Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Mar 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3036393)   #101
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Could it be for financial and build capacity reasons?

If DJR remain 4 cars next year, thats 5 cars required including a spare.
Could 888 produce 14 chassis's by March next year?

Given a COTF chassis is a COTF chassis regardless who builds it (except for Mig/Tig welding!). It might be cheaper for Pace to build DJR's and 888 supply all the bolt on bits for assembly at DJR?

888 might even supply Ikea style assembly instructions
You would imagine that if anyone had the capacity to achieve the construction of 14 chassis in a single season it would more than likely be 888 or perhaps WP.

Accidents like Mr Webb's at Clipsal show the need for teams such as his to secure a spare chassis for his team.. or at least a very good loan/lease contingency arrangement with the supplying team on one of those spares in case of similar issues rendering the car unavailable...
Old 7 Mar 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3036441)   #102
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, whispers from the white powder institution are revealing that DJR will become the factory FSM Niki 650 team as part of the COTF. All in house construction, they say...

They would look good with racing stripes Take a look at the beast which will join the ranks in 2013

They're strong too... one journalist wrote "The walls of Boggo Road Jail are thick and impenetrable as well, but on both occasions we don't want to be inside either"
Old 1 Apr 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3051512)   #103
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A note on RECs which might get the convo going in the right direction.

The Schwerkolt REC is in its second year of lease back to DJR. Is the most likely outcome here a swap with the Morris REC currently leased to Tekno?

This would see DJR use 1x Johnson, 1x Fiore and 2x Morris RECs, whilst Tekno would use 1x Webb and 1x Schwerkolt RECs. Makes sense considering the Johnson/Morris tie up and the Waverley Forklifts signage and apparent funding from Schwerkolt to Tekno that their RECs are tied up.

This leads me to my next question... Schwerkolt and Courtney, is the love affair still there? Is James out of contract at years end? Is Patrizi just a seat warmer? Could we see Courtney at Tekno in 2013?

More questions...

If 'yes' to the above, who's in at HRT? While we're on HRT/Walkinshaw, is this year Russell's last year? It's starting to become un-graceful...

Potential 2 seats at the Walkinshaw stable open next year... Candidates?

The last major question is the make-up of Kelly Racing next year. Fairly sure #7 and #15 will be branded 'NISMO Jack Daniels Racing' with the brothers, but what of #11 and #16/#51? Sponsors, drivers? The current Reindler/Murphy, Fair Dinkum/Pepsi thing doesn't seem like it has the legs to make it to next years Nissan deal.

Now for some dot joining... Pepsi with Courtney and Schwerkolt to Tekno? (just getting creative)

Now for your thoughts.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3051599)   #104
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are right in the swap of franchises between DJR & Tekno.

Whilst they didn't say so outright, reading between the lines of what has been said I think Schwerkolt, Pepsi & FPR (for the 2nd time in the case of the latter) all felt dudded by Courtney & Alan Gow and would be reluctant to do business again.

When Ingall's moving to WR was announced it seemed that it was the sponsorship rather than the driver was the attraction and that after a year he would step down from full time driving with Nick Percat to take the seat.

After the Nissan deal was announced, Murphy was quoted as saying he would have to consider his future, given his relationship with HSV.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 02:50 (Ref:3052051)   #105
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what Murphy moves back to HRT, Percat to SuperCheap WP and Courtney to the Pepsi #91 car?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3052057)   #106
SJA
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
So what Murphy moves back to HRT, Percat to SuperCheap WP and Courtney to the Pepsi #91 car?
Does anyone honestly believe Murphy will go anywhere other than running his DVS team, driving in NZ and popping up for the enduros from next year onwards?

And as said above, and when you follow the logic I agree; it's unlikely Schwerkolt, Pepsi and Courtney will attempt to team up again.

So where to for Courtney then? And who to HRT/WR (Percat likely candidate for 1 seat (Supercheap or HRT), but who for the other? (Assuming only Tander from the current stable is staying for 2013).

I don't see a lot of driver movement on the cards this silly season apart from HRT/WR, KR and possibly Tekno #91, and neither Murph, Reindler or Patrizi would be regarded as the type of driver HRT/WR are looking for...

Just a thought...
#2 Tander
#22 Percat?
#66 Perkins?

#11 Reindler, Russell or maybe Blanchard?
#51/16 Courtney?

#91 Patrizi or maybe McLaughlin?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 04:50 (Ref:3052064)   #107
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Courtney leaving. They rate him highly despite the lack of results so far.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3052066)   #108
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
I can't see Courtney leaving. They rate him highly despite the lack of results so far.
but if the bad results continue, will courtney rate HRT
Old 2 Apr 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3052069)   #109
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha good point!

