Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3150187)   #101
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Just listening to Will Hagon on ABC radio right now. He reminded me of something I saw on the weekend. Tony sitting next to Skaife on the previous winner's parade. There you go right there! It's not about the sport. It's all about him! What an absolute, classless spanner! A parade for the previous winner's, and he plonked himself in the middle of it! He will suffer relevance deprivation next year.
One of the more annoying displays of the man's arrogance is the way he puts himself in the centre of the driver's photo at Adelaide each year.Not even Bernie would ever consider getting in the F1 drivers photo.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3150189)   #102
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Really?

Really?

Keen to see some measures of effectiveness to support this.

Really?
I hope when you read this post above, you are embarrased. you have added nothing to the discusion

But i can be as vague also

Yes

Yes
Keen to see some measures of ineffectiveness to support this

Yes
Old 11 Oct 2012, 23:34 (Ref:3150191)   #103
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
One of the more annoying displays of the man's arrogance is the way he puts himself in the centre of the driver's photo at Adelaide each year.Not even Bernie would ever consider getting in the F1 drivers photo.
if thats the best annoying thing that you can come up with. then really there is nothing annoying about him
Old 12 Oct 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3150222)   #104
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Really?

Keen to see some measures of effectiveness to support this.

keen to see some measures of effectiveness on how you don't think it is.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3150223)   #105
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I can see further than most men, for I stand on the shoulders of giants." I remember this being told to me by a clever business man years ago, and TC has been a shining example of this way of thinking. He had a plan, surrounded himself with the right people, thus extinguishing any potential weaknesses in his own management style, and the "team" dragged V8 supercars, kisking and screaming, into the 21st century. He may have rubbed people the wrong way, but I am also sure that he has sacrificed a lot, personally, to see the category reach the status it has. Good luck to you TC . . . you deserve to step back and smell the roses for a while
Old 12 Oct 2012, 03:06 (Ref:3150230)   #106
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33
keen to see some measures of effectiveness on how you don't think it is.
I am not suggesting it is or isnt the greatest motorsport in the world - but anyone can make such a statement - I am keen to hear why you think it is this
Old 12 Oct 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3150272)   #107
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
like him, hate him, love him?...The guy single handedly (ok with some help) made this Category into the best racing Series and the Number 1 Touring car Championship on the planet!

kudos to TC, you da bomb diggity!
to Australians it is "the best racing Series and the Number 1 Touring car Championship on the planet!"

ask the Americans and they will say NASCAR is the best, ask the Germans and they will say DTM is, ask the English and they will say BTCC is

in a modern world where the planet has never been smaller, touring car racing is more 'regional-ised' than ever
Old 12 Oct 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3150275)   #108
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
to Australians it is "the best racing Series and the Number 1 Touring car Championship on the planet!"

ask the Americans and they will say NASCAR is the best, ask the Germans and they will say DTM is, ask the English and they will say BTCC is

in a modern world where the planet has never been smaller, touring car racing is more 'regional-ised' than ever
Not really. we race in the USA, we race on Europe's door step and the Europeans wont let us race in Europe

They dont Race n Australia or on our door step, so clearly our series is less localised
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3150348)   #109
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Forgot about that one! Yeah, serious attention seeking issues there Can you imagine the scene at Bathurst? "No Glenn! I don't care if you've been mates with Skaifey for decades. I don't care if you're a double ATCC champ, which is not as good as saying you're a V8SC champ, by the way. You were never a Bathurst champion, You can't go on the parade!!!" Then Cocho jumps on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasjames671;3150223Good luck to you TC . . . [B
you deserve to step back and smell the roses for a while[/B]
The question is, does he want to step back?

