Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1670323)   #101
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard Hammond is still on Top Gear after eight seasons. I'm irritated.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1670341)   #102
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a fan of mr hammond?
Is it because he is called Richard?
I like him Especially after his W----- comment!
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1670350)   #103
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just find him annoying. He tries too much to be like Jeremy.

There can only be one Clarkson.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1670401)   #104
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank goodness.....!
Old 1 Aug 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1670418)   #105
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BBC in Common Sense shocker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5235334.stm

Quote:
Viewers who are offended by jokes on motoring show Top Gear must accept such remarks will remain "an integral part of the programme"
Old 1 Aug 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1670429)   #106
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, James May is the start of the show. Not sure what it is about him, I just find him very funny.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1670553)   #107
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

James is a class act, he really is.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1670670)   #108
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Way to go Beeb - finally!

I have to say, part of the fun of watching it is going "oooh there'll be complaints about that one"

I like Hammond. However, can anyone confirm if they've ever seen him and David Tennant in the same room as I'm convinced they're actually the same person.

The thing is that the three of them together work extremely well as a format. The older world weary sarcy one, the boy racery one and the upper crust one. It's sort of like "Last of the Summer Wine - the Next Generation"
Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1670689)   #109
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
It's sort of like "Last of the Summer Wine - the Next Generation"
"First Of The Summer Wine" surely
Old 2 Aug 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1670738)   #110
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
For me, James May is the start of the show. Not sure what it is about him, I just find him very funny.
Whenever they do one of those races against Clarkson, watch to see how annoyed May gets Hammond. Like the one of the McLaren Merc to Oslo - he keeps asking questions of the chcek-in lady as to what spec Boeing they are on and when they arrive at the ferry starts talking nautically. To the point where Hammond says "if you demand to be piped aboard you're going over".
Old 4 Aug 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1673024)   #111
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I much prefer Clarkson and Hammond to Mr. May, in my opinion he's not very funny at all.

I have to say, at times Clarkson goes over the top with his comments. Everyone knows he's joking around but some of it is just generally unfunny. At least Hammond keeps his humour in the middle range; funny, but not insulting.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Aug 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1673061)   #112
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It seems to me that most non-Brits who watch Top Gear don't seem to appreciate James May as much.

I agree with what safc_fan89 said.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1673439)   #113
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I much prefer Clarkson and Hammond to Mr. May, in my opinion he's not very funny at all.

I have to say, at times Clarkson goes over the top with his comments. Everyone knows he's joking around but some of it is just generally unfunny. At least Hammond keeps his humour in the middle range; funny, but not insulting.
Clarkson gets a reaction though. And amongst the exaggeration is usually a valid, stonewall point. You gain better understanding through reading his excellent books and various columns.

Hammond is unfunny, trendy, squawky and a brat frankly.

May comes across as really rather dour, but he's a mans man apparently. I think he's great. Do you really want to go back to series one and Jason Dawe's second hand car bargains section? I mean, please!

As EP says...the show works with the three of them perfectly! So don't change it please BBC.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1673879)   #114
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the show (clarkson is a dill thou) and just watched an episode on BBC world on cable with Hammond racing a Porsche Cayenne against a flying squirrel.....Brits how old is that one ?
Old 5 Aug 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1674126)   #115
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder why we have to be 18 months behind shows on the BBC...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Aug 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1674164)   #116
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieV8
Love the show (clarkson is a dill thou) and just watched an episode on BBC world on cable with Hammond racing a Porsche Cayenne against a flying squirrel.....Brits how old is that one ?

That's not that IIRC, shown just before the world cup i think?
Old 5 Aug 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1674165)   #117
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That was shown 28th May 2006 in the UK accoring to tv.com.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1674179)   #118
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
It seems to me that most non-Brits who watch Top Gear don't seem to appreciate James May as much.
I like May a lot. He's funny in a different way to Clarkson and Hammond; instead of the "clear" joke he's more "ironic".

I have to say though that, although I like the show a lot in its present format, I still miss Tiff and the lovely *ejem* VBH from time to time.

Quote:
And count yourself as part of the lucky ones. This season there seemed to be a problem licensing the show in north america therefore BBC World isn't showing it there. And apparently whatever is shown in North America is shown in the rest of the continet therefore I haven't been able to watch a single episode.

Thanks to youtube I've been able to watch part of the shows though. BTW, if anyone could provide me of the list of tests during Top Gear's last season so I can look for them in youtube I'll be very grateful.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1674182)   #119
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Sharky, I also missed Tiff.

But after watching an episode of Fifth gear last week, in which Tiff drives a McLaren F1 GTR and a Ferrari Enzo, I found myself not liking him at all. He got carried away a bit much. His performance was, shall we say, a bit homo-erotic.

However, I still miss Jeremies criticism of Tiffs shirts and the awesome car control.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1674186)   #120
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

This is the Tiff I miss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k7fmK5U56DQ

And Quentin Wilson too!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1674608)   #121
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you have Foxtel the episodes on BBC World are pretty up to date (but chopped up into a half hour only program)

SBS shows the full episodes, but as you mention are quite a while behind (as as i've got Foxtel, i've seen most of them anyway)
Old 6 Aug 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1674624)   #122
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I don't which I would prefer, having a half hour up to date episode, or a 50 minute, very funny delayed episode.

I think the more Top Gear you see, the better.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1675425)   #123
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Now I miss him even more. Not sure he would fit in with the current, more humor-oriented format though.

But VBH could....
Old 9 Aug 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1678372)   #124
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't which I would prefer, having a half hour up to date episode, or a 50 minute, very funny delayed episode.

I think the more Top Gear you see, the better.
yeah have to agree but then I do like 5th Gear as well as Viki isn't a bad sort..
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1687119)   #125
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When does the next series of Top Gear start? I wish they would make a series last longer than 6 episodes!