I think you are looking at a long term relationship there.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3052072)   #110
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All this talk of certain drivers retiring throws out an important point about 2013: we have the biggest change in these cars since their inception, experienced guys are going to be really important in developing the cars.

So I think there will be some life in the old dogs yet - both Rusty and Greg particularly enjoy solid commercial backing despite their relative lack of results.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 05:58 (Ref:3052077)   #111
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Mixer, do experienced guys bring a lot to the table when something is new , or does there experience mean the are trying to make the thing like the old car when maybe its time to try something new
Old 2 Apr 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3052106)   #112
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
but if the bad results continue, will courtney rate HRT
But nobody else is likely to offer the coin that HRT are forking out for his services either. Is he off contract at year end, at time deal was reportedly 'multi-year' & there could be options or break clauses ala his DJR deal?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3052120)   #113
SJA
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
But nobody else is likely to offer the coin that HRT are forking out for his services either. Is he off contract at year end, at time deal was reportedly 'multi-year' & there could be options or break clauses ala his DJR deal?
It's been reported you either "get" the WP machines, or you "don't". It's been said that Garth is really the only one who knows how to drive those things.

Clearly there is an up and comer in the lower ranks who actually won Bathurst last year obviously "gets" the WP machines...

Honestly, why keep shelling out for Courtney when he clearly doesn't gel with the machinery when you have Percat there ready to go!

This isn't a Courtney bash. He's the goods when he's in a car that suits him (DJR '10), but wouldn't all parties be happier if the relationship ended sooner rather than later?

He might need to take a bit less money to go to a lesser team, but I'd take less cash for a car more suited to my style or no.1 status any day!

I also know there are those out there who don't believe Percat is up to the task, but HRT have drafted rookies before (the name Lowndes mean anything to anyone?)

Percat could also be a "Holdsworth" style surprise. Not exactly "dominant" in the DVS, but rises to the main game challenge nicely.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:48 (Ref:3052140)   #114
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
SJA just pointing out that lowndes was nearly 20 years ago

recent history suggests they poach champions.

Of course this years champion may make them regret that
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3052249)   #115
SJA
Racer

Australia
Quote:
SJA just pointing out that lowndes was nearly 20 years ago

True. No arguments. Time for a reversal of policy?

(Garth was more of an internal promotion though than a poach - HSVDT and HRT were both managed by WP at the time... so to speak)
Old 2 Apr 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3052451)   #116
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you still not letting that go?

The deal for Courtney was done a long time before the end of the season, and rightly so, it didn't look very good for there to be a job at DJR the year later, i probably would have left aswell.

We might have to call the wambulance for you 'ford' supporters.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3052586)   #117
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Are you still not letting that go?

The deal for Courtney was done a long time before the end of the season, and rightly so, it didn't look very good for there to be a job at DJR the year later, i probably would have left aswell.

We might have to call the wambulance for you 'ford' supporters.
Letting go of what?

We are discussing if HRT bring on drivers, i suggested there recent history suggest they didnt bring on drivers they recruited experience drivers from other teams. in the case of their current recruits, they were the champions of the prevous year

you should consider discussing the topic, instead of playing the man

But if we are going to take things out of context, then you wouldnt have left DJR as well, because there is no way DJR would ever employed you in the first place

I'm not sure why you mention ford supporters. Tander drove for a holden team. Once again the little troll is playing the man and not the topic,

Last edited by peckstar; 2 Apr 2012 at 22:16.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 02:18 (Ref:3052646)   #118
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mixer, do experienced guys bring a lot to the table when something is new , or does there experience mean the are trying to make the thing like the old car when maybe its time to try something new
There's value on both sides. With the change in cars it could go either way.

There's no substitute for experience if you ask me, the physics of the cars doesn't change and the same sorts of methods are going to work, but the minutae will be different.

However with the COTF cars being "Porsche-like" maybe young guns out of Carerra Cup could be handy too?

I think experience will be worth a lot, and the people that keep their driver/engineer relationship together will do the best.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3053816)   #119
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
It's been reported you either "get" the WP machines, or you "don't". It's been said that Garth is really the only one who knows how to drive those things.

Clearly there is an up and comer in the lower ranks who actually won Bathurst last year obviously "gets" the WP machines...

Honestly, why keep shelling out for Courtney when he clearly doesn't gel with the machinery when you have Percat there ready to go!

Percat could also be a "Holdsworth" style surprise. Not exactly "dominant" in the DVS, but rises to the main game challenge nicely.
Agree in that Tander seems to be the only one to get some sort of pace from the HRT cars but even then it's still not good enough to challenge regularly.....Davo was an interesting one coming 2nd in 09 then no pace at all in 10.

