Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Feb 2004, 00:52 (Ref:863475)   #101
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Nothing said about an accident.
Good to hear.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:05 (Ref:864186)   #102
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a story in the Indy Star this week that Pat Patrick has confirmed that his CART gear is for sale, and that he is looking toward the IRL....

He also said that he has the funds to do it himself, but is working on sponsorship so that he isn't bankrolling the whole thing out of his own pocket...

Any possibilities concerning Giaffone are supposedly gone due to Hollywood's lack of interest in going with an IRL team...

That's the way I understodd it, anyway

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:21 (Ref:864202)   #103
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Tim, an artcle in USA Today, yesterday, left no doubt that he is leaving CART to come to the IRL. It said that he has the money to fund a full season, but is working on a sponsorship deal to help defer some of that cost.

I wonder if it was Penske, or anyone, that convinced him to make the move.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:33 (Ref:864217)   #104
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No, I think it is his age that ultimately convinced him. Surely retirement looms on his horizon, and he just wants to win one more Indy before he calls it a day. He said so himself, in no uncertain terms, in a recent interview that I've read. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Al Jr. team up with him as driver, and perhaps even co-owner. (And for much the same reason!)
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:21 (Ref:864336)   #105
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This whole Patrick deal ON BOTH SIDES has me confused.
Question 1: Why did Patrick pull out of OWRS at this relatively late date...and right after "The Sale"? Is Indy his ONLY motivation or doesn't he have much confidence in OWRS(or more in the IRL/TG)?
Question 2: Could the same "age and wanting to win Indy before I die" thing also apply to Haas?
Just asking.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:36 (Ref:864352)   #106
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose... But Mr. Patrick has a longer history with the Brickyard.
And Mr. Haas is younger.
But that's not to say that he doesn't want to win Indy.
It would be his first, no?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:36 (Ref:864353)   #107
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it maybe a combination of everything mentioned by both macdaddy, and you MLM.

I do think he is fed up with the mis-management of CART, and he has every right to be, but I'm not sure if he means past management, or the present OWRS.

Winning the Indy 500, is still the crown jewel of auto racing, and all attempts made at minimizing its importance is just silly. Any racer, worthy of being called that, wants to win this race. I believe he wants it.

And he is getting on in years, and maybe he sees nothing worth left proving in Champ Cars. I think the older you get, the less tolerance for struggling you have, and Champ Cars survival will be a struggle.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:47 (Ref:864449)   #108
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I suppose... But Mr. Patrick has a longer history with the Brickyard.
And Mr. Haas is younger.
But that's not to say that he doesn't want to win Indy.
It would be his first, no?
Yes it would be CH's 1st and CH isn't that much younger than Patrick (Haas is,I believe, 73). And GP is right...Indy is still an important race to win. You can't really fault anyone for trying to do it before they retire.

When I read GP's quote about OWRS survival being a struggle,I thought I should have posted here what I posted in the "reunification topic" (no, not about beer and wine, Macdaddy ) about how disorganized things seem to be right now.
Maybe Patrick saw that, too as a factor. I just wonder if anyone else will too

You know, I have to tutor a kid @ 17:00, but I have to get gas...maybe I'll pick my up a bottle of Aussie chardonnay or Shiraz (for when I get home afterwards, of course )

Last edited by MLM; 5 Feb 2004 at 19:48.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 20:52 (Ref:865790)   #109
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Other notes:

Indy star says in a brief today that Kelley Racing is close to announcing an Indy 500 ride for Sarah Fisher, and possibly growing it inot a more full-time spot...

Robby Gordon is putting together his own deal for Indy 500, probably with Chevy (Cosworth?) power and is finalizing things so he can announce it next Thursday at Daytona on their Media Day

Old 9 Feb 2004, 00:18 (Ref:867611)   #110
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
More good news:

Red Bull is looking very seriously at running a third car for the Indy 500. Eddie Cheever maybe the driver, or they may bring in someone else. Who could that be?

Cheever also said that he doesn't know and hasn't heard anything about an engine shortage from Chevy, his engine supplier.

