Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Sep 2007, 19:17 (Ref:2022892)   #101
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be interesting to see who drives the cars in Bahrain - there's 24 cars available. Perhaps they'll invite the Ozzies to give them a go!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2022911)   #102
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my mates has been invited to crew a vehicle!! They are looking for people with "proper" stockcar experience.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2023551)   #103
T'internet Yogi
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hove
T'internet Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When GP2 asia expands its calender they should follow, right? So that's another GP support race for a start...Singapore maybe? Stock cars at night!
Just liek America.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2023573)   #104
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'internet Yogi
When GP2 asia expands its calender they should follow, right? So that's another GP support race for a start...Singapore maybe? Stock cars at night!
Just liek America.
Except none of our stock car series have had a street race since about 2000 when the regional NASCAR Southwest series raced in the streets surrounding the Sports Arena and Coliseum in Los Angeles. I must've been too young to have actually heard anything on the grapevine there, but I'd think they would've been a little miffed about a concrete-lined double-hairpin in the middle of a car park.

But it'd be interesting to see if Speedcar does become a support at the Singapore GP. If they'll be adding some, if any runoff (as is the fad with these GP circuits these days), it could actually end up being a clean race. But if it's almost completely lined on the sides with barriers, hmmm....
Old 26 Sep 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2023688)   #105
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhead1
Except none of our stock car series have had a street race since about 2000 when the regional NASCAR Southwest series raced in the streets surrounding the Sports Arena and Coliseum in Los Angeles.
CASCAR (and NASCAR Canadian Tyre Series as it is now) runs on a street circuit.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2023692)   #106
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
CASCAR (and NASCAR Canadian Tyre Series as it is now) runs on a street circuit.
You mean Trois-Rivieres? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_...an_Tire_Series
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2024599)   #107
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnTT
You mean Trois-Rivieres?
Nope

http://www.nascarlocalracing.com/con...p?Series_ID=28
Old 27 Sep 2007, 23:21 (Ref:2024743)   #108
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Only two 'street' courses, are Trois-Rivieres, and Edmonton...
Old 28 Sep 2007, 07:32 (Ref:2024911)   #109
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Edmonton is an airport? Montreal is a park,that leaves Trois Rivieres as the only Street circuit on this Canadian NASCAR schedule?
Old 29 Sep 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2025873)   #110
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Surely Edmonton is an airport? Montreal is a park,that leaves Trois Rivieres as the only Street circuit on this Canadian NASCAR schedule?
Trois Rivieres is a street circuit. Silly me confused it with some other canadian permenant track ...

Anyway, street circuits have been done for stock cars, and if the cars are hard enough to take Bristol type punishment I feel sure they could race around a street track.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 13:37 (Ref:2029893)   #111
chemhead1
Racer

United States
CASCAR has done support back with the Molson Indy races at Vancouver and Toronto, IIRC.

Note that all of these series being mentioned (NASCAR Southwest, CASCAR/Canadian Tire) as raced on street circuits, not exactly similar in dimensions to the Cup-styled cars being planned for Speedcar.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 13:39 (Ref:2029894)   #112
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Anyone think that some ovals would be good to have on the schedule? Of course such events would be seperate from Gp2 asia.

Motegi - so long as the weather holds out. Support event for the IRL maybe?

Phakisa - South African track that held the MotoGP until 3 years ago. Has a 1.5 mile tri-oval. Fits in with the winter schedule. As could...

Puebla - Mexican 1.3 mile oval.

Rockingham/Eurospeedway - Season starter or finisher. Like Zandvoort/Brands with A1GP.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 3 Oct 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2029895)   #113
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
CASCAR has done support back with the Molson Indy races at Vancouver and Toronto, IIRC.

Note that all of these series being mentioned (NASCAR Southwest, CASCAR/Canadian Tire) as raced on street circuits, not exactly similar in dimensions to the Cup-styled cars being planned for Speedcar.
The NASCAR Mexico/Canada/West/East are spec cars with Dodge/Ford/Chevy etc bodyshells arent they?
Old 3 Oct 2007, 20:24 (Ref:2030244)   #114
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
The NASCAR Mexico/Canada/West/East are spec cars with Dodge/Ford/Chevy etc bodyshells arent they?
I know the Canadian cars are REALLY boxy, and are a LOT slower than the American cars. Can't say anything about the Mexican ones though.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 20:32 (Ref:2030250)   #115
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think the Canadian cars are far more easy on the eye than Cup cars. Who makes them?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 02:13 (Ref:2030428)   #116
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I know the Canadian cars are REALLY boxy, and are a LOT slower than the American cars. Can't say anything about the Mexican ones though.
CASCAR and the Mexican series used similar cars that were actually boxy, but made some good racing. After NASCAR absorbed these two, they're hoping to make a single chassis formula for these two series and regional series in the U.S. It's one of the moves I'm actually looking forward to. Not sure about what bodystyle these will resemble (CASCAR's old formula or something like Busch cars).
Old 4 Oct 2007, 03:49 (Ref:2030469)   #117
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Anyone think that some ovals would be good to have on the schedule? Of course such events would be seperate from Gp2 asia.

