Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jan 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4027027)   #1301
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
All great, hopefully that sorts that then!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 17:39 (Ref:4027031)   #1302
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Why?

There are NO restrictions on working - only on social mixing.
Why - because I doubt circuits want another year behind closed doors and I imagine many teams/driver budgets are based on a) hospitality guests and b) Being part of an 'event' with the public.

Closed door events are a force majeure, not a business model that many want or can afford to repeat. The longer you delay, the more people are vaccinated, the greater likelihood of a more normal evet being allowed.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4027032)   #1303
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
All great but the current restrictions only don’t apply to working, and marshalling isn’t that so the point is that under the new laws you couldn’t leave home to do it.

Unless it was accepted as “work” which maybe could bring in all sorts of issues, although I’m not sure.
Marshalling is "unpaid work", so is work. It's also volunteering. You can leave home to do work or voluntary work that can't be done from home.

So marshals can marshal, the current lockdown rules do not prevent that.

(If you read the small print and interpret like a lawyer then there are a number of justifiable reasons to be out the house.)
Old 5 Jan 2021, 18:18 (Ref:4027034)   #1304
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Marshalling is "unpaid work", so is work. It's also volunteering. You can leave home to do work or voluntary work that can't be done from home.

So marshals can marshal, the current lockdown rules do not prevent that.

(If you read the small print and interpret like a lawyer then there are a number of justifiable reasons to be out the house.)
Couldn't the marshalling be done via Zoom, after all at the GP you are so removed from the cars you might as well be at home.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4027046)   #1305
Lee TinTop
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lee TinTop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The lockdown is only till the middle of February, the season doesn’t start to spring. So we will see where we are come February
I've just published a Q&A interview with Alan Gow on Tin Top Racing UK

"TTRUK:
You’ve previously described last season as living on a knife edge with regards to completing it, and that you’ve all missed having the fans trackside.
Will the 2021 season start as scheduled even if fans can’t attend again initially, obviously allowing for the fact that government decisions could take that choice out of your hands?
Alan:
All our planning is on spectators and team guests being able to attend from the beginning, obviously within whatever government directives are in place regarding social-distancing etc., but we just have to react to what we are presented with…it’s out of our hands. However all indications are that by Easter the government will allow an amount of spectators back to watch sports. But let’s see….it’s ever evolving…"
Old 5 Jan 2021, 20:39 (Ref:4027058)   #1306
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee TinTop View Post
"However all indications are that by Easter the government will allow an amount of spectators back to watch sports."
When was the interview? If it was more than 24 hours ago then those indications are not worth a whole lot.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 07:45 (Ref:4027095)   #1307
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee TinTop View Post
I've just published a Q&A interview with Alan Gow on Tin Top Racing UK

"TTRUK:
You’ve previously described last season as living on a knife edge with regards to completing it, and that you’ve all missed having the fans trackside.
Will the 2021 season start as scheduled even if fans can’t attend again initially, obviously allowing for the fact that government decisions could take that choice out of your hands?
Alan:
All our planning is on spectators and team guests being able to attend from the beginning, obviously within whatever government directives are in place regarding social-distancing etc., but we just have to react to what we are presented with…it’s out of our hands. However all indications are that by Easter the government will allow an amount of spectators back to watch sports. But let’s see….it’s ever evolving…"
Apparently when Boris met the back bench 1922 committee last night to brief them, they learned that the legislation covering the current lockdown covers until the 31st of March.....After which MP's get to vote on what is in place next.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4027096)   #1308
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
When was the interview? If it was more than 24 hours ago then those indications are not worth a whole lot.
It was posted on their FB on 4th of Jan 7pm, before the next lockdown was announced at 8pm.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 08:25 (Ref:4027100)   #1309
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
...hmmm.

So for spectators it's dress up as woodland creatures and hide in the undergrowth I suspect.

Would imagine dates will slide if it looks more likely that guests will be allowed in later in the year.