Quote:

No they wouldn't.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 13:52 (Ref:3150425)   #110
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I am not suggesting it is or isnt the greatest motorsport in the world - but anyone can make such a statement - I am keen to hear why you think it is this
what's your favourite ice-cream flavour, I too am keen to hear why you like it, and don't like others.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3150429)   #111
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:

not only us Aussies, but the kiwi's too think the V8SC are the bestest Racing Series in the whole wide world. true story
Even Americans are losing interest in NASCAR, V8 viewers from the US were around 200k for the B1000 last year (didnt even get much promotion) pretty good compared to what they had the year before that, and wanna know why they didn't show it on Speed this year? pretty obvious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Not really. we race in the USA, we race on Europe's door step and the Europeans wont let us race in Europe

They dont Race n Australia or on our door step, so clearly our series is less localised
yeah that, why dont they let them race in Europe? What better region to race that in Europe, they like their motoracing. bit of an understatement. but if it'd go there, people will realise theres more to Touring Cars then DTM.
Hockenheim is the best fit, love that track.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3150576)   #112
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

yeah that, why dont they let them race in Europe?
Something to do with the FIA. Something about not being able to race in more than 3 continents or similar. I think that's to count for points. They could go over there for an exhibition race. I don't know the exact details.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3151527)   #113
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Something to do with the FIA. Something about not being able to race in more than 3 continents or similar. I think that's to count for points. They could go over there for an exhibition race. I don't know the exact details.
The wording is in the documentation on the FIA website. There is some interesting wording in there, for example, the presence of four vehicle manufacturers is one of the major pre-conditions for a series to progress to a World Championship. Racing on at least three continents is also a major pre-condition.

The current regulations of V8 Supercar are a curious mix of national and international competition. For example, Jacques Villeneuve's ineligibility for championship points for example suggests the series is running under the regulations of a national championship rather than international, yet the national championship regs preclude the running of more than one event away from the championship's host nation and nations with neighbouring borders (some of which can be maritime so New Zealand is considered a neighbouring country).

To be honest racing in Europe is problematic for a number of reasons, but cost is the biggest one.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3151531)   #114
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

The majority of people making such claims almost always state that NASCAR is a stock car series, not a touring car series. But none of those claim makers have ever defined whats a touring car and whats a stock car.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3151547)   #115
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
if thats the best annoying thing that you can come up with. then really there is nothing annoying about him
Actually I'm with Alan on this one (and anyone who's read this thread will know I've backed TC's legacy).

Putting an administrator in the middle of the driver photo is a joke. There is no spotlight he won't throw himself in front of.

And no - that is far from the most annoying thing about him. He has often lacked class, grace, empathy or dignity. But overall, he has done a good job.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3151548)   #116
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
The wording is in the documentation on the FIA website. There is some interesting wording in there, for example, the presence of four vehicle manufacturers is one of the major pre-conditions for a series to progress to a World Championship. Racing on at least three continents is also a major pre-condition.

The current regulations of V8 Supercar are a curious mix of national and international competition. For example, Jacques Villeneuve's ineligibility for championship points for example suggests the series is running under the regulations of a national championship rather than international, yet the national championship regs preclude the running of more than one event away from the championship's host nation and nations with neighbouring borders (some of which can be maritime so New Zealand is considered a neighbouring country).

To be honest racing in Europe is problematic for a number of reasons, but cost is the biggest one.
Put simply - there's a line on the map that the FIA says V8s can't go past. Europe is past that line - so they can't go there.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3151557)   #117
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Put simply - there's a line on the map that the FIA says V8s can't go past. Europe is past that line - so they can't go there.
Not because its Europe though, because VESA decided to go other places. South America (and Africa) is theoretically off limits for the same reason, although VESA is talking South America. So if South America is possible, then so is Europe, but VESA can twin a South American race with Texas, but not Europe. So that makes it a cost issue.

