Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Nov 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1769659)   #101
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that statement but we were discussing European races of which he will have "some" impact which we will have to see how will it translate in tickets sold and viewership.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1769683)   #102
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether you like him or not, or respect him or not, he is a known quantity and OW fans will tune in to see how he performs. Not so much in the States obviously; but with international audiences? I think definitely.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1769727)   #103
kootje
Rookie

Netherlands
Apeldoorn , Holland
kootje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Orange Army...

Your be supriced where they popup,if you see at the A1 season 2005/2006 on almost every circuit there are Dutchmen(or women) dressed in Orange offcourse Just to see the combination Jos and Team Ned.

I'm sure that Assen wil be Orange!(if Champcar wil go there)and for the matter Jos is still populair even after the A1 saga....

Grtz Kootje,who thinks that Jos wil be an Great Champcar driver!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1769764)   #104
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never minded Jos at one time, but he is his own worst enemy and frankly have gotten tired of him. He's had many, many chances all of which go sour and I just think there are many better drivers out there who deserve a chance now.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1769765)   #105
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Dutch would turn out to see any Dutch driver driving in CCWS at Assen, whether it was Jos or not. Obviously Jos would be the bigger draw but still......

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1769902)   #106
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
I think the Dutch would turn out to see any Dutch driver driving in CCWS at Assen, whether it was Jos or not. Obviously Jos would be the bigger draw but still......
Exactly, Champcar in Europe is a real treat, people just go because they know it aint everyday.

If it was at a good track i would be going too, unfortunetly however, Zolder is just going to be another snore-fest, like Brand Hatch Indy was few years ago (and even that race was a sell-out)

Champcar management just cant pick the right tracks in Europe can they? Lausits.. flying overseas from the land of ovalracing to race on just another oval .. not too wise in my book, Brand Hatch, fab track, but picking the Indy version of it where even FRenaults are struggling to overtake, huge misstake, and now Zolder.. i've never seen a half-decent race from there in my life, again, thanks to its caracteristic (if i can use that word in reference to Zolder at all) its only good for domestic junior racing, the 3.5 litre WS cars literaly could not overtake, so what shall I expect from Champcars... but.. i just figured its another thread.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1769910)   #107
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
back to josthetoss, Zolder will be a sell-out with or without him (and Im sure one way or antoher Heylen will do that race and his Belgian so...) But the bottom line is, jos is NEVER going to race for Stoddart again, never. His comments on Minardi in the dutch press were insulting bad, he called them unprofessional bunch of good for nothing people and so on.

Plus, when he left, he convienced Trust to go with him, other dutch sponsors were happy to stay Minardi, but Trust CEO is a personal good friend of Jos and started talks with Jordan as soon as the season ended, as a result Jos could test the Jordan ONCE, and the Trust logo appeared on EJ13'a rear-views for the rest of the season.

Jos might be an ex-Minardi guy, but same category as Yoong and Marques, Stoddarts had a row with each and everyone of them, therefor they are in a no-no category as far as this very champcar seat concerned, really and trully the candidates are: Lienders, Baumgartner and Friesacher (the latter two have the same manager btw)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1770059)   #108
overflow
Racer

overflow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nado
Hope it's Newman/Haas so Briscoe can crap all over Bourdais and get revenge for Power.

No way will Briscoe be chased by top teams......according to the experts he has had too many chances & can't drive!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1770456)   #109
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Rime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
back to josthetoss, Zolder will be a sell-out with or without him (and Im sure one way or antoher Heylen will do that race and his Belgian so...) But the bottom line is, jos is NEVER going to race for Stoddart again, never.

Jos might be an ex-Minardi guy, but same category as Yoong and Marques, Stoddarts had a row with each and everyone of them, therefor they are in a no-no category as far as this very champcar seat concerned, really and trully the candidates are: Lienders, Baumgartner and Friesacher (the latter two have the same manager btw)
You're so wrong... First of all Verstappen is favorite for the second seat according to Harry Muermans (who will be co-owner of Minardi). Second Verstappen and Stoddart are still pretty close. Third Verstappen beated Wilson at Minardi and De la Rosa at Arrows and was equal to drivers like Barrichello. So to put him in the same category as Yoong and Marques is a mistake.