This was reported on Speed's web-site.

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Feb 2004, 13:10 (Ref:868193)   #111
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
even more good news: Sarah Fisher looks set to run three races with Kelley Racing. She is apparantly going to take part in "warm up" races in Phoenix and Motegi in preperation for the Indy 500.

http://www.pantherracing.com/phorum/...=10505&t=10505
Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:38 (Ref:868275)   #112
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Do you think that Cheever's "third car" might be the equipment that Robby Gordon will run???

I keep forgetting who John Menard pooled his resoruces and efforts with....he has had a long-time relationship with Robby....Gordon almost won the 1999 Indy 500 driving a Menard car...that's a possibility, too...especially since Robby indicated that his car entry will be tied to a "Bowtie" team...

Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:48 (Ref:868286)   #113
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robby driving a GM car would make sense considering he drives a Chevy in the Nextel Cup series.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:05 (Ref:868300)   #114
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I keep forgetting who John Menard pooled his resoruces and efforts with
Panther. Tomas Scheckter will drive the #4, mark taylor the #2 (Medard's old number)
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:51 (Ref:868351)   #115
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panther are keen on entering a third car for Indy as well. Robby Gordan will probably land a ride with them or Cheever.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 16:03 (Ref:868367)   #116
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good aternatives both IMO.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:868511)   #117
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Hope he gets hooked with Panther....

The people I know in the IRL (with other teams) say that Panther has the best "team" in the series when you compare it to $$$ spent vs. results on the track...

Old 9 Feb 2004, 21:56 (Ref:868817)   #118
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
The IRL web-site, reported that Castoneves was involved in an accident, while practicing for the up-coming IROC race, but thankfully was uninjured.

Also mentioned was the long lost Greg Ray, who is down in Grenada to help put some rare fish BACK in the ocean.(don't ask...) No mention about his race schedule, but its good to know he's alive!

Also a 2 page IRL ad in the upcoming SI Swim Suit edition featuring Helio(lucky man!).

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Feb 2004, 09:33 (Ref:869205)   #119
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Hopefully he isn't going to be the one in the swimsuit

I heard about his IROC crash, there was some speculation about a knee injury but thankfully thats no longer the case.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 10:55 (Ref:869270)   #120
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems likely that Panther had the best team last year, considering what they achieved with the Cosworth. The question is, how much of it was down to Sam? Secondly, now that AGR have a full year's experience, and Penske and Ganassi have learnt more, will they still be able to get the most out of what they have? And thirdly, how underfunded are they compared to the others? Will the financial gulf prove to be too much, especially if Honda and Toyota improve more than Cosworth
Old 10 Feb 2004, 11:02 (Ref:869283)   #121
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I'm quite positive Panther will be right up there again in 2004.

Overall I think this season will be insanely close, with many teams being able to stay up there and fight for wins.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 11:37 (Ref:869325)   #122
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Various edits & updates.... Also added a section for Indy 500 'extras'....

Access Motorsports
-----------------------------------
#1 - Greg Ray, USA
#2 - ?

(Renovac Systems Inc. comes aboard as associate sponsor. Reports suggest the team would like to field a second car if possible.)

Team Conseco Foyt Racing
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA

(Seems the troubles for the NEXTEL Cup team hasn't affected the IndyCar effort, which will be back in full swing for 2004.)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Some rumors suggest, however, that Franchitti is desperately trying to get out of his contract. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver. Archipelago Exchange (ArcaEx) comes aboard as primary sponsor of the #27 driven by Franchitti.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA
#2 - ?

(Robbie Buhl and Purex Detergents (primary co-sponsor) secured for 2004.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - Richie Hearn, USA?

(Lazier out. Hearn in? Sponsor out? Team stepping down to a partial schedule?)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA? (Signed for Homestead, Phoenix & Indy?)

(Al Unser Jr. leaves the team for 2004. Sarah Fisher apparently signed for a three race deal with the team including the Indy 500. Granted sponsorship is found it could develop into a full-time ride.)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - Tora Takagi, JPN
#2 - ?