Percat could be good, another surprise would be Tim Slade, i never thought that he would be as good as he's turned out to be
Old 11 Apr 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3056982)   #120
SJA
Racer

Australia
Had another thought today...

To date I'm pretty sure when we've been thinking of the 4-car Kelly/Nissan team next year, we've been thinking along the lines of this:

7 - T Kelly - Jack Daniels/Nissan Motorsport (Kelly REC)
15 - R Kelly - Jack Daniels/Nissan Motorsport (Kelly REC)
11 - TBA - TBA/Nissan Motorsport (Perkins REC)
51/16 - TBA - TBA/Nissan Motorsport (Perkins REC)

...but what about this...

15 - R Kelly - Nissan Motorsport (Kelly REC)
16 - TBA - Nissan Motorsport (Kelly REC)
7 - T Kelly - Jack Daniels Racing (Perkins REC)
11 - TBA - Jack Daniels Racing (Perkins REC)

It involves a bit of REC and number swapping, but that's been done before (at the teams formation); but there is sense in this. By splitting the brothers it gives both 2-car squads a strong leader, keeps their brands separate and gives them maximum exposure and naming rights to each. There's a ton of reasons why this could be a viable model. I wonder if they're considering it. It must be preferable on some level to have two AB teams than to have an AA team and a BB team.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3057007)   #121
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except the Nissan 'works' deal isnt likely strong enough to take whole of car sponsorship on any of the 4 KR/NismoAu run operations...

The question of interest may be who might replace Mr Murphy and/or Mr Reindler & their various backers when the Nissan KnowHow roadshow arrives at Braeside...
Old 11 Apr 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3057094)   #122
Mixer
Veteran

There won't be any "Nissan Motorsport" cars liveried as such but Nissan will have signage on all 4 cars.

For a $10m investment it doesn't seem like that much really, but they are all racing Nissans.

I'd guess as long as Reindler is performing and can bring a sponsor he's probably got a gig. Murph is a harder one, Pepsi seem to be leveraging Murph quite well in an integrated marketing sense, and Murph has got a pretty strong fan following and seems "cool" enough to be a Pepsi rep. So the question is, will Murph become a Nismo spokesdroid or perhaps look to take the Pepsi bucks somewhere else, or move "back" to WP and resume his Supercheap links?

Hypothetically lets say Murph's Holden/HSV links are too strong and he has to turn down a contract with the Kelly's to drive a Pepsi Nissan - who could take his place? Who's marketable enough to take on a brand like this? I could see Fabian Coulthard doing it, he's young, cool, likable, marketable on both sides of the Tasman...

Plausible, but perhaps not likely? Chewing gum for the brain perhaps.

The above is utter conjecture, some would say outright rubbish, and it may not resemble any sort of reality... Just sayin
Old 11 Apr 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3057095)   #123
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Thexton in a Nissan could work...
Old 11 Apr 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3057167)   #124
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
There won't be any "Nissan Motorsport" cars liveried as such but Nissan will have signage on all 4 cars.

For a $10m investment it doesn't seem like that much really, but they are all racing Nissans.

I'd guess as long as Reindler is performing and can bring a sponsor he's probably got a gig. Murph is a harder one, Pepsi seem to be leveraging Murph quite well in an integrated marketing sense, and Murph has got a pretty strong fan following and seems "cool" enough to be a Pepsi rep. So the question is, will Murph become a Nismo spokesdroid or perhaps look to take the Pepsi bucks somewhere else, or move "back" to WP and resume his Supercheap links?

Hypothetically lets say Murph's Holden/HSV links are too strong and he has to turn down a contract with the Kelly's to drive a Pepsi Nissan - who could take his place? Who's marketable enough to take on a brand like this? I could see Fabian Coulthard doing it, he's young, cool, likable, marketable on both sides of the Tasman...

Plausible, but perhaps not likely? Chewing gum for the brain perhaps.

The above is utter conjecture, some would say outright rubbish, and it may not resemble any sort of reality... Just sayin
Sounds interesting. With Murphy if he does jump ship, he hasn't got a lot of choices. Going back "home" to Walkinshaw sounds the most logical but DJ Walky is pretty keen on getting back Fabian back into the 3rd WP car. Murphy and the good ol' boys from Albury don't get along since their days with the Orix Audi SuperTourer. The only other option is to go to Tekno but it's Queensland and Little Jim is (if rumor is true) jumping ship from HRT to Tekno.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3057184)   #125
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Little Jim is (if rumor is true) jumping ship from HRT to Tekno.
Seeing that Mr Schwerkolt appears involved in Tekno and the way his last relationship with James ended in acrimonious circumstances after the FPR / Pepsi deal fell over at the 11th hour, can't see this happening. Not to mention James will want big $ (whether deserved is another story) and Tekno isn't exactly flush with sponsorship at the moment.