Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Oct 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2312252)   #101
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive been on a weekend camp in January, 3 years ago

There was snow on the tent in the morning

PS - i claim the shelves in the pit office
Old 14 Oct 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2312291)   #102
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland
having a nice female to snuggle up to helps as well :-)
Where you going to find one of those alan???? Or are you going to get paul wilson to dress up in drag!!!
Old 14 Oct 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2312311)   #103
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Last few words has won me over
was that the bit about having a wee dram or snuggling up to a nice female still noticed MS girlie has volunteered

quite a few females on here though looking for a real man to cuddle up to though remember the love forum from a few months ago
Old 14 Oct 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2312389)   #104
JIMGOD
Racer

United Kingdom
huthwaite
JIMGOD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
I'm thinking of some alternative accomodation for the april date. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything cheap yet, so will probably end up in the car.
For the FIA/GT meeting which was held at approximately same time as this maybe held i managed to book Travelodge at Towcester for £51 per night Family room.

Got 3 of us in no problem and not far to walk for a beer if i remember.

Might try it again for next year.

If book early enough might get it even cheaper
Old 14 Oct 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2312391)   #105
JIMGOD
Racer

United Kingdom
huthwaite
JIMGOD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMGOD

If book early enough might get it even cheaper
Just done a quick check and can get a non refundable rate at £29 per night

very tempted to book it.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2312407)   #106
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two observations:

1) There seem to be an awful lot of people with birthdays in April - should we just hold one gigantic party?

2) The Fat Clerk appears to be of the wimpish persuasion. But, saying that, I'm assuming we'll get into our normal B&B which has very effective radiators!!!

And, as I'm so good at the "post chief" role (not), observation number 3:

Surely the day/night situation should be very similar to that in September. April is after the clocks go forward whilst Sept is before the clocks go back? However, I always get confused on whether it means darker mornings or evenings for a while, so happy to stand corrected.

And (observation 4 of 2): as said earlier, the weather can be really good in April - just as it can be really bad in September. Who's up for a gamble?
Old 14 Oct 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2312440)   #107
norma_maan
Rookie

England
norma_maan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am definately up for the gamble, after this years experience

but not in a sling this time
Old 14 Oct 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2312453)   #108
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watching a specific Britcar forum the drivers seem to be complaining about a lack of time (to prepare/secure funding) and the championship points on offer so we may not have the 50 or so cars we are used to.
But as we are all used to 12 or so cars doing endurance events (any one who has marshalled the VdeV) Im sure the teams who do make it will appreciate those of us who are brave enough (should that read DAFT enough! ) to marshal this event of events!

Bring it on!
Old 14 Oct 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2312531)   #109
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
What's the percentage of light and dark in April? Fairly long nights, I'd have thought.
Four weeks after the equinox so approx. 60:40 (i.e. more daylight hours than any of the previous four races).

Early April has been mild the last two years - remember the sunshine at the BRSCC clubbie at Silverstone at the begining of the 2007 season? There was thick mist on the Saturday morning though but I was boating in just shorts & t-shirt that afternoon. This year went to Skegness and didn't need a jumper all week. As has already been said, needed many layers the following weekend for the bitter wind on the Friday of the FIA GT meeting.

Quote:
having a nice female to snuggle up to helps
I'll look into more hot snacks but am not sure if the MSA licence covers that sort of provision.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2312624)   #110
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan
Four weeks after the equinox so approx. 60:40 (i.e. more daylight hours than any of the previous four races).
Thanks for that. If I'd had my thinking head on I'd have realized the September date was virtually on the equinox, so 50:50ish and the April date was well after the other one so would be more daylight. Not so prone to fog at that time of the year either. No doubt the snow and heavy frost keep it away...

Seriously, I think there's a pretty good chance I'll finally be able to do the 24hr race at this time of year, and if I can, I will.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2312787)   #111
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What's the percentage of light and dark in April? Fairly long nights, I'd have thought.
Really sad bit here..............

2008 - Saturday Sundown 18:11 Sunday Sunrise 05:51
2009 - Saturday Sundown 19:08 Sunday Sunrise 05:05

That means a whole 103 minutes extra daylight if held on proposed dates in 2009!

I will return to my dark corner now!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2312798)   #112
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seriously, I think there's a pretty good chance I'll finally be able to do the 24hr race at this time of year, and if I can, I will.
Thanks mate. I'll open the volunteering as soon as I get the nod from HQ, although I was hoping to use the 'quiet' period before Christmas to do some work on the database. I'm assuming that most people who've been before are interested in marshalling again.