Besides that Verstappen is the only way to sell out Assen, the Dutchies don't know that much about drivers like Pastorelli and Zwolsman, Jos on the other hand is still really popular in the Netherlands (he sold out Zandvoort in 3 days).
Old 20 Nov 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1770504)   #110
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by overflow
No way will Briscoe be chased by top teams......according to the experts he has had too many chances & can't drive!
These experts being.......

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 20 Nov 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1770559)   #111
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Champcar management just cant pick the right tracks in Europe can they? Lausits.. flying overseas from the land of ovalracing to race on just another oval .. not too wise in my book, ...
Actually it makes a lot of sense imho. We have so many roadraces over here it's rather refreshing seeing openwheelers on an oval once in a while. I do miss the Eurospeedway, it's a great venue for Champcar.

As to Jos: isn't he like 54 years old now? How come everybody is still talking about him?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1770735)   #112
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos Verstappen was born in 1972... and his first start in F1 was back in 1994...
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1770751)   #113
f-lot
Rookie

f-lot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
back to josthetoss, Zolder will be a sell-out with or without him (and Im sure one way or antoher Heylen will do that race and his Belgian so...)
I doubt it, Champcar isn't well known nor popular in the Netherlands, and neither are the Dutch drivers Zwolsman and Pastorelli. I wouldn't know about Heylen in Belgium.

Quote:
But the bottom line is, jos is NEVER going to race for Stoddart again, never. His comments on Minardi in the dutch press were insulting bad, he called them unprofessional bunch of good for nothing people and so on.
Where did you read that? I know he said he would never drive for Minardi again, but AFAIK he always maintained the people were good, just that the team would always be a backmarker. (mostly a budget issue, not about the people)

Quote:
Plus, when he left, he convienced Trust to go with him, other dutch sponsors were happy to stay Minardi, but Trust CEO is a personal good friend of Jos and started talks with Jordan as soon as the season ended, as a result Jos could test the Jordan ONCE, and the Trust logo appeared on EJ13'a rear-views for the rest of the season.
Trust always was a personal sponsor of his, so Stoddart knew that from the beginning. They even had an exlusivity-contract, that's why Trust stopped sponsoring in F1 untill now. The deal was untill 2006. It would be plain silly if Stoddart would be mad because a personal sponsor of a driver left with said driver, especially when contractualy bound to so.

Quote:
Jos might be an ex-Minardi guy, but same category as Yoong and Marques,
I sincerely hope you're not talking about driving capabilities here, because if so you really need to find yourself some clue. Remember that both Verstappen and Wilson raced eachother in Minardis. AFAIK Stoddart and Jos get along fine, I once even read(although I don't know how reliable the source was) that Stoddart was even somewhat of a fan of Verstappen.

Quote:
Stoddarts had a row with each and everyone of them, therefor they are in a no-no category as far as this very champcar seat concerned, really and trully the candidates are: Lienders, Baumgartner and Friesacher (the latter two have the same manager btw)
I'm pretty sure you can add Verstappen and Pastorelli to that list, afterall Muermans is(will be?) a co-owner of the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones you list are one the list also, although I have serious doubts about Baumgartners capabilites as a driver, I think Friesacher is alright (nothing special though), and wouldn't really know about Leinders or Pastorelli.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1770783)   #114
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66
Jos Verstappen was born in 1972... and his first start in F1 was back in 1994...
My point exactly. That's ages ago. No team manager in his right mind would get excited over a 34 years old driver who hasn't really achieved that much in his career.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1770910)   #115
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rime
You're so wrong... First of all Verstappen is favorite for the second seat according to Harry Muermans (who will be co-owner of Minardi). Second Verstappen and Stoddart are still pretty close. Third Verstappen beated Wilson at Minardi and De la Rosa at Arrows and was equal to drivers like Barrichello. So to put him in the same category as Yoong and Marques is a mistake.