Motegi - so long as the weather holds out. Support event for the IRL maybe?

Phakisa - South African track that held the MotoGP until 3 years ago. Has a 1.5 mile tri-oval. Fits in with the winter schedule. As could...

Puebla - Mexican 1.3 mile oval.

Rockingham/Eurospeedway - Season starter or finisher. Like Zandvoort/Brands with A1GP.
Bob Jane is talking about refurbishing the Calder Park Thunderdome in Australia as well. Where better for an oval Speedcar race, considering the 'Dome hosted the first ever NASCAR race outside of the USA.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2030947)   #118
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Bob Jane is talking about refurbishing the Calder Park Thunderdome in Australia as well. Where better for an oval Speedcar race, considering the 'Dome hosted the first ever NASCAR race outside of the USA.
Looks like a good track - was that the exhibition event a few years ago or earlier than that?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 03:18 (Ref:2035489)   #119
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
That's great news to hear. The ol' Dome could sure use a reeeeal nice repaving and probably a brand spankin' new SAFER barrier! Give some of these Speedcar guys a REAL track to take these beasts on!

Also, don't quote me on this, but don't the CASCAR and Mexican series (like SCSA) use composite bodies instead of sheet metal? And isn't that what Speedcar is doing as well?

Last edited by chemhead1; 9 Oct 2007 at 03:23.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 18:04 (Ref:2037066)   #120
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Also, don't quote me on this, but don't the CASCAR and Mexican series (like SCSA) use composite bodies instead of sheet metal? And isn't that what Speedcar is doing as well?
I think that is the case.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 02:34 (Ref:2039593)   #121
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think that is the case.
In that case, and seeing that all of these aforementioned series (IIRC) have similar engine packages (not sure on which are Fuel Injected (Speedcar) and which aren't), in a sense Speedcar is running a, erm, "regional" car with a Cup body. Which is a real shame, TBH. For something that's supposed to have a bit of an international appeal to it, you would think that they would add something, ANYTHING to these cars that would really make it different from other stockcar series.

Thinking back on this, my personal feeling would be that if they had maybe put some real heavy development into this, they could've tried this with a car similar to those built by Riley & Scott for the stillborn TRAC series. Some kind of in-between between NASCAR-style bodies and Trans-Am/GT-1 bodies.

Or even more interesting would've been acquiring some IROC Pontiac Firebirds and developing them from there.

Either way, Speedcar hasn't come off to me as something to look forward to for the near future of motorsport. As far as I'm concerned, Speedcar is:

- a pretty thinly veiled attempt to piggyback the international popularity that stockcar racing has been getting lately and possibly even trying to wick it away from a certain popular U.S. series, and....

- yet another scheme by Bernie Ecclestone and a group of investors who would otherwise have absolutely nothing to do with these "good ol' boys" who participate in the type of racing these men are trying to sell us to squeeze more money out of the Asian economy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the drivers and crew members taking part. I'd love nothing more than to see more people halfway around the world enjoying the same kind of racing that people like me and those around the town have grown up with. But it just seems like it's being created for all the wrong reasons. I mean, how many Dubai or Bahrain locals would jump at the chance to see a NASCAR-like event and then compare that to those wanting to see this in person in the Americas or Europe or Oceania.

It's a shame that the closest real fans who genuinely love this kind of racing will get to this without going in the thousands of dollars for the trip are the few test/PR days they had at VIRginia International Raceway.

Part of me thinks that maybe, MAYBE, the only reason they're just visiting these tracks is that they want to tag it along to GP2 Asia just to get the name out there and only then will they actually want to go where the fans want to see it. I guess I'm just not feeling that optomistic today.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2042975)   #122
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All 2007 rounds cancelled... so only 5 races left.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2042999)   #123
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Ecclestone's Formula One Management (FOM) supplies TV feed.
http://www.speedcarseries.com/news/index.php?newsid=24
Old 17 Oct 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2043081)   #124
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
I can almost hear my 8th grade history teacher Mr. Ortiz going:

AND SO IT BEGINS...

Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2043095)   #125
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Nevermind. Alesi can always hire a CAMSO V8 if he wants.