Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3475823)   #1326
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it not so much the points (double points) for me as it is total number of wins.

i know consistency matters but with 10 wins to 5 going into the final and with two separate stretches (first with 4 in a row and second with 5 in a row), LH has also been for me has been the more consistent driver as well.

have gotten used to bashing BE at every turn but awarding titles based on number of wins in a sport which places little to no value to anyone other then the best makes a certain amount of sense.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3475840)   #1327
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I know there are a lot of people who think Hamilton deserves the title and would be outraged if Rosberg won because of double points, but is there anyway for Rosberg to win the title without everyone saying "Hamilton should have won"?

Let's say Rosberg wins and Hamilton retires, Rosberg would have won the championship either way. Or (in the highly unlikely event) Hamilton has an appalling race for whatever reason and finishes outside of the points giving Rosberg the championship, would people still say Rosberg is an undeserving champion?
If they finish in such a way so that Rosberg would have won the WC without double points, then that would be a fair result. Without double points, Nico could only win with a 1st or 2nd and Hamilton finishing 7th or DNF respectivly. With double points 5th place is enough for Nico if Ham DNFs. Quite a difference so I hope whatever the reult, it's not affected by this unpopular change of award.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3475899)   #1328
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
If they finish in such a way so that Rosberg would have won the WC without double points, then that would be a fair result. Without double points, Nico could only win with a 1st or 2nd and Hamilton finishing 7th or DNF respectivly. With double points 5th place is enough for Nico if Ham DNFs. Quite a difference so I hope whatever the reult, it's not affected by this unpopular change of award.
Just because it's fair doesn't mean people won't think Rosberg's an undeserving champion, I don't agree with that but it seems to be the general consensus.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3475996)   #1329
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Lewis will win this race, he is going to dig very deep .....
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3476158)   #1330
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis will win this race, he is going to dig very deep .....
Unless, as Toto Voolf fears his car has trouble!!!
Old 18 Nov 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3476304)   #1331
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully we'll get a good race without reliability becoming an issue - although I'm not sure the Abu Dhabi track is the best to deliver that. As a neutral though it is interesting reading about the relative merits of Hamilton and Rosberg, particularly when it relates to overtaking.

One the one hand Hamilton's aggressive moves are lauded (Austin - running rosberg out wide) but helped by rosberg ceding ground to avoid a collision, yet the spa incident is comparable, only differentiated by Hamilton not backing out (regardless of whether you believe rosberg chopped him deliberately).

Anyway, hopefully button will continue McLaren's recent improved form and time will tell whether it's his last gp and we get a cracking race
Old 19 Nov 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3476601)   #1332
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good call about the possible last race for Button as being something worth keeping a very close eye on.

also would like to see Kimi and Seb get into something before they become team mates next year. iirc there were some moments years back in Brazil between Montoya and Kimi before they became team mates, perhaps even set the tone for their partnership. would be nice to see if Kimi still has that type of fight in him.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3476716)   #1333
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Unless, as Toto Voolf fears his car has trouble!!!
No Problem, then Merc will park Rosberg!
Old 19 Nov 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3476732)   #1334
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Just because it's fair doesn't mean people won't think Rosberg's an undeserving champion, I don't agree with that but it seems to be the general consensus.
You are not alone.
Before this season started I was a secret admirer of Rosberg and felt he would run Hamilton very close, but as the season has played out I feel Hamilton deserves the title more then Rosberg and would be disappointed if Hamilton was beaten to it by the rules or mechanical failure.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3476765)   #1335
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree Hammy deserves it on merit based on results this season. Be a travesty if he loses it on this double points fiasco or mechanical failure
Old 20 Nov 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3476773)   #1336
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
No Problem, then Merc will park Rosberg!
That's what I would do....
Old 20 Nov 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3476841)   #1337
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That's what I would do....
Travesty not to with the number of wins, usually figure a heuristic figure of six will get a championship! Not too many exceptions.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3476897)   #1338
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep on thinking of Nigel Mansell in 1986 - blown tyre in Australia.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3476903)   #1339
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't give one fig about the 'number' of wins. If consistency bags you the title, then you've got the title. Being consistent is a fundamental part of the sport too.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3476954)   #1340
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
both drivers have been consistent in their own ways this year so is consistency been the differentiator this year or is it down to the DNFs?

for me though, i have a hard time seeing why separate stretches of 4 and then 5 wins in a row is a less consistent record then a driver with a similar record of second places finishes.

anyways the points system is what it is and given how close things have been this year it is a bit like sour grapes complaining now how this adversely effects LH when the shoe easily could have been on the other foot.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3476997)   #1341
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i have a hard time seeing why separate stretches of 4 and then 5 wins in a row is a less consistent record then a driver with a similar record of second places finishes.
Absolutely, especially when the vast majority of said second place finishes are behind your team mate!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3477201)   #1342
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Consistency plays its part, of course, but winning any championship should include a strong element of race wins. Consistency should only play a part if the number of wins between the contenders is close. As far as I am concerned Hamilton is already the 2014 champion even if Rosberg wins the last race and Hamilton fails to score enough points. It will still be 10-6 in Lewis favour, a pretty clear and emphatic margin of victory by any standards. The various (and all inadequate) points scoring systems of every era in F1 have been a bone of contention for me since 1958. That year Moss won 4 races, Brooks 3 and Hawthorn just one, and yet it was the latter who was World Champion. Sheer nonsense and this double points for the last race is just another load of catering to the LCD crap.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3477308)   #1343
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I will not consider either driver as 'true' World Champion given the superiority of their equipment, winning lots of races with the fastest car proves little of value when comparing drivers. Which ever driver wins this years title can boast they are better than their team mate, being World Champion proves it - surely?

Many might think that Ricciardo or Alonso have more claim to be the 'best' driver of the season. Sadly being World Champion often means having more points than anyone else, and little to do with true talent.

Just my opinion.

baiuble.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3477309)   #1344
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Just the same as in other years, though. Just the way it works.

Think Ferrari 02/04, McLaren in 88/89 (if memory serves me correctly)...

Selby
Old 21 Nov 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3477311)   #1345
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I liked the sport when it was '10-6-4-3-2-1' points-wise. You generally got ahead with your wins on that system.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3477373)   #1346
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Just the same as in other years, though. Just the way it works.

Think Ferrari 02/04, McLaren in 88/89 (if memory serves me correctly)...

Selby
Indeed Dan there are many instances where one man/car has dominated, however that was usually the result of 'natural selection'.
A manufacturer/team with a good car seeking the best driver, however, today it seems that with the right car 'almost anyone' can be World Champion.

During 1952/53 Ferrari won 14 Grand Prix in succession, Alberto Ascari winning 11 of them. While the Ferrari 500 was a very good car it was Ascari that made it so dominant.

I find it depressing that so many races theses days are pretty well won before they start.

Maybe I am just getting old.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3477374)   #1347
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So... Ascari had the right car in '52/53 then? Or would he have won in a jalopy of someone else's?

I'm not sure that's a very good example of how things were different back then. It sounds much like the last 4 years in a way.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3477418)   #1348
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I liked the sport when it was '10-6-4-3-2-1' points-wise. You generally got ahead with your wins on that system.
Pah, 9-6-4-3-2-1 was the business. Used when men were real men.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3477419)   #1349
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I liked that format. It worked and like anything that works in F1, someone dedcided to change it.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3477420)   #1350
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Bigger gap between 1st and 2nd with 10 points. It was a good system.

If F1 had've stuck with that system, wonder how F1 would've unfolded in a commercial sense.