(Giaffone has lost the Hollywood sponsorship - Mo Nunn racing are apparently talking to Giaffone and are trying to keep him, granted a replacement sponsor can be found.)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

Patrick Racing?
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA?

(Pat Patrick's Champ Car team has been sold - hopes to launch an IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004.)

PDM Racing
#1 - ?

(Ed carpenter is off to Team Cheever. Partial schedule most likely. Driver unknown at this point.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - Ed carpenter, USA

(Going back to a two-car effort for 2004. Alex Barron and Ed Carpenter signed.)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing
#1 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN
#2 - ?

(Matsuura confirmed - Roger Yasukawa out. No word on whether SAFR still are hoping to enter a second car (depending on sponsorship). Team switches to Panoz/G-Force. Might there be a split brewing between Fernandez and Suzuki?)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from CART.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Buddy Rice, USA
#2 - Roger Yasukawa, USA (signed for two races; Motegi & Indy)

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas - Buddy Rice will sub for Kenny until he returns. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured. Argent Mortgage steps up and becomes a primary co-sponsor alongside Pioneer. Yasukawa signs up to do two races with Rahal; Motegi & Indy.)

Indianapolis 500 extras
2nd Team Rahal car - Roger Yasukawa
2nd Kelley car - Sarah Fisher (I reckon all but confirmed)
3rd Team Cheever car - Eddie Cheever?

3rd Penske car? - ?
3rd Ganassi car? - ?
3rd Panther car? - ?
2nd Mo Nunn car? - ?
2nd AJ Foyt car? - ?
2nd Dreyer & Reinbold car? - ?
Greg Beck? - ?
Derrick Walker? - ?
Carl Haas? - Bruno Junqueira?
Sam Schmidt? - ?

And where will Robby Gordon end up?

Other Notes of Interest
- Arie Luyendyk Jr. has gotten a personal sponsor - could possibly be stepping up from IPS?

Last edited by rustyfan; 10 Feb 2004 at 11:45.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 12:12 (Ref:869373)   #123
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Some notes of interested picked up over at www.openwheelracing.com;

- While we know of Pat Patrick's IndyCar plans, including putting Al Unser Jr. behind the wheel, it was, to me at least, new hearing that Rick Galles will be in on the deal as an associate.

- Seems Hollywood might still be a factor as a sponsor after all? According to OWR there are rumors Mo Nunn has turned down an offer from Hollywood because it involves less money than it used to, so we might see Giaffone pop up at another team that is willing to accept the cheaper sponsorship deal.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 12:32 (Ref:869421)   #124
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Robby driving a GM car would make sense considering he drives a Chevy in the Nextel Cup series.
It makes sense, but Gordon did drive the 'factory' Honda last year at Indy

Giaffone could probably get a ride at Foyt, PDM etc... with the money Hollywood will give him, it's just whether it would be worth it or not.

Is Buddy Rice out of a drive once Brack returns? If Brack returns in time for Indy will they run 3 cars?
Old 10 Feb 2004, 12:38 (Ref:869427)   #125
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69

Is Buddy Rice out of a drive once Brack returns? If Brack returns in time for Indy will they run 3 cars?
Hmm, good question there, about Indy. I would imagine so though.

As far as I understand Rahal would love to field a second full-time car for Rice, but it depends on whether they can find sponsorship for him. However, if Rice were to figure in the championship hunt, they'd run that second full-time car regardless of sponsorship.

Personally, and this isn't primarily a stab at Rice as a driver, I don't really think Rahal has the package for Rice become a factor in the championship from the get-go, so I think it will boil down to whether they can find a sponsor or not.

But that question about Indy certainly raises an issue at least I hadn't thought about earlier. I would, however, imagine Rahal is able to field a third car for Indy even if they were unable to secure a sponsor.

Depends, obviously, on how well Rice does in the races leading up to the Indy 500 as well. If he isn't able to produce some good results, I'd say he might as well just be dropped come Indy - IF Kenny at all is ready to come back by then, that is.