Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 Oct 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2561928)   #1351
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Squib Burton and what a great name.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2561936)   #1352
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
70,000 some-odd posts later...
Old 15 Oct 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2561989)   #1353
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, newbie to the discussion! I have just seen that Citigroup are not exactly rolling in dosh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8308816.stm

Surely there can't be anyone dense enough to buy into this concept?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2562010)   #1354
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Mickey. Nobody should buy into it, it is so desperate.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2562029)   #1355
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
Sorry, newbie to the discussion! I have just seen that Citigroup are not exactly rolling in dosh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8308816.stm

Surely there can't be anyone dense enough to buy into this concept?
No one will, under the current economic climate.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2562036)   #1356
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Gillet can raise the money required in 2 weeks then he should be made Chancellor and get us out of the current recession.

Pigs all fed and ready to fly.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2562043)   #1357
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
This is going to screw up the whole of the British racing scene.

Donington destroyed and probably bankrupted for a deal I really can't see them sustaining for the full 10 years.

Silverstone, in order that it does not decline to Rockingham like levels of white elephantism , I can see bidding for just about everything of status that Brands Hatch currently gets. Which in turn....

Really really bad move Bernie, but I guess it was as much about settling personal scores as making the deal.
I've just been looking at early posts on this thread - you must be psychic
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2562143)   #1358
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I've just been looking at early posts on this thread - you must be psychic
Is he Bernie in disguise!!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2562222)   #1359
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 differing opinions from financial analysts:

s&p say the whole thing will be unlikely to succeed and haven given it a poor rating
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE59E4U020091015

moodys say it might just work and consider the project to be stable. http://uk.reuters.com/article/market...LA578320091015
(it took some tracking down Moodys actual report, I had to register on their website but it made for interesting reading. They believe that Donington has sufficient liquidity to complete the project)

So, if The City is divided perhaps Gillett can find enough dopey muppets who will invest.

Personally I would rather the whole was back at Silverstone and Donington was left to lick its' wounds and return to being a good little track for national racing.

Last edited by mickey29; 15 Oct 2009 at 19:55. Reason: forgot to write a sentance
Old 15 Oct 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2562237)   #1360
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sufficient liquidity? - I thought the last accounts showed 28 quid in the bank or something similar
Old 15 Oct 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2562240)   #1361
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Wouldn't we all but Bernie in his wisdom thought different, even though everyone at the time said it would be a disaster. Did he listen?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2562271)   #1362
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
2 differing opinions from financial analysts:

s&p say the whole thing will be unlikely to succeed and haven given it a poor rating
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE59E4U020091015

moodys say it might just work and consider the project to be stable. http://uk.reuters.com/article/market...LA578320091015
(it took some tracking down Moodys actual report, I had to register on their website but it made for interesting reading. They believe that Donington has sufficient liquidity to complete the project)

So, if The City is divided perhaps Gillett can find enough dopey muppets who will invest.

Personally I would rather the whole was back at Silverstone and Donington was left to lick its' wounds and return to being a good little track for national racing.
Moodys... the institution that rated subprime-based CDOs as triple A ! That says it all. They should have been shut down on principle after what's happened in the last 12 months.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2562534)   #1363
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
If Gillet can raise the money required in 2 weeks then he should be made Chancellor and get us out of the current recession.

Pigs all fed and ready to fly.
Good, flying pink pig racing at night presume luminous pigs available for this provided we give 14 stardate zens notice to allow Gillette [close shave boy wonder] to raise enough of the folding. What a load of bull.... almost as good a joke as Cleese not mentioning the war, I'm off to Silverstone for HSCC finals [poor substitute for Portimao I know] where at least a reasonable sense of whats what will take place, at least I will be spared Eddie Jordon and can JB win the title!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2562785)   #1364
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I thought the flying "Pink Pig" was being housed at Zuffenhausen. After all, we can't have that beast taking anyone else off the road like it did to Alain de Cadenet at Le Mans in 1971.

Seriously though, why does Donington just need to go back to being a "good little national circuit"? Unless there's someplace I've forgotten, I will pretty much take a circuit with real undulations over a "flat" track any day. Silverstone has some nice corners, but it has too much technicality added for technicality's sake (and specifically to slow F1 cars) and is relatively flat compared to Donny or Brands.

I hope this comes off. As an alternative, I wouldn't mind an alternating arrangement between Silverstone and Donington.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2562819)   #1365
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I thought the flying "Pink Pig" was being housed at Zuffenhausen. After all, we can't have that beast taking anyone else off the road like it did to Alain de Cadenet at Le Mans in 1971.

I hope this comes off. As an alternative, I wouldn't mind an alternating arrangement between Silverstone and Donington.
It is, I've got some pics of it.

I would love to see an alternating arrangement between Silverstone and Brands again, like in the '70s and '80s; two greatly contrasting circuits, which the drivers liked.

Officially Brands was dropped because FISA had instituted a policy of long-term contracts with circuits, though this didn't stop Hockenheim and the new Nurburgring from alternating. Brands Hatch was 'perceived' as a poorer facility and Brands did have very little run-off area and room to expand, something Silverstone has in acres, though Brands seems to have made up for it now.

Unofficially Brands lost its spot because Bernie got sour grapes as John Foulston the Chairman of Atlantic Computers and owner of Brands, didn't want to sell Brands to Bernie.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2562821)   #1366
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Donington was a great circuit as it was. I drove it many many times and I was fortunate enough to be standing just after the Old Hairpin in the pouring rain to witness one of the greatest Grand Prix of the modern era in 1993. It may not have met the requirements of what F1/Bernie wants today... but at least it was a great circuit. What's it now ? A building site. If this ridiculous circus act of Gillet's fails, what chance has it of ever returning to be a motor racing circuit again ? That's the saddest thing about all of this.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2562830)   #1367
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
As you say Donnington was a geat track and with a lot of history. I just get fed up with the continued meddling by Bernie. That's why F1 is mainly in the state it's in; there is no stability or continuity.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2562838)   #1368
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unofficially Brands lost its spot because Bernie got sour grapes as John Foulston the Chairman of Atlantic Computers and owner of Brands, didn't want to sell Brands to Bernie.
Replace 'Brands' with 'Silverstone' and 'Atlantic Computers' with 'BRDC' and I think we're starting to see a pattern forming.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2563215)   #1369
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And maybe it's time to change the title of this thread while we're at it. We could do, something like, Son of British GP to be held at Donington, or how about simply, British GP to be held at Donington?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2563218)   #1370
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whatever you're smoking, I'll have some.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2563231)   #1371
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Oh, you mean pass the spliff?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2563233)   #1372
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Is this the thread about passing? I thought this was the thread about Donnington having the GP.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2563235)   #1373
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Donnington having the GP...?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2563264)   #1374
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Do they, when did that happen?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2563370)   #1375
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my friends/work colleagues managed to access Donington Park today, whilst visiting Donington GP Collection and even I was shocked by his findings and pictures, there is NO CONSTRUCTION GOING ON, NOTHING IS HAPPENING , AND THERE IS JUST ONE J C BALLS DIGGER ON-SITE AND A MR BALLS DUMPER! That is unbelievable and I'm now 100% confident this is a setup and no Donigton GP was ever going to happen!
Closed Thread