Having read various other threads the pro's and con's of the proposed April date appear to be:

FOR
No clash with other major meetings = more entries/spectators.
Avoids risking the car if still battling for the championship.

AGAINST
Don't want to wear the car out that early in the season.
Not enough time to get the car ready.
Not enough time to secure funding.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2312855)   #113
Wedgie
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Wedgie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not so prone to fog at that time of the year either.
I take it that you were not at the FIA GTs in April this year ?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2313020)   #114
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, forgot that. Was a bit dim, wasn't it?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2313171)   #115
pauwilson
Racer

Scotland
East Kilbride
pauwilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woolley, IIRC you were camped beside us - or could you just not see us for the fog!!!
Old 28 Oct 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2322673)   #116
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems there could be a change imminent on the 24Hr. Just read this over on Pistonheads.

Quote James Tucker:

"I was the first person to go and meet the villager's, to ask permission for the 24hr in 2002, on Good Friday. I thourght I would be meeting 10 people, wrong 75 turned up, the largest number to any meeting in the village. The hatred for F1 and Bikes was more than appartent, but only because of noise.

Noise is one of the most invassive thing in people's lives, we made the difference by reducing from 105db to 102db, we did it without being asked. F1/LMES/RENAULT/WORLD SUPPER BIKES etc do not care, but F1 will be leaving Silverstone and we will be accepted....and the others will suffer because this subject is a ticking time bomb.

After saying all this, the reason I will not run the 24hr will be because of the Economy, Silv is trying to help get a date, but I believe October is too late for camping etc, so maybe every 2 years at Silverstone could be a way forward....our date should be the same every year 3rd weekend of Sept.
I will keep everyone updated...sportingly
jt
"

So we may be only on for a 6Hr race in April(suggested in a different post) or none at all?

The plot thickens........
Old 28 Oct 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2322722)   #117
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24 hour race - I go to Silverstone . 6 hour race - I don't go to Silverstone

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 28 Oct 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2322742)   #118
pauwilson
Racer

Scotland
East Kilbride
pauwilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a pity they cannot piggyback it onto the WSR weekend, say with a 1pm start on the Saturday to allow for racing either side and a circuit clean up, although having never done a Renault meeting I dont know how busy they are without throwing in a "little" extra race. At least the crowd would be good.

The LMES weekend would be out of the question I would imagine - not just on time but I dont think they would want to be associated with any 24hr other than there own.

Nurburgring, Spa or Zolder next year anyone???
Old 28 Oct 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2322758)   #119
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do any other UK tracks have licenses for 24hr racing?? Snetterton has what about Donington?? the sight of umpteen cars going down the craners at 3am could be hellfire
Old 28 Oct 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2322761)   #120
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what about Donington?? the sight of umpteen cars going down the craners at 3am could be hellfire
donny might be busy building the f1 track
Old 28 Oct 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2322762)   #121
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwilson
Its a pity they cannot piggyback it onto the WSR weekend, say with a 1pm start on the Saturday to allow for racing either side and a circuit clean up, although having never done a Renault meeting I dont know how busy they are without throwing in a "little" extra race. At least the crowd would be good.
Crowd would be very good,especially if it utilised the free ticket promotion again but how many of them would have any knowledge of what was going on ?
Done the WSR this year and don't really want to be associated with another one
Old 28 Oct 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2322883)   #122
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwilson
Nurburgring, Spa or Zolder next year anyone???
Yep, off to the Nurburgring 24 hours in May. 5th time I've done it, 250+ cars for 24 hours, fantastic!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 29 Oct 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2323777)   #123
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the first 24Hrs at Silverstone, I spoke to the local vicar. She had been around the parishes and was happy with the noise levels. Apparently, they had been expecting LMES level noise for the duration.

Saying that, we did notice more car noise from the circuit this year than in earlier years - but was that was probably dependent on the wind direction... We were staying on the "old A43".

Shame if noise things means this won't happen next year, especially considering all the efforts put in by James & Co, BRSCC and, not forgetting PieMan and his sidekick PieLady..................
Old 31 Oct 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2325067)   #124
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
It seems this might be reduced to a shorter race. That is such a shame although I understand the reasoning behind the potential decision.

No matter what the duration - it is still worth doing.

PieLady
Old 4 Nov 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2327853)   #125
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't forget the highlights of this years race are on Sky Sports tomorrow, think it's 6pm on Extra but might be wrong...