But as Mr G hasn't got a crystal ball I imagine stuff will stay planned as is and it'll be a game of wait and see.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 08:37 (Ref:4027102)   #1310
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
It was posted on their FB on 4th of Jan 7pm, before the next lockdown was announced at 8pm.
Indeed, however the actual interview could have been done several days prior to that. This feels like where we were back in March last year - the situation is rapidly evolving. It's all very well TOCA staying that they are planning to start the season as normal with spectators and hospitality, but too many people will get fooled into thinking that will definitely happen. I don't think anyone can accurately predict where we will be in 3 weeks time let alone 3 months time.

It's a bit like the comments in this thread from people quoting the govt website about what you can and can't do in terms of race meetings and getting marshals. Those are the rules as at today, which were different from the rules a week ago, and may well be different again in a week from now.

Sorry if I'm being overly negative.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4027110)   #1311
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Indeed, however the actual interview could have been done several days prior to that. This feels like where we were back in March last year - the situation is rapidly evolving. It's all very well TOCA staying that they are planning to start the season as normal with spectators and hospitality, but too many people will get fooled into thinking that will definitely happen. I don't think anyone can accurately predict where we will be in 3 weeks time let alone 3 months time.

It's a bit like the comments in this thread from people quoting the govt website about what you can and can't do in terms of race meetings and getting marshals. Those are the rules as at today, which were different from the rules a week ago, and may well be different again in a week from now.

Yep, that's why if it were me I would make calendar changes now to get right out of the more uncertain window, it would also give others the chance to reorganise their calendars, as many of the circuits wait for the TOCA calendar before releasing other dates.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4027111)   #1312
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I do agree, this is something that is constantly changing/evolving. As we found with the Australian GP last year, that was finally cancelled right at the last minute after saying all along that it was going to happen.
Quote:
Yep, that's why if it were me I would make calendar changes now to get right out of the more uncertain window, it would also give others the chance to reorganise their calendars, as many of the circuits wait for the TOCA calendar before releasing other dates.
Unfortunately, because this is constantly changing/evolving no one can predict when this window of uncertainty is going to end. TOCA have to be positive (but also realistic) and I believe that is why Alan Gow is talking the way he is (or was, depending when the interview took place). They're saying that they're aiming/hoping to run the 2021 season as 'normal' but this will have to depend on the guidance coming from on high, and if necessary (like last year), they can make changes and run the meetings safely behind closed doors again (but they clearly don't want to have to, which is understandable).
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:13 (Ref:4027149)   #1313
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i don't understand the overabundance of caution here. the season is due to start in early april. that's just under three full months away. we need to wait a solid 6-8 weeks before we start making decisions that severely impact teams and individuals.

there's three potential situations we could be in come april.

1. things can proceed with guests and spectators in whatever number
2. things can proceed behind closed doors
3. no racing can occur

everyone should have a financial and personal plan for each of those outcomes. there's an equal chance of any of them happening right now, and each has their own consequence and arrangements. none of us want to think about 3 happening and 2 will be pretty uncool, but we do need to do it.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:29 (Ref:4027153)   #1314
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't understand the overabundance of caution here. the season is due to start in early april. that's just under three full months away. we need to wait a solid 6-8 weeks before we start making decisions that severely impact teams and individuals.

3. no racing can occur

everyone should have a financial and personal plan for each of those outcomes. there's an equal chance of any of them happening right now, and each has their own consequence and arrangements. none of us want to think about 3 happening and 2 will be pretty uncool, but we do need to do it.
Totally agree Bella
Old 6 Jan 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4027155)   #1315
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

3. no racing can occur

This seems spot on.

Whilst things are uncertain and ever-changing, starting on the planned date may be the best time, and conditions may be less favourable in the future.

IMO, rather than attempt to plan for there being no/minimal COVID measures in place and shifting things around, the focus now needs to be the opposite way. i.e. accept that COVID may be here to stay, so how do we operate whilst a COVID risk is ever-present.

