Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Nov 2007, 06:43 (Ref:2067085)   #101
eelboi
Rookie

Australia
south east queensland
eelboi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
A Townsville race? Thats it? How lame, I thought it'd be bigger than that.

if you are from N.Q. you would probably be pretty happy. i'm no fan of the street tracks, but it is another track and another event in aus, and they should get a full house crowd. it will be interesting to see the track layout. lets hope the organisers can be a bit creative.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2067093)   #102
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
- V8Supercars to expand to 16 rounds in 2009, with a trip to Townsville on the new calendar
See I told you the Powder Room knew what was going on. Well done and thanks for sharing

I have to say well done for Townsville, apart from that phhhhhhhhh (just how do you spell that anyway, you know that sort of gone limp sound)

Can someone please wake me when VESA have something to tell that matches the hype
Old 14 Nov 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2067098)   #103
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I take the view that the $10m of federal government funding wasnt going to be spent on motorsport at all... and that TC seems to have lasooed it for that purpose is actually of benefit to Townsville... and the series...

I am not sure there was too much hype before the announcement, only a small note in MeN suggesting VESA had something to say today... which they did... with Mr Howard's help
Old 14 Nov 2007, 07:55 (Ref:2067104)   #104
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most disappointing announcement from VESA since the news that TC had not gone. I find that crowd more disgusting every day.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2067106)   #105
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how exciting.

finally another event for the fans instead of that boring Eastern Creek place

and even better it upsets the regular TC bashers.

Great for FNQ, great for v8 supercars, is it too early to book tickets
Old 14 Nov 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2067114)   #106
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was worth waiting for, I may have missed something, TC has made the announcement with the help of our current Prime Minister.
Now lets see what has been contributed, $10m Federal Gov, $10m Qld Gov, $22m (correct me if i'm wrong) private enterprise.
TC nil??. Oh my mistake, TC gets a contract of at least $1m plus GST per annum for 5 years with say a 15% rise per year, lets add in 10000 free tickets for VE$A to sell to their corporate clients, chuck in some corporate hospitality tickets, say 500. Yep, that will do for TC's contribution.
Good result for the race fans of FNQ and the people of Townsville, could grow into another Clipsal, hopefully not at the expence of Clipsal or any of the real race circuits onthe current calender.
Grass roots racing starts on permanent race circuits and without these venues to deliver motor sport, local stars will not be born. Without the super taxi circus on their circuits, development of facilities will suffer and some circuits will close the gates.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 08:36 (Ref:2067121)   #107
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grange54
Well that was worth waiting for, I may have missed something, TC has made the announcement with the help of our current Prime Minister.
Now lets see what has been contributed, $10m Federal Gov, $10m Qld Gov, $22m (correct me if i'm wrong) private enterprise.
TC nil??. Oh my mistake, TC gets a contract of at least $1m plus GST per annum for 5 years with say a 15% rise per year, lets add in 10000 free tickets for VE$A to sell to their corporate clients, chuck in some corporate hospitality tickets, say 500. Yep, that will do for TC's contribution.
Good result for the race fans of FNQ and the people of Townsville, could grow into another Clipsal, hopefully not at the expence of Clipsal or any of the real race circuits onthe current calender.
Grass roots racing starts on permanent race circuits and without these venues to deliver motor sport, local stars will not be born. Without the super taxi circus on their circuits, development of facilities will suffer and some circuits will close the gates.
You forgot the part where VESA is the category manager for series other than V8Supercars... oh, thats right.. they arent....
Old 14 Nov 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2067123)   #108
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gee Grange TC wishes V8SA was getting paid 4 million dollars to go to townsville, but they wont be, so cleary he wont be earning 1 million dollars.

v8 supercars dont fit on grassroots racing tracks and really grass roots racing tracks are not long enough either. I doubt they would even get around some of the corners. I took my son grass roots racing just last weekend (he is 3) he loved the double kart at our local grass roots track
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2067181)   #109
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link

Quote:
Earlier today, Mr Howard turned his focus to the motor racing industry by announcing a $10 million dollar promise to build a V8 supercar workshop in Townsville.

