Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:25 (Ref:838393)   #101
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
OWRS has the money and ChampCars best interest in mind, which is what Judge Otte is looking for! I'm sure that Mr. Otte will come to the conclusion that TG's only motive is to buy and destroy it....in one way or another!
Good post Dov, exactly.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:11 (Ref:838443)   #102
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Miller was on Indy Radio yesterday saying that if TG buys he will likely continue the series this season, wouldn't want to let the circuits go unused, and then kill it, because irl will be ready next year to pickup a few circuits. But I'm thinking, won't that like totally confuse racing fans even more, because you know, they are easily confused. And who would go see an irl-run cart race, because you can't even get anyone to go see an irl-run irl race.

Robin said he has joined SpeedTV.com, leaving ESPN. Said he may have his own show on speed channel.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:35 (Ref:838472)   #103
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd be surprised how many people would show up, if this just became one series. Besides, could open wheel get more confusing or unimportant than it is now?

Welcome to the forum, SurfaceUnits, you picked a hell of a time!

Cheers

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:38 (Ref:838475)   #104
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
Robin Miller was on Indy Radio yesterday saying that if TG buys he will likely continue the series this season, wouldn't want to let the circuits go unused, and then kill it, because irl will be ready next year to pickup a few circuits. But I'm thinking, won't that like totally confuse racing fans even more, because you know, they are easily confused. And who would go see an irl-run cart race, because you can't even get anyone to go see an irl-run irl race.

Robin said he has joined SpeedTV.com, leaving ESPN. Said he may have his own show on speed channel.
I heard it the other way around, that TG would simply kill it. But I heard it 2nd hand, not from the broadcast itself.
In any case welcome.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:47 (Ref:838681)   #105
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I speak of hype around OWRS I'm refering to all the great stuff PG has promised and his picture of the future. Buzz is everything. Hype is most of what nearly killed CART after 2002.

As for OWRS not having as much capital vs. TG, isn't Forsythe a billionare? Look at what he originally bought his large stake for.

Last edited by Snrub; 15 Jan 2004 at 00:48.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 01:01 (Ref:838694)   #106
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub

As for OWRS not having as much capital vs. TG, isn't Forsythe a billionare? Look at what he originally bought his large stake for.
Snrub, that's what I see. Either TG or OWRS can afford to buy the series. It's not a question of deep pockets, it's a question of who is prepared to spend their money.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 01:02 (Ref:838696)   #107
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, Snrub, I don't think these guys are going to outmoney each other. The purchase price is a drop in the bucket for either. I don't think that's the point. The OWRS release today thumps the tub some more and so hard like these guys are getting a little overwhelmed about what they've gotten themselves into. They've tried first to leverage the stockholders, now they're trying to leverage creditors and promoters and race teams and the like. Sooner or later, someone's going to stand up and say, "wait a minute," like RA did. They're just trying to FORCE too many people into doing things and it's catching up with them, IMO.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 02:43 (Ref:838769)   #108
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of things strike me here. First, Judge Otte doesn't (can't) really care about the future of open wheel racing when he renders his decision. All he can base his decisions in is what is best for the creditors, the discharge of the legal business obligations of C^RT and then the protection of its current investors. The business wishes of OWRS and the IRL for the future aren't even in play unless they can prove that those wishes are in the best interests of the people listed above.

Next, I don't beleive that the IRL is going to make a serious bid for the series. I suspect that if they do they will face an uphill battle if only for the concept that they don't want to make anyone whole (or more whole) they appear to just want to get their competition out of the way.

I said before and believe it, the IRL signed the confidentiality agreement primarily to see the contracts. C^RT had no real choice but to allow it as the IRL could probably get the court to compell C^RT to release the info and had they not done it upon immediate request it would opened the door to delay the auction.

Road America absolutely made the right move in objecting to their contract being one of the assets subject to sale. Now look what happens, the IRL who has openly admitted that they want to go road racing in the future has free reign to review the contract which is truly none of their business. The can see its strengths, its weaknesses, and know what the future holds so that even if OWRS takes the bid the IRL knows where all the chips lie when it comes time to make a competing bid for use of Road America. That is but one example. In my view the confidentiallity agreement is meant to keep this kind of competing eye from seeing these things but TG has played a good hand on this one and thwarted the system. I'm surprised some of the other large racing promoters have not made claim to being interested so they could have a look too.

My prediction is that OWRS will get the assets at auction on the 28th but that there will be no secrets within the industry on the ins and outs of what they bought and how to seriuosly stress them in the future.

Last edited by Flatspot; 15 Jan 2004 at 02:46.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 03:05 (Ref:838783)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am not sure that will be the result flatspot, the spoiler could come from a bid from 88 Corp that is more than the pseudobid from OWRS, which when all is said and done, is likely to be cheaper than competing with that series...
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:04 (Ref:838835)   #110
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
May I ask in reality, what is the difference between TG buying up the assets, killing the series, and running a number of road races that CART ran in the past.

VS.

PG's statement, of buying the series, merging it with IRL, and running a couple of road races that CART ran in the past?

Seems to be about the same net result to me.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:11 (Ref:838839)   #111
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, it may be the case that IRL just wanted to see the paperwork but in this instance, CART has no standing to object. Bear, Stearns sought buyers back in July and called on IMS, Daytona and other entities in racing to see if they wanted to bid then. They did not.

