Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2730125)   #1301
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A bit off topic but I read somewhere that Hamilton is the driver most disliked by other drivers.....

As for Webber and Vettel, yes I dont believe we have seen the last Turkey type incident of the year. I have no faith now that either of them will win the WDC and the team wont win the WCC. They are both too intent and focussed on not letting the other win now in my opinion. It has gone well beyond a 'healthy competition'.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2730164)   #1302
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Tension between competing team-mates is almost a given. Things even got a little bit edgy with Button and Barrichello last year and they're friends. As for Hamilton being unpopular, I refer you to Martin Brundle:

Legard The drivers always seem to gang-up on Lewis in the drivers briefing. Why do you think that is? (paraphrasing)

Brundle Because he's quick.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2730191)   #1303
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I think that was a group of guys which included Chris Hiatt-Baker, a one time Formula Ford pilot I got to know in the mid 70's. He was also into Hang Gliding, and in fact anything as long as danger was involved!
I thought it was those Polynesian chaps back in the day before europeans jumping off bamboo towers and using vines etc---this is serious, anyone old enough to have grown up in the 60s or 70s as a kid reading National Geographic will remember this.

it was a manly proving thing that they came up with, plus it was most likely for exactly for the same reason people do it now or hang glide, or whatever dangerous thing, for the rush.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2730201)   #1304
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Bungee jumping? No thanks. I'd rather jump off a bridge.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2730291)   #1305
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I thought it was those Polynesian chaps back in the day before europeans jumping off bamboo towers and using vines etc---this is serious, anyone old enough to have grown up in the 60s or 70s as a kid reading National Geographic will remember this.

it was a manly proving thing that they came up with, plus it was most likely for exactly for the same reason people do it now or hang glide, or whatever dangerous thing, for the rush.
Now you mention it, I think I saw the same, or a similar ritual on TV in the last 12 months or so, probably Nat Geo on our local Pay TV channel..... but my recollection is they just tied vines round their ankles and jumped from a much lower height (maybe 30 ft or so). Mind you with no give in the vines it looked more likely to rip your your hip socket out as the stop was, well lets say abrupt! Question would be whether jumping off a platform with in effect a non flexible rope stopping you would classify as bungee jumping, where you rebound on the spring of the cord....

However, as it seemed to be some ancestral (ie long standing) passage to manhood I do agree that it would almost certainly have been the bungee jumpers 'inspiration' (probably along with several large drinks for the Dutch Courage).

All I can add is that both forms of jumping are bloody insanity.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2730399)   #1306
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Continuing the OT, I've swung around on Lewis. I think he's infinitely more likeable now than ever before, and I think his rivals are coming around to that way of thinking too. I think he's become more sporting both on and off the track - without losing the sheer mentalness to his driving.

This transformation seemed to start around the time is father stopped managing him... coincidence?

I also think his time in an uncompetitive car last season did wonders for him maturing beyond the precocious and spoilt little twerp that he seemed when he was first parachuted into a championship-challenging car.

Interestingly, Vettel seems to have done the reverse...
Old 22 Jul 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2730432)   #1307
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I also think his time in an uncompetitive car last season did wonders for him maturing beyond the precocious and spoilt little twerp that he seemed when he was first parachuted into a championship-challenging car.

Thus, it must be mandatory that all the new stars begin their careers in Minardi (resurrecting that lowly and lovely team, of course). I don't know if I'm writing this as a joke or seriously
Old 22 Jul 2010, 03:09 (Ref:2730437)   #1308
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
Thus, it must be mandatory that all the new stars begin their careers in Minardi (resurrecting that lowly and lovely team, of course). I don't know if I'm writing this as a joke or seriously
Worked for Mr Alonso too...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Jul 2010, 07:26 (Ref:2730478)   #1309
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Continuing the OT, I've swung around on Lewis. I think he's infinitely more likeable now than ever before, and I think his rivals are coming around to that way of thinking too. I think he's become more sporting both on and off the track - without losing the sheer mentalness to his driving.

This transformation seemed to start around the time is father stopped managing him... coincidence?

(I have to agree with this mac. Although I was highly impressed with Early Lewis' results, I wasn't too keen on his attitude. I also thought his father was too overbearing and appeared to be living his own motor-racing aspirations through his son (a common attitude with karting fathers, and that's of course where they've both come from).
Now he's more his own man, Lewis appears to have matured, and maybe having Jenson as a team mate is helping him here too. They appear to have a genuine friendship & mutual respect for each other.

