Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Mar 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2644646)   #101
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
In ten weeks time we will be waking up to our first morning in the campsite, full english with mugs of tea then out to explore the loire valley then back for the afternoon's practice.
Sorry 14 weeks but hey who's counting, anyway it is under 100 days now
Old 5 Mar 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2645295)   #102
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
13 weeks for me to the day I finish work that's how I always count it.......
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2650421)   #103
Habitual Speeder
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Habitual Speeder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
does anybody know who's performing(singing) this year ?
just curious
What he asked.

Is there normally a heads-up of who'll be there? While I couldn't give a toss if a band(s) will be there, it could be a good distraction for my girlfriend.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2650435)   #104
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual Speeder View Post
What he asked.

Is there normally a heads-up of who'll be there? While I couldn't give a toss if a band(s) will be there, it could be a good distraction for my girlfriend.
there are two concerts, one on wednesday evening and one saturday evening, last year the stranglers played on saturday night, can't remember who played wednesday but usually the bands are well known and interested in Motor Racing
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2650496)   #105
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I might have to listen to some this year (ideally from a substantial distance.... ) as I might actually be watching the race at this time instead of eating a way away in Le Grand Luce!
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2650501)   #106
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I might have to listen to some this year (ideally from a substantial distance.... ) as I might actually be watching the race at this time instead of eating a way away in Le Grand Luce!
I get the feeling this is almost as good an experience as your 1st Le mans Ayse? A different view of an old friend, so to speak?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2650813)   #107
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'll be about ten miles away - a substantial enough distance!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2651001)   #108
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
I get the feeling this is almost as good an experience as your 1st Le mans Ayse? A different view of an old friend, so to speak?
Yes, exactly right - well interpreted! I feel like a child on the way to the sweet shop again!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2651048)   #109
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Get today a Mail from my Friends In Le Mans .

Srutineering Starts on Sunday afternoon !!!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2651256)   #110
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
Get today a Mail from my Friends In Le Mans .

Srutineering Starts on Sunday afternoon !!!

Yep, that's why we're going on Sunday morning now instead of Monday......
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2652422)   #111
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes, exactly right - well interpreted! I feel like a child on the way to the sweet shop again!
Ditto - each year you go back feeling the same!!!!!!

The body may get older, the mind refuses to act its age!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 09:17 (Ref:2652453)   #112
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post

Couldn't have put it better myself!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2652608)   #113
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post

I am now over twice the age that I first went, and although I feel the same excitement about the race the list of essential items that I must take gets longer.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2652962)   #114
Habitual Speeder
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Here's a silly question (that I hope has a silly, obvious, & hopefully positive answer)...

Alcohol: How does it work there? Can you bring your own? Is it worth it, even if you can?

When I go to Mosport, for example, you can bring your own alcohol, or you can choose to buy [exorbitantly priced] beer from the track.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2652996)   #115
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its going to be my Dads 1st (and probably last ) visit to Le Mans, and he's 70 this year. I've never seen him so giddy and its still a few months away! I have to keep reminding him to to stuff as he just forgets with the excitement of it all. His face should be a picture as we arrive in to the Mulsanne straight and on to Indianapolis and Arnage on the Thursday. Cant wait
Old 15 Mar 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2653102)   #116
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual Speeder View Post
Here's a silly question (that I hope has a silly, obvious, & hopefully positive answer)...

Alcohol: How does it work there? Can you bring your own? Is it worth it, even if you can?

When I go to Mosport, for example, you can bring your own alcohol, or you can choose to buy [exorbitantly priced] beer from the track.
It's pretty much as you describe Mosport. I think there's notionally a restriction on bringing alcohol into the circuit but I've never seen or heard of any signs of ticket officials enforcing this.

