Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:02 (Ref:1886741)   #101
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most of the drivers flags are wrong. Wilson has been shown as American, Legge as French
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1886744)   #102
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I hope that for next year they can have some grading done on the approach to that underpass, so they can remove the chicane.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1886745)   #103
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
For 17 cars, this has been pretty darn good. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've seen less exciting green-flag runs in NASCAR, so I'm not complaining.
"Pretty sure"? You're too kind (some of the green flag runs this year has been rather boring, to say the least)

Then again, with the Cup races on average being around 4 hours rather than a timed 105-minute sprint it might not be fair to compare the two.

I agree that the race has been good so far, better than I expected.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1886747)   #104
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
I hope that for next year they can have some grading done on the approach to that underpass, so they can remove the chicane.
They would need to get rid of that tunnel divider at the pit lane entry before even thinking about getting rid of the chicane. No energy absorbing barrier/material in the world would save a driver smashing into that divider at top speed.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:14 (Ref:1886751)   #105
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damn, Pagenaud in trouble.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1886753)   #106
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The TV coverage sounds like the worst ever - elementary things like driver nationalities shouldn't be wrong, especially for experienced guys like Justin.

The race seems farcicial as well, a succession of incidents, yellows, and mechanical problems. This should have been the season when ChampCar established itself as the top US OW series - that looks unlikely now.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1886754)   #107
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tags with gear trouble too
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1886755)   #108
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The race seems farcicial as well, a succession of incidents, yellows, and mechanical problems. This should have been the season when ChampCar established itself as the top US OW series - that looks unlikely now.
Teething problems. Look at GP2 when it started
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1886756)   #109
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Its a street track , what do you expect a full green race ???

come on some people are being abit harsh I think , Im qiute enjoying this
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1886759)   #110
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's been far from a farce. Yes, there were too many yellows at the start, but after that it hasn't been any worse than any other street circuit race and the race action has been pretty good with several passes and pretty close racing.

As for establishing itself as the top series, there is only one way for that to happen, but this isn't the time nor the place to get into that neverending discussion again
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1886762)   #111
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the track heaps and especially the nice climb coming out of the tunnel.

Impressed by Coyne Racing, Gommendy, Power and Tagliani.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1886763)   #112
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was fearing the worst at first, but it is a bit more settled now.

It has been merely OK.

Enforcing testing restrictions to, what, seven days is a bit ludicrous with such a new car though. Niggling problems are really not needed with such a small field and with three races in quick succession these are nervous times.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1886765)   #113
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new car looks great too. The cars don't look or sound much different than the last Indycar from 1995.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1886768)   #114
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah, it looks and sounds nice that's for sure.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1886771)   #115
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Looks pretty good, but it's too narrow IMHO - looks too "European".
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1886772)   #116
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I love the wine bottle pitboard for team aussie
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1886774)   #117
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Looks pretty good, but it's too narrow IMHO - looks too "European".
I think the final width dimensions of the panoz are not that far off the lola.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1886780)   #118
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Congratulations to Will Power on winning the first race of the 2007 Champ Car season.

Good race - both the racing and the track itself was better than I expected.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1886782)   #119
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well done Will Power.

Cynical advertising from PT there!
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:59 (Ref:1886783)   #120
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Why does Jani seem to have the Chinese flag by his name?

Anything to do with the fact Switzerland is CH on number plates etc and the Americans don't know CH is Switzerland?
I'm just amazed they've heard of China.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1886792)   #121
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ya power!
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1886800)   #122
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic race! Great for Power to finally get one, albeit in a high attrition race, but he's destroyed pretty much all the opposition during the weekend anyway.

Power & Tracy: Both had their pitstop problems, Tracy being worse off. Could have been a good battle between the two of them if Tracy hadn't been forced to pit again towards the end, but I fear that they might have taken eachother out instead!

Doornbos: Solid debute from Robert. Nothing too spectacular, but he did well.

Tagliani: Seemed to be flying at times! Strategy didn't seem to work out? Impressive race none the less.

Gommendy: Don't you just love it when people bash him, and he then puts in such a good preformance?

Legge: While she would have been lucky to hold on to third, she drove a solid race and it wouldn't have been undeserved.

Junqueira: Another unlucky driver who could have finished well.

Figge: Two spins, one of which I saw on TV. The one I saw seemed a bit clumpsy, but atleast he brought it home.

Dominguez: Must have had troubles early on? Lost something like ten laps which put him out of the running.

Neel Jani: Another solid debute, unlucky to experience mechanical problems.

Dalziel: Well, how about a solid debute? Did well before he too ran in to mechanical problems.

Pagenaud: Impressive debute, I have to say. Unlucky to loose out because of, again, mechanical problems, but many did today!

Bourdais: He was quick, but his retirement actually seemed to be his own doing (they never showed a replay, but the damage on the car sure indicated so). Could have won!

Wilson: Actually didn't impress that much before his car broke down.

Clarke: I don't know, but it seemed a bit clumpsy to chuck it into the wall just like that?

Halliday: A spin or something early on, can't actually remember. Didn't get to show much.

Rahal: Seemed caught out by the other cars at the start - his contact with the wall looked like a rookie mistake actually.

Servia: A pleasant surpirse - in the broadcasting booth! Had several good things to say and could very well be a professional co-commentator!

Team Australia: Well, they really seem to have figured it out, do they?

The track: Awesome.

The Panoz: Pretty many mechanical problems, but that was probably expected. If they work those out this season will be great!

All in all, very enjoyable race!
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1886801)   #123
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Damn, Pagenaud in trouble.
I was also disapointed about Pagenaud who seemed to be putting together a nice race and might have challenged Power if he didn't run into trouble.

I was hoping Legge had a better finish, she was driving well and I thought she would make it to the podium, ahh snap, she didn't make it...

Congrats to Power, he looked strong all day and I think Tracy has clearly petered out and MIGHT have overstayed his welcome in open wheel, but as the season on folds we see if I'm right.

Bourdais will be back as Newman-Haas is the best team on the grid, but they might have to actually "work" for a 4th championship.

Last edited by dj4monie; 8 Apr 2007 at 22:23.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1886806)   #124
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Full results are on the first page of this thread

Last edited by marcus; 8 Apr 2007 at 23:11.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1886829)   #125
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to Will Power!! Great job and lets hope this is the first of many .