Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jun 2007, 06:41 (Ref:1938155)   #101
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carter
If thats a subtle way of saying the rights should have never left Ten then I'm with you Racer....

I think theres a bigger picture again other than whether Cochrane should or shouldnt go. I'm not a fan of the guy nor his partner in crime Erskine - its purely business and return from investment to both of them nothing to do with motor sport. For all the good that V8 Supercars has done for motor sport in this country - the money it has collectively sucked out of the sport has done damage in general to the rest of the sport - if that makes sense.
Yes, it makes complete sense ... and the rest of the sport provides better racing as well!
Old 16 Jun 2007, 16:55 (Ref:1938697)   #102
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
His tantrums where he has thrown threats at the WA Government didnt concern you 6 years ago ?
Not at the time, no.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1939089)   #103
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cochrane has done nothing good for Australian motorsport. The word maggot springs to mind.

He has put all of your motorsport eggs in one basket and left it in a blind alley (if you can keep track of the mixed metaphors)

There is nothing at the top level in Australian motorsport outside V8 Supercars - apart from the once a year visit by the Grand Prix circus which doesn't really count given it's run from Europe and Australia merely pays a fee to get a visit. Worth mentioning that winning the top Australian open wheeler formula is hardly an open door to F1? Lucky to get a big enough field to fill the podium apparently.

V8 Supercars relies on the support of the manufacturers and more specifically the continued production of Commodores and Falcons. It's a closed shop to other manufacturers and models. That's fine as long as Ford Australia can continue making Falcons but that's starting to look very very shaky.

So currently we have the much touted "World Class Formula" at a bit of a dead end and the very real risk of imploding leaving a vacum in Australian motorsport. Nature always fills a vacum but at least Australia might get to see some real racing but the "World Class" tag might have to be eaten as humble pie. "World Class Collapse of a Formula" perhaps?

What I saw of Tony Cochrane last year was outrageous - he's a clown -first he gave everyone a good spray because Auckland got told they couldn't close down streets for a street race AND grizzle about their traffic woes to the rest of New Zealand. South of the Bombay Hills we all knew the idea was dead in the water...if Tony Cochrane was an astute businessman he would too.

Then he gave Wellington a good spray because they looked at the idea of a street race (with previous experience) and flagged the idea before burying vast sums of money it it. Personally I would have loved to see a return of race cars to Wellington but it was not to be. Que sera sera.

Then when Hamilton came to his party way down the track he conveniently forgot about the Manfield proposal that had been there all along (and would have benefitted all NZ motorsport with an upgraded track and facilities) and gave the rest of New Zealand a spray for not sharing the vision of Hamilton folk. Big deal. Couldn't he be happy he got his way, thank Hamilton graciously and eff off quietly without the vitriol?

Chances are I'll be at Hamilton but Wellington or Manfield would have been easier to get to for us Mexicans south of the border.

All opinions are my own biased, one-eyed, ill-advised, uninformed efforts so no need to remind me.

Last edited by mctshirt; 16 Jun 2007 at 21:58.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1939833)   #104
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see Mr Mckay pulling no punches in todays Sun Herald.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1939846)   #105
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I think he summed up the situation and possible scenario quite well.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 01:26 (Ref:1940405)   #106
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Good to see Mr Mckay pulling no punches in todays Sun Herald.
He's never been afraid to call it as he sees it.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1940419)   #107
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the article online anywhere?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 08:50 (Ref:1941432)   #108
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever it's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.I won't be satisfied until SS Supercar sinks to the watery depths and nature fills the vacuum ( mctshirt inspired me to mix more metaphors). There was a time when being a motorsport fan in Australia did not automatically mean people would assume you drank a lot of VB,smoked Winnie Blues and were on probation.

Tony Cockroach is the very model of a modern major painintheass,but that is 2007 for you.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1941437)   #109
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! A handful of metaphors and a generalised stereotype in one post! You're the man, johnny!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1941486)   #110
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd disagree to the extent of he forced though a lot of necessary changes for the sport and many of course would have rathered it stayed a bush league, backwoods sport rather than a professional, world class racing series
Agreed Totally, unfortunately too many on this board still think we need to "go back to the future"
Quote:
He's never been afraid to call it as he sees it.
Seeing Peter Mackay never did like Tony Cochrane, that was no surprise. Then again there are as many people who cannot stand Peter Mackay.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 19 Jun 2007 at 09:51.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1941493)   #111
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
There was a time when being a motorsport fan in Australia did not automatically mean people would assume you drank a lot of VB,smoked Winnie Blues and were on probation.
"Motorsport Fans" is a pretty generic term and includes quite a few people from all types of racing not just road racing. That stereotype never existed.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1941499)   #112
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Agreed Totally, unfortunately too many on this board still think we need to "go back to the future"

Seeing Peter Mackay never did like Tony Cochrane, that was no surprise. Then again there are as many people who cannot stand Peter Mackay.
I dont think its liking or not liking the individual, its their actions that cause the concern.

