Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2748362)   #101
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
July 3rd is probably going to be Miller and September 3rd is Baltimore I imagine.

Unless the ALMS shares Watkins Glen with the IndyCars on Independence Day weekend, which would be a dream (and virtually impossible - although ISC is technically a separate entity from NASCAR, and as a publicly traded company owes it to its shareholders to put the best product forward and therefore make money for their shareholders) ... I know I'm dreaming, and sensible Chris says July 3rd will be a six hour at Miller with fireworks and Independence Day party. But maybe that is Oklahoma's date.

Chris
Given the current information -

ISC kicked Indy Car out of Watkins Glen due to low turnout. What Indy Car does July 3rd is unknown and that is likely why there's a date but no track. I seem to remember that Oklahoma was to be a shared weekend, not just the ALMS on a Saturday Afternoon.

That's one possibility.

There's some grand shuffling going on in the background. Indy Car is rumored to be as many as 20 events in 2011 if not more.

For all the Haterade around Ratel, he is likely in the mix somewhere. Nothing directly to do with the ALMS, but we now have an open date in May at Laguna Seca, July in Utah and August in Mosport.

Other unresolved issues are -

Is the WTCC coming to America/North America?

Are there more than two dates for FIA World GT1 in North America?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2748363)   #102
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
And we don't have the lengths
When you say lengths I assume you mean (time) distance?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2748371)   #103
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
And we don't have the lengths
I would think the lengths will stay the same for the regular venues, they made sure to state that Laguna would be 6hrs. The 2 new venues will be a max of 2:45, IMO.

L.P.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2748378)   #104
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't think 10 is necessarily all we will see. If St. Petersburg is slotted in that first weekend in April, then I suspect we will see that one back. Sears Point could slot in a few weeks after Long Beach. There is also always the option of adding a spring Atlanta Grand Prix to fill a gap.

I think Laguna could be interesting going forward. I think the back portion of the LMS schedule could be pushed forward in the calendar (sooner following Le Mans) to allow Laguna to eventually take up a third North American slot in the ILMC.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2748383)   #105
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is assinine of the ACO to put the Le Mans test that far in advance of the race!!!!! It should be a week in front of it not a month.

L.P.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2748385)   #106
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Well... in latter years it has been two weeks ahead of the race, but for example in 2001 it was about 5 or 6 weeks before the race (start of May).
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2748391)   #107
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Well... in latter years it has been two weeks ahead of the race, but for example in 2001 it was about 5 or 6 weeks before the race (start of May).
Two weeks should be MAX!! There is a lot more to take into account than there was in 2001.

L.P.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2748394)   #108
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Two weeks should be MAX!! There is a lot more to take into account than there was in 2001.
L.P.
+1, completely agree!

DK
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2748421)   #109
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lime Rock is still on the schedule!!!
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2748429)   #110
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I think it is assinine of the ACO to put the Le Mans test that far in advance of the race!!!!! It should be a week in front of it not a month.

L.P.
The logic is that with new LMP regs if there's a safety issue with the aero configuration or any car in particular then a week isn't long enough to sort it.

The two TBDs in the 2011 schedule are Oklahoma in July and Baltimore in September AFAIK

Ben
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2748440)   #111
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
The logic is that with new LMP regs if there's a safety issue with the aero configuration or any car in particular then a week isn't long enough to sort it.
There are tracks on both sides of the Pond that aero can be tested, with only tweeking needed at the Le Mans test. That excuse is hogwash!!

The two TBDs in the 2011 schedule are Oklahoma in July and Baltimore in September AFAIK

Ben
Yes those are the most likely.

L.P.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2748442)   #112
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Except for on this board, I have seen NOTHING to indicate that Oklahoma is to be a shared weekend with Indy Car. And if you look at the date, the ALMS race on July 3rd is a Sunday, so I think it's actually a stand alone event for the ALMS.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2748451)   #113
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Yes those are the most likely.

L.P.
Incorrect on tracks. Le Mans had large crowns in the road and you have to run a prototype at a higher ride height than pretty much anywhere else.

Le Mans is a very specific track that isn't replicated anywhere else to be honest.

