Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Apr 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2857087)   #101
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Percentage-wise, that's almost a 20% cut in allowed boost pressure.
That is true, but boost pressure mainly has an impact on torque. The air restrictor size limits power. In that aspect the HPD does not have a disadvantage compared to the Nissan engine.

As I explained in this follow up message in the Acura topic, the HPD chassis is punished by the rules because it does not meet the cost cap. However, the Zytek car also does not comply with the cost cap and it is still massively faster.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2857089)   #102
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is the hancook car a 430 or the 458, on the timing an scoring it says 430, hindy has been calling it a 430, but dagys pictures show a hancook 458 being driven at pal ricard
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2857091)   #103
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
is the hancook car a 430 or the 458, on the timing an scoring it says 430, hindy has been calling it a 430, but dagys pictures show a hancook 458 being driven at pal ricard
458. Apparently it ran a different exhaust than the other 458s today.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2857096)   #104
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
on the timing an scoring it says 430
In the result pdfs this mistake is corrected. See http://www.lemans-series.com/fr/s52_...&id_circuit=19
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2857097)   #105
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Also, anyone got any links to some pictures from practise or the pit garages/paddock? it would be interesting to see some of the new cars in the hands of new teams in their new war paint.
Endurance-info has some pictures on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
However, the Zytek car also does not comply with the cost cap and it is still massively faster.
Not only that, but the Greaves Zytek was the fastest LMP2 today. Also, the Amaral Zytek was the fastest in LMP1. I think Zytek has to be pleased with their LMP1 right now and of course of their Nissan engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
The Level 5 cars struggled at Sebring but seemed to get faster as time went on and (seemed) to be reliable enough to make it 12 hours without too much drama - for a new engine that is. These guys have yet to qualify and are already worried...
The Level 5 cars did seem to get faster as the sun went down in both practice in the race. At least I think that was the case. Is there something technical that would cause lower temperatures to make the HPD more competitive relative to the Nissans and perhaps the Judd too?
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2857104)   #106
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Level 5 cars did seem to get faster as the sun went down in both practice in the race. At least I think that was the case. Is there something technical that would cause lower temperatures to make the HPD more competitive relative to the Nissans and perhaps the Judd too?[/QUOTE]

More dense air (lower temps.) help turbochargers alot, I felt like it was more than that. Is performance balancing through ACO happening after each race/before each race, how is this decision made.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2857105)   #107
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Is there something technical that would cause lower temperatures to make the HPD more competitive relative to the Nissans and perhaps the Judd too?
More oxygen in the air, so more power. With higher temperatures the intercooler is less efficient.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2857106)   #108
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Is performance balancing through ACO happening after each race/before each race, how is this decision made.
The rules state
Quote:
Adjustments of performance will be made, if necessary, after the first and / or the second race and during all the season by the ACO so that the performance of the best 2010 LMP2 does not exceed the performance of the best 2011 LMP2. These adjustments will be applied identically to all 2010 LMP2 to maintain their hierarchy.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2857109)   #109
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks gwyllion, so no hope before the first race for a balance. I guess that is fair, cuts out environment/sandbagging/setup issues/teams/fuel ect. There will need to be a big change before June...
Old 1 Apr 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2857115)   #110
AGD
Veteran