A $10 Million V8 Supercar workshop? Interesting summation.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2067213)   #110
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
Link

A $10 Million V8 Supercar workshop? Interesting summation.
Despite recent events, I'd like to refute the rumour that Martin Doxey Racing is re-locating to Townsville.....
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2067236)   #111
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How boringly predictable, an anouncement about nothing.......
Old 14 Nov 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2067527)   #112
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grange54

Well said Grange54
Old 14 Nov 2007, 19:31 (Ref:2067533)   #113
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if there would be any motorsport in the Northern Territory if Hidden Valley was not there. An are such as Townsville and the whole north of the state need a permanent facitlity to build a motorsport industry.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 19:41 (Ref:2067538)   #114
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same could be said for Adelaide and Clipsal
Old 14 Nov 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2067539)   #115
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I wonder if there would be any motorsport in the Northern Territory if Hidden Valley was not there. An are such as Townsville and the whole north of the state need a permanent facitlity to build a motorsport industry.
I don't think this is TC's intention. He seems only interested in having a temporary and or 'moving" facility to promote his circus.

The States carry the infrastructure costs and he skims all the cream with 'little corporate risk"

Any thoughts of a permanent facility are not on the agenda as such a permanent facility leaves the door open for any other promoter to get a leg in!!

Mike
Old 14 Nov 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2067568)   #116
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgive me if I am wrong here, but . . .

Temporary Circuit with Permanent Pit Facilities / Tech Garages / Hospitality Training Faculties = $68 Million.

What sort of permanent Race Track are you going to buy for that? You would need at least Double that for a half decent Permanent Facility. So What do you do? You hold Motor sport events at temporary Circuits, Build up the profile of the Sport and who know what happens in 5 years or so if it is successful. They might be able to wrangle the same people into tipping more money into a permanent Race Track.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 20:59 (Ref:2067582)   #117
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceler8
So One License Goes To Andrew Thompson and the Other to Tony D'AlBerto?
Or both go to Adelaide.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:32 (Ref:2067665)   #118
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will this be at the expense of the QLD Raceway round?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:50 (Ref:2067671)   #119
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope so. QLD Raceway is a dustbowl dump

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 01:01 (Ref:2067707)   #120
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only exciting thing about it to me is that it will be a new track. I don't live in QLD and I don't like street tracks that much (excepting for e.g. Pau, Macau), thats why I don't think its that fantastic.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 02:55 (Ref:2067725)   #121
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thanks taxpayers

[quote=MarkInTheStands]Forgive me if I am wrong here, but . . .

Temporary Circuit with Permanent Pit Facilities / Tech Garages / Hospitality Training Faculties = $68 Million.

What sort of permanent Race Track are you going to buy for that? Add in the annual put up/pull down cost of $6-8 mill annually (based on Adelaide figures) for 5 years and you have around $100 mill.Given the relatively cheaper cost of land in NQ you could build a fantastic permanent circuit.Even the $68 mill would get you something better than Hidden Valley.This folly coming in the middle of pork barreling season(aka the election) is a monument to the short sightedness of politicians.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 03:04 (Ref:2067726)   #122
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Queensland Raceway cost $10million to build 10 years ago? Let's face it, the facilities aren't all that bad, the track design is a bit plain, but you get that when you try and stuff a 3.1km track on a small flat block!

I'd imagine $70million would build you a deadset **** hot race track these days!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 03:18 (Ref:2067727)   #123
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInTheStands
Forgive me if I am wrong here, but . . .

What sort of permanent Race Track are you going to buy for that? You would need at least Double that for a half decent Permanent Facility. So What do you do? You hold Motor sport events at temporary Circuits, Build up the profile of the Sport and who know what happens in 5 years or so if it is successful. They might be able to wrangle the same people into tipping more money into a permanent Race Track.
Are you kidding? QR cost 8 million, Morgan Park cost less than 2 million, Kilcoy will cost less than 4 million. 68 million is far, far more than it would take to build a very decent permanent circuit in Townsville.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 03:23 (Ref:2067729)   #124
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not when you factor in expenses, kick backs, fees, luches, dinners, business trips to see how tracks are built inUganda, Iceland and Alaska though.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 05:19 (Ref:2067750)   #125
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QR, Does not have a Pit Building it has Colorbond Garages and a Awning for the pit lane.

Where are the Corporate Facilities?

The Fans Sit on On the Grass, and watch the racing.

Who would want another Race track like that. They only people it would benefit would be lower circuit track racers. Surely we should all be thinking Multi use here.

I don't know how much the Land in the Desert costs, but BIC cost $200 Million. Now if only to gets something smaller, You would still think $100 Million. Surely as a minimum