Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1250054)   #101
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beg to Differ, i think in the 60's and 70's, the most talented drivers were on formula 1.

It was easy enough to get sponsors dollars to go racing, so all the top drivers were in formula 1. Ok, there were a couple of pay drivers, but most of them were still much more talented then your average 2005 pay driver.

I would say that the worst pay drivers would be in the period from about 1977-78 onwards... before that time... all the skilled people were racing.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 05:00 (Ref:1250065)   #102
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pD F1
I can't judge on Esteban Tuero as he was very young and was only in F1 for a season - 1998
Good decision. Tuero is running his own team in the TC2000 Argentinian Touring car series, and with a very small budget he managed to do two podiums last year. Like somebody said to other driver, Tuero is a good driver with talent, but not great.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1250081)   #103
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I beg to Differ, i think in the 60's and 70's, the most talented drivers were on formula 1.

It was easy enough to get sponsors dollars to go racing, so all the top drivers were in formula 1. Ok, there were a couple of pay drivers, but most of them were still much more talented then your average 2005 pay driver.

I would say that the worst pay drivers would be in the period from about 1977-78 onwards... before that time... all the skilled people were racing.
Well, I'm not so sure about that. Sponsorship didn't exist at all in the 1960s and teams relied on the 'patronage' of well to do individuals who liked the status or folly of motor racing. They could decide who to place in the cars and that invariably was somebody with enough money to fund themselves through the junior ranks... which was by no means cheap.

Also, F1 was much lower in profile and there was no such thing as superlicence qualification. I would love to be able to name names... but if I do, I'll likely get a wall of abuse from nostalgia junkies.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1250225)   #104
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about Larini what ever happened to him His 5 races with Sauber weren't that bad even if he wasn't that close to Herbert's pace. He did no worse than Morbidelli and Fontana.

Other drivers I forgot to mention Enrico Bertaggia and Naoki Hattori
Old 12 Mar 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1250290)   #105
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
Talking about Larini what ever happened to him His 5 races with Sauber weren't that bad even if he wasn't that close to Herbert's pace. He did no worse than Morbidelli and Fontana.

Larini quit Sauber because he felt he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip - they saw him as "Ferrari's man" rather than their own choice.

He's racing this season for Chevrolet in the new World Touring Car Championship.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1250293)   #106
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Well, I'm not so sure about that. Sponsorship didn't exist at all in the 1960s and teams relied on the 'patronage' of well to do individuals who liked the status or folly of motor racing. They could decide who to place in the cars and that invariably was somebody with enough money to fund themselves through the junior ranks... which was by no means cheap.

Also, F1 was much lower in profile and there was no such thing as superlicence qualification. I would love to be able to name names... but if I do, I'll likely get a wall of abuse from nostalgia junkies.
This is very true, and I'd say the guys on the grid this year are all considerably better than the worst guys of the past. The only drivers who got into F1 despite Sueprlicence issues in the mdoern era were Perry McCarthy (whos CV was poor due to back luck and a lack of funding, not a lack fo talent) and Kimi Raikkonen, who's definitely the worst driver ever....
Old 12 Mar 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1250328)   #107
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic

Other drivers I forgot to mention Enrico Bertaggia and Naoki Hattori

I'm amazed that Nakano hasn't been mentioned much. He scored two points for Prost in 1997, O.K it was his first season, but the '97 Prost was a decent car, Trulli put it 3rd on the grid and lead for half the race in Austria and Panis finished 2nd in Spain, giving Jacques a scare too as he was catching him in the latter laps, held up by Irvine. Nakano was miles off the pace and his 1998 performance also proved that.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1250336)   #108
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nakano wasn't a bad driver. He was unspectular but he had some good races. I mean his 1st few races were showing him more off the road then on but he did have a few good races. His best race by far was Hungary when he matched the pace of Irvine and eventually knocked him out . Remember that Prost was not a fan of Shinji. Minardi was average. He could of scored in Canada. The car wasn't really good enough to make any surprises. He wasn't miles off the pace. Rosset won the award that year
Old 12 Mar 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1250354)   #109
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
within the last decade....

diniz was one of the most dangerous drivers

v. sospri was the least talented

villeneuve was the most undeserved champion
Old 12 Mar 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1250369)   #110
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No world champion is "undeserved"
Old 12 Mar 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1250378)   #111
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon
Schumacher 1994?

By the way, do you think FIA/FISA was somewhat irresponsible to hand a superlicense to Riccardo Paletti?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 12 Mar 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1250380)   #112
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
By the way, do you think FIA/FISA was somewhat irresponsible to hand a superlicense to Riccardo Paletti?

Why?
Old 12 Mar 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1250388)   #113
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Common driving skills?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 12 Mar 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1250399)   #114
Kicking-back
Veteran

He was no worse than many others who got superlicences.

Or are you over dramatising his case because he was killed?
Old 12 Mar 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1250431)   #115
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delatraz, Delatraz, A thousand times Delatraz
Old 12 Mar 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1250462)   #116
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Please tell me your joking? He was a good driver, not excellent but still very good. Seeing him battling the Lola in a straight line at santa pod showed he had a degree of skill unlike many others mentioned on this thread.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1250466)   #117
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ricardo Rossett tried hard, but unfortunately couldn't show his talent he gave in F3000, where he finished a good 2nd.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1250583)   #118
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
within the last decade....

diniz was one of the most dangerous drivers

Diniz... interesting guy ! Do you know how wealthy he [his family] is ? His mansion is next door to my company's affiliate in Sao Paolo and its like a castle. Everyone travels in/out by helicopter.

I have to contend with the Sospiri claim. He was a former 100cc world karting champion [1987] and totally dominated the kart scene in/around then. Afterwards he took the strange [for an Italian] step into British FF1600 and won the 1988 Formula Ford festival. He also won two Formula Vauxhall Lotus championships in the early 1990s and the 1995 International F3000 championship. By any standard this is evidence of incredible talent.
Having been a fan of his since his karting days, I really felt he would have kicked a$$ in F1 and thought his testing days with Benetton would have helped him into a race drive. It was not to be. He got the worst break possible with the Mastercard Lola and didn't stand a chance. He didn't manage to get a drive in anything else at the top league. I think few would disagree that he was one that got away.

Its true that there are no undeserving world champions, but Williams' cars have flattered talent and more than helped people, who ordinarily would have struggled to the title, to easily take it.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1250687)   #119
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anthony Davidson.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1250689)   #120
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Also Sospiri sat on the front row first time out in the Indy 500 , so he does have an impressive resume but it just didnt work for him in F1
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1250690)   #121
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Juan
Anthony Davidson.

Pray-tell why?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1250691)   #122
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Pray-tell why?
I think his performances in Hungary and Belgium speak for themselves!
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1250696)   #123
Kicking-back
Veteran

14th fastest race lap in a Minardi wasn't it?

Sounds good to me.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1250703)   #124
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I know this is off-topic, but I was thinking about Monaco 1982 a few nights ago. It looked like Patrese recieved outside assistance when he rejoined after the spin, so presumably they should've stopped scoring the car.
According to Riccardo "I was very cautious when I came to Loews, but I couldn't control it and I spun. Afterwards someone objected that the marshals had pushed me. I didn't feel any push. I think they pulled me back a little, as I was in an unsafe position, stuck in the middle of the track. Then they let go. The moment I released the brakes the car started to roll. I went down the hill, let the car get some speed, grabbed second gear and it started - with the Cosworth it was always quite easy to do a bump start."
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1250715)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Juan
Anthony Davidson.
On what basis?