For what it is worth, IMSA made a handful of performance balancing moves yesterday for the ALMS, but they did not make any changes related to LMP2 engines. Of course, the only engines on the Long Beach entry list and probably for the entry lists after that for the time being are HPDs. Maybe they are waiting for the ACO to blink first or maybe they wanted to see what would happen at Ricard.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2857118)   #111
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Anyone got any more information about the AMR One misfire issue, DFI/FSI engines can be a pain sometimes but when they run they run well, but can have issues with fuel quality, spark delivery. I hate to see the V12 go, and would like to see someone with a different answer to the same problem by going with a I6 Turbo have some success over the more traditional solutions.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2857121)   #112
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
According to http://www.lemans.org/fr/courses/24h...ulte_3276.html there was a small fire because of a loose fuel line. So someone probably made a mistake when installing the new engine...
Old 1 Apr 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2857128)   #113
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Wow, someone's walking home after that one - can't say I have never made a mistake rechecking things like that. Lets hope the rest of the weekend goes more smoothly with new car/new engine/high level team.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2857141)   #114
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Also, anyone got any links to some pictures from practise or the pit garages/paddock? it would be interesting to see some of the new cars in the hands of new teams in their new war paint.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...friday-gallery
Old 1 Apr 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2857142)   #115
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My guy with HPD in Ricard says the engine has excellent torque but absolutely no top end.I'm no technical wiz, so is that down to the restrictor size or something else?It just hits a brick wall on the straights - simply runs out of puff!
Old 1 Apr 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2857144)   #116
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Thank you very much good sir and ADG for the picture links. The Hankook Ferrari 458 is beautiful, looks even better than the 430 although I do sort of miss the orange wheels. I'm hoping Hankooks loud exhaust stays on the 458 or gets adopted by the other teams, nothing quite like a Ferrari V8 howling on straight through exhaust or a barely silenced exhaust.

I'm looking forward to qualifying tomorrow, is it on Motors or being streamed anywhere?
Old 1 Apr 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2857146)   #117
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
My guy with HPD in Ricard says the engine has excellent torque but absolutely no top end.I'm no technical wiz, so is that down to the restrictor size or something else?It just hits a brick wall on the straights - simply runs out of puff!
That doesn't sound good at all. I don't know much about engines but possibly a duff engine map giving the car too much go low down and not enough at the top end? or it could be something more intrinsic to the engine design itself. Either way, I hope to see Honda get some speed and do well, I drive a Honda myself and I'm a massive Honda geek and it saddens me to see them struggling. Especially as well from the videos I have seen of the new turbo 6. Sounds like a 935 Porsche and that is a very good thing.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2857177)   #118
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Guys, you have it a bit backwards about which engines are aided by environmental conditions.

Yes, cooler air is denser. However, this will help a normally aspirated engine. The advantage of a turbo, at high temperatures and high altitudes, is that they have a recourse for recouping at least some of that drop in air density that is NOT available to the guys running atmospheric engines.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2857190)   #119
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may want to join 10 Tenth Chatroom throughout the weekend too
Old 2 Apr 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2857198)   #120
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Free Practice 3 underway......AMR-One on track!

Live Timing
Old 2 Apr 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2857201)   #121
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hindy and Graham Goodwin in the commentary box (Radio Le Mans).
Old 2 Apr 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2857246)   #122
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
A heads up for anyone who hasn't yet entered their predictions for the competition.............

Entries for Round 2 of our FANTASY RACING CHALLENGE close in less than 2 hours. Early days in the competition, so even if you missed Round 1, there's plenty of time to catch up!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2857269)   #123
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look's like the Strakka and RML cars are a consistent 3 to 4 seconds off the LMP2 pace.Given that the HPD/Acura package is probably the most expensive to purchase and operate in LMP2 then expect these teams to be pretty miffed right now.

The driver line-ups plus the chassis,tyres and aero package should be the class of the field.Either someone has got the new regs wrong or HPD have dropped a gonad.What do you think?
Old 2 Apr 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2857273)   #124
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HPD guys had a meeting with ACO yesterday, but I doubt anything can be done for this weekend. For sure they are lobbying for a major restrictor break.

50mins till quali! RLM brodcast starting ~ half past noon (british summertime).
Old 2 Apr 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2857278)   #125
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Aston LMP1 was only 11th overall with several LMP2 cars (including one of the ARX-01s) out running it?!

However, all things considered (budget shortfalls and rushed development), I guess we should be glad that they've even turned a wheel at all this weekend. However, unless some major changes happen, I don't see them being a serious threat to Audi or Peugeot at Spa or LM.

I guess that they have little choice with their issues to use Paul Ricard as a test under fire. It could be worse, and it is early days, but not all that encouraging yet, either.