BTW it costs 600,000 Euro to close the Sarthe circuit for 1 day...

Ben
Old 22 Aug 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2748455)   #114
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Incorrect on tracks. Le Mans had large crowns in the road and you have to run a prototype at a higher ride height than pretty much anywhere else.

Le Mans is a very specific track that isn't replicated anywhere else to be honest.

BTW it costs 600,000 Euro to close the Sarthe circuit for 1 day...

Ben

So what! Running the aero on a high speed track anywhere in the world to make sure it does not implode or blow over is all that is needed and then tune it during the test for Le Mans which needs to be no more than 2 weeks prior. Cost is cost and I am not suggesting not testing!! But giving thought to the break it creates in the ALMS calander. Sorry the model the LMS uses of a race 6+ weeks apart sucks!! IMO

The Le Mans break creates an 11 or 12 week gaping hole in the ALMS calander in 2011!!!!!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 22 Aug 2010 at 18:29.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2748715)   #115
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Good that only Miller is in danger to be dropped. I agree that there should be a race in May. How about São Paulo? Together with Sebring and/or Long Beach and Potrero de los Funes, it could form a Le Mans Americas Cup.

Mosport so early means that Edmonton will have to be moved to one week earlier, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
What Indy Car does July 3rd is unknown and that is likely why there's a date but no track. I seem to remember that Oklahoma was to be a shared weekend, not just the ALMS on a Saturday Afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
if you look at the date, the ALMS race on July 3rd is a Sunday
The IndyCar might race at Oklahoma on Monday.

Quote:
There's some grand shuffling going on in the background. Indy Car is rumored to be as many as 20 events in 2011 if not more.
ESPN Latin America announcers said the opposite: 16. We'll have to wait a little more.

Quote:
For all the Haterade around Ratel, he is likely in the mix somewhere.

Other unresolved issues are -

Is the WTCC coming to America/North America?

Are there more than two dates for FIA World GT1 in North America?
Good questions. I doubt the WTCC part because those touring cars are too pedestrian for American tastes. Besides, having just three brands (one of which doesn't exist in the U.S. and Canada) won't help either.

Quote:
Running the aero on a high speed track anywhere in the world to make sure it does not implode or blow over is all that is needed
La Sarthe is not just about going fast in straights. I mean, cars must brake and turn correctly to get a good exit and be fast in the next straight. The surface is very bumpy, and I can't think of many tracks on warm weather with long straights and bumpy corners.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2748718)   #116
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
So what! Running the aero on a high speed track anywhere in the world to make sure it does not implode or blow over is all that is needed and then tune it during the test for Le Mans which needs to be no more than 2 weeks prior. Cost is cost and I am not suggesting not testing!! But giving thought to the break it creates in the ALMS calander. Sorry the model the LMS uses of a race 6+ weeks apart sucks!! IMO

The Le Mans break creates an 11 or 12 week gaping hole in the ALMS calander in 2011!!!!!

L.P.
As I understand it they aren't going to force everyone to attend. If at least one example of each car attends that's ok AFAIK.

I think (no actually, I know) that you're grossly underestimating the specificity of Le Mans as a race track. The surface is mainly public road (and I mean the texture of it now, not the crown) and that means the only place to reliably develop tyres for it is the track itself.

Ben
Old 23 Aug 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2748728)   #117
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I think (no actually, I know) that you're grossly underestimating the specificity of Le Mans as a race track. The surface is mainly public road (and I mean the texture of it now, not the crown) and that means the only place to reliably develop tyres for it is the track itself.

Ben
No I am not underestimating anything, much less grossly! The inverse is happening, IMO.
What, no tires developed for Le Mans? How will next year be any different than the last several? Only the fact of a wing on the frakking cars! The largest percentage of cars will be veterans of the track! which makes the lead time on the test next year ridiculous, at best.

L.P.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 01:51 (Ref:2748737)   #118
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, I'm not sure the changed Mosport date makes it more or less likely for me to attend than the end of summer. I'm giving this year a miss due to a very weak support schedule - the thing I want to see the most besides the main show is the CTCC! - but there is maybe more likelihood of classic Mosport rain a month earlier...

