Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2209044)   #101
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red flag, thanks to Alonso.

He's better even at crashing the car compared to Piquet.
Old 22 May 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2209046)   #102
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm loving every minute watching the arrogant little sod struggle! Daddy can buy you lots of things but unfortunately for poor little Nelson ability isn't one of them!
Old 22 May 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2209068)   #103
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
If they were going to replace him (which I don't think they are, at least not mid-season), are those three drivers really the best options available to them?
They could try and get any of the third drivers I suppose, but Sato and Davidson have the advantage of being (I'm assuming) free agents and can sign straight away and probably desperate to get back in F1 ASAP. Unlike the likes of Liuzzi who might not get out of thier third driver duties.
Old 22 May 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2209071)   #104
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Before we jump straight in though with "he crashed, what an idiot" etc etc, it should be remembered that this is Monaco. The very best crash here and Thursday is the time to do it.

Quote:
I'm loving every minute watching the arrogant little sod struggle!
I get the idea he used to be arrogant, but has realised he hasn't had anything to be arrogant about recently and has calmed that down. Let's be fair.

I personally think he should be given more time. Because I'm not convinced he's quite as bad as people are making out. I suspect that Alonso is doing one heck of a job in that other Renault and it makes Piquet's situation all the graver.
Old 22 May 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2209081)   #105
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we need to start looking for milkmen who resemble Nelsinho.
Old 22 May 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2209089)   #106
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If they were going to replace him (which I don't think they are, at least not mid-season), are those three drivers really the best options available to them?
The free agent nature of the SA drivers is probably quite attractive to them...I'd imagine they could well be interested in getting someone with the development skills of Ant (even with Alonso's technical feedback already being there). I'm surprised not to see Grosjean's name not in that list though.
Old 22 May 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2209101)   #107
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Their test-drivers would be the best option.
Old 22 May 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2209107)   #108
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That gives a choice of Di Grassi, Grosjean and...the inimitable Sakon Yamamoto.
Old 22 May 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2209109)   #109
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Didn't Nelson Snr. have a dislike of racing at Monaco? Was it not he who likened the experience to "trying to ride a bicycle around your sitting room"?
Old 22 May 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2209179)   #110
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly, but Jnr said he likes to race there...
Old 22 May 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2209385)   #111
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They proberbly are unless they can wrestle Michael out of his Ferrari contract What's Ralf upto these days?
Old 22 May 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2209440)   #112
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
What's Ralf upto these days?
Going very slowly in a 'tin top'.Bernd Maylander may feel that his seat in F1 is threatened.
Old 23 May 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2209653)   #113
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I think we need to start looking for milkmen who resemble Nelsinho.

Gold!
Old 23 May 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2209727)   #114
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Blatantly get Sato for the drive

Selby
Old 23 May 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2209850)   #115
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I quite liked Piquet in the later half of Gp2 '06, leading 90 out of 93 laps in two weekends. He has talent no doubt but he seems in over his head. I think Renault's policy of letting their drivers do a season of testing before they get a race seat is not the best strategy. We saw Heikki ragged at the beginning of '07 and we're seeing Piquet struggle as well. Makes one wonder if they're at a competitive disadvantage for not having raced for a year. Admittedly though Renault haven't really had a seat to put their development drivers in from the get go.

Re Grosjean, I have no doubts we'll see him in the car next season, but I don't know if throwing him in to F1 right now would be a good idea. I'd like Taku to get the seat
Old 23 May 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2209880)   #116
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I doubt Grosjean will be asked to race this season. I don't think Sato will be either.

My money's on either Liuzzi or Ant if it happens. Both guys will be keen to show what they can do and whilst the former is still likely to over do it, the latter will be great at helping develop the car I would've thought?
Old 24 May 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2210502)   #117
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am beginning to feel sorry for Piquet to be honest, the pressure he is under must be pretty intense..
Old 24 May 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2210518)   #118
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso should be warned. He clearly hand picked his teammate for this season thinking he will get an easy ride, but Piquet will give him an almighty shock and the toys will be out the pram by Bahrain.
Old 24 May 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2210557)   #119
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yamamoto is merely a 'representative' test driver, there to please some Japanese sponsor presumably, or because Renault/Nissan want to expand in the Japanese market or some such thing. I'm a "never say never" person, but I'm going to make my first potential hat eating decision here on this forum and say that I'll eat it if Yamamoto got to race the Renault. If they want a decent Japanese driver, Sato would do.

I wonder how well di Grassi would go. Has he even had much running this year? If they put him in, I don't think they'd be planning to keep him in the seat for next year (they may have Grosjean in mind for that), so it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense to keep changing drivers.
Old 24 May 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2210559)   #120
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think di Grassi would be pretty solid if given the chance, but not exceptional.

Maybe di Grassi should stick to co-commentating? BBC, were you listening?
Old 24 May 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2210572)   #121
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet has now missed Q1 cut three times. Kovalainen missed it twice in whole season. So, even if Heikki's season didn't start very well, he certainly improved during the season, although other failure was in the last race at Brazil.

Piquet has made also lots of mistakes, but let's see what he can do. In GP2 he at least showed good pace in the wet, especially at Hungaroring 2006.
Old 24 May 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2210577)   #122
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

In fairness, the Renault last year was probably better relative to the opposition than this one is.

Alonso is doing all he can to get into Q3, doing it quite often too.
Old 24 May 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2210703)   #123
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

The difference between Jrn and Alonso in Q1 was 3 tenths , but it knocked the kid out.
Old 24 May 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2210707)   #124
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kovy's first season did set the bar rather high for newcomers at Renault. Despite a "poor start" am I not right in thinking he actually DNF'ed just the once, in Brazil?

Essentially, we're six races into Piquet Jr's career at the top. If six is enough to know, then by all means send him home again. I can appreciate Sato's presence in the marketplace is fuel for the fire - but c'mon chaps, it's early days!
Old 24 May 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2210711)   #125
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's not necessarily that he is performing badly (though he very much is!), it is more that he has shown no improvement.

Any rookie can struggle early on, but if you start from a low point and don't clamber higher after a handful of races, even fleetingly, then you are asking to be fired really. Especially with Mr Angry as your boss!

Kovalainen was quite poor to begin with at Renault, but he had his moments and he also brought the car home.