Besides that Verstappen is the only way to sell out Assen, the Dutchies don't know that much about drivers like Pastorelli and Zwolsman, Jos on the other hand is still really popular in the Netherlands (he sold out Zandvoort in 3 days).

no, you are completely wrong, Im a forzaminardi.com member, I know everthing about Minardi, i know team-members. jos and Stoddie is anything but close, they did not talk since jos left the team, and there is absolutely no way there are working together again. the rest is just your fantasy.

I did not put him the same category as Yoong or Marques based on his driving abilities, but based on the fact that he , Yoong and Marques all had their battle of words with Stoddie before (if you turn a few pages back, ive already explained those problems, 200k USD in Yoong's case, and a switched off mobile in Marques' case)

As a fact of matter tho, one could be easily forgiven putting Yoong and jos in the same category ability-wise too, Yoong skipped two races in A1GP still outscored Josthetoss who raced the whole season

please get your facts right if you mean to discuss Minardi business with me in the future.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1770916)   #116
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Quote:
no, you are completely wrong, Im a forzaminardi.com member, I know everthing about Minardi, i know team-members.

please get your facts right if you mean to discuss Minardi business with me in the future.
So being a member of Robert-Jan's site makes you an Minardi-expert. I'm a member of that board since 2001 or so, what does that make me?

Please stop posting this crap... Muermans confirmed that the second seat will be for Pastorelli or Verstappen and Paul Stoddart mentioned his name also as one of the main candidates for the second seat, but then again, they are not a member of Forzaminardi...
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1770917)   #117
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-lot

Where did you read that? I know he said he would never drive for Minardi again, but AFAIK he always maintained the people were good, just that the team would always be a backmarker. (mostly a budget issue, not about the people)

Trust always was a personal sponsor of his, so Stoddart knew that from the beginning. They even had an exlusivity-contract, that's why Trust stopped sponsoring in F1 untill now. The deal was untill 2006. It would be plain silly if Stoddart would be mad because a personal sponsor of a driver left with said driver, especially when contractualy bound to so.

thats exactly the problem we often experienced at forzaminardi, especially when josthetoss was around, dutch people posting based on things they read in dutch tabloids and/or their own fantasies. As a fact of a matter, Trust CEO meant to stay with the team beyond jos, but evetually ended up sponsoring our rival, Jordan, a team that jos wasnt the driver of... so go figure .. it was all the result of the Jos VS Stoddie VS dutch media shiznit, Trust kept sponsoring F1 (and obviously they did not care that jos is not driving at all) they just switched teams. To make the story complete the Trust logo still apeared on one of Minardi's truck (and 7 of their cars) for a whole season after jos drove for them, but that sponsorship only applied to the F1x2 program.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1770918)   #118
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Alonzo11 and Rime:

Please attack the post and not the poster.

Both of you should adjust the tones of your posts as well.

I'd prefer to do it this way, as opposed to giving you a warning for it.

If you have a problem with my comments as a moderator, please PM me and we'll hash this out in private.

Tim

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1770919)   #119
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Paul Stoddart mentioned his name also as one of the main candidates for the second seat, but then again, they are not a member of Forzaminardi...
we not taking dutch members for years now... so i wonder who you are. but where exactly did Stoddie mention jos' name again? Do come up with quotes
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1770928)   #120
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
Member no. 81, not posting anymore since Doornbos left the team and all this anti-Stoddart, anti-Verstappen, anti-whatever and Giancarlo Minardi is God crap started...

For a quote you have to read some interviews Stoddart and Muermans did in the Dutch press, dunno if it's on the internet, find it yourself or just wait and see.

But believe me (or not, I don't care) if I tell you that Stoddart, Muermans, Perridon (Trust) and Verstappen are still pretty close to each other and Verstappen is one of the main contenders for the second Minardi-seat.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1770957)   #121
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Member no. 81, not posting anymore since Doornbos left the team and all this anti-Stoddart, anti-Verstappen, anti-whatever and Giancarlo Minardi is God crap started...

For a quote you have to read some interviews Stoddart and Muermans did in the Dutch press, dunno if it's on the internet, find it yourself or just wait and see.

