Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2015, 08:18 (Ref:3560409)   #101
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
That is a good idea Viva, bring a Nissan PU into F1 and then lease it and re-badge it Renault, RBR happy, Lotus/Renault happy.
Mercedes as miserable as sin!
I think the answer is spelled Ghosin.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3560424)   #102
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be happy to see Renault back. Make it fast and yellow and I'm on board.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3560506)   #103
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be great to see them back. Hopefully, they can emulate their Prost/Arnoux and Alonso/Fisi success. However, their current engine needs some major work in this turbo hybrid era. They have got the expertise - I hope they can figure it out.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 13:31 (Ref:3560734)   #104
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks like there's a massive shake up going on at Renault as they announce an end to backing FR3.5 at the end of the season.

The article says: "Renault's decision to discontinue is thought to stem from the arrival of the new FIA-backed Formula 2 series and marketing and commercial reasons."

However, I wonder if this could be part of a restructuring programme before they re-enter F1 as a works team?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120093
Old 25 Jul 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3560753)   #105
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It looks like there's a massive shake up going on at Renault as they announce an end to backing FR3.5 at the end of the season.

The article says: "Renault's decision to discontinue is thought to stem from the arrival of the new FIA-backed Formula 2 series and marketing and commercial reasons."

However, I wonder if this could be part of a restructuring programme before they re-enter F1 as a works team?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120093
Why would you draw that conclusion? It could equally be argued that it is a precursor to Renault leaving motor sport or at least open wheel motor sport entirely. The hope would be that they are gathering their resources to buy into F1 but don't bet on it.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3560811)   #106
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping that the new F2 is just a merger between WSR and GP2, so it would make a title sponsor redundant anyway. There's still a possibility that it'll be a load of crap that technically is the direct feeder series but in reality is below the two rivals though.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 15:50 (Ref:3560812)   #107
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Why would you draw that conclusion? It could equally be argued that it is a precursor to Renault leaving motor sport or at least open wheel motor sport entirely. The hope would be that they are gathering their resources to buy into F1 but don't bet on it.
I didn't say it was a given, I said: "I wonder if this could be part of a restructuring programme before they re-enter F1 as a works team?", considering the rumours that have been flying around, about the possibility of Renault becoming a works team again. Indeed, it could equally be argued that it is a precursor to Renault leaving motor sport or at least open wheel motor sport entirely but don't bet on it.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3560858)   #108
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe the new F2 will have Renault engines and therefore Renault will back it and not World series.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 01:08 (Ref:3561063)   #109
Casper
Veteran

I just don't see Renault rejoining as a full works team before the next generation of engine rules are cut and dried or at least a long way down the track. It makes no sense as the time left in this generation of rules is so small they would never be able to catch up as a stand alone manufacturer. It may be that Ghosn has to leave the premises as well because he is not a huge fan of F1 either from all reports. The state of car sales in the group and the money supply from them will also influence the decision but if they can screw enough appearance money out of BE that factor will be lessened and it appears that process is or has been negotiated. If or when they come back they do not want to do a Honda and cop a hiding in the press which is exactly what would happen now so I think the prospect of a return in the near future is dim to say the least. I think a spoke in the works will also appear in MB and their PU being on the same premises as anything spelled Renault so it definitely cannot happen during a competition year.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3565824)   #110
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Bernie would like to see Renault either buy up Lotus or return as a works team in their own right.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120304
Old 13 Aug 2015, 16:15 (Ref:3565834)   #111
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Bernie would like to see Renault either buy up Lotus or return as a works team in their own right.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120304
Has he put it on his Christmas wish-list, though?
Old 13 Aug 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3565848)   #112
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Has he put it on his Christmas wish-list, though?
It wouldn't surprise me, like having a 21 race season, or a GP in another country with no motorsport's heritage but who are willing to pay him his fee for joining the F1 Club.

Cynical rant over.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3568042)   #113
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Renault has been talking to Force India.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120454

I can see the logic of that in that they are keeping their options open as to what they do in the future.

There have been a number of ideas being speculated about for Renault. One that I have not seen mentioned is a works engine supply with a team other than Red Bull. To my mind there is one other team that would fit that situation namely Williams. I cannot see the Williams family selling but they would be open to a works partnership. It might be an option that makes sense from both sides. Williams would have the probably the best infrastructure of the non works teams and have shown their ability to work with various engine partners over the years. Renault would not need to pour in as much money as with a works team. However the downside for Renault would be the relative lack of influence at stratagy group level.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3568067)   #114
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A works Williams Renault -- and by works I mean a full effort, bells n' whistles, the whole shebang, no slackin' -- that would be great. Good suggestion WH.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3568092)   #115
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

I can see the logic of that in that they are keeping their options open as to what they do in the future.