I wonder why not Canada? The wouldn't create a fourth continent issue that Brazil might.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3151567)   #118
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even Americans are losing interest in NASCAR, V8 viewers from the US were around 200k for the B1000 last year (didnt even get much promotion) pretty good compared to what they had the year before that, and wanna know why they didn't show it on Speed this year? pretty obvious..
It wasn't shown on Speed in the USA because that channel is closing at the end of this year

NASCAR popularity worldwide still far outweighs V8Supercars

Quote:
but if it'd go there, people will realise theres more to Touring Cars then DTM.
why are you assuming that Europeans don't think there is anything more to touring cars than DTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The majority of people making such claims almost always state that NASCAR is a stock car series, not a touring car series. But none of those claim makers have ever defined whats a touring car and whats a stock car.
15 odd years ago there was a definate difference between a touring car and a stock car

In 2013, if V8Supercars want to get away with being called a touring car category, NASCAR has just as much right to be claimed as a touring car as well.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3151576)   #119
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
In 2013, if V8Supercars want to get away with being called a touring car category, NASCAR has just as much right to be claimed as a touring car as well.
But nobody calls NASCAR a touring car series and nobody calls V8 Supercar a stock car series. That probably better makes the point I was trying to make.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3151767)   #120
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Not because its Europe though, because VESA decided to go other places. South America (and Africa) is theoretically off limits for the same reason, although VESA is talking South America. So if South America is possible, then so is Europe, but VESA can twin a South American race with Texas, but not Europe. So that makes it a cost issue.

I wonder why not Canada? The wouldn't create a fourth continent issue that Brazil might.
When VESA renewed their FIA international series status it was announced by VESA and commented on quite a bit that one of the conditions was not racing "East of Istanbul" or similar wording.

The FIA website you've been looking at provides the core outlines of what is a national series, international series etc. and what that means. Bear in mind though that is only a guide (as with most FIA items) and that each international series tends to have an agreed individual set of operating conditions with the FIA.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3151988)   #121
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
When VESA renewed their FIA international series status it was announced by VESA and commented on quite a bit that one of the conditions was not racing "East of Istanbul" or similar wording.

The FIA website you've been looking at provides the core outlines of what is a national series, international series etc. and what that means. Bear in mind though that is only a guide (as with most FIA items) and that each international series tends to have an agreed individual set of operating conditions with the FIA.
Well that's prusemably so they don't have Touring Car series of International status operating against each other, looking specifically at DTM.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 06:01 (Ref:3152004)   #122
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
It wasn't shown on Speed in the USA because that channel is closing at the end of this year

NASCAR popularity worldwide still far outweighs V8Supercars

why are you assuming that Europeans don't think there is anything more to touring cars than DTM?
gee whiz how did you come to that conclusion?? V8 Supercars Series punches above it weight compared to other forms of racing. and if Aus was as big as America, it'd leave NASCAR for Dust.

maybe cause of the fact that they get little coverage of the V8's, not alot of people in Europe have even heard of this Series let alone see a tiny highlights reel of a round on MotorsTV.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3152010)   #123
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
gee whiz how did you come to that conclusion?? V8 Supercars Series punches above it weight compared to other forms of racing. and if Aus was as big as America, it'd leave NASCAR for Dust.

maybe cause of the fact that they get little coverage of the V8's, not alot of people in Europe have even heard of this Series let alone see a tiny highlights reel of a round on MotorsTV.
Australia isn't as big as America and never will be. Using that as a basis for an opinion is ridiculous. Wishful thinking isn't going to improve V8 Supercars stature. You might as well ask for parade laps to be led by Unicorns, Griffins and Orcs.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 06:45 (Ref:3152013)   #124
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Australia isn't as big as America and never will be. Using that as a basis for an opinion is ridiculous. Wishful thinking isn't going to improve V8 Supercars stature. You might as well ask for parade laps to be led by Unicorns, Griffins and Orcs.
yeah its true but it was my opinion, and nothing wrong with dreaming aye, and some of my dreams have come true, it sometimes is a reliable basis in a way.

The V8's dont need to improve right now and they have a winning formula which is why they are so successful. and Tony Cochrane did his job, and thought that someone else can take care of it all lol, and get bagged out even though they'll have made good/bad calls. its all business for the bigger guys but for us fans they deliver a car race, which is why we keep coming back, and wish for it to keep going.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3152079)   #125
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The V8's dont need to improve right now and they have a winning formula which is why they are so successful.
I couldnt agree anymore