But believe me (or not, I don't care) if I tell you that Stoddart, Muermans, Perridon (Trust) and Verstappen are still pretty close to each other and Verstappen is one of the main contenders for the second Minardi-seat.
yea, but thats just a lie you are desperetly trying to spread in here... jos is not in the picture and Stoddie is about as close to jos as you are to being right or factual

DO COME UP WITH THAT QUOTE that nobody seems to have ever read or just stop spreading lies please
Old 21 Nov 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1771082)   #122
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I had a thought (yeah, yeah, I know). What are the chances that Katherine would get one of the two Minardi drives? Miller says he doesn't know where she will be. She tested for Minardi, and by all accounts they were impressed. Would be interesting to see what she could do there. Just a thought.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 01:27 (Ref:1771091)   #123
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, Alonso11 and Rime, as Tim has pointed out, you're both "on the edge", so hold back a litlte please. I can't believe to see Jos in CC, for the simple reason that he would not want to take his family to the US and you simply can't succeed without doing that. Nevertheless, be assured that both Assen and Zolder would be a complete sell out if Jos would be racing there in CC. I don't think any team owner, be it Stoddy or who ever, holds anything against Verstappen, but his manager can't be very popular among team managers. There's always a point that it's time to stop talking about money and start to deliver and Verstappen, although being a very talented driver, simply did not deliver what was expected from him. Case closed, I'd say.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1771313)   #124
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
OK, Alonso11 and Rime, as Tim has pointed out, you're both "on the edge", so hold back a litlte please. I can't believe to see Jos in CC, for the simple reason that he would not want to take his family to the US and you simply can't succeed without doing that. Nevertheless, be assured that both Assen and Zolder would be a complete sell out if Jos would be racing there in CC. I don't think any team owner, be it Stoddy or who ever, holds anything against Verstappen, but his manager can't be very popular among team managers. There's always a point that it's time to stop talking about money and start to deliver and Verstappen, although being a very talented driver, simply did not deliver what was expected from him. Case closed, I'd say.
Yea it makes more sense than Rime's lies, and sorry about the post, i mean i did really a trully attack the post and never the poster, however i appreciate it might have interfered with the generaly friendly atmosphere.

It's just that you know what jos fans do winter by winter, there is nothing new, they always spread crazy rumours about how close jos is to this and that, in fact jos did push hard getting a seat at Champcar two years ago, he even went to St.Petersbourgh for a test, Rime and co, did literaly confirm he signed a race-deal, but it just never happend. do you think jos just realized he has family here? i dont think so, he would race in Champcars, he just cant make it happen, precisely because of the facts you are pointing out, he and his manager are very hard to deal with, teams that arent in a huge need of money avoid them in the first place, and teams that are, well they just cant agree with them eventually. the other reason is that jos is pretty much a failure, i would say a have-been, but he has never really been (altho he did drive a few good races in the late 90s)

The thing is, Rime and co would easily confirm same time around in 2004 that jos SIGNED the deal with Jordan (do browse the forum, you will literally find threads with million posts about it) and now they, for some reason doing this with Champcars, in reality tho, and that is 100% reliable information, Stoddie just never going to work with jos again.. fact. So we can completely forget about this whole non-sense
Old 21 Nov 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1771416)   #125
Rime
Rookie

Vatican City State
So, calling me a liar is not attacking the poster in you're opinion?

Back on topic: Please post the url where Stoddart states he won't be working with Verstappen again in the future. Which would be strange because Stoddart used to be a big fan (since Tyrrel '97) of Verstappen and even invited him to take part in a Minardi 2-seater event in Misano in 2004.

About the Verstappen to Champcar episode: Harry Muermans (former Minardi-sponsor, co-owner of Stoddarts Airline OzJet and the Stoddart/Muermans/Minardi Champcar-team) told in a interview with the printed magazine Formule 1/Race report that Jan Heylen is almost certain of a seat in his team and that the other seat will go to either Nicky Pastorelli or Jos Verstappen who both are willing to drive in the CCWS.

As far as my knowledge goes, in the end Muermans (and not Paul Stoddart) will decide who drives for Minardi in the CCWS. Case closed.