There have been a number of ideas being speculated about for Renault. One that I have not seen mentioned is a works engine supply with a team other than Red Bull. To my mind there is one other team that would fit that situation namely Williams. I cannot see the Williams family selling but they would be open to a works partnership. It might be an option that makes sense from both sides. Williams would have the probably the best infrastructure of the non works teams and have shown their ability to work with various engine partners over the years. Renault would not need to pour in as much money as with a works team. However the downside for Renault would be the relative lack of influence at stratagy group level.
Apparently VJ turned them down flat!
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:17 (Ref:3568154)   #116
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

I don't think Renault want to go down that route after the Red Bull experience which they see as the engine manufacturer getting all the blame for poor results and insufficient credit for the success.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3568167)   #117
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams Renault has a nice ring to it, but I don't know if Williams' memory is that bad. They can surely remember back a couple of years ago when they were midfield at best, and while the engine wasn't necessarily the problem, when the same engine was winning multiple championships, why would Williams want to give up the Mercedes rabbit now for the Renault tortoise. An unreliable tortoise at that.

Lotus makes the most sense right now. The chassis looks manageable, and given a financial boost, who knows where they could be. Most likely back at the front of the pack. But there's no denying, Renault need to get their power unit sorted out, otherwise they will likely be taking Lotus backwards.

And I hear Lotus are going cheap at the moment..
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:14 (Ref:3568171)   #118
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Apparently VJ turned them down flat!
Not according to Mallya's reported quotes. Renault seems to be engaging in discussions with various parties, and asking them how they would respond to a request to buy a majority stake in their respective teams. Mallya seems to have responded that he would need to have approval from his business partners, but that they would probably follow his lead.

As he and his partners would probably appreciate diluting their equity in the team, I would imagine that they may well jump at the opportunity if it actually arose.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3568189)   #119
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not according to Mallya's reported quotes. Renault seems to be engaging in discussions with various parties, and asking them how they would respond to a request to buy a majority stake in their respective teams. Mallya seems to have responded that he would need to have approval from his business partners, but that they would probably follow his lead.

As he and his partners would probably appreciate diluting their equity in the team, I would imagine that they may well jump at the opportunity if it actually arose.
Could Merc putting pressure on him to take a merc junior have anything to do with this?

I could quite easily see them suggesting that based on earlier financial troubles and Vijay maybe liking both his current pedallers for different reasons, maybe Renault offers them a more involved partnership at less cost?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3568268)   #120
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Could Merc putting pressure on him to take a merc junior have anything to do with this?

I could quite easily see them suggesting that based on earlier financial troubles and Vijay maybe liking both his current pedallers for different reasons, maybe Renault offers them a more involved partnership at less cost?
FI might appeal because no one expects their car to win so engine deficiencies are not so obvious. I don't buy the hype of Renault buying a team and being a stand alone works team as then they have no one else to blame for their poor PU performance. I can't see any corporation putting their head in that sort of noose. I reckon it is odds on they will pull out and the talk of RB doing a deal with Mercedes adds to that happening. They have not had a competitive motor for some years, why would they suddenly think they could build a motor to run at the front? Mind you the crystal ball is a bit cloudy these days so anything could happen, they might buy RB.!!
Old 24 Aug 2015, 14:34 (Ref:3568275)   #121
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see Renault buying Lotus now, not until the Company goes bust and they buy it cheap from the Liquidator, therefore not having to pay its debts in full. Creditors would just get a penny or so in the Pound. Would save them a fortune.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 15:43 (Ref:3568289)   #122
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whatever Renault felt they lost out in publicity over the past few years they certainly are making up for it through suggestions of buying up or into every 'available' F1 team. are they just dangling their feet or if they are prepared to make a real commitment?

Force India is an intriguing choice. built up established team on a good development path. more importantly there is no real brand or product here that Force India, Mallya or Sahara needs to protect. i can see VJ wanting to be involved but i doubt he requires the same level of control the Williams family would no doubt expect to have?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3568294)   #123
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well perhaps they should consider the old partner, williams plenty of history ther
Old 24 Aug 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3568333)   #124
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I can't see Renault buying Lotus now, not until the Company goes bust and they buy it cheap from the Liquidator, therefore not having to pay its debts in full. Creditors would just get a penny or so in the Pound. Would save them a fortune.
If they did this would that mean tey aren't entitled to any prize money that was due to Lotus?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3568426)   #125
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
If Renault got all the creditors together in a room and explained reality to them, they could probably cobble together a good deal and save everyone the liquidators fees and retain the prize money that Bernie is keeping.
Probably Bernie would be amenable to making an exception with prize money for a manufacturer buying a team too.
Remember the money no longer matters to him!