You can obviously get a beer / glass of wine etc inside the track, but this will often redefine the concept of expensive - although does have the distinct advantage of being cold!
Old 16 Mar 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2653281)   #117
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
They have on some occasions tried to stop you taking glass bottle into the actual general enclosures but most of the time there are no restrictions, at the circuit beer is served cold in plastic cups and although it is not cheap a cold drink is always welcome. On the campsites there are no restrictions, we always buy large crates of the small bottles and plenty of wine so we never run short.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2653550)   #118
Habitual Speeder
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Perfect. Cheers, fellas.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2654014)   #119
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The best source of general information about visiting Le mans by far is the CA guide available here (hope the mods dont mind me posting the link)

http://www.clubarnage.com/caguide/

2010 version should be available closer to the event.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2654464)   #120
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have today found out that this year I actually have a chance to go - for the past 16 years work has stopped me Good times

But, none of my everyday mates can make it Bad times

Anyone got storys of being a Le Mans billy no mates?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2654533)   #121
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
I have today found out that this year I actually have a chance to go - for the past 16 years work has stopped me Good times

But, none of my everyday mates can make it Bad times

Anyone got storys of being a Le Mans billy no mates?
Have always had the pleasure of my wife accompanying me - but that does mean that there are quite a few periods when she's got her feet up back at the campsite with her book and a bottle of wine or (enlightened self interest here) creating something imaginative on the barbecue, when I am essentially on my own trundling around the track - and it's fine. You get to nose about where you want to, the open plan nature of most of the enclosures means wandering's no hardship, and if you want a beer with someone then the nature of most of the campsites and bars around the track is such that it's easy to strike up a conversation and pass the time amiably - after all - there is one thing you almost certainly have in common with everyone else who's there!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2654568)   #122
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Have actually spent most of the race as billy no mates for the last three years, no probs this year as me dear old Dad will be with me. I've promised a few friends that I will catch up this year as Im not working!

Any way, never found it a problem to strike up a conversation and chat to those around, as has been said, we all have something in common!
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2654712)   #123
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Although I go with a group I like to spend a portion of the race on my own, particularly at day break, I usually have a reason to get up at about 4.00am and then spend an hour or two watching the sun rise before going back and getting a couple of hours sleep before breakfast. However what ever time you walk through the campsites you will always end up chatting to someone.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2655471)   #124
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Aah GT6, a man after my own heart. I tend to hit the sack a little earlier on Sat night than my buddies as I love getting up on the bank at Arnage and seeing the first hints of daylight and then the transition to full light. One of those very special Le Mans moments which I treasure and look forward to.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2656087)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
They have on some occasions tried to stop you taking glass bottle into the actual general enclosures but most of the time there are no restrictions, at the circuit beer is served cold in plastic cups and although it is not cheap a cold drink is always welcome. On the campsites there are no restrictions, we always buy large crates of the small bottles and plenty of wine so we never run short.

As Tenthers of course, we have full exemption from the ACO in respect of our Saturday lunchtime meetings - don't we Pascal and Bernard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Its going to be my Dads 1st (and probably last ) visit to Le Mans, and he's 70 this year. I've never seen him so giddy and its still a few months away! I have to keep reminding him to to stuff as he just forgets with the excitement of it all. His face should be a picture as we arrive in to the Mulsanne straight and on to Indianapolis and Arnage on the Thursday. Cant wait
That's absolutely splendid! I'm sure he'll have a fantastic time!

Quote:
Although I go with a group I like to spend a portion of the race on my own, particularly at day break, I usually have a reason to get up at about 4.00am and then spend an hour or two watching the sun rise before going back and getting a couple of hours sleep before breakfast. However what ever time you walk through the campsites you will always end up chatting to someone.
Over the last 8-10 years I've always spent a significant proportion of the race on my own. I've separated from the Tourists around midday on Saturday, not meeting up with them again until about 7 pm, and then on my own again at the circuit from about midnight until 8am. So all in all, that's at least half the race on my own! For me, those hours at night are the best 4-5 hours of the year! My annual fix

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Mar 2010 at 22:48.