Honestly I doubt the date change will affect attendance no matter what else it brings; Canadians are pretty loyal road racing fans. Would be nice to get a longer race for a bit of a midsummer classic though!
Old 23 Aug 2010, 06:40 (Ref:2748790)   #119
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure the changed Mosport date makes it more or less likely for me to attend than the end of summer. I'm giving this year a miss due to a very weak support schedule - the thing I want to see the most besides the main show is the CTCC! - but there is maybe more likelihood of classic Mosport rain a month earlier...

Honestly I doubt the date change will affect attendance no matter what else it brings; Canadians are pretty loyal road racing fans. Would be nice to get a longer race for a bit of a midsummer classic though!
It won't impact attendance, summers are too short to complain about where's what. That might be taken them for granted a bit, but as you said they are loyal fans.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2748792)   #120
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
No I am not underestimating anything, much less grossly! The inverse is happening, IMO.
What, no tires developed for Le Mans? How will next year be any different than the last several? Only the fact of a wing on the frakking cars! The largest percentage of cars will be veterans of the track! which makes the lead time on the test next year ridiculous, at best.

L.P.
This! Well Done.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2749168)   #121
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Sept. 3 TBA date is almost certinaly Baltimore. Indy Car announce that date a couple of days ago, and it's on labor day weekend, like the TBA ALMS date. That is unless IMSA still has to shuffle the schedule more and if so, who'll get the dates then?

Also, it was alluded that some of the races might not be the normal 2:45 sprint races. Which races should get the 4 hour/500 mile or 6 hour/1000km treatment?

Last edited by chernaudi; 23 Aug 2010 at 20:29.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2749178)   #122
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The Sept. 3 TBA date is almost certinaly Baltimore. Indy Car announce that date a couple of days ago, and it's on labor day weekend, like the TBA ALMS date. That is unless IMSA still has to shuffle the schedule more and if so, who'll get the dates then?

Also, it was alluded that some of the races might not be the normal 2:45 sprint races. Which races should get the 4 hour/500 mile or 6 hour/1000km treatment?
From what is on the schedule, and what is projected to be the other 2 rounds. If they do expand the race length, as Scott said that may occur, I would think the most likely candidates are Mid-O and Road America for probably a 4hr/500 mile event.

L.P.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2749208)   #123
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Miller has a covered grandstand on the front straight which is nice enough and has some of the nicest facilities of any track.

Elevation change, I have no idea what people are talking about when they call Miller flat. I've done hundreds, thousands of laps at Miller it's various track configs and I think it has heaps of elevation changes.
From people I know who are in ALMS or Grand Am, or cover it, there are three things that are virtually universal about Miller:

1. The drivers hate the place...at least in the two longest configurations that they have run out there...not many places to pass for starters.

2. Teams and crews hate the place, too...it is in the middle of nowhere, the pit walls are high, and you can't see around the track easily due to the high barriers on the front straight to follow your car in action or the status of the race, and

3. The place doesn't draw flies, let alone spectators, to the races in either one of those series.

FWIW

YMMV

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Aug 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2749209)   #124
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
From what is on the schedule, and what is projected to be the other 2 rounds. If they do expand the race length, as Scott said that may occur, I would think the most likely candidates are Mid-O and Road America for probably a 4hr/500 mile event.

L.P.
We should start an email campaign to have longer races HOWEVER as long as its STREAMED at the very least.

5 out of 10 races longer than 2:45, sounds good to me. Sprint races should stay in the mix and honestly the Long Beach race which is the last race of the day should go longer at least 120 mins.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2749251)   #125
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
From people I know who are in ALMS or Grand Am, or cover it, there are three things that are virtually universal about Miller:

1. The drivers hate the place...at least in the two longest configurations that they have run out there...not many places to pass for starters.

2. Teams and crews hate the place, too...it is in the middle of nowhere, the pit walls are high, and you can't see around the track easily due to the high barriers on the front straight to follow your car in action or the status of the race, and

3. The place doesn't draw flies, let alone spectators, to the races in either one of those series.

FWIW

YMMV
Well I hope it doesn't end up as some abandoned track someday. I've been to plenty worse places.