Sorry folks, I seem to be helping this thread go totall off topic here, maybe the moderators should split this off on its own?)
Old 22 Jul 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2730734)   #1310
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i am going to go on record and say i think RBR have moved past recent problems and they wont implode. I think the Silvwrstone blow up will turn out to be the turning point for their season and we will see both RBR cars on the podium more often ..
Old 22 Jul 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2730778)   #1311
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I know one shouldn't take Facebook too seriously, but one well-known journalist commented that he was looking forward to the race and thought it was pretty open, but almost all the replies, also from names known to me, said they thought it would be a Red Bull fiesta and that Webbo (sic) would hopefully stick it to his young German rival.

Interesting if that reflects the feeling within the paddock.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2731668)   #1312
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im a massive fan of Webber's but i think he needs to calm it down a bit.
I think his comments last race at Silverstone were justified, but ive just seen on the news an interview with him saying at Hockenheim something along the lines of that Vettel is a good team mate but he wouldnt call him a good bloke.
I think the best thing now is to came down all the off track issues at RBR and focus on the racing. No need to keep up with this inter-team rivalry. Its not going to help at all.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2731721)   #1313
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RBR PR dept should get them on Top Gear in the F1 drivers reasonably priced car to settle this debate and get some free publicity
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2732456)   #1314
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel owned Webber in Q and the R. Although Webber had a problem and Vettel defended poorly.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2732458)   #1315
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTF- Whoever made Webbers pit call should be strung up!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2732459)   #1316
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both were below par. Mark did get screwed over a bit by Red Bull bringing him in when they did, which ultimately lost him the place to Jenson, but it didn't change things in terms of the battle versus his team mate. But Vettel lost more points today

Red Bull still doing their best to lose the championship
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2732468)   #1317
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Lost more points today". I get what you mean, but what a delightfully desperate way to look at it. He lost more points today, but also gained more points.

Vettel came across well on the red button and it was fun. He wanted to be there giving an interview. Fair play to him.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2732471)   #1318
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is my opinion that Red Bull won't win the title unless they choose one driver over the other. It didn't come into play today but the Mclarens are far too consistent and the Red Bull drivers aren't.

Of course Horner is clearly against such blatant favoring of one driver over the other as he stated in his post race Ferrari bashing fit. Just don't mention front wings to him.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2732506)   #1319
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Point being they had just bought Vettel in and saw how close he was to getting in the traffic, and imediately bought Webber in from 5 seconds behind. They, Hamilton and Webber had clear track for several laps which would have put them in front of traffic???? Obvious at the time for those on pit wall. Hamilton ran one extra lap and cleared. Webber had fastest pit stop which could have given him a chance to pass Hamilton should he have gone more laps?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2732868)   #1320
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
So there was an error in strategy regarding Webbers pit stop? Deliberate or an accident? Are we going to debate the conspiracy theory?
No.

Its racing. Its subject to human error. drivers and pit crews are human, not automons so lets get real.

Vettel had pole, blew the start. He tried to squeeze Alonso just as he tried to squeeze Webber at Silverstone and both times he's come off the worse for it. At Silverstone he went off and at Hockenheim massa went around the other side and emoerged in front at the end of the lap.

The boy is still a boy in racing terms. Fast, yes. But not yet a man. Not savy or experienced in racing thought as are Webber, Massa, Alonso, Hamilton or Button. And that is where Red Bull have made their internal mistake. They backed the wrong horse.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2732870)   #1321
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While Potsie's engine got turned down so it didnt go BOOM!

Can a modern day F1 engine run with no oil in it? Story goes Potsie's may have...
Old 25 Jul 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2732876)   #1322
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
So there was an error in strategy regarding Webbers pit stop? Deliberate or an accident? Are we going to debate the conspiracy theory?
No.

Its racing. Its subject to human error. drivers and pit crews are human, not automons so lets get real.
You are right they messed up. They could have got Webber to blow his engine up today and be behind Vettel in the championship. Instead they have the same number of points. A huge mess up.
Quote:
Vettel had pole, blew the start. He tried to squeeze Alonso just as he tried to squeeze Webber at Silverstone and both times he's come off the worse for it. At Silverstone he went off and at Hockenheim massa went around the other side and emoerged in front at the end of the lap.
Yep, it was pants.
Quote:
The boy is still a boy in racing terms. Fast, yes. But not yet a man. Not savy or experienced in racing thought as are Webber, Massa, Alonso, Hamilton or Button. And that is where Red Bull have made their internal mistake. They backed the wrong horse.
Webber, a savy racer? I had him marked down as just a racer.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2732899)   #1323
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
How many engines do Mr Vettel and Mr Webber have left?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2732904)   #1324
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel has his own plus Webber's. Webber has none.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2732929)   #1325
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I say other than Vettel's immaturity cost him the race, off the start?

Too worried about Alonso was doing... that he left the door wide open for Massa and lost two places instead of just one.

Btw, I cannot stand the way the certain drivers try to squeeze the car on the inside just after the start. Vettel is one of the worst offenders, IMHO.