Now CART is bankrupt. It is again "free play" in a different legal scenario for OWRS, IMS, Daytona, Sam's Gas Station or anyone else to sign up and potentially make a qualified bid....whether OWRS is the favored CART suitor by some or not is immaterial to the situation.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 05:24 (Ref:838861)   #112
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive we are saying the same thing indycool. C^RT has no grounds to object and everything is in play for anybody that wants too.

GTR you make a good point. 88 could be the spoiler but I thought I read somewhere that they had decided not to pursue the purchase. Making a prediction and being sure are a long way apart on this deal.

Foglehund, the main difference I see is the formula and what happens in 2004. I don't think TG is prepared to run in '04 and his cars are &#%@ IMHO.

Last edited by Flatspot; 15 Jan 2004 at 05:31.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 06:05 (Ref:838876)   #113
indycool
Veteran

One of ISC's spokesmen said in a story earlier this week that at this time they had no plans to bid. IMO, 88 Corp/ISC's biggest interest is its $2.5 million.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:839240)   #114
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also...

Keep in mind that IRL spokesman Fred nation said that they are carefully reviewing virtually all aspects of these assets, including potential legal ramifications with contracts with suppliers, sponsors, etc., that would remain in force as part of the OWRS buying of CART assets....

When the IRL has finished their perusal of these factors, they may find that the legal risks of lawsuits, etc., is not worth the effort to proceed with a buyout...

That is exactly what Fred Nation said in the Indy Star yesterday...

Let's see what happens on the 23rd and the 28th...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:18 (Ref:839421)   #115
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Billion is 1 thousand million-
Neither Forsythe or TG are listed in the Forbes top 400 (which goes down to 600 million)
But the Frances sure as hell are!
Food for thought.

Last edited by dirtfan; 15 Jan 2004 at 17:19.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 19:22 (Ref:839514)   #116
indycool
Veteran

These people are much more likely to outflank each other in the courtroom than to outmoney each other.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 20:25 (Ref:839567)   #117
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TG isn't listed because the money and assets are within a variety of separate holdings that comprise the late Tony Hulman's estate....

Personally, I don't see the IRL making a bid on this....but it makes good business sense to go in and see what is there concerning assets, etc....a serious bid, especially if it is successful, could open a Pandora's Box for the IRL in various legal actions concerning contracts with suppliers, sponsors, etc, that was part of the buyout OWRS has proposed and put before the court that they might have to alter or break due to conflicts with deals they already have for their own series....

There are so amny issues invovled in this...far more than we may realized....

But I do know this...

a bunch of lawyers are ringing the cash register in Indianapolis this week and next....big time....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 20:56 (Ref:839594)   #118
indycool
Veteran

No kiddin' on the lawyers, Tim.

There are so many issues that could shake out so many different ways that it's impossible to tell.

1. RA's motion to declare its contract not-transferrable because OWRS is incapable of performing, i..e, doen;t have enough race cars. That could change the whole ball of wax dramatically.

2. If the court decides that CART is Chapter 7 instead of Chapter 11, that could change the landscape dramatically.

3. Whether IRL does or does not submit a bid could change things dramatically.

All those elements are going to change the positions of many of the players as this goes along. Time will tell.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 04:20 (Ref:839955)   #119
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My point was not to suggest that there would be a bidding war, but simply that everyone is suggesting OWRS has only a few million to throw around vs. 'the money' of TG who is suppose to be so powerfull. How much money does TG have to spend on the IRL in reality? The France Family/ISC might try to thwart CART by not letting them use their tracks, but do they really have any use in killing CART? I don't see them pushing extremely hard to kill CART. Let's TG or ISC put in an offer on some CART assets, surely OWRS can outbid them by raising it from firesale to reasonable price.

You've got a point Indycool about OWRS forcing people to do stuff. It has seemed like they are doing their darnest to make everything go exactly the way they would have it. It's too idealistic, just like the hype and tub thumping, especially for guys who claim to be so much the epidomy of 'businessmen'.

Last edited by Snrub; 16 Jan 2004 at 04:21.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 07:39 (Ref:840031)   #120
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Could somebody take a moment and, in layman's terms, describe the differences between Chapters 7 and 11 for me? Thanx.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 08:12 (Ref:840046)   #121
indycool
Veteran

Macdaddy, I'm no lawyer but my understanding is this. CART has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which means that the company expects to get its affairs in order, work out a plan with creditors to emerge and start forward again. Chapter 7 is involuntary bankruptcy, meaning the judge declares the company insolvent and hopeless and orders a liquidation of assets to pay creditors.

In this instance, because CART has agreed to sell its assets to OWRS and this particular CART company (of two) would therefore have no revenue stream to emerge and live from, the judge COULD order Chapter 7, nullifying the OWRS bid and throwing CART's assets open to auction, piece by piece, to OWRS, IRL or Sam's Gas Station.

The judge will make that determination based on what's best for creditors and secondarily, shareholders. What's best for OWRS or a racing series is at best third priority.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 08:16 (Ref:840050)   #122
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Again, thanx.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 10:53 (Ref:840189)   #123
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Putting your money onto the stock-market is like gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. In this instance, people lost. TS, they just have to deal with it.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 11:19 (Ref:840220)   #124
indycool
Veteran

F1, bankruptcy takes care of creditors first, then shareholders,
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:59 (Ref:843277)   #125
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
A good read, (good enough to link you to!), from Robin Miller...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/9400/

He takes a look at some of the scenerios we're facing.