Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2850691)   #1376
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
well, think big, include 935s and you get a totally different picture.....
the ALMS was founded in 99' but 911 were wining their varius championships since their introduction...
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2850809)   #1377
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
Thinking twice about it, the Porsche RS Spyder scored wins in 05,06,07,08,09 and 10 (which makes it 6 consecutives years!)
You know what? I think the Porsche RS Spyder run by a competent team with some minor updates could have blitzed the field at Sebring this past week if Porsche decided to continue running it. I guess we'll never know, but I think Audi Sport must be quite pleased to not have to answer questions from within the company as to why a 6+ year old car is even competitive or perhaps even better than their newest cars!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2850823)   #1378
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
You know what? I think the Porsche RS Spyder run by a competent team with some minor updates could have blitzed the field at Sebring this past week if Porsche decided to continue running it. I guess we'll never know, but I think Audi Sport must be quite pleased to not have to answer questions from within the company as to why a 6+ year old car is even competitive or perhaps even better than their newest cars!
Who knows where the Porsche would have been? Do you mean P1? It probably would have got it ass handed to it by all but the Lola and derivatives due to it's lack if development post Penski. On the othe hand if it had the Porsche GT2 engine for P2 it would certainly won the P2 show (probably). But once the ACO balances the Honda against the rest, the porsche would not be a match for the ARX. I say this because the ARX of last year beat the Porsche of 2008 at lemans for qually and race pace when the Porsche had a much larger restrictor to the tune of 3.5 seconds or so.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2851290)   #1379
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Paul Truswell did a nice analysis of the IMSA timing data: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...4211E58A5D49E4

He calculated that 27% of the race was under yellow.

He also found out that the new 908 was running rather slow compared to the LMP1 competitors during the final 4 hours.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2851303)   #1380
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Paul Truswell did a nice analysis of the IMSA timing data: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...4211E58A5D49E4

He calculated that 27% of the race was under yellow.

He also found out that the new 908 was running rather slow compared to the LMP1 competitors during the final 4 hours.
I think there was no need for the 908 to run faster. The Gene car was well behind (but did several sub 1.50 laps) and the Montagny car could probably have caught the HPD but in the interest of any upcoming balancing, Peugeot might have chosen to let the impression persist that a petrol car can reach the podium under the new regulations. Furthermore the new 908 has nothing to prove against the R15, because that car we may have seen racing for the last time.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2851310)   #1381
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I can understand that Montagny did not push at the very end, because they were sure that Oreca would get the win. However, they did not know that more than 4 hours before the end of race.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2851319)   #1382
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I can understand that Montagny did not push at the very end, because they were sure that Oreca would get the win. However, they did not know that more than 4 hours before the end of race.
but at that time they still had a nice margin on the HPD which was only destroyed by the poorly executed replacement of the nose section. There was no need to rub it in by going significantly faster. They knew they had the speed over the HPD.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2851324)   #1383
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
All those that think that the new 908 showed its full pottential at Sebring have been seriuslu duped by the French. We will know peugeuts full potential maybe and i stress maybe after the first few hours of Le Mans.

at Sebring they got enough points in ILMC against AUDI to just be as fast as them or slower for SPA, and show their full potential only at Le Mans, that is if AUDI has a car that can push the Peugeut to its full potential
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2851328)   #1384
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
All those that think that the new 908 showed its full pottential at Sebring have been seriuslu duped by the French. We will know peugeuts full potential maybe and i stress maybe after the first few hours of Le Mans.

at Sebring they got enough points in ILMC against AUDI to just be as fast as them or slower for SPA, and show their full potential only at Le Mans, that is if AUDI has a car that can push the Peugeut to its full potential
last year's Sebring pole time was 1.45.2, this year 1.46.5. (both times 908s and I have not checked the weather differences if any). It makes me wonder whether the ACO desired 3.30 LM laps will once again not be greatly surpassed, although of course at a high speed track like LM the reduced power is of more importance than at Sebring. Anyway, what the new 908 lost on power seems to have been almost adequately compensated by better handling.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2851346)   #1385
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

and several months of development? They weren't holding anything back after qualifying. Errors on track kept them from winning.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2851359)   #1386
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
I have a question how are gt point alocated in alms for sebring, RLR gets 0, do corvettes get 1st, lizards 3d, and robertson ford 5th, esm 6th and risi 7th, or isthere some other way?
Old 22 Mar 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2851394)   #1387
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have a question how are gt point alocated in alms for sebring, RLR gets 0, do corvettes get 1st, lizards 3d, and robertson ford 5th, esm 6th and risi 7th, or isthere some other way?
The ALMS site hasn't updated the points section for 2011 yet, so hopefully it will become more obvious when we see the ALMS points.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2851439)   #1388
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd bet that RLL do get ALMS points.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2851493)   #1389
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't buy that Peugeot hid their pace this time. I don't think Montagny would bother with Quesnel asking for more controled pace. He wants to win, and really try to.