I think those who dont stand for Peter McKays actions would be a minority.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1941514)   #113
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Robert Ryan That stereotype never existed.[/QUOTE]

whether or not you like, or agree, with it, it certainly exists - particularly among the mainstream (and gets reinforced every time they show the boys at Bathurst, or the girls at Indy ).
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1941519)   #114
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
whether or not you like, or agree, with it, it certainly exists - particularly among the mainstream (and gets reinforced every time they show the boys at Bathurst, or the girls at Indy ).
ABS..the Australian Bureau of Statistics in one of its latest surveys, has Motorsport listed as No.4 as far as spectator attendance, as sports go in Australia I really do not think that stereotype exists for the general public. Maybe for a few narrow minded and out of touch journalists and TV producers.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 19 Jun 2007 at 10:30.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1941526)   #115
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think its liking or not liking the individual, its their actions that cause the concern
It is a dislike for the Individual in this case.
Quote:
I think those who dont stand for Peter McKays actions would be a minority.
Seeing Mr Mackay has been spurned by more than one fellow journalist and commentators over the years, more like majority.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1941535)   #116
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The day Cochrane said 'bathurst is all about Ford vs Holden', completely ignoring
all other makes and classes that ever raced or contributed to history at the mountain was the day I stopped caring frankly about the V8 Magazine Series.

With Cochrane gone and Ford saying the series has a shelf life, it can all only be good.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1941538)   #117
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
It is a dislike for the Individual in this case.
Sure Robert.

Its got nothing to do with the actions of VESA towards other inside and outside the motorsport industry.

Surely if anyone made anything personal it was VESA banning Mr Mckay from v8 events, one that didnt go down well with the teams.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1941557)   #118
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Quote:
I know that Mr Mackay after talking to him, has a grudge against certain individuals at V8Supercar, from whatever reason, who knows.
I dont believe its a grudge at all on P Mckays part - in all the commentary Ive read over time its always been a balanced article - I think in some instances P McKay has made calls that are not to the liking of V8SA and certain individuals in that operation took it personally - ie how dare you criticise what we're doing we're V8SA the be all and end all of Australian motor sport. In all honesty and Ive said it before - for all the good V8Supercars has done for the sport here in Australia they have sucked out so much cash from the arena that its hurt the general motor sport scene in this country.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1941572)   #119
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I dont believe its a grudge at all on P Mckays part - in all the commentary Ive read over time its always been a balanced article
Well there have been a lot of very unbalanced articles by Mr Mackay, not just about V8Supercar. Mr Mackay was angry about certain Individuals in V8Supercar. So anything like that is going to cloud your judgement.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1941576)   #120
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
V8Supercars has done for the sport here in Australia they have sucked out so much cash from the arena that its hurt the general motor sport scene in this country.
"Motorsport Scene"..you mean roadracing? Other forms of Motorsport are starting to boom in australia.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:17 (Ref:1941586)   #121
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Quote:
Well there have been a lot of very unbalanced articles by Mr Mackay, not just about V8Supercar. Mr Mackay was angry about certain Individuals in V8Supercar. So anything like that is going to cloud your judgement.
Who's judgement P McKays or mine??
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1941587)   #122
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Quote:
"Motorsport Scene"..you mean roadracing? Other forms of Motorsport are starting to boom in australia.
I mean circuit events in general - yes there are a number of forms of the sport that are booming.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1941588)   #123
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Who's judgement P McKays or mine??
His. Anyone who has some sort of bias, is not going to write a balanced article or have a balanced opinion
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1941590)   #124
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I mean circuit events in general - yes there are a number of forms of the sport that are booming.
The money is out there..but Circuit Racing is being over looked. I guess "pimping a formula Vee ride" or "ground pounding Formula Fords" does not sound right.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1941592)   #125
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Quote:
His. Anyone who has some sort of bias, is not going to write a balanced article or have a balanced opinion
Yes but I dont see if a journalist has a certain point of view and expresses that how can that be biased - its just a point of view being expressed against a certain set of circumstances and in P McKays situation I always get the opinion that its a well grounded criticism or viewpoint not one that comes from malice or a grudge - just my opinion.