Plan to work with COVID being around, not avoid COVID being around.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4027185)   #1316
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can’t understand why , if we end up similar to last June/July onwards that there should be any problem with allowing spectators albeit at reduced numbers. Brands Hatch proved that it was possible to allow spectators at a limited number, so why couldn’t that be applied at a BTCC meeting? Other ‘elite’ sports were able to have spectators in certain areas, and a racetrack is far more expensive than a football stadium.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4027191)   #1317
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
I can’t understand why , if we end up similar to last June/July onwards that there should be any problem with allowing spectators albeit at reduced numbers. Brands Hatch proved that it was possible to allow spectators at a limited number, so why couldn’t that be applied at a BTCC meeting? Other ‘elite’ sports were able to have spectators in certain areas, and a racetrack is far more expensive than a football stadium.
Unfortunately, the experience I had at Donington at two meetings earlyish in the delayed season where spectators *were* allowed was that although they had the best intentions, as a collective group they would not abide by all the rules all of the time. Not that it was intentional; people simply forgot some of the basics occasionally.

At one meeting we were having to distance from each other, which meant taking up positions we wouldn't normally be in - and several times, family groups congregated right against the fence at my back, very definitely within two metres. A chain link fence isn't the best respiratory protection! They did move on when asked to, thankfully, but it would only take one such instance to result in transmission and we'll all be back to square one (no racing at all). That's just one example; there were more, sadly.

It was definitely odd being at meetings without spectators - especially the BTCC - but having no spectators means far fewer variables to juggle for everyone involved and a massive reduction in the public health risk.

I'd love to be back to tens of thousands of spectators, but not if it means some of them dying. It really is that stark.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4027194)   #1318
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Unfortunately, the experience I had at Donington at two meetings earlyish in the delayed season where spectators *were* allowed was that although they had the best intentions, as a collective group they would not abide by all the rules all of the time. Not that it was intentional; people simply forgot some of the basics occasionally.

At one meeting we were having to distance from each other, which meant taking up positions we wouldn't normally be in - and several times, family groups congregated right against the fence at my back, very definitely within two metres. A chain link fence isn't the best respiratory protection! They did move on when asked to, thankfully, but it would only take one such instance to result in transmission and we'll all be back to square one (no racing at all). That's just one example; there were more, sadly.

It was definitely odd being at meetings without spectators - especially the BTCC - but having no spectators means far fewer variables to juggle for everyone involved and a massive reduction in the public health risk.

I'd love to be back to tens of thousands of spectators, but not if it means some of them dying. It really is that stark.
Understandable, perhaps we’re a bit more for want of word ‘sensible’ down here because the meetings I attended at BH were really well behaved, everyone respected each other’s space and it felt really calm and well mannered.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4027198)   #1319
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
Understandable, perhaps we’re a bit more for want of word ‘sensible’ down here because the meetings I attended at BH were really well behaved, everyone respected each other’s space and it felt really calm and well mannered.
For balance, before spectators were banned via the tier system, there was a general good level of observation and respect, but just occasionally it got forgotten. It was not a comfortable experience when it happened!
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4027210)   #1320
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For Scalextric fans, Turkington and Hill's 2020 cars have been added to their range. Shame not to see a few more.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4027244)   #1321
spoton
Rookie

spoton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There’s a piece in Motorsport news about Dave Bartrum selling motorbase to Shaun Hollamby and Pete Osbourne. A four car team for 2021.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:35 (Ref:4027250)   #1322
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That makes 3 four car teams in 2021, after HARD and Excelr8
Old 6 Jan 2021, 19:35 (Ref:4027265)   #1323
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoton View Post
There’s a piece in Motorsport news about Dave Bartrum selling motorbase to Shaun Hollamby and Pete Osbourne. A four car team for 2021.
Oooh, that’s out early, was due tomorrow I believe!
Old 6 Jan 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4027278)   #1324
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoton View Post
Shame, end of an era, Bartrum and Motorbase has been a big part of the BTCC in the last decade or so.

Wonder whether they'll be running under the Motorbase name, or AmD, or MB? Let's not combine them into another stupidly long team name... AmD Tuning with MB Motorsport with Motorbase Performance accelerated by Blue Square accelerated by Green Group accelerated by the Andy Neate Fan Club
Old 6 Jan 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4027281)   #1325
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
AmD Tuning with MB Motorsport with Motorbase Performance accelerated by Blue Square accelerated by Green Group de-accelerated by Andy Neate
Fixed that for you