (Ref:4160202)   #112
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't want to be a tabloid type person, but driver psychology does interest me a bit.
I've been to all the races and the media day this year and have noticed that Colin Turkington hasn't had his wife there.
From the point of view that she's part of Team Turks as a sports trainer making sure his day runs to a timetable - making sure that all he needs his head for is racing because everything else is sorted for him.
It's a big change. I wonder if it is a choice designed to try and up is competitiveness? After the last few years of not quite being where he wants is it an attempt to tackle things from a different angle I wonder?
Old 6 Jun 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4160205)   #113
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://youtu.be/kqwx1V-xrUE

Footage of that crash. Scary. Not sure what the NAPA car was thinking…

In defence of Callum Eason, his view of Hickton's car was blocked by Rhys Hurd coming across in front of him to take to the grass in avoidance. When Hurd dived left, he had nowhere to go.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4160207)   #114
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
I've been to all the races and the media day this year and have noticed that Colin Turkington hasn't had his wife there.
From the point of view that she's part of Team Turks as a sports trainer making sure his day runs to a timetable - making sure that all he needs his head for is racing because everything else is sorted for him.
It's a big change. I wonder if it is a choice designed to try and up is competitiveness? After the last few years of not quite being where he wants is it an attempt to tackle things from a different angle I wonder?
He explained in interview recently that it is because her focus is on their son's motorsport career first. Lewis is competing in the Junior category of the National Autograss Championships and Louise is supporting his entry.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:27 (Ref:4160230)   #115
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh I can relate so much. He's gone down to the bottom of my "liked drivers" list very very quickly while only a few months ago I felt gutted he's 'retiring'....
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4160234)   #116
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I still like Collard, but maybe it wasn't a great idea to come back. Maybe he needs to find another series to show his talent
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:43 (Ref:4160236)   #117
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I think Ricky Collard has been a great addition to the grid. He is a particularly exciting driver and that battle with Ash Sutton at the end in Brands Hatch was the best piece of racing all season. And it is good to have some interesting characters on the grid as well. And he has been very good this year, arguably as good as Rory Butcher but unlucky to be behind him in the points and certainly better than George Gamble.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4160244)   #118
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
He explained in interview recently that it is because her focus is on their son's motorsport career first. Lewis is competing in the Junior category of the National Autograss Championships and Louise is supporting his entry.
That's good to hear.
Autograss is a biggie in my house!
Old 6 Jun 2023, 17:27 (Ref:4160260)   #119
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I think Ricky Collard has been a great addition to the grid. He is a particularly exciting driver and that battle with Ash Sutton at the end in Brands Hatch was the best piece of racing all season. And it is good to have some interesting characters on the grid as well. And he has been very good this year, arguably as good as Rory Butcher but unlucky to be behind him in the points and certainly better than George Gamble.
Well actually I'm really disappointed with Gamble. He was great last year and doesn't seem to go so well in the Toyota. Perhaps he needs a bit more time.
As for Collard, yeah, he's good but in my opinion too hot-headed for success, at least for now.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4160270)   #120
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
As for Collard, yeah, he's good but in my opinion too hot-headed for success, at least for now.

Funnily enough, I think the same about both him and also Hill. I think that they are both far too aggressive and in both cases they do seem to take liberties with track liberties. And that means to me that they are on the extreme edge of car control.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 05:12 (Ref:4160637)   #121
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Listening to him talk recently, it seems like he might benefit from a sports psychologist. He admitted that the track limits issue was still playing on his mind in subsequent events, and it has resulted in a few in-car moments that have compromised him from being fully committed.

If you also add in question marks around temperament, and some form of additional help would seem a sensible option.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 05:46 (Ref:4160641)   #122
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do think Ricky's hot headed approach is hindering more than helping him. His Dad also had a hot headed approach, but he could make it work for him, even if it also sometimes got him in hot water. But Ricky really needs to take it down a notch or two, as it seems to be affecting his driving and isn't exactly making friends with this. Yes I do think sports psychologist would be probably be a good move for him
Old 8 Jun 2023, 07:28 (Ref:4160650)   #123
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Unfortunately the illness where you think you’re so much better than you actually are is far from rare in motor racing. It’s hard to cure.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4160695)   #124
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post

The solution is to bring back success ballast, but for qualifying and race two only.
Or have a reverse grid in race 2 and then again in race 3?
Old 8 Jun 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4160723)   #125
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Or have a reverse grid in race 2 and then again in race 3?
Or the others could put there backs into it - just a thought

Last edited by billy bleach; 8 Jun 2023 at 14:09.