They didn't win because they weren't the strongest this time, two teams were more perfect.

They had the fastest car on one lap, good in trafic too, but obviously lacked top speed against the HPD, and against the Audi too. Plus Pedro f****d up big time on his out lap and that was it.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2851495)   #1390
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I don't buy that Peugeot hid their pace this time. I don't think Montagny would bother with Quesnel asking for more controled pace. He wants to win, and really try to.

They didn't win because they weren't the strongest this time, two teams were more perfect.

They had the fastest car on one lap, good in trafic too, but obviously lacked top speed against the HPD, and against the Audi too. Plus Pedro f****d up big time on his out lap and that was it.
There was no real need to reveal all their secrets before Le Mans. I doubt that Spa will provide more answers. And I would not be surprised if there was some sort of (tacit) agreement between Audi and Peugeot to hold back at least until the 24 hours, in order not to alarm the ACO.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2851503)   #1391
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Asking? No. But Quesnel telling him to go to a certain engine map? Absolutely.
Old 22 Mar 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2851515)   #1392
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One can say they did not try full hard when a factory team wins the race easily and might have played with the margin. At Sebring they were beaten and had to catch up. And they didn't succeed in that catchup.

Maybe Le Mans gets more car/engine optimizations, more preparation and more effort from the team, but when the cars are on the track, the commitment from the drivers and stress put on the car is the same. You can't logically expect the team's mindset at Sebring to have been different from last year's Le Mans when they needed to catch up. (The difference is that they weren't using a dangerously optimized engine and that they didn't know the car enough to extract spectacularly fast catchup laps this time)
Old 22 Mar 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2851514)   #1393
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nm

Last edited by Félix; 22 Mar 2011 at 22:11. Reason: double-post bug
Old 22 Mar 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2851518)   #1394
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Asking? No. But Quesnel telling him to go to a certain engine map? Absolutely.
Exacly not much Montagny could do if Quesnel stick hard tires and downtunes the engine!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2851566)   #1395
flyinglizard
Rookie

flyinglizard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time I had the opportunity to view the entire 12 hour race this past weekend thanks to ESPN3.com and the app for XBOX Live. I felt that the service was great, and I hope it reaches more viewers.

Not the best weekend for Lizard Fans, though.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2851603)   #1396
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must be dense, the ALMS website says the entire race is archived now at ESPN3.com and will be for three weeks. Plus they intend to have the entire race by the end of the week. Ok, fine. I have logged onto ESPN3.com and cannot for the life of me find ANYTHING about archives. What am I missing?
Old 23 Mar 2011, 02:21 (Ref:2851611)   #1397
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
I must be dense, the ALMS website says the entire race is archived now at ESPN3.com and will be for three weeks. Plus they intend to have the entire race by the end of the week. Ok, fine. I have logged onto ESPN3.com and cannot for the life of me find ANYTHING about archives. What am I missing?
http://espn.go.com/espn3/

Under the "screen" there is LIVE, UPCOMING AND REPLAY. Hit the REPLAY tab and got to Saturday March 19th; 1015am. Q'ing is a little further down under Friday the 18th.

Look for ALMS next to the times.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 03:38 (Ref:2851624)   #1398
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you are watching on an Xbox you can save the ALMS as a favorite sport and then get to all replays from the favorite tab as well. If you select auto racing in the drop down above the video box, the ALMS will be the first 2 options in the list. Long Beach qualifying and the race are already in the upcoming box, now for ESPN to promote the race on ESPN/ESPN2
Old 23 Mar 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2851705)   #1399
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
will the race be archived on the americanlemans.com for us non us viewers
Old 23 Mar 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2851707)   #1400
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
will the race be archived on the americanlemans.com for us non us viewers
That was my take, Thanks Fieldo, that got it working, I finally can see the first 8 hours.

dh